Inheritance

By CathalAshenhand

Iruka takes Mizuki's shuriken to the back in place of Naruto. Thinking Iruka to be dead, Naruto loses control... More

Book One
Traitor!
A Heritage Revealed
An S-Ranked Mission!
Meeting with the Hokage
The Secret of Kage Bunshin
The Beginnings of Training
Hey Look, No Seals!
Jiraiya
Abduction
The Result of Training
The Failed D-Rank
The Power of Combination
Naruto's Mask
A C-Rank Mission - The Wounded Shinobi
A C-Rank Mission - Enemies Revealed
A C-Rank Mission - Conclusion
Gaara
Naruto's Drive
Kuchiyose no Jutsu
The Toads of Mt. Myōboku
New Enemies, New Missions
The Art of Infiltration
That's the Easy Part...
And Now For the Hard Part
The Chunin Exams I
The Chunin Exams II
The Chunin Exams III
Death In the Forest
Round Two - Concluded
Fragmenting
Crucible
Danzou
Heads
The Torch Passes
Shatter
Hokage
Book Two
Rooted
The Crow's Eye
Leaves in the Wind, Part One
Growth
The Winds Shift

Sansetsukon

9.1K 231 37
By CathalAshenhand

Naruto ducked under an infuriatingly casual horizontal slash, aimed at his neck. Yuugao-sensei was incredible with her katana. Every time he went to attack, she batted him aside like he was absolutely nothing. He hadn't gotten her to move from the place she started at, in the entire fifteen minutes they had been sparring for.

Wordlessly, he created a Bunshin behind Yuugao, which stabbed at her thighs with it's katana that has also been cloned. Without even looking, Yuugao simply stepped over the attack, and slammed her foot downwards with force upon the flat edge of the blade, snapping it into two. Then, with the same motion, she rotated her hips and drove her other foot into the cheekbone of the Bunshin, breaking the bone just before it dispelled. The original Naruto, at the lowest point of his duck used the momentum of his straightening body to perform an upwards vertical slash, which Yuugao sidestepped, with a hint of what could easily be mistaken for arrogance.

The blonde summoned another Bunshin on Yuugao's left side, which performed a diagonal slash across the Jonin. Yuugao turned her body slightly to face the clone; and with her blades crossed as they were in her initial stance, both blocked the attack, while at the same time moving inside the Bunshin's guard, Naruto's blade sliding forward between Yuugao's and being diverted over her shoulder. Using the momentum from her step she drove her elbow into the Bunshin's face, instantly dispelling it.

The Jonin instantly went on the attack after destroying the Bunshin, not giving the blonde any time to orchestrate his next move. Using the katana in her right she stepped towards her student and delivered a vicious strike at Naruto's midriff. Once again, the blonde parried the blow; and once again, he was forced into using both of his hands, despite the fact that Yuugao had seemed to put very little effort into the attack. However, he was not to be given much time to think about his sensei's technique, as Yuugao had already launched her next attack, a fast strike aimed straight at his left kidney. He managed to parry his sensei's attack once more, this time having to use only one hand in order to grant himself the extra flexibility needed to block fast enough. This had it's own consequences however, and his entire arm was jarred by the force of the attack.

Yuugao took full advantage of this, and aimed a kick at her student's hand, disarming him and sending his katana flying across the training ground, the clatter as it hit the floor echoing around the room.

"Naruto, we are trying to find a weapon that suits you, remember? You need to move onto the next weapon as soon as you know the one you're using isn't working, okay? Now go pick another.

The blonde bit back the protests that had immediately begun to form on the tip of his tongue. After all, he knew his sensei was right. He had been able to feel within the first couple of minutes of sparring that the katana wouldn't work for him. It forced him to alter the rhythm of his movements far too much, and as a result, prevented him from being able to string together his attacks fluidly; as well as disrupting his ability to defend and immediately try to launch a counter to keep his opponent on the back foot.

Naruto took a deep breath and looked towards the table upon which Yuugao had laid out weapons for him to try, and begun to decide which weapon he would try next.

"Hokage-sama, we have received an update from Team Kamiko."

Sarutobi turned his attention from the dwindling piles of paperwork on his desk, to his secretary, who had just entered the room.

"Ah, Team Kamiko. They were part of an escort mission to Kumo, were they not?" Sarutobi asked, his curiosity piqued. They were Chunin on a relatively simple mission, and had already sent a report detailing that they had been successful, and were returning to Konoha.

"Yes, Hokage-sama. However, they have come across an injured Sunagakure ninja, on the border to Hi no Kuni. As we are allied to Suna, the have applied emergency field treatment to the ninja. However, they believe that his injuries are too serious for him to be able to make it back to Kaze no Kuni without an escort and additional medical treatment. The Suna ninja has stated that Sunagakure is currently unable to provide their own support due to a particularly high mission load. They cannot commit further shinobi without compromising Suna's defences, and have therefore officially requested a C-rank escort mission for their shinobi"

Sarutobi had to pause in order to think. Team Kamiko was comprised of four Chunin, and as such, were too much of Konoha's manpower to commit to such a relatively minor mission. This in turn, meant that he would need to assign a genin team, for this mission. Team 8 had just been assigned their first C-rank, so they were definitely out of the question. As for Team 7, both Kakashi and himself had serious doubts as to whether they were ready for a C-rank mission; and Kakashi had requested some time to remedy this, before the council inevitably attempted to throw the Uchiha in at the metaphorical deep-end.

Which of course, left only Naruto and Team 10. However, Asuma had just been sent off on an emergency mission, leaving Team 10 with no sensei. Jiraiya was also due out of the village, in order to investigate a tip-off about the 'Chikyū no Terāzu' joining up with the mysterious organization 'Akutsuki'; a group to shrouded in secrecy that even Jiraiya hadn't been able to find out much about them, which would scream 'danger' to anyone, let alone some one as experienced as Sarutobi. The revelation that his traitorous old student, Orochimaru had once been amongst their ranks, made Jiraiya's investigation vital to village security.

However, for the situation in hand at least, Sarutobi did know of a solution.

The elderly Kage reached for a loose bit of paper, and scribbled something down, before handing it to his secretary.

"Get me these shinobi. And send a message to Team Kamiko that a relief squad is being sent to take over."

He just hoped he wasn't sending the Genin he had in mind out too soon. He always felt slightly ill at ease whenever he sent his shinobi out on missions, but it was even worse when he sen out fresh Genin. There was always the chance one or more wouldn't come back. A child that would never return to their loved ones. And, despite the strong faith he held in all of his shinobi, he knew he risk as always there. However, it was his duty as Hokage, irrespective of his feelings. The Genin were the only ones for the job, without compromising the strength of the village; and, on top of that, he had total faith in the Jonin that would accompany them.

Naruto leapt back from Yuugao, avoiding a slash aimed at his torso. He groaned in frustration and threw the tonfa he had been using to the floor, which was now littered with discarded weapons. Panting heavily, he glanced back to the table. The blowgun that had caught his eye before he began remained, along with another staff. He had already used a quarterstaff that had been crafted with a coating of steel, enabling it to be used in combat against bladed weapons, but it had been too slow and cumbersome - not exactly suited to his style of fighting. However this staff was leaner, although about the same length. Interestingly, it had two obvious joints that effectively split the staff into three; although, as far as Naruto could see they served little to no purpose. Which piqued his curiosity enough to pick it up. Well it was that, and the fact that his only other choice was blowgun.

As he lifted the weapon from the table he was shocked at how light it was, yet still felt sturdy, as if it was made out of steel. He instinctively began to twirl it in his hands, and wandered at how agile it felt in comparison to the quarterstaff. He moved to strike the air, to get a feel for the way in which the weapon should be used, and flowed naturally into a series of short, sharp jabs with either end of the staff. Yet another way in which the weapon differed from the conventional. A staff usually looked to perform powerful, but slow blows with the side of he staff, rather than its tips.

"It is a very unique weapon." Yuugao began, clawing Naruto's attention away from his own thoughts. "It is made from an fairly rare wood that originates, believe it or not, from Kaze no Kuni. The tree that was used to create this weapon is unique, in that it's wood can conduct, and channel chakra; and is most commonly used to create chakra paper, which as you know from your studies is used to discern ones elemental affinity. However, in the case of this weapon, it means that you can channel chakra through it. As well as this, the person who made this particular weapon, enhanced the wood with chakra as he was crafting it, making it incredibly difficult to break or destroy, nullifying any perceived vulnerability it had."

Only a few weeks ago, Yuugao's words would have gone straight over the Genin's head. It was a testament to how far he had come along that he understood everything his sensei had told him. He hadn't stopped at academy knowledge either. At the advice of Hatake Kakashi, a decidedly odd Jonin who had stopped to give Naruto advice, and had even let him use one of his jutsu scrolls to learn a new technique; he had continued reading about the world of shinobi, and continued to learn, too. He had branched out in his reading material too, strategy, basic field usable first aid, genjutsu, use of weapons, and chakra theory of a more advanced level than what was taught in the academy. He had even kept up with geography and history, at Iruka's advice. And he had to admit, he simply didn't understand how an earth he had come to the conclusion that all that 'boring book stuff' would never be useful for a ninja.

Of course, there was still even more that he could have been working on. He hadn't gone back to see Iruka to continue working on his chakra control, and focus in his training sessions with Jiraiya had been primarily focused on ninjutsu so far, leaving him with little time to push his taijutsu any further. On top of that, he still hadn't even thought about doing anything practical with genjutsu, either casting or dispelling. He had looked briefly in the library for some basic genjutsu, but most recommended that a chakra control exercise called 'tree-walking' should ideally be learnt prior to beginning with them; and Naruto didn't want to risk trying techniques that he had such little knowledge about, before he was absolutely sure he was ready.

Naruto abandoned his train of thought, and turned towards his sensei. It was all very well reflecting on his progress and singling out areas for improvement, but he had more immediate things to worry about.

"Are you ready to try again Yuugao-sensei?" Naruto asked. Although, you wouldn't think Yuugao had even sparred with him at all, just by looking at her. She wasn't breathing even slightly heavily, and looked totally relaxed; whereas Naruto was beginning to look more and more dishevelled as the training wore on.

Seeing his sensei nod, and adopt the same defensive stance she had begun their training session with; Naruto shifted his grip on his weapon and charged, knowing his sensei would allow him to attack, in order to get a feel for the weapon.

'I've just realised...Yuugao-sensei didn't even tell me what the weapon was called'

He wasn't even sure it mattered, as he got into range of his sensei and immediately leveled a jab aimed straight at her head. Watching his sensei casually sidestep his initial strike he instantly created a Bunshin directed behind her, which attempted to strike her in the back. In response she shifted her footing and turned the 180 degrees, and decapitated the Bunshin with ease. She had intentionally left her back exposed, and Naruto understood the implications immediately. It was both intended to goad him, as she had already taught him that you should never expose your back to an enemy that you feel could ever strike you; and to leave an opening, inviting him to take advantage. A trap, essentially. And the blonde feigned to fall for it, crouching down and attacking the leg that she had the majority of her weight on, in order to upset her balance. Of course, Yuugao expected such an attack, and immediately lifted her leg and pivoted in order to strike at the now exposed Naruto.

What she didn't expect however, was for a Bunshin to use the crouched blonde's back for leverage in order to launch a vicious diving lunge at her face. Her instincts, honed through years of training and experience kicked in, and she threw herself backwards, planting her hands on the ground over her swords and kicked out with both legs, making contact with the clone as it flew over her, dispelling it with an audible crunch. She continued her backwards flipping motion, landing perfectly in a crouched position, both katana's already in her hands. However, no sooner had she returned her attention to the blonde, he was on top of her, himself and his bunshins launching in to a series of attacks, each flowing into each other perfectly. The difference in his movement with his current weapon, from when he was using the others, was phenomenal. And for the first time during their session, she was on the back foot.

Naturally, she wasn't taking the fight all that seriously, Naruto was still only a genin after all. All the same, the blonde, despite having no training with the weapon what so ever, was performing exceptionally well. It was clear that this weapon suited him to a tee. Now all she needed to do, was show him that the object in his hands was not merely a staff, although it's clever design meant that it could be used as one. 'Unfortunately', she thought, sensing the presence that had just entered the training grounds, 'I will not to be given the time in order to do so. Not just yet, anyway.'

Naruto too, had noticed the extra presence, and stopped his attacks, turning his attention to the new figure in the room. Yuugao also turned to meet the man, although she already knew who it was.

"Uzumaki Naruto is to report to the Hokage within the next thirty minutes for a mission. He is to come prepared for an escort mission lasting at least a week, possibly more, and should be ready to leave immediately after briefing."

Naruto glanced to his sensei, who nodded to him, without taking her attention away from the ANBU who had come to deliver the message.

"You should get going Naruto. You know what you need to bring from your studies, though I would recommend that you bring extra ninja wire and other trap making gear, just in case you're client is definitely being targeted. Also, I want you to take the weapon with you; it might come in useful, especially since you'll only be going out on a C-rank mission. You might even be going with a Jonin who knows how to use one, and might be able to show you a thing or two, if you've got time."

"Right." Naruto replied, trying to process the information he had just been given, before moving to leave the room.

"Oh, and Naruto; it's called a Sansetsukon."

Naruto stopped dead, once again trying to process the new information.

"But a Sansetsukon is a three-"

"Get moving. Figure it out later." Yuugao interjected, causing Naruto to stir into action once more. Nodding in the affirmative , Naruto set off, actually managing to leave the training ground this time.

"I take it the Hokage wants me present for the briefing? Should I be in ANBU attire, or not?"

"It's entirely up to you, Uzuki-san. Although, Hokage-sama would like you to say out of sight throughout, unless you need to interject."

"Thank you, ANBU-san." Yuugao replied.

The masked figure didn't bother to indicate he had heard her, before disappearing in a puff of smoke.

"That guy is always so rude when he puts on that mask. No sense of humour, either." Yuugao muttered to herself, before leaving the training ground herself and heading towards the Hokage tower.

She had to make it there early, after all.

"So all of you understand the mission objectives?"

"Yes, Hokage-sama. We are to rendezvous with Team Kamiko, give them their new orders, and then, administer further first aid to the injured Suna-nin and escort him back to Sunagakure once he can be transported safely. We leave immediately." Replied a certain Hatake Kakashi, his usual lazy drawl replaced with a serious tone, reserved only for receiving orders.

Sarutobi gazed at the shinobi he had selected for the mission. Uzumaki Naruto was a given, especially after his rapid progression since his 'graduation'. Sarutobi could see the excitement burning behind his eyes, despite his attempts to remain serious and calm during the briefing. Him even attempting to remain serious told Sarutobi all he needed to know about how far the boy had come. Alongside him stood Nara Shikamaru, the only person Asuma had deemed ready to undertake a C-rank mission. Once again, this genin's exterior appearance disguised the mind within. He appeared almost bored, and reluctant to be here. Yet, after years of working with his father, and even his grandfather before that, the Hokage could practically see the gears turning in his head. Possible formations, routes, likely opposition, his teams capabilities; you name it, the child was working it through in his head, planning everything he could and covering almost every conceivable eventuality.

Thirdly, there was Inuzuka Hana; a 15 year old Genin who had been training to be a medic-nin, alongside her clans training as a vet. She excelled at both, and was one of the most capable healers at the Konoha hospital, despite her relatively tender age. She had been deemed as all that was necessary in order to treat the Suna-nin's injuries to the extent where he would be able to move. She could also hold her own in combat, if needs be; although she was far more capable alongside the three of her ninken. They were being left behind, still recovering from injuries from a previous mission.

"Good," Sarutobi started. "If there are any problems, report to me as soon as possible."

"I take it Konoha will be keeping a close watch on this mission?" Kakashi spoke cryptically, earning curious looks from all three Genin present. They weren't aware of the other presence, hidden in the shadows of the room, where the ANBU usually concealed themselves.

"Naturally. Although, we'll stay out of your way. You're in complete command, Kakashi." Sarutobi took a quick breath before continuing. "I advise you begin now. Try to get as much distance between Konoha and yourselves as you can before nightfall. You are dismissed."

"Understood, Hokage-sama." Kakashi nodded towards the Hokage before turning towards his three new team-members; with his eye curved into something that could only be assumed was a smile.

"Well then, lets get moving!"

"Those bastard Konoha ninjas! They will have definitely called for back-up by now." Spoke a figure hidden by the shadows, looking down into canyon below, where a Suna ninja was propped up next to a rock, conversing with a group of four Konoha ninjas around him.

"Relax. They will have sent for medical relief and an escort by now, then they will return to their village. The escort will be comprised mostly of Genin, and therefore vulnerable. Konoha can't afford to commit more than that to escort a foreign ninja. Another voice spoke in response, "So we'll wait for the relief, and these shinobi to leave. And then-"

"And then we'll kill them!" The first voice interrupted, the excitement evident in his voice.

"Of course. We'll kill every last one of them, and then take what we came for."

***

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Any comments and feedback are massively appreciated - one of my favourite parts of serial fiction is interacting with readers as they experience the stories I'm telling!

I have set up a discord for anybody who would like to chat about any of my work with me, or even just shitpost with us!

Here: https://discord.gg/fbcZPpBAzk

Please remember to follow/vote of you're enjoying Inheritance--it really helps and I am always incredibly grateful!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

578K 15.2K 46
They lost. He lost them. He would never lose them again. . . After Madara killed him, Naruto finds himself back in the body of his younger self, rig...
539K 11.7K 38
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.9K 290 11
The bomb was dropped in the early hours of morning causing the younger's day to spiral into the deepest pit of disappointment but worry not, his boyf...
3.4K 272 11
Hi friends πŸ‘‹ πŸ™‚ This is a story about you and your wife, Ms. Venable, living in the outpost. One day you hear about a plan that everyone has, even t...