An Ancient Bond.

By InuVampireChan

Link breaks the Sheikah slate and following Impa's guidance seeks out the advice of one of his ancestors. More

Prologue.
Zora's Domain.
Divine Beast Vah Ruta.
Travel.
Great Forest of Hyrule.
Death Mountain.
Vah Rudania
Well Deserved Rest
Gerudo Desert
Yiga Clan Hideout
Vah Naboris
Interlude
Forever.

Vah Medoh.

57 2 0
By InuVampireChan

   Blueberry carried them to Ridgeland Tower in Hyrule Ridge, another one that tested their skills and patients. The Tower was in a pool of deep water surrounded by Wizzrobe's that wielded lightning, along with Lizalfos, all the while in the middle of a thunderstorm. It was far from pleasant and Sheik and Link were thrown from that tower enough times Sheik got irritated. He decided on sending Link ahead up while he distracted and fought the enemies. When they finally knocked that tower off their list they headed to Tabatha Bridge Stable.

While they camped and rested at the stables Link took the time to clear out a few shrines. He even wandered below the stables to Tangar Canyon. There were several shrines below but when he reached the Forgotten Temple that was just littered with Guardians, he quickly warped back up to the stables.

The only way across the Canyon safely and with the horse was the Tabatha Great Bridge. Together they crossed that bridge and made their way toward Tabatha Tower which thankfully considering their last tower was a straight climb up to once killing a blight. It wasn't hard to see Rito Village from there. The Divine Beast Vah Medoh was high in the sky and circling around the entire place, like a beacon in the sky.

They made their way back down and Blueberry took them over to the next stable where Link left her in their care right outside Rito Village. Once she was taken care of, Link and Sheik started up the winding set of bridges toward Rito Village.

"Vah Medoh cries a lot more than Vah Ruta did." Sheik commented, looking up at the Divine Beast as it flew around over them. Sheik was right, since they've been here already it's been yelling several times. Not to mention the way it stalked around in the air was rather terrifying. Vah Ruta tried to drown the Zora's but this one looked like it was just waiting for a chance to murder the Rito.

"Do you think we should look for the village head like we did Zora's Domain?" Sheik nodded and they started up the stairs that wrapped around the mountain the village was built into.

"According to my research they have a Village Elder. Impa's books said the current one is named Kaneli. He'll probably remember you, he's over a hundred years old." Great, because that's what Link wants. "But, he also has some diminishing health issues, especially with his eyesight and memory so don't count on it."

At the very edge of the nest like village sat a large older Rito and Sheik pointed him out to Link. Figuring that was the man they were looking for he stepped into the small open wood area and called out to the older man. "Hello? Pardon my intrusion."

The older Rito grumbled and picked his head up seeming to startle from a rest. "Ah, a visitor. Welcome to... oh? Oh! That object at your hip... could it be? Forgive me. Where are my manners? I am Kaneli, elder of Rito Village." He coughed into his wing and cleared his throat. "Now then... is that not a Sheikah slate at your hip?" Link gave a nod of his head. "Oh, my! So it is true! That means you must be a Champion like Master Revali--one of the few able to board Divine Beast Vah Medoh!"

A pause in his talking and suddenly Kaneli was mumbling to himself. "No, no. What am I thinking? The Champions have all been dead for a century. This boy must be a mere descendent who inherited the Sheikah Slate." Well, if that was what he wanted to think Link sure wasn't going to correct him. It was far less stressful this way. "Ah, forgive me." He suddenly said and drew Link's attention back to him. "Descendent of the Champion. If you would listen to this old man's request, you would have my eternal gratitude."

Link nodded again and the old man started to speak. "Thank you. Now that I know you have the blood of a Champion, there is something I must ask you. How to put this... I would like you to deal with Divine Beast Vah Medoh. The giant beast circling above us. Only a chosen one, a Champion, can stop a Divine Beast. You must enter the beast and bend it to your will. I tried explaining this to the more headstrong Rito warriors, but they wouldn't listen to reason. Teba and Harth tried to confront Medoh but it did not go well, and Harth was injured. Teba escaped unscathed, but I fear he now plans to face Medoh alone. As a descendent of the Champion perhaps you can help us. Please, find Teba. If you work together, you may be able to stop Divine Beast Vah Medoh."

Their plight didn't seem as horrible as the Zora's was but if Rito were recklessly getting hurt that wasn't good either. Any one of them could end up getting themselves killed. When he stepped outside the hut Sheik was leaning against the wall watching the both of them. He pushed off and moved to Link's side, walking beside him.

"So, Teba. While you were talking with Kaneli, Teba's wife Saki came over to me. Apparently Teba went off to the Rito Flight Range." He stopped near the railing and pointed out toward the Mountain's in the distance. "It's in Dronoc's Pass at the base of Hebra Mountains." He turned back to Link and looked him up and down. "We'll need to buy you warmer clothes."

"I don't have enough Rupee's for warmer clothes, Sheik." Link had, maybe at most, a total of a hundred rupee's on him. It wasn't easy to make money currently what he had was from a barrel he kicked over accidentally.

Sheik didn't seem bothered by this. "I have money, come on. There's a shop around the corner that sells Snowquill clothing made by the Rito. It's soft." Just what was he doing while Link was getting the Rito's story?

Together they headed down the steps to the armor store run by a red feathered Rito named Nekk. Nekk excitedly greeted them and Sheik headed over to the warm looking armor to the left. It looked expensive though. He looked at the price tags and ran a quick mental calculation. Link nearly stumbled over his own feet when the price hit his head and Sheik shoved the armor top in his arms.

"Excellent choice Master Sheikah! Your Hylian friend will look lovely in the Snowquill set. That will be two-thousand one hundred and fifty rupees." Sheik pulled out his rupee pouch and passed the money over before depositing it back inside his Cloak.

"Sheik, this is way too expensive, I don't even know how to put this headdress on." Quickly Sheik shook his head and frowned at the clothes in his arms.

"I can do it." Sheik nodded his head in thanks to Nekk and left the shop back to the winding pathway. "Should we head back to the stables? I'm not sure sleeping on an open bed with no walls is going to be that comfortable in the mountains. Is it cold up here?" Apparently with the Cloak on it was rather hard for Sheik to tell the temperature change. That was bound to start annoying him, Link was sure, he liked having a hyper awareness to his own surroundings.

"I'm a little chilly, we can head back down if you want."

As they headed back down from Rito Village, Sheik took the pieces of the headdress and tried explaining it to Link. He understood parts of it, that the feathers went behind his ears to wrap around them and provide warmth. They stayed in place by tying around his hair in the front. He could understand that. Expecting him to be able to do it was another thing entirely. Link wasn't even sure he could braid Sheik's hair and he really wanted to.

Once they reached the tables Sheik led Link over to the fire and directed him to sit down in front of it. The light from the fire in the setting evening gave the other's face a soft coloring and Link could swear Sheik's eyes were glowing. It was almost an ethereal look. He held his breath as Sheik reached his hands out and drew the hood back, unhooking it from his shoulders and setting it behind Link. They'd bathed a couple days ago at the last stable they were in so his hair wasn't too horrible for Sheik to mess with. At least he hoped so.

He removed his gloves and sat them with Link's hood, freeing his hands up to work with and manipulate Link's hair easier. The fingers that ran through them and arranged his tangled blonde locks were an incredibly familiar feeling. He wondered, since that first night Link fell asleep in Sheik's lap, if this was something he did more often now when Link was asleep.

Grabbing the parts to the headdress Sheik arranged the feathers behind his ears, settling them properly in place and dangled the ribbons down. He took the front parts of Link's hair and as he started to braid them he worked the ties into the strands. It didn't seem that difficult but Sheik's fingers were much more trained in the act of something so delicate than Link's were.

When he reached the bottom he tied it off with the red gem they came with and took his hands back. Link tilted his head back and forth, finding the weight of the gem odd and yet slightly comfortable. It also gave off a bit of heat of its own which warmed his head and ears. Sheik did the otherside quicker than the first and finished the same way. His fingers brushed against Link's cheek as he took his hands back and dropped them into his lap.

He was disappointed it ended so quickly. "Thank you." His voice sounded hoarse to his own ears and Link turned his head away from Sheik and those piercing eyes.

"Of course. I like hair so it's hardly a burden to do yours. My own is more of a pain to manage." He shook his head. "Tangled mess which is why I keep it braided."

"I could help you sometimes. Brush it, I mean. I'm far from capable of braiding." Sheik smiles in amusement and sits back beside the fire, giving Link some space. "Your hair looks nice... soft."

He gets a hum and Sheik takes hold of his braid, dragging it over his shoulder and dropping it against his chest. "I guess so. Better after it's washed but I try not to wash it that much. Which gets pretty easy when you travel like we do and have no idea when your next bath is." Both true and a horrifying statement. When Link first left the Great Plateau it had to have been almost two weeks before he got a shower, that entire time was rather difficult to remember too. He was in such a daze and cloud of confusion he ran around for a good while just collecting things and killing monsters. Or getting his ass handed to him by those monsters.

"Hey, we own a house now." He replied, smiling over to Sheik. "A house, Sheik. We can go back anytime we want a shower."

Sheik blinked and then smiled softly, fondly, at Link. "You're right, we do. We're homeowners, Link. I hope you don't mind living with me."

Never. Sheik couldn't do anything that would make him regret or hate living with him. That much he was at least sure of. His fondness for the Sheikah was beyond words. He never wanted Sheik to leave him, not even after this was over. Whenever that might be. They still had a long way to go before he needed to think about that at least.

When morning came Link found Sheik once again on top of the stables. He seemed to have a fondness for high places and Link wondered if it was just a habit. The higher up you were the more of your surroundings you could see. Sheik said he used to watch over the Hero of Time, he could see the other doing that by hiding in the trees. He moved back from underneath the awning of the stables until Sheik could properly see him and then waved. Sheik picked his head up from the Sheikah slate and then stood up, flipping off of the roof of the stables and landing on his feet. He checked the Sheikah slate as he walked over, joining Link at his side.

"So, from where we are now, the Flight Range is directly across from us on the other side of Rito Village." So it wasn't actually that far away, convenient. "If we just follow this path here around the side of Rito Village, we should find it easily." The slate was turned around and passed to Link. Sheik had made a series of marks on it with the pin points and even drawn a line to where they were going. He really could work this thing better than Link.

"Why does this sound too easy?"

"I don't think your challenge will be getting to the flight range." Link blinked and looked up to Sheik's eyes. "It's going to be getting Teba to agree to assist you." That made a lot more sense. He assumed not everyone would be like Prince Sidon, with his bubbly and loud personality. "Especially after failing so many times and getting a friend injured, more than his pride will be wounded."

"So, from one Warrior to another, what would you say to him, Sheik?" Link turned and started down the path, Sheik falling into step beside him. He spared the other a glance and saw the contemplating look in his eyes.

"It's not defeat, until you can't get back up." He could see that, for Sheik. The other put so much of himself into everything he did. Even when he was exhausted and couldn't sleep he kept going. He never did anything by half. If he was knocked down he got right back up and kept going. "I'm sure he'll help. Vah Medoh is preventing the Rito from flying, for them that's a rather difficult world for them to accept. With enough logical points, Teba will fight again. He's a warrior, it's what we do."

"I suppose so. You have more confidence in this than I do. But, you two probably understand each other better than I could."

"That's not true." Sheik shook his head and turned his gaze over to the other. "You're a warrior at this point too. A hero among us." He smiled gently but Link found himself distasting the title Hero. He didn't feel like a hero, he was just doing what he could with what he had. That didn't make him a hero. Sheik was helping him, would he consider himself a hero? Clearly given the way that he hid about at Zora's Domain, he didn't want any of the credit at all. Since he was helping Link though he definitely felt Sheik deserved to consider himself a part of the team and a part of the credit.

A tugging on his tunic drew Link to a stop and he turned to look at Sheik. Sheik was motioning to the side among some trees where, snoring loudly and comfortably, was a Hinox. A black one which Link was only slightly sure meant it was stronger than the blue one they took out. "Do you want to fight it?"

"They drop supplies you need, right? Shouldn't be too difficult. I'll stay in the trees and aim for the eye, distract it, you hit from below. It goes faster if you just slip underneath him I noticed." So long as there wasn't a threat of being stepped on, sat on or grabbed with Sheik playing distraction though it should be fine.

He gave a quick nod of his head and the two of them split up, Sheik taking for the trees and Link sneaking up beside the Hinox. He looked up at the trees, watched Sheik wave his hand in a signal, and then swung his traveler's sword at the beast. The Hinox swung up to its feet and made a sound of pain, rubbing at it's eye and searching for it's attacker. It honed in on Link and lifted it's hand up, swinging downward as if it was crushing a bug. Link moved his sword up to defend himself and a Dirk flew through the air, hitting the Hinox right in the eye. It fell backwards in pain, reaching up to defend itself and rub it's eye at the same time. Link took the chance to slash at its body, a series of fluid movements until it gained its strength back.

It was instinct for him to want to move away, to dodge the attacks he knew were coming, but he trusted Sheik. And Sheik's plan was to hit the creature from a distance, to protect Link, and Link was to play close combat. Readying himself he gripped the sword tightly. His body tensed as the Hinox climbed to its feet, searching for Link below him and Sheik in the trees. He spotted Link quicker and focused in on him as another Dirk threw through the air and hit his eyes. Link repeated the process from before and as the Hinox climbed to its feet this time it got the idea to start protecting it's eye.

It clearly wasn't expecting Sheik to throw himself from the trees and into its head. The entire process was quite interesting to watch, he retrieved his lost weapons from before and dug them up underneath the Hinox's large hand. Sheik thrust then into its singular eye and knocked the great beast to the ground once more. Link startled from his state of watching the Sheikah Warrior and threw himself at the Hinox. It didn't take much more after that, with Sheik on top and Link attacking it's waist the Hinox eventually died and vanished into the cloud of malice Ganon's monsters left behind.

Sheik stood along the mess and collected his weapons, sliding them into the holders at his thighs. While Link picked through the weapons he gathered up the Hinox parts too and tucked them into his pack. There were a few good decent swords he could use and he replaced them with the damaged ones or the ones he didn't care too much to wield.

"Alright that's it." He stood up and tested the new bow he got, stretching the string and aiming it. He swung it up onto his back and turned to Sheik. "It's a Sheikah bow, it has a sight on it that lets you aim better from a distance."

Sheik blinked and tilted his head, a curious look. "Interesting. How weapons have progressed since the Hero of Time. However, you need to learn to sharpen your weapons so they don't dull as much and how to better move your body. If you have better body mechanics when swinging your sword around you won't break them as much." Oh, that would be incredibly useful. "You put too much force on your hands and that puts pressure on the sword's blade. Which, when struck at a certain point, damages the blade and eventually destroys it." Was that why he went through weapons like water?

"Could you show me?" He questioned, looking to the other hopefully.

Sheik frowned a bit and adjusted the Cloak on his shoulders, offering a shrug. "I'm not a great swordsman, as I told you, but I know how to do it. I'm not sure I can offer you much, just better stancing."

"I'm fine with anything you can teach me." The reply came quick and loud, Link excited over the prospect of anyone teaching him something that wasn't a machine or a voice in his head.

Sheik huffed a laugh, probably at his over eagerness and nodded. "Later then. We still need to finish our job here and finding Teba is more important." That was a little disappointing but at the very least he understood. Giving a nod they returned to the roadside and continued to follow it around Rito Village. While walking he stumbled across a flower and directed Sheik into chasing it. The other gave him a bewildered look before doing as instructed and chasing the flower. When the flower finally stopped moving a puff of smoke appeared and the Korok popped into existence.

"Ya-tah! You found me! Oh, you can see me? You're not Hetsu, or Link." The Korok tilted it's leafy face side to side and Link stepped up beside Sheik. "Link! A friend of yours? You're still taking the seeds to Hetsu right?"

"Hetsu said he was going home, but yeah I can. This is Sheik."

"Hello Sheik! We're playing a game with Hetsu! He needs the seeds for his maracas, so if you can find us, collect them! Then, take them to Hetsu! He said he'd reward Link by magically expanding his bag!"

"Well, isn't that convenient." He placed his right hand on his hip and shook his head. "The Kokiri never change." Link took the small seed and slipped it into the pouch he bought for them and the Korok vanished.

"I don't actually know where they come from, I just found one after helping Hetsu and it turned into this." Link motions vaguely to the spot the Korok was at.

"The Kokiri? If you remember my story they come from the Lost Words in Great Hyrule Forest. Otherwise known as the Kokiri Forest, or sometimes the Sacred Grove. Though, I think only where the Deku Tree lived it was called that."

Link blinked and squinted at Sheik. "You lost me."

"Don't worry about it." A shake of the Sheikah's head and he was turning away, heading back to the path. "It's something I wanted to show you but we need to deal with this first. We'll keep an eye out for the Kokiri though, I like seeing them."

Back to the path they continued along and the weather began to snow and drop in temperature. Link was glad for the clothes Sheik bought at this point, especially watching the other huddle further into his Cloak. They stopped so Link could grab the Shrine just outside the Archery Range. Again he attempted to drag Sheik inside but he refused, giving vague non-answers that meant he was simply avoiding the topic. He tried to make it quick inside knowing the other was cold and then he returned to Sheik's side.

"Okay, that was pretty easy." He dusted his pants off and looked to Sheik. "To Teba?" A single nod and together they headed up the pathway.

Teba was easy to spot. The White Rito was sitting on the ground beside a small fire. He seemed to be fixing a bow in his lap and raised his head when the two of them entered. "Good evening?" Link tried and swore he heard Sheik snort at his side.

"Yeah? I don't know you. And I'm actually pretty busy here. You should probably go." Well, as starting points went that was pretty poor. Still, Link was determined to not leave here empty handed. Even if he had to sit beside Teba until the other grew tired of him. He took a breath, let it out and calmed his nerves. It was pretty successful.

"I can help... with Vah Medoh."

Evidently that was not the right thing to say. Teba picked his head up and looked at Link like he had just offered to string his bow better than he could. Link swallowed and braced himself. "Let me get this straight." Teba snapped, voice clearly full of anger. "Some random Hylian wants to help me bring down Divine Beast Vah Medoh? Something that none of the Rito Warriors had managed to do. What's your name?"

Lips pressing together he let out a breath he was holding and looked to Teba. "Link, and this here is my friend Sheik." Teba briefly slid his gaze to Sheik before looking back to Link.

"Hmph." He shifted his bow in his lap, wing covering it. "I'm guessing the Elder sent you here to talk some sense into me?" Link nodded once. "Just like the old man, to trust anyone who wanders into the village. Look, you seem like an alright guy, but let's make one thing clear. I'm not going anywhere. As a Rito Warrior I can't rest until my people are safe. The only way I'm going back into that village is if Divine Beast Vah Medoh falls from the sky. If I have to kill it, so be it."

"I understand your frustration." Sheik spoke, gaze firm and unblinking as Teba turned his anger to him. "I understand the pain of having to protect the people around you and being unable to. I understand failure." Slowly he sunk to the ground and knelt across from Teba, putting himself shorter than the Rito but more at his level. He held the other's gaze and placed his hands in his lap. "Not having the strength to conquer the enemy and getting yourself beat in front of those who look to you for protection. Considering yourself weak and watching your allies fall around you."

Teba shook his head and turned his gaze from Sheik. "You know nothing."

"You're wrong." Firmly he raised his voice, enough to get Teba to look back at him. "I know what it is to fall and get back up. Because it is the only choice you have to protect those you care about. We are warriors and it doesn't end even if you feel like you can't get back up. You have to, because protecting them is all that matters." Teba didn't reply and Link felt that Sheik had finally gotten through to him. Sheik watched him silently for a few minutes, head still held high and gaze still locked with Teba's, and then he spoke again. "Sometimes when you can't win on your own, warriors have to work together. Have to rely on each other. Link was serious when he said he could help you."

Teba shook his head and went to speak but Sheik beat him to it. "Listen to me before you object! Do you see the device on his hip?" Reaching out Sheik pointed to the Sheikah Slate. "That device can help Link get inside Divine Beast Vah Medoh. He just needs to get close enough to do it."

Reaching the end of his speech Teba seemed to take a moment to digest this information. He looked Sheik over, observed the slate, and then let out a long sigh. "I see. If we approach Medoh recklessly, it's cannons will blast us out of the sky before we even get close. So, I think I should test you before I take you with me." Teba motions to the range behind Link and he turns to look out over at it. "We Rito use the updraft in this ravine to hone our Aerial archery skills."

"I can do it." Link said confidently, turning back to Teba.

"I like your confidence. Let's see what you're made of. You'll have to maneuver through the air and destroy five of the targets set up in this valley in three minutes or less." Link nodded his head sharply and Teba chuckled. "Go for it then."

He turned and looked out over at the range, noting with his eyes the targets and where they were at. Knowing that helped him determine where to jump off at and aim. He let out a breath, turned to look at Sheik and with a nod from his friend he turned back around and ran forward. Link jumped off of the end of the planks and threw up his paraglider. It caught the updraft and threw him into the air, lifting him high and evenly with one of the targets. He let go, grabbed his bow and quickly shot it before catching himself with the paraglider again. One down. He turned himself, aimed for the next one, hitting it and then quickly the one below it. Three. His fingers slipped as he tried to grab the paraglider, tips scraping against the bar. His heart skipped and he threw his other hand up, looping the bow over the bar and dragging it back down. Fixing himself he floated toward the back catching the updraft once more and lining himself up. This time he was more careful when he let go, pulling the arrow back and letting it out before loading the next one on and turning to hit the target behind him. He caught himself and drifted back to the starting place.

Teba and Sheik were standing, watching him with various expressions. Sheik seemed happy, proud and perhaps fond. Teba looked pleased and impressed. It was a nice expression considering the grief he was giving him before.

"You're a very skilled archer." Surprisingly he was aware of that, Link enjoyed archery. "It was as if time stopped with every arrow you let fly. I have to tell you Link, when you first showed up I thought someone was playing a prank on me. However, after your friend and watching you with the bow, I can tell you're both the real deal. You must have seen some tough battles." He spared Sheik a look who was averting his gaze to the targets behind Link.

"Hundreds of them." Sheik replied monotoned and Link took a small step toward him.

"I'd believe it." Teba nodded his head and looked from Sheik back to Link. "I can't help but feel I heard your name somewhere before. But, regardless, if you really want to help me take down Medoh there is no time like the present. I'll get you into position so you can give the cannons all you've got."

"I think that's a good plan. Sheik?" He turned his gaze back to his friend, finding ruby eyes locked with his.

"I can't fly. I'm very much a ground person. You've got this, there isn't much I can do to help this time." He shook his head almost as if he was disappointed with himself.

He had a point though, like with Prince Sidon this was going to be a one on one thing with Link and whoever was helping him. At the very least it'll keep Sheik out of the line of fire. "Once I get the teleportation pad working I can come back down and get you." There was no point in rejecting this idea, Link was going to do it regardless. He wanted Sheik up there and with him no matter how they did it. Apparently sensing this Sheik nodded in acceptance. "Alright Teba, let's do this." He turned back to the Rito and grinned. They could do this.

Flying was not quite the same as surfing with Prince Sidon. There was a greater threat if he fell, a fear Link definitely felt. He tried not looking down but instead at Vah Medoh. "Normal arrows won't put a dent in those cannons, you need to hit them with bomb arrows!" Link nodded and reached up to his quiver, pulling one out. "I have some on me if you run out. They're rare though so don't waste them!" Don't miss, he got it. "Alright, it's showtime!"

The closer they got suddenly Vah Medoh was enveloped in a red glow. "Medoh senses our presence. It has its barrier up again, what a pain. Let's go over the plan. You see those lasers? I'll draw their fire. While I'm doing that, use your bomb arrows to destroy the cannons. Got it so far? Don't bother aiming for anything within Medoh's barrier, it's impenetrable. And whatever you do, don't get close enough to touch it. Got it?" He nodded again and pat Teba's shoulder. "Alright, we can go whenever you're ready."

"I'm ready."

"Alright now go blow up those cannons." He threw Link from his back and Link quickly snapped his paraglider up. The updraft caught him and carried him toward the Divine Beast. Teba swopped down below him and drew the attention of the first laser. While it attacked him Link dropped from the sky and pulled his arrows out. He loaded the bomb arrow up, pointed at the first cannon and let it fly. It hit and exploded the cannon upon impact, taking down the first one. He pulled the paraglider back up and caught the drift, sending him far back up into the air. Tilting it forward he used the wind to carry him toward the next target, relying on Teba to distract those lasers from him. It reminded Link of when Sheik and him fought the Hinox, one person covering for him while he attacked. He reached the next cannon and tucked the paraglider back down, pulling out his bow and bomb arrow as he fell from the sky. Lining it up he pulled the arrow back on the string, aimed and let it fly. Another explosion and he heard Teba call out that they had one more to go as he caught himself with the paraglider.

Flying around to the other side of the Divine Beast he got himself as close to the cannon as he could and dropped, grabbing his bow and aiming the final arrow. As he let it go the laser took aim at Teba and he watched the Rito get hit in the left thigh. Teba cursed and wavered in the air, distracting Link enough he didn't notice the barrier on Medoh drop or remember to grab his paraglider. Teba swept in low and caught Link on his back, face scrunched up in pain. "Well done Link, that thing is history."

"You're hurt!" Bad too, Link could see he was bleeding and that the gash went quite deep.

"Yeah, I got hit pretty badly. I'm going to fly you to the landing pad there and then... return to the flight range. Good luck, it's all you!" He tossed Link down onto Medoh's back. Link landed and turned around, watching Teba throw him a thumbs up before flying off. He waved and turned, looking around and spotting the terminal for the teleporter just in front of them. He headed over and pulled the Sheikah slate out, tapping it to the terminal and activating it.

Well now. I've seen that face before. I had a feeling you would show up eventually. But making me wait a hundred years is a bit... indulgent. You're here to wrest control of Medoh away from Ganon, correct? If so, then the first thing you'll want to do is find yourself a map.

Link stepped around to peek inside the Divine Beast, spotting the first terminal in the back.

That Guidance Stone has the information for the layout of the Divine Beast. Can you make it there?

The voice fell quiet and Link realized that never once had someone told him the name of the Rito Champion or their story. He was sure he heard the Elder mumble it, but he hadn't coherently heard it. It didn't help, he didn't remember them either. Well, at least he made it here. Shaking his head he turned around and pulled out the Sheikah Slate. He tapped the map a few times until he got Rito Village pulled back up. He hit the teleporter for the shrine there and let the magic take him back to the Village below. When he appeared he glanced around and quickly located Sheik leaning against the fence. When he headed over to the other Sheik smiled to him, eyes lighting up and pushed away from the fence.

"You did a great job. Don't worry, Teba made it to the flight range, I watched him. He didn't want help though." That doesn't surprise Link, he was a proud Rito Warrior.

"Great, that's great. I was so worried. Getting hit by one of those lasers isn't a joke. I've come close, way too many times. The first time one of them activated near me I think I had a heart attack." He shook his head and breathed out a sigh of relief before smiling too Sheik. "Well, Vah Medoh is activated, ready?" He offered his hand out and Sheik stepped forward, placing his palm in Link's hand. He was so happy to not have to be doing this alone anymore. He hoped Sheik knew that.

They stepped through the entrance to Vah Medoh and Link pointed out the guidance terminal to Sheik. "Do you know anything about the Rito Champion?"

"Mm, his name was Revali." So Sheik did do research while he was up here with Teba, or did this come from Kakariko Village? "He was naturally gifted at flying and using a bow. But the people I talked to said he pushed himself to great extremes to try and better himself, often getting injured in the process. That was about all I managed to learn, they revered and loved him to the point they named that landing point in Rito Village after him." That reminded him of Zora's Domain and the statue they had of Mipha or the river they named after the Zora Princess, Ruto. Honestly, Link hoped they never named anything after him. No statue in his honor.

Link pulled his bow off of his shoulder and shot the Malice eye above them. "I don't remember. I haven't remembered anything so when I heard him speaking, like with Mipha, I wondered what his name was."

"I see." Sheik leaped across to a platform and turned to face Link. "I wonder if it'll be the same for all of the Divine Beasts. I guess that would make sense, their spirits are bound to the Divine Beasts with a sense of purpose." Grabbing the Sheikah Slate Link used magnesis to move the platform closer to him so he could jump across and stand with Sheik. "Suppose it makes it easier in a way though, we won't have to control these machines personally."

They took out the Guardian that blocked their path easily and made it across to the Terminal. Link headed over with the Slate and placed it inside the terminal to collect the map for the Divine Beast.

You'll need to look closely at your map of the Divine Beast. The Terminals that will be used to activate Medoh will be marked with glowing points. You will need to activate all of the Terminals to take back control. Think you're up to it?

Sheik took the Sheikah Slate and opened the map, looking down at the screen. Moving in closely he pressed himself into Sheik's side and looked down to the map with him. "Hmm it seems the map in this Divine Beast will allow you to tilt Vah Medoh. This will cause platforms and items to drift accordingly I assume. Like those blocks we were standing on before." He pointed to the glowing spots. "Vah Medoh has five terminals too like Vah Ruta." He closed the slate and handed it back to Link. "Well, let's start down and work our way up. There's a terminal to the left in the wing."

They made their way to the main room and dropped to the bottom floor. Link took out the blights around and checked for stray chests though he never found anything white useful compared to fighting monsters. Together they headed through the passage on the left side out into the open air. There was an eye in the distance that Link got to use his Sheikah bow to snipe. They stopped in front of a cart and Sheik looked it over before pulling out the slate. "So, if we tilt this it should carry us to the Terminal, right? Link, get inside first."

He wasn't sure he liked this idea but it did seem right. So he stepped inside the very unsteady looking cage and Sheik pressed in behind him. They stood close together and Sheik looked down to the map. He clicked the purple arrow to change the tilt of Vah Medoh to the top. The effect was instant. Vah Medoh started to shake and adjusted it's flying tilt, moving to the right and knocking the cage to fall downward. It hit hard on the other side, shaking the both of them and nearly throwing Link to the ground.

Once he got his balance back Link stepped out and hurried up the steps to the terminal. The Sheikah slate activated it and Revali counted down for him just like Mipha had.

"There's a door over here." Link turned to find Sheik indeed standing before a door. He moved to the other's side and together they passed through it. The moment they stepped through an eye above the door swooped down to look at him and made that ugly blinking sound. They moved a bit away and Link took out his bow, taking care of that blight. "Hmm, seems we got a bit of a puzzle Link. There's a large battering ram we move against the wall next to the door and, if you look at the rails there to where this battering ram leads, there is a large glowing switch. And two gates."

Link also noticed above the rails Sheik pointed to there were two windmills that were also on the rails. So, the only way to lift the gates is to cause the windmills to spin. Link looked around, taking note of each piece of the puzzle and then spotted a nearby switch on the ground. He pulled his sword out and walked over to it. Taking a quick strike of it he heard something behind him open and a sudden gust of wind to blow in. The wind hit the windmills, causing them to spin and finally, causing the gates to open.

The trick here is that clearly they needed to hit the large switch with the battering ram at full force in order to press it all the way down. Link's eyes widened and he turned to Sheik. "We want to start with Vah Medoh tilted down, and then change the tilt up, so the battering ram moves all the way across the rails. I know this will cause the second windmill to move, which will close the gate. But if we use Magnesis to hold it in place, it'll allow the battering ram to hit the switch. At that point we can make a run for the terminal."

At that point it was just putting the plan into motion. Link stayed by the switch and had Sheik work the slate, timing what they needed in the order it had to be done. When the gates we're finally held open they quickly dashed inside and Sheik sat the slate on the terminal.

Another one down.

"Two out of five, not bad." Sheik handed the slate back to Link who slid it into the holder. "I feel we're doing pretty good."

"It seems more annoying than Ruta was."

Sheik chuckled in amusement and looked to Link. "I'm just glad we're dry this time." He could second that.

"We need to return to the main room for the third terminal that I saw, so let's start heading back." They walked together back to the main room and they checked the map again. They needed to go to the other side, through the room there, and then up. He could do that. "I'll have to paraglide over."

"Or I could jump."

"Or yes, you could show off. I think I'll take the safer way than risking you breaking your ankles if you miss." He got another chuckle from Sheik but the other waved him on, watching from below as Link climbed the ladder. He tilted Vah Medoh a bit with the slate and then paraglided over to the terminal.

Just two more to go.

He headed back down to Sheik's side and checked the map. "There's another one in this room."

"It's over there." Sheik pointed in the distance where Link could barely see a glowing ball. "We need to destroy the rock so the ball can move and hit the switch to open the door." That was easy enough and Link followed Sheik's directions to open the door. They collected the fourth terminal.

"One more. Back to the main room." Sheik nodded and turned, heading with Link back to the main room and down below. They followed the map through a door and then stopped at a gap. Link used the slate to tilt Vah Medoh to an angle that would allow him to paraglide down to the last terminal. Sheik waited behind, clutching the wall and watching Link. He hit the last terminal with the slate.

That was the last Terminal! Now you need to activate the Main Control Terminal! I want you to take a good look at your map. There should be a new glowing point on there. Well? Flap to it!

After making his way back to Sheik the two of them hovered over the map and blinked at it. "It's on top." Which, now that Link thinks about it, he saw that when soaring above Vah Medoh. "That makes sense. We can use the airdrafts on the wings to get up. You need to hang onto me, Sheik." They headed to where Link had told him and he stepped into the airdrift. Sheik moved up against his side and wrapped his arms securely around Link's neck. He tried not to think about it, he really did, but his mind kept wandering to how Sheik's body just curved around his own and was so incredibly warm.

He snapped the paraglider open and soared up to the top level of Vah Medoh. They drifted forward and landed on the fake grass, Sheik let go and stepped back. They both glanced at the terminal in the distance and the Link made an elective decision. "Stay away from it." Sheik didn't even protest, clearly not looking for a repeat of what happened in Vah Ruta. He nodded his head and even took a few steps back, weary of the terminal. He'd mention what happened at some point to Purah and see what she thought. For now, he undoubtedly had a Blight to fight. Grabbing the slate from his hip once more he made his way over to the terminal and then very slowly and cautiously tapped the slate to it.

Just like before it exploded in malice and the energy from the Divine Beast gathered above Link to take the form of the Blight. Windblight varied from his Water counterpart. Where Vah Ruta's fought with a long spear this one seemed to wield a cannon on its arm. He took a few steps back and Revali's voice carried through his head.

Good luck! That thing is one of Ganon's own and it plays dirty! It defeated me a hundred years ago but that's just because I was winging it. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but you must avenge me, Link!

Right. Easier said than done. Not only did this thing apparently shoot lasers at him but it also summoned twisters, on demand. Link found himself thrown across the field within the first three minutes of the fight and just barely dodging one of the cannon bursts. He hurried to his feet and stepped backwards, left foot slipping against the edge of the terrain. His heart was trapped in his chest, pounding away, and as another blast aimed for him he thought that would be it.

Sheik grabbed his arm and yanked him to the side, the blast aimed for his body instead clipping his arm and burning his skin. He gasped in pain and stumbled into Sheik's side, looking up at his friend. "Breath. Do you see the air jets around the field?" Link's gaze swept across the area and he nodded. "Use those to get into the air with your paraglider, then shoot it with your bow in the eye. Do you have any bomb arrows left?" Again he nodded. "Use those they'll do more damage. When it's down, like with the Hinox, hit it. I'll try to draw it's attention." It wasn't a bad plan, Sheik's rarely were. He felt a bit more confident with this and stepped away from his friend. "Can you do it, Link?" He fought Waterblight alone but that was because Sheik was hurt and the determination to check his friend was what pushed him then. Now, now he wasn't alone and if he didn't do this, he'd hurt Sheik. He had to do this, to protect Sheik. And, more than that perhaps, he didn't want to disappoint the other. Taking a breath he let it out and nodded. "Then go!"

They split up and Link took for the air vents around the place. He flew up with the paraglider as Sheik drew it's attention and loaded his arrow. Shooting it in the eye he knocked Windblight down and dropped to the ground. Rushing at it Sheik and him attacked together, slashing at the blight with everything they had. It teleported away last minute and reformed, having them start over.

They repeated the process until the blight warped to the middle of the field and gave a loud cry. Four small little satellites things popped out from the sides of it and Link frowned at them, watching them fly around with a confused gaze. He honestly had no idea what they were supposed to do and that somehow was more terrifying than if he did. They decided to continue the plan from before, it definitely seemed to be the best strategy so Link headed back to the Airstream and floated upward. They got two good hits in and that was when he learned what their new friends did.

When Windblight shot his laser from his cannon arm it hit one of the small satellites that then spiderwebbed to the others... and aimed right for Link. There was a small chance of him being able to dodge it but it felt like staring into the eye of a storm, you had no idea which way would be safe. He took a step to the right and felt something collide into the side of his body hard. Sheik's arms wrapped around his waist and the two of them rolled and bounced across the ground. They hit the side of one of the Airstreams, rolled right over it and finally stopped.

"Get up, Link!" He wanted to, he did, but this was getting exhausting. He propped himself up on his elbows, looked up to the Windblight and found them both pointed at with a red laser. Link was all too familiar with what this was. He tried to stand, not quick enough, and Sheik reached down for his shield. He picked it up, shoved Link behind him and gripped it tightly. The red laser was shot, Link reached for Sheik and at the very last second Sheik swung his arm out and the Knights shield reflected the laser right back at Windblight.

Sheik dropped the shield and Link forced himself onto his feet, sword in hand as he ran at the monster. He swung his sword up and dove it down into the middle of Windblights eye with everything he had.

It gave a cry and burst into the cloud of dust like all the other monsters they defeated. Link used the sword to keep himself standing and panted for breath. He closed his eyes and took a moment to steady himself, feeling blood run down his right arm where the laser clipped him and the pain in his leg from where they smashed into the airstream. His entire body had a heartbeat. Forcing himself back up he took the Sheikah slate once more and headed over to the terminal, placing it over the glowing spots and activating the main control unit. The Divine Beast lit up blue and the glowing lights drew his attention behind him. There stood another Rito, who he assumed had to be Revali.

"Well I'll be plucked. You defeated him, eh? Who would've thought. Well done. Though I thought it was close for a few minutes there. You got lucky, having such a reliable friend by your side. There's something special about him, if he can enter the Divine Beasts, you know." Link hadn't given much thought to it, though considering how many times he was told only the Champions could do that, perhaps he should have. Sheik wasn't exactly normal though, he was a Sage at one point and from a history long since extinct.

"I suppose I should thank you both now that my spirit is free! This means Medoh can return to its rightful owner! Hmph, don't preen yourself just for doing your job. I do suppose you've proven your value as a warrior. A worrier worthy of my ability! A special skill I have dubbed; Revali's Gale!" Like Mipha he shot a glowing ball of light that hit Link right in the chest. Wind seemed to gather around him suddenly and shot him a good few feet in the air, startling him far more than he would have liked. He fumbled for his balance, twisted in the air and landed in a squat. More warning would have been nice.

"It's now time to move on and start making preparations for Medoh's strike on Ganon. But only if you think you'll still need my help while you're fighting inside the Castle. Feel free to thank me now." Link nodded his head and little lights started to appear around his body, that same feeling he got when Mipha pushed him from Vah Ruta overcoming his body. "Or, nevermind, just go. Your job is far from finished, you know." He turned his back to Link and mumbled something Link didn't quite catch as he vanished in a flash of light.

When the light cleared he found himself standing on Revali's landing with Sheik at his side, clutching his left arm and staring up at the sky. Link lifted his own gaze up and watched Vah Medoh get itself properly lined up, crying the same way Vah Ruta had when Mipha took control again. The Divine Beast circled once over and then balanced itself back and flew forward, talons grasping at the head of Rito Village and stopped with its wings spread out. It loaded up a laser and shot it at the castle just as Vah Ruta had.

"And that's another one down--tch." Link snapped his head over to Sheik and widened his eyes. He looked like he was in pain and Link had never actually seen Sheik look like he was in pain. Exhausted, sure, uncomfortable yes especially after Vah Ruta. But not pain.

"Are you alright?"

He nodded his head slowly and Link lowered his gaze down to Sheik's hand that gripped his right arm. It was trembling and clutching the limb to his side. "Didn't exactly have the proper arm equipment on for deflecting a laser. Your gauntlets and bracers are more the type for that." It was impressive, what he did, and probably saved their lives. But Link definitely did not want him to do that again, especially at the risk to his own body.

"Can I do anything for you?" He stepped toward Sheik and grasped his left elbow, offering support.

"I'll be fine, I'll take a potion. We should talk to the elder and Saki before we go, make sure Teba's fine." The Rito was indeed fine and had actually returned to his wife Saki. They didn't really want to bother them. She was treating the wound to his thigh that would ground him apparently for a while. It could have been worse, Link thought and left them to it. They needed time to reconcile with each other from what he was getting the idea of.

He made his way back to the elder Kenali and stepped into the room. The old Rito brightened at the sight of him and chuckled. "You have done it! And you survived, at that!" So he did, though it was thanks to Sheik's help. "You conquered Divine Beast Vah Medoh! To think the beast has taken up roost at the top of the village! It looks simply... divine." Did it? He glanced over to Sheik who shrugged. "If the legends are true, the light from the Divine Beasts will ravage the Calamity. For now, Divine Beast Vah Medoh will become the protector of this village and live on in legend... alongside you." Oh no, no, no he didn't want that. Could they forget that part? Possibly? "Hoo hoo hoo... Oh yes! Of course! I must reward you properly! Feel free to take what you find in that treasure chest. You will get more use out of it than I. What you did was miraculous. Though I should expect nothing less of one from the bloodline of a Champion. Why... you are almost the equal of the very Hylian Champion who fought with Master Revali 100 years ago... All you lack is the sword that seals the darkness. If you had the sword that seals the darkness in your possession, you would be the spitting image..."

Link frowned at that and the old man mumbled off into some sort of deep thought. Again he looked to Sheik, wondering if he knew what the Rito was talking about, but Sheik wouldn't meet his gaze. Letting it go for now he moved to the chest and collected the bow that undoubtedly belonged to Revali. Like with Mipha's spear he'll store it inside the house, it was the best place for them so he didn't break them. Standing back up he turned to Sheik and followed the other outside the small nest like place. He wondered how the Rito got privacy here, it seemed far to open like Sheik mentioned. No protection from the wind or each other.

"Sheik." The other turned and blinked over at Link. "Should we go home?"

His arm still trembled and he still seemed to be in pain, but Sheik smiled at him and nodded his head cheerfully. "Yeah, Link, let's go home." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 5.2K 24
π…πˆππ€π‹ πŒπŽπŒπ„ππ“π’. ❝ i'd give everything to make it good again. i'd do anything to get out of this tailspin. ❞ π…π€ππ…πˆπ‚π“πˆπŽπ...
35.5K 3.2K 27
The story contains cussing, violence, sensitive topic and mature content do read it at your own risk, if you don't like reading books like these than...
Blossom By a.m

Fanfiction

6.3K 482 24
He needed help and she was there to provide it. [A Modern SasuHina Fiction] - by a.m [Published April 7, 2023]
278K 23.6K 61
Doing what 20 year old Nasiem deemed as right, put him in a tough situation. Quickly teaching him a little something about life.