WAR OF HEARTS ━ prince caspia...

By burkhqrt

❝since when could you throw knives?❞ ❝since two seconds ago, apparently.❞ WAR OF HEARTS. | PRINCE CASPIAN X... More

part one
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
part two
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three

eighteen

9.8K 437 208
By burkhqrt

˗ˏˋCHAPTER EIGHTEENˊˎ-

***

THEIR UNLUCKINESS FINALLY seemed to run out, because the storm cleared the next day, and Jace had spotted land. The island became closer in sight as they broke out into different groups, rowing on the longboats to shore. It was different this time—they'd been at sea for the longest they ever had, and the crew was more than excited to finally be on solid ground.

"I doubt the lords stopped here, my Liege," Reep said from the front of the boat next to them. "There's no sign of anything living." Wren craned her head to look at Caspian, who glanced back at the mouse as he spoke.

"Right," he replied, still rowing the longboat along with two other crew members and Edmund. "Well, once we get ashore, take your men and search for food and water. The four of us will look for clues."

"Hang on, you mean the five of us," Eustace corrected from the back of the boat. Everyone turned their heads to look at him in disbelief. He winced. "Come on, please don't send me back to the rat."

"I heard that!" Reep defensively announced from the other boat.

"Big ears," the blonde muttered under his breath.

"I heard that too!"

They all collectively chuckled, and Caspian met Wren's eyes for a split second before sharing an amused look with Edmund, who was sitting behind him. He was still acting odd, the previous night of sharing a bed clearly didn't change his attitude, nor did he bother explaining anything. Typical, she nearly scoffed. He was so stubborn it made her want to throw a rock at his head.

At least he was looking at her, now. And acknowledging that she was there. Though he made no move to touch her arm or grab her arm to help her climb out as they docked the boat like he usually did. This didn't offend her, however, instead she was just annoyed, and glared at the back of his head.

After sending out orders for each of the different groups, Caspian led the four of them up a hill once they were done unloading the longboats. They'd been walking for only about five minutes before he spoke again.

"Look, we're not the first ones on this island," he stated, coming to a stop over a ravine opening, where a rope could be seen tied to the largest rock close by.

"The lords?" Edmund asked.

"Could be," Caspian replied, shrugging, and peering below. Wren's heart stopped, watching as he inched closer to the opening. She had a sudden vision of him tumbling down into the unknown, and forced herself to look away before she did something stupid—like pulling him back or demanding he moved away.

He crouched down to pick up a rock that fit in the size of his palm perfectly, and chucked it into the ravine. It bounced off the sides of the cave with a light echo, before it was out of earshot.

"What do you think is down there?"

"Let's find out," Edmund said, eagerly.

Wren smirked. "Always the adventurer."

"You know it."

He was the first to climb down the rope—the remaining three of them followed quickly after. It was dark and rocky—the only form of light they had was from the sun peeking through some of the cracks at the ceiling. The ground was uneven and had lots of loose pebbles, even Wren's footsteps weren't silent as she scoped out the area.

There was a decent sized body of water towards the center, and Wren stopped short next to Edmund once her gaze landed on something that looked remotely like a person, frozen solid in the pond.

Her jaw dropped. "Oh my God. Is that a person?"

Caspian's head snapped up from the corner of her eye, and he instantly came to her side. "What's wrong?" He answered his own question as he followed her eyes. "What is that?"

"I think it's just a golden statue," Edmund tried to assure, before he quickly went to break off one of the branches that were clinging to the walls. He inserted it into the liquid, before pulling it out just as fast when the branch started to turn into gold, and he dropped it into the water with a yelp. They shared a bewildered look

"He must've fallen in," Caspian mused, crouching down just before the golden man.

"Poor man," Lucy mumbled.

"You mean 'poor lord,'" Edmund corrected, pointing to a shield that was next to the man.

"The crest of Lord Restimar," Wren realized, brows raising. Caspian shot her a proud look which she met with a glare, and he looked away. Good, she thought. Taste of your own medicine.

"And his sword."

"We need it."

"Gonna start calling you King Obvious," Wren muttered, staring as Edmund unseethed his weapon and scooped up the other sword with it.

"Your sword hasn't touched gold," Lucy said.

Caspian shrugged. "Both the swords are magical."

"He mustn't have known what hit him."

"Maybe," Edmund replied, staring at the pool of gold. "Or maybe he was onto something."

Caspian pulled a face. "What are you talking about?"

Without answering, Edmund dipped a seashell into the water and it quickly turned gold. There was a brief moment of silence, before Lucy spoke. "What are you staring at?"

"Whoever has access to this pool....could be the most powerful person in the world."

"Power hungry now?" Wren quipped jokingly, though she shared a concerned look with the others.

Edmund went on as if he hadn't heard her. "Lucy, we'd be so rich. No one could us what to do. Or who to live with."

"You can't take anything out of Narnia, Edmund."

"Says who?" He asked in response, examining the item in front of me. Wren immediately saw where this was going—from the way Caspian's shoulders tensed up and the way he lifted his chin—she shot him a warning look.

"I do."

Edmund picked up his sword, Wren face palmed. "I'm not your subject."

"You've been waiting for this, haven't you?" Caspian demanded, watching him. Wren stepped next to Lucy to get out of the way. "To challenge me. You doubt my leadership."

"You doubt yourself," Edmund sneered.

"You're a child."

"And you're a spineless sap!"

Wren disagreed entirely—but kept her mouth shut and continued to look at them with a hand placed on Lucy's shoulder. "Edmund," she warned, but he shoved her off.

"I'm tired of playing second fiddle. First it was Peter, and now it's you. You know I'm braver than both of you. Why do you get Peter's sword?! I deserve a kingdom of my own! I deserve to rule!"

"If you think you're so brave," Caspian said lowly, shoving him back. "Prove it!"

Edmund lunged at him with his sword, and Caspian replied immediately with his own. Lucy stared at Wren pleadingly, and the older girl flipped out two daggers, throwing them narrowly past both of their heads. The pair recoiled back, temporarily stopping their duel to look at her.

"Enough," she stated in a voice she'd never heard herself use before. Her voice was laced thick with authority. "You're both acting like bitter children, and I'm sick of it. You," Wren turned to give Caspian a hard look. "Need to pull your head out of your arse. And you," she was glaring at Edmund now. "You need to get over yourself. You don't always get to have what you want—and taking it out on other people is ridiculous and stupid. Put your weapons away and shut up."

"This is exactly what Coriakin was talking about," Lucy declared as they reluctantly seethed their swords, faces paling, and Wren struggled to remember who she was talking about. Oh, the answer dawned on her. That's his name. "This place is tempting you. Let's just get out of here."

Wren glanced between the two men, before clenching her jaw and walking over to retrieve her daggers—and without a word to either of them, she followed after Lucy.

authors note

wren yell at me next

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

219K 5.4K 62
Completed A Peter Pevensie Story Stumbling upon an entire new world just behind a door, Aria had her prophecy written from ancient times and it was n...
14.5K 241 14
Seraphina, princess of the merfolk, was forced to flee the seas of Narnia because the white witch attacked the sea kingdom. That same fatal day Serap...
27.9K 825 39
❝𝐻𝐼𝑆𝑇𝑂𝑅𝑌 𝐼𝑆 𝑂𝐹𝑇𝐸𝑁 𝐹𝐴𝐵𝑅𝐼𝐶𝐴𝑇𝐸𝐷.❞ 𝐁𝐄•𝐋𝐋𝐈•𝐂𝐎𝐒𝐄 [𝘣𝘦𝘭-𝘪-𝘬𝘩𝘰𝘴] 𝖺𝖽𝗃. 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒈𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊�...
22.2K 455 25
!!kinda slow burn!! 'do you ever feel like you're going crazy?' 'only the most sane people question their sanity' ·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩...