Wish I Were Heather ✓

By hayat_writes

The story revolves around Emily Heartwood, who is hopelessly in love with her classmate, Vincent Zaphyr. Only... More

O n e
T w o
T h r e e
F o u r
F i v e
S i x
S e v e n
E i g h t
N i n e
T e n
E l e v e n
T w e l v e
T h i r t e e n
F o u r t e e n
F i f t e e n
S i x t e e n
S e v e n t e e n
E i g h t e e n
Q n A
N i n e t e e n
T w e n t y
T w e n t y - T w o
T w e n t y - T h r e e
T w e n t y - F o u r
T w e n t y - F i v e
T w e n t y - S i x
T w e n t y - S e v e n
T w e n t y - E i g h t
T w e n t y - N i n e
T h i r t y
T h i r t y - O n e
T h i r t y - T w o
T h i r t y - T h r e e
E P I L O G U E

T w e n t y - O n e

786 34 35
By hayat_writes

~ Vincent ~

I could feel a pair twenty eyes, watching me intently as I entered the classroom, gathering all my confidence.

The kids should be no more than seven years.

They're just kids. Don't be so nervous.

I forced a smile on my face as I remembered Emily's advice just a few minutes ago.

"Good morning, children!" I greeted, raising my voice so that each and every child could hear it clearly.

Most of them returned my greeting with the same enthusiasm, while a few reminded me of my own behavior a few weeks ago.

"I'm Vincent, and I'm here to read out to y'all. So, is everybody excited?"

Most of them shouted yes.

I've always avoided being the center of attraction due to my stage fright, but today, I wouldn't disappoint anyone. Most importantly, myself.

"Does anybody know about Little Hearts?" I held my book high, making it visible to every kid.

Most of them shook there head in denial while a boy raised his hand.

"Uhm, Little hearts, as in the sugar sprinkled heart-shaped delicious biscuits?" He smiled at me mischievously.

Keep your cool, Vincent. He's just messing with you.

"No." I replied through gritted teeth. "It is obviously the name of the book, right in my hand."

"Oops, my bad." He muttered without being the slightest bit of apologetic.

"So, now, are y'all ready to listen to this beautiful story without any further disturbance?" I asked.

On receiving enough agreement, I began with the reading. In my opinion, I was a pretty good reader, and Derek had agreed to it as well.

We had a last-minute reading practice, and Emily suggested that I change my reading tone frequently according to the story to prevent my reading from being monotonous and boring for the kids.

She even advised me to do a little gestures with my spare hand to provide them a visual experience as well.

So far, I believe that I had the undivided attention of the majority of the kids.

Even the boy who disturbed the class at first was listening carefully to my story reading.

I felt proud.

Before I knew, my two hour mentoring session was completed, and so was the book.

I lifted my gaze from my watch to see the satisfied expression of the children.

"So, how do y'all like the story?" I asked while an automatic smile crept on my face.

Some clapped their hands in appreciation, while some expressed it verbally.

"I guess my time to leave this class has come now. So, wait for your next reader like good kids. Alright?" I said and left for the door.

"Heyy wait up!" I stopped in my tracks and turned around to find that boy in front of me.

"Yes?" I kneeled down on one leg to come, face-to-face with him.

"Hi, I'm Joel." He smiled and forwarded his hand.

I engulfed his tiny hand in mine and gently shook it. "Nice to meet you, kiddo."

"I am sorry if I had been rude to you earlier." He said, looking at the floor.

"No, it's not a -" He interrupted me.

"It's just that you remind me of my elder brother." He looked at me now, and his eyes were cheerful.

"Hmm?" I asked to confirm whether I had heard it fine.

"He's just like you, easy to tease. That's why I did it. He's not home anymore. He's staying at his hostel, and I miss him. Never mind, I just hope that you forgave me." He sighed.

"Oh Joe, it's totally fine. It's great that you're ready to accept your mistakes." I calmed him. I tried to.

"Jake used to use to call me that." He hesitantly smiled at me and asked, "Uhm, can I hug you?"

I wasn't expecting that, but I was not going to upset this kid.

"Sure, why n -" Without letting me complete my reply, he threw his arms around my neck, and I stiffened at first, as I was not used to physical affection. Nonetheless, I returned the hug.

"Goodbye Vincent. You read really well. I loved the story." He complimented while pulling away.

"Thank you and,.. goodbye, Joe." I mumbled while ruffling his curly black hair.

"Heyy don't cry!" He exclaimed, keeping his hand on my shoulder.

"I am not!" I buried my face in my palms.

"Yeah, sure, whatever you say, strong man." Joel giggled.

.

*
.

We were supposed to meet at the same school garden after completing our classes.

So, that's exactly where I was heading.

When I exited the school, I noticed that the sky was darker with more clouds.

Unlike most people, I preferred cloudy weather over the sunny one.

Derek had arranged morning sessions for his group so that ours would be done quickly.

On reaching the beautiful garden, I found them. Emily and Skyler were seated on a bench while Derek now had a company in juggling and dribbling football. Zac, of course.

I almost forgot about his existence.

"Heyya buddy! What took you so long?" Derek interrogated on spotting me.

"Was talking to a kid." From my tone, it was clear that no more questions on this subject were welcomed.

"So we're leaving?" Skyler asked with a saddened expression.

I could bet that she was the one who enjoyed this volunteering the most. I would've guessed it to be Emily only if she didn't confess that, she had stage fright like me.

"Nope, bro. We would live here from now on. Why don't you inform your parents about it?" Derek asked her.

"Haha, very funny. You're lucky that I'm tired. Otherwise, you wouldn't dare to smart mouth me." She countered.

They were at it again.

"Hey guys, how about we take a picture of this memorable day?" Zac suggested. "Haven't you heard that? Take a picture. It lasts longer."

"So lemme guess," Derek trailed off. "You've got a camera, then?"

"Mmhm." Zac accepted, excusing himself to grab his camera from the school office.

He returned within a couple of minutes.

"So, who will take the pic?" Skyler asked.

"Me, obviously." Zac stated.

"And, are you fine with it?"

"Of course." Zac replied. "So dear amigos, would you please pose for my lens?"

Derek pulled me towards him and put his arm around my neck, and I followed his suit, while Skyler motioned Emily to take the space beside me.

"Guys, loosen up and put your arms around each other." Zac directed mostly towards me.

I nervously put my arm around Emily's shoulder. She slowly and hesitantly rested her palm on my shoulder blade. Skyler was beside her, repeating the gesture.

"Say cheese."

Suddenly, I felt Derek tickle my side, and I giggled out.

"Done!" Zac smiled proudly.

I turned towards Derek, who shrugged innocently while suppressing a grin.

"Why mad? Your laugh is cute, okay?" He said. "Right, Emily?"

Emily's eyes widened for a moment. "Y-Yeah."

"See Vi. Even Emily agrees." Derek said while I could feel my cheeks growing hot, so I looked in the opposite direction.

I hadn't been this embarrassed in a long, long time.

Zac pulled the picture out and shook it for a good minute. "Come here, Vincent, you get to see it first."

I went closer and took a look at our photo. As expected, I had the widest smile, and almost involuntarily, my lips quirked up at that sight.

'I want to feel better. To feel happier. To genuinely smile like y'all.'

I remembered my very words from the first counseling session.

I have come so far now.

I could now say that I was happy. Genuinely happy.

I was sure that my grandma should be proud of me right now for overcoming my previous downs in life.

"You two look great together."

"Hmm?" I found myself asking.

"I said that, y'all look great together." Zac said while innocently batting his eyelashes at me.

And just like that, I didn't dislike Zac Foster anymore.

Because I heard what he said the very first time itself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172K 2.9K 54
A story about two people reuniting after years without seeing each other. Lia Jones wants to start living her life like a normal teenager along wit...
123 12 5
"Macky, I don't love her the way I love you. If I had to choose one person to be with my entire life, I'd choose my best friend." 💞 ...
7.3M 188K 32
It's not easy being the only girl in the Durant household. It's tough when everybody views you as the baby of the family, despite having a twin broth...
132K 3.8K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...