The Monsters of the Mind

By anonbryantbooks

It just had to be my luck that my car would break down on the side of the road in Sea View. Thankfully, there... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Epilogue (Version 1): Twilight
Epilogue Version 2: Daylight

Part 6

342 11 3
By anonbryantbooks

The taxi pulled into the drive of the Sea View Hotel making both me and my driver a tad bit uneasy. 

After talking with my parents and letting them know what was going on, my dad was a bit discouraged that I would have to stay in the strange hotel again.

"I wish I was there with you, love," his deep voice spoke through, making me smile at his words, "I'd give all those gits there a piece of my mind!"

"Calm down, dad," I sighed, "It really can't be helped at this point. Besides, maybe the issues on my car will be fixed rather quickly."

"I wouldn't know about that. Car repairs may take some time..."

"I'm trying to stay positive, dad."

His hearty laugh echoed through the speaker, "Oh, love! You're always looking on the brighter side of things! This world needs more people like you."

"I'm glad you think so," I tapped my fingers nervously, "Dad? Can I ask you something?"

"Sure love, what's going on?"

I took a deep breath and explained that I was scared, terrified even. I was scared of having to go back to a place that made my skin crawl, but also that I thought going back may help the strange owner - help him bring more revenue into his business.

"It's good that you want to help someone, love," my dad answered after thinking quietly for a moment, "but remember that you have to look out for yourself as well. If you don't feel safe in some place, it's not in your interest to stay there. I do understand your current situation however - but, don't forget that I'm your father and if you need my help getting you out of Sea View, I will spend my whole retirement fund to get you back home.

"And it's not because you're my eldest, either. I love you and your siblings equally and would do the same for them if they were in your situation. You are my daughter, my child, and it's my job to protect you - even though you have grown up and moved on with your life."

I sniffed, rubbing my eyes, "Thanks dad. I promise, if something doesn't feel right again, I'll call you right away and get out of the hotel as soon as I can."

"Alright, if you're sure. I don't want to be getting a call about my daughter dying in a strange city miles away from me."

"I'm sure."

"Then I'll hold you to that promise. Keep in touch with us during your stay there, okay?"

"Okay."

"I love you, Kylie. Don't forget that."

"I love you too, dad. I'll talk with you soon."

"Alright. Be safe."

"I will."

After hanging up the phone, the next call went to the Sea View Hotel. I could feel the eyes of the people around me, judging me as I shakilly dialed the number. It was very nerve-wracking, listening as the phone rang, and looking around at the people who surrounded me from all angles in the lobby of the car repair shop. To me, it was as if they knew I was dialing the number - a forbidden number that no one acknowledged or talked about.

 I took a deep breath, counting the number of rings before I heard a soft click followed by a familiar voice.

"Sea View Hotel, Jimmy Hall speaking."

I couldn't help a smile as I spoke, "Hello again, Mr. Hall."

"Miss Martin? Is that you?"

"Yes, it's me. I seem to be in a bit of trouble."

I explained what Tayte had told me about my car and that it would take a few days - five at most - to get the parts and repair what needed to get fixed. I also told him that I was in need of a hotel room once again as there were no available rooms in town due to a city wide event happening over the week.

"Ah, yes, the art and music festival is a huge money maker for Sea View," Mr. Hall answered, "It's one of the few times of year that all the cities surrounding our area are nearly or completely devoid of people and when our town's population skyrockets. As far as rooms are concerned, I have plenty of spare ones that are available for the next few days - next few weeks, even."

"Thank you so much, Mr. Hall!" I was completely thrilled - though that other part of me felt another boulder drop into the pit of my stomach, "You are a lifesaver!"

"Not a life saver dear, far from it," the proprietor chuckled, "but I am pleased that you are coming back and staying for a while. Would you like the same room you had last night?"

"Room 110? Yes, please."

"Very well, would you also like to be added to the breakfast list during your stay?"

"I suppose so, thank you."

"And are you still interested in the evening entertainment?"

I had to pause on that question. 

Although the comedy act was indeed joyful, there was something off about Mr. Hall when he took on the persona of Hugo Punch. They were complete opposites of each other - like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Jimmy Hall was a sweet and kind host, making sure everything was perfect and presentable as an owner of a hotel should be - but Hugo Punch didn't seem kind at all, but more irritable with an underlying feeling of danger. 

"Miss Martin? Are you still there?"

I shook my head, breaking my thoughts. This was Jimmy Hall, not Hugo Punch, that I was talking to.

"Apologies, Mr. Hall," I answered, "I think I may need some time to think about the evening entertain, if you don't mind."

"You sounded like you really enjoyed it last night..."

"I know, however I just want to think about it. It's been a very much of a roller coaster day for me, and entertainment just isn't on my list of priorities at the moment."

"I understand," though he sounded disappointed, he refused to discuss the matter further. I heard shuffling from the other end of the phone before Mr. Hall spoke again, "Alright, well it seems everything is set in order. We'll just have you pay when the time comes for you to leave as you're unsure if it's going to be five days or more."

"That sounds wonderful, thank you again."

"Absolutely Miss Martin. Can I ask when I'll be expecting you to arrive?"

"I think I'll stop off at one of the stores and pick up a few things then come up, so probably an hour to an hour and thirty minutes?" 

"That should give me plenty of time to clean the room for you then," Mr. Hall answered, "I'll see you up here about... one?"

"One it is. Thank you again."

Now, sitting in the taxi with my overnight bag and my drugstore bag, I hadn't really noticed how dark the building actually was due to the storm. Built from redwood colored bricks, the hotel stood like a mansion on the coast of the sea, overlooking the waves as they crashed ruthlessly into the rocks below. The windows were bordered in an antique cream color while the shingle tiling of the roof was black as ebony. There were few plants, save for the ones that lined the property outside of the gated archway - looking more like long dark fingers and claws rather than plants with the lack of both leaves and bulbs even though it was about mid-spring. I could see the entryway lights on within the building, knowing full well that the only person within those walls would be the proprietor - Jimmy Hall.

"Are you sure you want to go in there?" my driver asked me as I was pulling my wallet out to pay him for his service, "There are other hotels to stay at you know..."

"I've already called them and they're all booked to capacity," I answered, a little firmer than what I had intended, "and I'm not about to hitch a ride to the next town over as I want to be close by for when my car is repaired."

The man only shrugged his shoulders, trying to be indifferent. I paid him the amount due for my ride - £22.28 - and pulled my large suitcase from the backseat and closed the passenger door. When I turned to look up at the hotel, it was deja vu all over again - the heavy rain, the chill that ran through my bones upon meeting the mysterious owner, the strange occurrences that I had seen so far - both in reality and within dreams. I steeled my nerves, holding my head up high as I headed for the three-steps leading up to the main doors of the hotel. As soon as I opened the door, I could hear the taxi pulling away. I wouldn't have been surprised if the poor driver sped all the way back into town and told everyone that I had returned to the Sea View Hotel.

Locals.

The entryway was still the same as it had been last night - old peeling wallpaper, dust covered pictures and lampshades, 1920s themed furniture - it was like I had never left. I retraced my steps to the reception desk and, like the previous night, rang the service bell and waited for Mr. Hall to make his appearance. He was there in a flash, appearing out of thin air like a ghost.

"Welcome back, Miss Martin," he greeted me with his usual charm, pulling the key to my hotel room off the hook rack and handing it to me, "There you are. You remember which floor you were on and the location of the lift, I presume?"

"Yes, and thank you again for everything you've done for me thus far."

I fiddled with my room key. Mr. Hall was turning to head back into his office before I stopped him, "Mr. Hall?"

He stopped and turned to look at me, "Yes, Miss Martin?"

"Are they true then?" I couldn't help but ask, my curiosity peeking.

"Is what true?"

"The rumors? I was told that there was a curse surrounding this place, that anyone who checked in seldomly checked out again."

"No, absolutely not," he smiled softly, "I was always perceived as... strange, different from the other kids. In a town like this, rumors start because of fear or misunderstanding. I'm one of the more popular subjects of gossip due to several events that happened in this hotel that I was present for - and many people believe I was the one who caused them."

"What sort of events?"

"Now that... that's a story for another time, I think," he winked, "However, as I'm sure you're well aware, rumors travel fast in small towns - the power of belief is a strange thing, Miss Martin. Regardless, as very few people come here, I'm not at all surprised for outsiders wanting to stay away."

"But, shouldn't you do something about it?" I was suddenly very concerned. Yes, Mr. Jimmy Hall was a strange man in his own way, but the hotel was suffering deeply because of it. It felt like an injustice for people to cause harm that would affect his business to the point where people stopped coming because of it.

Mr. Hall was silent, as if there was a battle going on within his mind of how to respond to my sudden question. His features hardened and softened as seconds passed, his throat seemingly to tighten as a result.

"Miss Martin," his voice was thick, from emotion or something else - I wasn't sure, "I do appreciate your concern. You're one of the few who has shown me any other emotion other than fear - save for last night, but I'm willing to look over that as I was not in my right state of mind. But, it's been going on for years that I've grown accustomed to it. Do not fret yourself thinking that I will lose anything. As I said last night, it's for the best that I am alone."

The response he had given me was a clear indication he no longer wished to discuss it. He was hurting by the fact - that I had no doubt - but there was something more. There was something within him that made him want people to stay away. It may have had something to do with what the diner manager said or perhaps what I may have overheard last night regarding this person called 'Maya.' Whatever the reason, it gave my mind more ammunition to look deeper into the hotel.

But, I wasn't going to let Mr. Hall know about this - not yet at least.

"I understand, I apologize Mr. Hall."

His features softened again, a smile spreading across his face in relief, "I forgive you, Miss Martin."

"And thank you again," I smiled, "I do appreciate everything you've done for me so far."

"No, thank you Kylie for believing in me."

***

Room 110 was the same I had left it in, the only difference being a new change of bedding - petal pink sheets with a dusty rose colored comforter. The room had been cleaned - the wardrobe wiped down along with the bed posts, the table, and the desk, the carpeting vacuumed, and the bathroom was spotless with a set of fresh towels - the color matching that of the bed.

I set my case down and zipped it open, pulling fresh shirts, jeans, socks, and under clothes out before replacing them into the wardrobe. I reasoned that I would at least make the room feel like my own for the few short days I would be here. My purse followed the three books I had brought, something that I thought I would read during my stay somewhere. I tucked the large bag into the wardrobe, closing it.

I moved around to the bedside, intending to place a few small things - my phone charger, the three books, and other trinkets I had brought - on or within the nightstand. The first drawer opened with surprising ease, allowing me to set two of my books in the drawer as well as my small bag of cheap jewelry I had brought. The second drawer, however, took a bit of time to pull open. I jiggled the drawer, easing it open gently as not to break it. As soon as the drawer was open, I was a bit surprised to see a small pink purse sitting within and covered with dust.

I gently picked it up, turning it over in my hands. The was a simple clasp coin purse with little pink flamingos covering the fabric. It looked like something a child - perhaps a small girl - would carry around and keep their allowance in. The purse itself felt soft, made from a cotton blend material, but felt aged as well. Dust clung to the fabric like it had been left in the drawers for a few years instead of a few days. It was also very light - I slowly pried it open to see if there was something inside, but it was empty - empty as the hotel that I found myself in.

"I wonder..." I closed the drawer slowly and set the purse at the top of my book, saving it for later. I would ask Mr. Hall if he knew anything about it and if there was a way to contact the person to whom it belonged to. However, a part of me believed that it belonged to the little girl that I had seen in the hallway the previous night.

The same little girl who had vanished without a trace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8K 545 17
Imagine the worst scenario bringing your fear to life when your car breaks down in the early hours of the morning on a remote road that you have neve...
4.8K 110 13
🪓Darling. Light of my life. I'm not going to hurt you. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm just going to bash...
95K 5.4K 105
What if the wall you thought will protect you. has fallen what if the people you can trust have turned their back on you. and your closest become ene...
2.9K 78 10
[COMPLETED] [reader insert story] After a nasty breakup between Dean and the reader, she is going through a world of heartbreak. To numb that pain, s...