The Warrior's Gambit (Zutara)

By FrostedGemstones

Months ago, Katara arrived at the Royal Palace to save her tribe and to win the heart of the famed Prince Zuk... More

i
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXVIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XXXX
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV

XXXIII

3.8K 178 321
By FrostedGemstones

For purposes of this story, though an Agni Kai is a fire-bending duel, it's also described as a fight of honor. So, I'm taking it to be that to mean that while it's usually only used in Firebending tradition, technically anyone calling up a matter of honor can invoke an Agni Kai. Sokka doesn't have to firebend to be included in this!

--

As Katara walked in a haze toward the tournament arena, she kept repeating a mantra of the three things Zuko had told her she had to abide by. This repetition was the only thing keeping her up, even though her legs bowed with each step like thin sticks in the hands of a child trying to snap them, even though her vision fuzzed around the edges, and even though she felt like her heart was wilting with each step closer.

Number one; do not make a scene.

Number two; do not look away.

Number three; and the most important she must remember...he was trying to save Sokka's life.

When he'd said that one, with such carefulness – as though Katara would shatter inside – she had frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"An Agni Kai is no small event, Katara. I would not expect my father will be pleased with...without some sort of big 'thing', though I can't predict what."

"It won't be to the death right?" Katara had read up on Agni Kais after Zuko had informed her of his plan in the garden two days ago. From all the histories she read, they were very often bloody and violent and rarely left with both participants breathing, if it was as intense as this one seemed to be.

"Killing your brother would rather counteract my promise that I'm trying to save his life," Zuko had said.

"Well, then of course." Katara had blinked at Zuko, so clueless. "You know I trust you."

"You say that now...maybe it's rude of me to ask you to remember that. You might not after today." Zuko swallowed hard, Adam's apple bobbing. "I don't want to hurt your brother, but..." He gnawed on his lip.

"Zuko-"

"I wish I could say it would be difficult. But Katara, spirits...I'm angry. I'm so freaking angry. At Sokka, at Aang, at Toph, at my father, my sister..." He screwed his eyes shut. "I feel so out of control and that's what scares me. I am born of two different family lines and I feel like both of their influences are biting at me at all times. There is the side of Roku, who is kind and just. Then, there is the side of Sozin who whispers and goads me to do awful things, and for a second, I can see how my father falls to it so easily."

"I understand that," Katara said, thinking of the lengths she had gone to and would have been willing to go to in order to save her people. "It reminds me of an old tale that was told in my tribe. Two wolves, one good and one bad, are pulling all of us in different directions. Only one can win. And you know which one it will be?" she asked. Zuko looked up, shaking his head ever so slightly. "The one you feed."

She placed her hands on his cheeks, feeling the warmth from his skin against her palms.

"Zuko, you are a good person. If you continue to choose the side of good, that other wolf...or dragon...it won't have any space to grow and will cease to exist."

"That's the thing, Katara." He detached her hands gently, and held them for a moment, as though trying to memorize the lines across her palms. "I am unsure that I can let the good dragon win tomorrow. I have to let out the other one. If I do too little, they may still call for Sokka's death, and I can't say they're all wrong. It's a miracle I managed to spin even this. So it has to be brutal. It has to be something...something where you may hate me forever."

"But-"

"And part of me – more – fears that if I let that dragon out...Sozin's...I won't be able to get him back in," Zuko said quietly, a hushed admittance that silenced any reply from Katara. He leaned down and kissed her chastely, but for a long time. "I'm selfish, I know, but this might be the last time we kiss. After this."

"Zuko," Katara grasped at him for more, "Stop being so dramatic. I know you and I know you're...you're doing what we have to."

Zuko didn't look sure. But Katara had been... up until she entered the arena and saw Zuko readying himself at one end, her brother nowhere to be seen.

What would please these venomous vultures in the crowd that called for her brother's head?

Katara was ushered to a row right near the front. She saw Ozai watching her from across the room, looking pleased. He was clearly hoping she'd break, and this suddenly made Zuko's first two instructions make sense.

Yue and Suki filed in next to her, each of them grasping one of her hands. She closed her eyes, just briefly, wishing Toph was here. They could experience this horror together. She wished Aiga was by her side, standing above her, whispering encouragement.

She let her prayers float up for just a second then opened her eyes, forcing herself to look as uninterested as she could manage.

She noticed Mai was seated far away from her. For the best; Katara had done a damn good job of avoiding the sullen girl and it seemed the Fire Sages were trying to keep them apart as well. It was as though they thought Katara was going to stab her. Which, all things considered, was one of the tamer fantasies Katara had had in terms of giving Mai what she deserved.

Lu Ten and Ursa were looking at her with sadness. Lu Ten stood tall, positioned where Iroh usually was, but he seemed tiny in comparison. At least, she figured, at the end of the day she knew she had both of their support. She wasn't sure about Azula, so in reality, there was only one person definitely shoving against her and her place here.

However, Ozai's influence and dislike of her was a stronger force than any of those who liked her combined, so...

There were murmuring and attention to the side of the arena. Katara bit the inside of her cheeks so hard that she drew blood as she watched her brother dragged out in chains. His lip was bleeding and he was so dirty. How could someone get so muddied that fast? It was as though the guards had been dragging him through the earth, shoving it into every pore. Most of all...he looked frightened and gaunt, though he tried to hide it. Katara knew him too well though, and his upturned chin was only a veneer.

His eyes searched the crowd and found Katara's. She felt Suki tighten her grip on her.

Sokka pulled forward, up to where Katara was.

"Nukilik, pussik," Sokka commanded, striving to reach his sister. Be strong, he said. Be strong, cougar. She pursed her lips and tried to summon that strength he referred to.

She felt the entire world's eyes on her. But this moment was not theirs. It was her moment and her brother's. She responded in kind.

"Nagligivaget," she whispered back, reaching out to brush noses with him, but found herself too far away to touch. Like a wisp of smoke, he hovered just out of reach, before he was yanked away from her.

As soon as Sokka was shoved into the dirt, Katara knew she was right to have skipped breakfast today.

"Today we gather for Prince Sokka of the Southern Water Tribe to face judgment. Lady Toph Bei Fong has already found hers, so in turn, we will give Prince Sokka his too," Zuko said, his voice echoing through the stadium, "He has been tried for treason in the Royal Palace and sullied his honor and the honor of all who associate with him. So, to remedy this, Prince Sokka...I challenge you to an Agni Kai."

Sokka nodded once. "I accept."

The guards took the chains off of him. Sokka shook out his shoulders and wrists, and after a long moment, Katara realized they intended to give him no weapons. As resourceful as her brother was, this was cruel.

However, that was rather the point, was it not? And, as it was, this was traditionally done between firebenders, though it at the core was a matter of honor. She supposed if by some spirit-send he was able to miraculously firebend...but otherwise?

"We will not go until the death." A Fire Sage stood. "In his ultimate mercy, Heir Apparent Prince Zuko has elected to spare Prince Sokka."

Boos echoed around the stadium. Katara locked her jaw. There were a few, beneath the shouts, that clapped. Thank Spirits not everyone was a sadist here. She was pleased to see that none of the girls were the ones that booed, not even Nadhari. In fact, On Ji was tearing up, Cillia comforting her with soft shoulder touches.

"Instead, we will go until Prince Zuko feels as though the punishment has been met."

Zuko turned, finding Katara's eyes. He frowned. It was a warning.

He's trying to save your brother, Katara reminded herself, something dark grasping her stomach and threatening to collapse her, whatever he does, it is better than death.

Before Katara could take even another breath, the fight began.

Sokka fought back. He fought with the fury of a cougar, a wolf, and an owl behind him. He was resourceful and cunning and surprisingly light on his feet for someone who had been locked away in a cell for days. If their father was there, he'd be so proud of the warrior Sokka had become.

He had to make it look real, Katara realized, or losing to Zuko would mean nothing. They wanted a show...he would give them one.

And he was trying his hardest, Katara also saw. He was pushing with everything he had. There wasn't a single moment he was trying to go easy on Zuko.

And he was still going to lose, even if that wasn't his intention.

Zuko, similarly, started off going a bit easy on him, but as the jeers in the crowd grew louder and the frown on his father's face depended, he began to fight with vigor and dedication that would have Sokka seeking a yield in no time.

At one point, a trail of fire licked the ground and burned up to Sokka's exposed feet. He stumbled a bit, and it was the sound he made...just a pathetic whimper, something so small that escaped from his throat. He'd grunted and groaned and snarled in this fight, but that sound was the worst Katara had heard.

Or, she'd be horrified to learn, the worst so far.

Zuko fought as she'd never seen. There was something so violent in the way he landed his blows that Katara was starting to understand his concerns and worries. It reminded her of the way that Azula had fought Ty Lee. She was impressed by his will-power up until that point; for all the rage she held inside her, Zuko's darker impulses were far worse and far more devastating than she imagined hers could be.

From where Ozai sat, he was no longer looking on with disappointment. If anything, he was staring at Zuko as though he'd never truly seen his son before. Azula whispered something to Ozai but he ignored her entirely, tilting his head and staring at Zuko with a peculiar look that Katara could not place.

Azula turned, scowling, watching her brother. She said something else, and since she was turned to face the crowd, Katara understood.

Katara read her lips: 'I could have fought this better.'

Ozai just glared at her and she seemed to shrink under his heated scowl.

Sokka was bleeding and riddled with cuts and bruises. She imagined someone had to call it soon, right? That Zuko would stand back and let this be enough?

But it wasn't, and deep down, both Sokka and Katara knew this too.

Sokka lay panting on the ground, spitting up blood as he rolled over.

"I... yield..." he whispered, his voice catching. Zuko started to move back, but Ozai's deep, baritone laugh seemed to shake the whole stadium.

"Stupid boy, you do not get to yield," he sneered. He turned to his son. "Finish this."

Zuko paused, closing his eyes. When he opened them, there was something in them that Katara did not recognize. It was cold, unfriendly, and she hoped he was never prodded too far to the point where she'd have to see that again.

He extended his hand, and the sound of Sokka's scream would haunt Katara for the rest of her life. It was unlike anything she'd heard before. And, as the crowd cheered and Suki and Yue tried to keep her upright, she retreated into her mind. Beside her, she heard the faint thud as On Ji fainted and a few handmaids rushed to her side.

He's trying to save Sokka...

He's trying to save him...

He's trying to save my brother...

Katara did not know how long Sokka yowled and screamed. The end of the fight was hazy in her mind like she was walking in a dream. She felt something rise up in her throat but swallowed it back down, forcing her face to remain neutral. They wanted her to cry. To make a scene.

She would not.

As Zuko turned, she felt a shiver of fear run up her spine. Not at him, not exactly. She was not afraid of Zuko, at least, not the Zuko she knew well or the Zuko who had been so sure she'd leave him after this. No, she was afraid of the knowledge she now held...the knowledge that if pushed, Zuko could be responsible for a truly dark side of himself that could do things Ozai would probably love.

Suki helped her out of the arena.

As soon as she was out of the view of the crowd, Katara collapsed against the wall. She felt faint. She bit her fist hard and screamed into it, pressing herself into the coolness of the tiled wall.

Suki stood above her, rubbing her arms and wiping back tears.

"What in the name of...what's wrong with them?" Suki said above her. Katara had never seen her so spooked. "That was barbaric."

"Agni Kais are antiquated, and frankly everyone loses. This is no exception." Mai's words surprised her. The rest of the girls had filed out after Katara. "Is she okay?"

"Lotta' gall you have to ask that," Alcina snarled, standing in front of Katara protectively.

"I'm not...I'm not here to fight," Mai said quietly.

"Walk away, Mai," Suki said with a harsh tone, "You don't get to be sorry now."

Katara was still hundreds of miles away, hiccupping and sobbing, and later she would be grateful for the wall of her friends that shielded her from curious eyes, wanting to see the traitor's sister.

Once Katara had expelled her fury and sadness and pain, she stood. Suki called after her, but Katara walked forcefully to the other end of the arena, where the Royal Family and their prisoner were gathered. She passed Mai and did not even spare her a second glance, though Mai tried to step forward, perhaps to offer some words of apology.

"Why is he still in chains?" She only caught a glimpse of her brother, the guards obscuring most of him. She could not see the true extent of the damage.

She also was not sure where Zuko was.

"He will be released in a week. Penance, for his crimes," Ozai said evenly.

"This wasn't enough?" she spat out.

"Hardly," Ozai said with a sigh. "But I suppose it will have to do."

"Let me see him, then!" Katara demanded, trying not to yell too loud or seem uncouth. "Please."

"To heal him?"

"Well, of course, he's-" Katara scoffed, unsure why Ozai could think to even ask that.

"No, little girl," Ozai spat in her direction, placing his hands together in front of him. "Your brother will wear his scars as a reminder of his sins. Just hope we don't have to do the same for you. Get back to your chambers, before I decide to include you in his disloyalty."

The old Katara would have fought. The one that knew how thin the ice she walked on could become bit back all the choice names she had for the Fire Lord and looked around once more for Zuko.

"Where is Prince Zuko?" she found the courage to ask.

"Likely washing off," Lu Ten said softly, staring at Katara with tender sadness. "I would not expect to see him the rest of the night," he added, for there was a small gathering of curious people listening in.

"Can you give him a message?" Katara said, knowing Lu Ten would repeat it faithfully.

"Of course, Princess," he said, though Ozai looked irked by her request.

"Tell him...thank you for taking mercy on my brother," she said in a soft tone, hoping that he understood. At the end of the day, she was not mad at him. She was mad at Sokka and Toph for being reckless, but more so, mad at Ozai for thinking this was the solution. If anyone thought Zuko did this gleefully, they were insane. He was just as trapped as she was here. She also hoped that it would annoy Ozai that she was being so restrained about this whole affair. If she fought back and called him names, he'd have reason to kick her out.

Well, she sure as hell wasn't going to play that game with him.

"Of course, Princess." Lu Ten's voice was grating, as though pained that she had to utter those words. "Let this be a reminder." Underneath his voice, there was bountiful relief. Perhaps, in a sense, that it had not ended with a death. Ozai seemed momentarily pleased by Lu Ten's words. Then, he turned to Katara and raised his chin.

"Out of my sight."

This time, when Ozai commanded her, Katara obeyed.

She told the girls she wished to walk back alone and they all agreed, even though Suki took some convincing.

Katara took a winding way back, needing to walk off her urge to cry again.

In a hallway closed off to the public that would bring her near the gardens, still under repair from the first Equalist attack, she nearly tripped over a figure in a cloak.

"Zuko?" she sputtered, getting to her knees as she looked at Zuko's face in the dim light of the barely lit corridor.

His eyes were distant, still cold. Not in cruelty, in a sort of disassociation that was still worrisome.

"Are you okay?" She pressed her hands to his cheeks.

"My father...after the match...he came up to me. He told me he was proud of me," Zuko whispered.

"Oh." Katara's skin crawled at that idea.

Zuko glanced up, cheeks wet. "He's never said that to me before."

At once, Katara understood the layers in his voice. The confusion. The frustration. The anger. And on some small level, the desperate need, even now, to be accepted by his father.

"I'm so sorry," she said honestly. She'd grown up with two parents that doted compliments upon her and Sokka and never once had she doubted their love for her. She knew that Iroh had tried to make up where his brother was cold and did not seem to like his first-born, but that would have been easier if Ozai was dead and therefore impossible to ever please or displease.

"Can I do anything?" Katara asked.

"You're not...leaving?"

"No," Katara said, sitting shoulder to shoulder with him, "I'm not."

Zuko nodded lightly but didn't smile. His mind seemed entirely elsewhere. "Can you just...sit here with me?"

"Of course," Katara said, intertwining their fingers together. "I can certainly do that."

XXxx

Katara waved to Alcina, Suki, and Yue as they packed up to travel with Zuko to the Earth Kingdom town of Shi Sha.

She was pretty damn sure Ozai was trying to break her mentally and had specifically taken away the girls he knew to be Katara's support system, if only for a few days. One might say Katara was being overdramatic.

She doubted it.

There had been a long conversation in the Ladies' Room about the remaining trips. There were still six remaining, though the majority of girls who had been scheduled to attend had been cut. For this trip, for example, which had already been pushed back, Alcina was the only original member left.

Zhi and Zuko had decided that it was most fair for more girls to be allowed to join, but to cap trips at two or three. Since the numbers were dwindling and the pressure to pick a wife was slowly rising, it would give him a chance to know them even better.

He'd wanted Katara to go on this trip, but Ozai had strode into the room and tried to take her off all the trips she was still currently slated for, which was four.

"She is quite a hated woman, I believe. It's for her safety. We can't predict how the average person will react to a Water Tribesman, now can we?" he'd said, his voice even, but Katara was sure he was smirking at her.

"Uhm, you can just tell them not to attack her?" Suki muttered sourly.

"Royal decree should do the trick," Cilla agreed. Thankfully, Ozai seemed not to hear either girl.

"I don't know if that's fair though, Father," Zuko argued, and after much back and forth, Katara was just barely allowed to remain on her trips, but not allowed to join the two others.

Katara knew that Shi Sha was close to where Aang was hiding out. Zuko had told her once she'd decided to stay here, in case she ever had to make a quick escape. He said if she ever needed asylum, she'd be safe there.

"It's convenient but totally coincidental with our plans," Zuko had said when Katara questioned if they had really been planning on going to Shi Sha or if he'd switched around a few trips to make sure the group was okay.

Sometimes – and only sometimes – the world worked in their favor.

She was sad to see the group of three go. The girls left at the palace were no one that Katara felt particularly like socializing with, which was perfectly fine. She'd spend the next couple days hiding out in her room. Whatever. No big deal.

She waved them off with everyone else and was about to turn away when she heard a quiet 'ahem'. All the girls turned to see Ursa standing.

"Princess Katara?"

"Yes?" Suddenly, Katara was worried she was going to be reprimanded for something. She couldn't give less of a rat's ass about what Ozai thought, but she hated the idea of disappointing Ursa in some way.

"Would you please join me?"

From her tone, it seemed Katara wasn't the only one that thought she was about to get yelled at. Nadhari snorted, grinning as Zhi escorted the girls away.

Once out of earshot, Ursa turned to Katara.

"I have not yet had the chance to say how sorry I am," Ursa said unexpectedly, "About your brother and Lady Bei Fong."

Katara gave a rough laugh. "That they were caught, or..."

"That they had to be separated and that he was forced to fight my son," she said, frowning as though ill at the idea Katara thought her so cold. "That all of that happened. I cannot imagine how it has been for you."

"Right. Sorry." She winced, sure she'd just offended Ursa on like twenty different levels.

"It can be difficult to know who is your friend here, I understand that," Ursa said, sighing sadly. "I remember the feeling. I do not wish to be your enemy, Princess. Iroh speaks too fondly of you, Lu Ten sees you as a younger sister, Azula is even somewhat mystified, and my son...well." She smiled. "So it seems I'd be foolish not to believe it when they say you are a kind-hearted girl, if not strong-willed."

"I didn't..." Katara broke off. "Don't you mean... Iroh spoke?" she asked after a moment of consideration. There was a crafty look in Ursa's eye.

"I'm not fishing for information, my dear," she said, confirming what was Katara's first fear. "I have no reason to tell my husband any of what we speak of. In fact, please do not give me any confirmation. I just..." She turned her head to stare at the place where Iroh's photo once hung, now taken down. "I believe my good brother to be far too crafty and far too intelligent to have simply backed down and accepted his death. Toph too," she said after a second. "You two are friends?"

Katara sniffled. "Best friends, I guess. Yeah."

"Good friends are hard to find, even if they are frustrating at times. Keep her close," Ursa advised. She paused. "I know that we have not talked much, but I know that you likely feel very alone here right now. Ozai is not being...as careful as he often is. I may not be your first choice, but if you feel the need to speak with someone, my chamber door is open to you," she said. She sounded mothering, and Katara believed all of it. Katara wondered if she was offering her ear for the rest of the girls.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Katara mumbled.

"Please, at this point, you are in nearly the final running to become my daughter-in-law," she said, though, from the glow in her eyes, she seemed to know that Katara was at a higher probability than, say, Alcina. "We must do away with such formalities. It's Ursa, or Lady Ursa if you must."

"Sure, okay," Katara agreed, but only because she wasn't sure how to respectfully decline.

"You must be getting back, lest the other girls become jealous," Ursa motioned back toward the halls they'd just walked, "I doubt even I will be able to sway Ozai to allow you to see your brother soon, but believe me, I am trying." She seemed to pause, eyebrows creased, almost saying something more. "I think that what he did was..."

"What?" Katara tilted her head, curious to see how far she'd speak against her husband. She looked around, shaking her head.

"Stay well, Princess."

XXxx

Aang ran his fingers through his freshly shorn hair, staring at the pile to be swept outside. It had been years with this hair, and though he had hated the idea and everything it stood for when Zuko first told him he'd have to grow it out, he would admit he'd grown used to it. Perhaps not fond, but it was familiar.

He ran his fingers through the soapy water in the bucket, itching his scalp and he lathered. Then, using the sharp knife that Dhakiya had found for him, he leaned over a bucket of clean water to see his reflection and began to shave. Slowly, inch by inch, his arrows took shape again.

When he was done, he stared at himself in surprise for a few long seconds. The last time he'd been bald he'd been a child; his cheeks had some of that baby fat, his eyes had been bright, his smile toothy. Now, his chin was more defined and he was starting to feel the stubble of a beard poking through. His expression was more adult and he felt uncomfortable with this new visage, even though he'd been aching to return to his roots.

It felt so strange without hair there anymore.

"Oh, wow!"

Aang turned to see Ty Lee at the door with their laundry. His palace clothes were among them, and he watched her lay them down. He'd not only reclaimed the baldness of his tradition, but Iroh had left a packet of items on his bed. He wasn't sure where they were before, but he had them back. His glider, leaning against the wall. A few items he'd shoved into a bag before going out into the night 117 years ago. And, finally, his old Air Nomad clothes.

They still smelled like the Air Temples, a whiff of orange and wind from long ago.

True, most didn't fit. He'd had to retro-fit it the best he could to his current height, making a sarong and pair of pants. It was far too hot to wear the whole ensemble anyway.

"Can I? Or is that...rude?" Ty Lee asked, motioning to his head, specifically, his arrows. She was ever-curious about the Air Nomads and Aang was always pleased to tell her about their people.

"You've touched my arrows before."

"Never your head," Ty Lee said, but took that as a sign. She brushed her fingers over the blue tattoos, sighing. "They're beautiful! How do you get them?"

From the look in her eye, her query wasn't just curiosity.

"It takes a lot of work," Aang laughed, "You have to become an Airbending Master."

"Okay, how do I do that?"

Aang had no doubt one day she'd earn her arrows, but her determination made him giggle. "You have to master all thirty-six Tiers of Airbending. Though...I was, uhm, allowed to get them early. Because I invented the Air Scooter. Technically, I'm missing one," Aang said, a thought that had not crossed his mind in years.

"Which one was it?" Ty Lee asked. Aang was about to answer when he heard a low hum from outside. His heart thudded and he grabbed Momo from his perch near the bed.

"Appa!" he cried, throwing his entire body at the large bison. Appa mooed and moaned happy sounds, licking Aang from head to toe. Aang buried his face in Appa, and only pulled back when he heard the sound of ceramic breaking.

He wiped tears from his eyes, turning to see all the newest members of the camp staring warily at Appa. Shoji had dropped a bowl of food, staring slack-jawed.

"What in the good name of Agni is that?" he asked, jumping back when Appa moved.

"My air bison!" Aang replied gleefully. "He's friendly. Right, buddy? Yes! Yes, you are," he said, starting to scratch all over. Appa flopped and turned to his stomach for a better belly rub.

There were small giggles and some of the children that had been here long before Aang jumped on Appa's stomach, stretching and rubbing.

"See?" Aang motioned, "He's a big fluff-ball."

"The kids know if they scratch, he gives them rides later," Dhakiya said, coming up and pressing her forehead to Appa's snout. "It's safe below the tree-line, and well, it gives the kids something to look forward to."

Appa responded to Dhakiya as he did with Aang. At first, Aang felt a flash of anger and jealousy, until he pulled his emotions in. He was glad someone loved Appa when Aang could not be with him.

"He's most useful," Dhakiya continued, throwing a whole watermelon in his lolled mouth, "Ferrying newcomers. It would take days to get to the other side of the swamp, even with the swamp on our side. Appa gets there pretty immediately."

"Yeah, I know that," Aang said a bit sharper than he intended. It was his bison for goodness' sake...He knew very well how far and fast he went!

Dhakiya looked at him, almost pityingly, and stepped back. She seemed to recognize that Aang's feelings toward Appa right now were mixed.

"He's adorable! Look at those big eyes," Ty Lee squealed, "Oh, wow, Aang."

"Appa, meet Momo. And Ty Lee," Aang said, speaking to Appa. He knew Appa understood. "Remember these guys?" he said. Appa gently shook the children off and turned back around. Momo flew up, sitting right between Appa's ears. It was comical the size differences, but Momo seemed entirely comfortable, innately recognizing they were from the same place. It seemed Momo was choosing to stay there.

Appa looked at Ty Lee and licked her too, though not as thoroughly as Aang's slimy covering.

"That means he likes you," Aang said, sighing, for the first time in a very long time, in utter joy and ease.

---

Next chapter will be out on Feb 13th! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

511K 14.9K 30
Katara is 18 and the Southern Water Tribe has held an uneasy allegiance with the Fire Nation for the last 100 or so years. When Katara's tribe goes t...
394K 17.2K 42
*FINAL BOOK* At last, Saki found her place in the world - fighting side by side with the soon-to-be-legendary Team Avatar. That is, until she's forci...
95.3K 3.3K 44
When Prince Zuko fails to capture the avatar but was able to return home when informing the Fire Lord. His uncle, General Iroh, had arranged an event...
34.6K 955 20
Aang masters the Avatar State - at the stake of his love for Katara. While he doesn't forget the feeling of loving her - it isn't as strong as it on...