My Place At The Next Step (Ja...

By KittyKatJacks

Emily and Riley has a sister and her name is Carly. She's an amazing dancer and wants to follow her dreams of... More

1. Get This Party Started
A little quick note
2. Everybody Dance Now
3. Dance, Dance
Just a quick announcement
5. Steal My Sunshine
6. Good Girls Go Bad
7. Love Story
8. Just The Two Of Us
9. Video Killed The Radio Star
10. Road To Joy
11. Can You Keep A Secret
12. Get It Together
13. Don't Go Breaking My Heart
14. Sabotage
15. Changes
16. Help!
17. Forget You
18. Brand New
19. First Date

4. Rock And A Hard Place

1K 19 1
By KittyKatJacks

All the dancers are warming up as Chris and Kate walk into the studio. "Attention dancers! Attention please" Chris said, then all the dancers stop streaching. "Some exciting news. It looks like we are gonig to be competing at a local dance competition this weekend" Kate said, then all the dancers started to cheer.
"We're going to a small competition this weekend. It's almost like rehearsal for regionals" Kate said.
"We get to scope out the competition of, like, the other studios around the area" Tiffany explains.
"It'll give us a chance to go out and get used to being on stage again" Eldon said.
"We're gonig to switch it up a bit, and I'm gonig to change the line positions. You'll perform for Chris and I and then I'll make the decision" Kate told all the dancers.
"I don't know what Kate is trying to pull right now, but there is absolutely no way I'm letting her take this responsibility away from me. I AM the dance captain" Emily said.

Emily, Kate and Chris walk into the office and Emily says "The dance positions are usually made up by the dance captain the dance captain is me, right?" Kate replied with " It's true, Emily, but I just feel like there's a lot of tension in the air, and it's probably best if the positions come from Chris and I." Emily had her hands folded and says "how are the dancers supposed to trust me, of even respect me, if you keep taking away my responsibilities as dance captain?"
"Emily is dance captain and I think it's up to me and Kate to just let her do what she needs to do" Chris said.
"She knows what she's doing, and I know she wants to win" Kate said.
Kate looked at Emily and said "ok, fine. You can set the dance positions." Chris said "remember our main objective." Kate adds on "and do what's best for the team."
Emily looked at Kate and said "Ms Kate, I always do what's best for MY team" then smiled.

The dancers are still stretching as Tiffany walks up to Daniel and says "so, I heard you were choreographing for J troupe. What's up with that?"
"I'm gonig to work with them later on" Daniel told Tiffany.
"Daniel just joined A-troupe and already he wants to choreograph? The E-girls can't let him have that much power" Tiffany says.
"You know I did that before?" Tiffany asked Daniel. Daniel shook his head and said "no." Tiffany nodded and said "yeah, you know what they're like? They're crazy." Daniel whispers "no." Tiffany smiles saying "but you'll be fine. You'll be fine. You'll be fine."
"Well, no, what do you mean?" Daniel asked her.
"E-girl rulenumber 46: never let anyone else in A-troupe look too good" Tiffany said.
"You're tense now. I can sense it" Tiffany said. Daniel looked at her and quickly said "Well, you've got me all nervous!" Tiffany crossed her arms and said "yeah. They'll sense that. They'll sniff it out. Have fun. Ok. Have fun. Don't be like this. Like a robot, like..." then did a robot impression. "Ok" Daniel said. "Ok" Tiffany replied.
"I'm a little shaken up. If they rattled her up  they're gonig to tear me apart" Daniel said.
Emily and Stephanie came back with a clipboard. "All right, everybody! Are you ready?" Emily said to all the dancers. "The order is Chloe, Tiffany, Daniel, Eldon, James, Stephanie, Riley, Michelle, West and then Carly" Emily added.
"Right now, I'm holding auditions for the dance placements" Emily said.
Chloe was up first to dance. "She just has to earn her place, though. You know? She's new" Emily said to Stephanie.
"Dance placement is an indicator for the hierarchy in the dance studio" Emily told the camera.
Tiffany went up next. "The only thing I wish is shed put more technical things in her routine"
West is up next. (I just relized she said West last and he's 3rd but I'm just gonig with it) West did flips and tricks and he did one of his tricks. Emily said "oh! That was sick. That was really cool" with a small clap.
"If you were places in the front row, it basically means that you're one of the strongest dancers" Riley said.
James is up next to dance. He does tricks and flips to show Emily what he's got.
"And if you're in the back, it's kind of like a diss" Chloe said.
Stephanie danced next.
"I'm pretty confident that I'm gonig to be in the front row. Not only am I Emily's best friend, I'm also one of the best dancers in the troupe" Stephanie said.
Eldon danced next. Emily smiled at how good he is but when he gave her a look at the end, she said "but let's, er.... let's take some points off of that really creepy look."
Riley went up next and she did really good. Carly and Emily looked at her and when she did a good move they said "nice." Riley started to mess up and all what Carly wanted to do was help her out but she couldn't.
"I am dancing terribly. I'm forgetting everything. I've never danced this bad before in my life" Riley said.
"Riley usually get nervous. She's very shy. But she's an amazing dancer and I know she'll be ok" Steph said.
Riley messes up again and Emily cheered her on "good how! Whoo! Go, Riley!"
"Back row, here I come" Riley said.
"All right. Michelle, let's go" Emily said in a bored tone. Michelle danced and turned. "She's not footing that turn" Emily said. Michelle kept dancing and Carly was impressed. "That jump could've been higher" Emily told Steph. "It was really high" Stephanie replied. "Could been higher" she said again.
"I'm pulling out some of my best tricks, and I really hope that Emily and Stephanie are impressed" Michelle said.
Michelle did another flip and Emily said "oh, another flip." Michelle finished. (Sorry I had to type this, couldn't find the video)
"Carly, your up" Emily said. Carly went to start the dance.

(Man, she's good)
"All right. Can we gather around?" Emily said. All the dancers gather around.
"Michelle is unreal. She is so good" Carly said.
"I think she's gonig to be in the front row, if not front and centre" Daniel said.
"Everyone, attention! I'm gonig to go run this by kate and Chris, get their opinion on it and see if they think it's fair" Emily said as her and Steph walk away.
"You know, I'm not really sure where I'm gonig to be placed in the dance. I know that I'm new here and that I have to earn my spot" Michelle said.
Emily and Steph walked into the office and Emily said "excuse me."
"Hey" Chris said. "Hey, how are you?" Kate asked them.
"I want the dancers to think that we're getting Kate and Chris' input for dance placements. But we're not" Emily said.
"Actually, what I came to talk to you about is there's a light... somewhere out there that's just done. It's completely gone out" Emily said while pointing on the studio. "Ok. Do you know which one it is?" Kate asked.
All the other dancers are talking about them pointing.
"I'm happy that Emily is gonig to Kate and Chris about the line placements, cos I know that it will be a fair decision and an unbiased decision" Michelle said.
"Got that Chris?" Late asked back in the office. "Yeah, safety is important" he replied. "Yeah, safety is 110% important" Emily agreed with him.
"I'm glad they came to me about the light bulb, although I've never seen then so concerned about the condition of the studio" kate said.
Emily and Steph come back into the studio and Emily says "all right everybody. Attention! I have in my hands out line positions. Back it up, and I'll tell you what they are. Stephanie, you're here."
"Me being in the front is no suprise, really, to me. I mean, I work hard and I'm a great dancer and I'm Emily's best friend" Steph said.
"Eldon" Emily says and grabs Eldon'shand and pulling him to his spot. "Chloe, back row beside Tiffany" she then added.
"I'm shocked. I thought I did a little better than the back row" Chloe says.
"I will be here. Carly, your next to me and Riley, you're in the front next to Carly" Emily said.
"Me in the front row? I get Carly but me.... no. Something's gonig on, because there's no way that that dance that I just did is front row material" Riley said.
"I put Carly in the front because she's my sister and shes a good dancer. And well Riley, she's in the front row because she's my sister. I'm gonig to give her a chance and honestly she deserves it. I know she's a good dancer and I know she'll work hard" Emily said.
"Michelle, you can stay where you are. Back row" Emily told Michelle.
"The fact that Michelle is in the back row really surprises me" James says.
"I know that I'm new here and that I have to earn my spot, so I guess it's ok that I'm in the back" Michelle says.
"All right, everybody. I'm going to need you to back it up, and all om looking for now is cleanliness in the arms. Just be sharp and be there, ok?" Emily says.
"I don't know what my sister is up to. I guess she's maybe a little jealous of Michelle. All I know is that me and Michelle should definitely be switched" Riley says.
All the dancers are practicing the dance Emily choreographed and Carly notices that Riley is messing up a bit.
"Being in the front row is throwing me off. I've never been in the front row before. I don't see anyone in front of me to, like, follow along with, so I'm trying to follow my sister Carly, who is beside me" Riley says.
Carly is trying to guide Riley along but it ain't helping. Emily also notices Riley ain't donig well being in the front row so when they move to the side Emily grabs Riley.
"I think Riley's really overwhelmed with being in the front row. It is her first time and I know that feeling, and I just want my sister to be ok" Emily said.
"What's gonig on? What gonig on?" Emily asks Riley. Riley tries to say what wrong but then Emily adds in "you're nervous to be in the front row? Oh I get it, I get it. When it was my turn up there, I was so nervous, Ry. Like, don't worry, ok? You'll get there."
"Well I, just..." Riley starts to say. "You want a break? Ok! No, no. No, we can give you a break" Emily inturups. "But..." Riley tries to explain again. "Riley, you're my sister. All right, let's take a break, everyone!" Emily says.
"Emily calling a break for me just shows that she's delusional. She doesn't see that I'm not getting the choreograph because I shouldn't be in the front row, Michelle should" Riley said.
"I think the break will allow Riley to calm down, collect herself, and then she'll be perfect" Emily says.
As all the other dancers leave, Riely starts to practice the dance. Carly turns back and walks to her sister and says "let me help." Riley looks up and see it's Carly then nods. They work on the dance together.

"Hi, boys and girls. I'm Daniel" he said to the J-troupe.
"After talking to Tiffany, I'm really, really nervous about working with the J-troupe" Daniel says.
"I'm thinking that today..." he start off but then a J-trouper interups him and says "you know we speak English, right?" Daniel looks at them and says "yeah, sorry. Erm..."
"I told the J-troupers if they give Daniel a hard time, they get to dance for A-troupe" Tiffany says.
Daniel is showing the choreography to the J-troupers and they are just not listening.

Back in studio A Carly is still helping Riley. James is in the corner working on his math. Carly turns to Riley and say "keep working on it, I'll get us some juices." Riley nodds. As Carly walks past James to go to the door he shouts "yo, Carly, Carly. Can you tell me what tangent is again?" She walks over to him and replies with "sine of a cosine." James looks at her and asks "sine of a cosine?" She looks in the book he is holding and says "yeah." As she looks at the book for a bit, James closes the book and says "hey, I got you something." Carly looks shocked and slowly says "Okay."
"It's from the top of a mountain" James tells her. "The top of a mountain?" Carly asks James. James nodds and said "like, the top of a mountain. Like, rocky mountains." Then walked over to his bag, he pulls out a water bottle. Carly looks confused and asked "oh, water bottle?" James looks so happy and said "yeah." Carly laughs a little and opens the bottle as James explains "it's natural spring mountain water."
"Mmm, got it" Carly said then drinks the water. Riely walks over to them and looks at Carly.
"Carly is probably the only person at the studio who's gonna tell me her honest opinion, and the brutal truth, which is what I need right now" Riely said.
"Can I ask you something?" Riely said to Carly. Carly nods and says "yeah, go ahead." Riely hesitates for a moment then finally said "do you think I should be in the front row?" Carly sighs and looks a James who nodds at her to tell the truth. Carly pulls Riley done on the seats beside them and asks "ok, honestly?" Riely nodds and said "honestly."
"I kind of appreciate the fact that Riley asked for my opinion. She's my sister but why asks me?" Carly said.
"Seriously, I think... Michelle should be in the front row. I'm not saying this to hurt you Ry" Carly explains to Riley.
"A lot of you will probably think that was cruel thing to do. Buy it was the truth and as much as it pains me to do that to my sister. It had to be said" Carly said.
"No. I.. thank you for being honest. I just needed to hear it" Riely said.
"Ok" Carly said quietly. Riely got up and walked away. Then Carly put her head in her hands and sighs. James sits down next to her and pulls he in for a hug.
"I can tell it hurt Carly to say it just as much as it hurt Riely to hear it" James said.
"It kind of hurts a little bit. I thought, you know, maybe she tought, I should be in the front row. But it's the truth and that's what I wanted to hear and it's what I needed to hear" Riely says.

Back in studio B the J-troupers are still not listening to Daniel. Tiffany then walks in and shouts "all right, J-troupe, get up! Rehearsal starts now, get up! Get up!" All the J-troupers get up.
"Im coming into studio B because I can tell Daniel's had enough. There's no way he's gonig to want to choreograph our J-troupe again" Tiffany says.
"Ever since Tiffany walked on, the J-troupers are really motivated, and I think this routine is gonig to be really good" Daniel said.
"I made Daniel'slife miserable and now he loves me. I'm such an E-girl" Tiffany said.

Riley walks in the office where Kate is at and said "Kate?" Kate looks up from her work and says "hey, Riley, what's up?" Riley then walks into the office and said "hi. Um, erm... I just wanted to get your thoughts on something." Kate nodds and says "sure."
"Emily got Kate's approval on the line order, so I just wanted to figure out why she put me in the front row" Riley said.
"I didn't. I didn't approve the line-up" Kate explains to her.
"I don't know why Riley thought I approved the line-up. Emily never spoke to me about any of this" Kate said.
Riley looked confused and said "I thought she came in and talked to you about it." Kate replied with "she made that decision on her own."

As the E-girls are talking Riley comes up to them and asks Emily to have a sister talk. They walked to the side and Riley said "I talked to Kate. She told me she had no input in the line order. And you didn't confront her about it?" Emily looked at Riley and said "Well, no. I thought it was a good order." Riley looked at Emily and said "I just think me and Michelle should be switched."
"Well, I disagree. I think she needs to earn her place, just like everyone else did" Emily told Riley. "Ok. She deserves to be in the front row" Riley explained to Emily. "Riley" Emily semi-shouted. "I just want what's best for the team" Riley told Emily. "Riley!" Emily said firmly.
"Here I am donig her a favour and she wants to rebuff it? Well, I guess that's the last time I do anythi g for her" Emily said.
"Im sticking up for you. Maybe have a little faith in me, ok?" Emily firmly said to Riley. Emily then walks away.
"I think I know what I have to do, I just don't know if I can pull it off" Riley said.
As all the dancers are stretching, James walks up to Carly and say "yo."
Carly looks at him and says "hey."
"How's it gonig?" James asks her. "Not so good. I mean, I just told my own sister that she doesn't deserve to be in the front row" Carly explainsto him. Riely walked up to Carly "umm, Carly, Emily made the lines up by herself. Kate had nothing to do with it."
"It's nice Riley still comes to tell me things even though I said she doesn't deserve to be in the front row. It just means she doesn't hate me" Carly said.
"I'm not surprised. I know that Kate would have never approved that dance line-up" James said.
"I don't know. I kind of have an idea" Riely told her sister. "Do it" Carly said.
"It's kind of dangerous what I'm thinking about donig, so I don't know how it's gonig to work out" Riley said.
"I have no idea what Riley has in mind, but I think she should do it. I think she should follow her heart" Carly said.
Emily walks in and says "all right, everyone, let's take our positions. You should be warm by now." All the dancers take their positions and when Michelle goes to her spot, Riely pulls Michelle to the front row. Carly looked shocked and Emily looked pissed.
"In this moment, I am standing up to my sister and donig what right" Riley said.
"Clearly she's trying to embarrass me in front of the whole troupe" Emily says.
Emily walks up to Riely and asked "What are you donig?" Riely then looked down and back up to Emily and said "What's right." Riley then added "Kate had nothing to do with these line placements. Emily did this all on her own. And I clearly do not deserve to be in the front row, Michelle does."
"How dare Riley call me out in front of everybody! Not only is she an E-girl, but she's MY sister" Emily said.
"I am really not pleased in being caught in the middle of Riley and Emily. That's not my position to take" Michelle says.
"Do you all agree with me?" Riley asked all the team. Steph is shaking her head no. "Yeah" Carly says. Emily looked even more pissed off. "Yeah" James added in when he saw the look Emily gave Carly. Carly looked at him and gave him a smile which he gladly returned.
"When Riley stands up to Emily, it's surprising, because no-one's ever stood up to Emily like that apart from me but I have quite the attitude and I don't do it in front of the whole troupe. And i had to join Riley becasue i know she's nervous of what Emily would do" Carly says.
"Yeah" Daniel says next. "Yeah" West said.
"I really applaud her, cos that was the right thing to do, you know, for the team" West said.
"Sorry, sis, you're outvoted" Riley told Emily. Emily put a fake smile on and said "ok, that's fine."
"I know in a few days she'll turn her focus to something else, and she'll see my side of things eventually" Riley said.
"So I'm in the front?" Michelle asked Emily. "Yes" Emily said with a bitter tone. Kate walks out of her office and says "ok, dancers, we have a lot of work to do on this dance still, ok? We need to pick up the energy big time. Good job of moving Michelle to the front. You did the right thing."
"'Good job, on the line placement. Michelle is in the front row with you. Thank you'" Emily mimicked.
"Thanks" Emily said. "Ok, here we go!" Kate shouted. "One, two, three, four, five, six" Emily shouted. The dancer are all rehearsing.
"When you're a leader, you have to lose little battles to win the big war. So they better be prepared for when I win that was, because I'm gonig to remember what they did to me" Emily says.
"Let's go again" Emily told them all. Then gave Riley a mean look. Carly caught Riley's eye and mouthed 'I love you, little sis, you did good', Riley smiled and mouthed 'thank you, I love you too.'

"One, two, three, J-troupe!" Daniel and the J-troupers shouted. "Ok, so, I choreographed this routine for the J-troupe. They have a huge competition this weekend. Shout out to Tiffany for helping me out. Here they are. Good luck, guys!"
The J-troupe do the dance as the A-troupe watch them.
"The J-troupe have potential" Carly said.
Once the J-troupe finished, all the A-troupers clapped and walked over to the J-troupers.
The E-girls are talking as Riley walked up to them. Carly saw once Riley shot to them that they all quited down. 
"I'm getting a little nervous, because I can see the E-girl look in their eyes, and with that look nothing ever ends well" Riely said.
"What's gonig on?" Riley asked them. "Look. It seems like your interest lie outside of E-girls lately. It's not up for discussion. Who wants Riley out of E-girls?" Emily pits her hand up and the rest join her. Carly walks up to them. "Seriously, Em, why you kicking Riley out? I told her to do that" Carly told her.
"She's one of my sister's, my family and she just kicked me out" Riely said.
"Come here" Carly said while pulling Riley in for a hug.
"She violated one of our main rules. We have to have each other's backs" Tiffany says.
As Carly and Riley are hugging, Emily watches for a far.
"I did what was right and I got punished for it. Me and Emily are never gonig go be the same" Riley says.
Riley and Carly walk out of the studio together as Emily looks a little sad.

_______________________________________
I'm back after what feels like a long time. Hope you are enjoyingthe book. Tell me your thoughts on things. I don't feel like it was right that Emily kicked Riley out of E-girls.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.2K 2.1K 59
'Why does everything keep reminding me of the past? I don't want a repeat and I certainly don't want to be reminded. It hurts too much. One more thin...
77.6K 2.2K 92
i felt it in my chest as she looked at me, i knew we were bound to be together. East North goes through the ups and downs of what it really means to...
78.2K 1.4K 53
Noelle is the older sister of Richelle and has been dancing with The Next Step since she was three. They always say don't mix relationships with busi...
44.2K 702 95
The next Step fanfic James x oc what happens when the boy catches feelings for his best friend? and how will they overcome struggles? i don't own...