Stasis || Bucky Barnes

By Frayed-Apart

Book 1 in the Stasis series. 'What's more relaxing than setting something on fire?" "Is that rhetorical?" Buc... More

00
Intro
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty one
Twenty two
Twenty three
Twenty four
Twenty five
Twenty six
Twenty seven
Twenty eight
Twenty nine
Thirty
Thirty one
Thirty two
Thirty three
Thirty four
Thirty five
Thirty Six
Epilogue
AN
Sequel

Twelve

10.8K 600 58
By Frayed-Apart

The pub where Basil and Bucky were due to meet Steve and the rest of their new team was hidden away on a street a short distance away from the main command offices. Light spilled from the doors, interspersed with laughter and voices, as the sky turned black. As the two soldiers pushed the doors open, Basil saw the employees begin to draw the blackout curtains on the windows and dim the lights with shades. Not that this stopped the cheerful atmosphere inside. The patrons, who were mostly soldiers and officers, didn't let up in their chatter.

"Bucky!" A blonde head over the crowd. Steve beaming at them. Basil tired not to wince at the golden boy. Bucky's face lit up and he beamed back. Basil looked between the two of them for a second, before placing a slight smile on his face and pushing through the crowd.

Steve was standing before a large round table which had been pushed back into a corner, away from the bar and general hubbub. Six other men were squeezed round it. All of them older than Basil, even older than Bucky and Steve. Basil felt them sing him up as he and Bucky approached. "Heya Stevie", Bucky greeted, patting Steve heavily on the shoulder.

"Heya Buck", Steve sighed back. They parted and he gestured to two empty seats next to him. Basil took the seat next to the man in a red cap. Bucky  sneaking between him to sit next to Steve. "Nice to see you Parrish", Steve greeted and Basil smiled wider as they shook hands over the table. "Looking good now that you're out of the hospital".

"Nothing I couldn't handle", Basil shrugged. Steve chuckled.

"Well, Buck, Parrish. These are the other members of our team; Dum dum Dugan, Monty Falsworth, Jim Mortia, Gabe Jones, and Jacques Dernier". Each man nodded at them as Steve introduced them. Dum Dum and Gabe both raising their pints up in acknowledgement.

"Sargent James Buchanan Barnes", Bucky greeted, taking time to shake all their hands.

"My turn", Basil joked. He lightly nudged Bucky's arm away and held out his own. "Corporal Jahi Basilton Parrish. Pleasure". He did not let his smile falter as the men all shook his hand.

"I remember you". Basil thought it might have been Gabe Jones who spoke. He was a dark skinned man in his mid to late twenties. When he spoke it was with a thick American accent. Basil struggled to place it but it seemed like a accent from somewhere near or about New York.

Gabe grinned and shook Basil's hand enthusiastically. "You were the singing kid! We were all in captivity with 107th. You were the one who read to us, and sung hymns. We meet again". Instantly the faces of the other men broke into surprises smiles.

"You have some balls boy", Dum dum complimented. His blonde moustache rippled as he spoke. He must be in his thirties or early forties. "The way you laughed as you were taken to the labs. That kid sent shivers down my spine. Boosted moral though".

Basil broke with a startled cackle. "Glad to entertain", he smiled.

"We owe the two of you as much as we owe Cap America", Jim commented. He was a smaller Asian man in his thirties. Basil thought he recognised him from one of the cages during captivity.

"Yes", Jacques added. His accent as thickly French as his name. He didn't seem to know much English and he struggled slightly on the words. "Good to see you alive Parrish". Basil grinned at him.

"I have never read Frankenstien until then", Monty chuckled. He was the oldest of them, eyes lined with crows feet. "If my mother knew that I had finally read that damn book, she would be so proud". He laughed and leaned back in his seat as he took a swig of beer, one hand adjusting his red cap as he grinned. Basil lit up at the English accent.

"Where are you from?" He asked eagerly.

"Cambridge", Month replied.

"I could tell. You Oxford and Cambridge chaps always have a thicker accent than us southerners. I'm from Canterbury but I've spent a lot of my time in London".

"Sorry to interrupt", Steve's voice broke their conversation. Basil turned to face him. As all the gathered men put down their glasses. Steve smiled at them and continued. "The brass want me to take a team and take down the rest of the hydra bases in Europe. We have a map of their estimated locations and I'll need a small team to get in and out. Now I'll need the best men with me. Which is why I'm here with you". He looked around at them all, blue eyes calm but earnest.

"So let's get this straight"- Dum Dum started as his pint hit the table.

"We barely got out of the alive and you want us to go back?" Gabe interrupted.

Steve nodded. "Pretty much".

"That sounds", Month paused. "Rather fun actually". Next to him, Jim belched.

"I'm in".

Jacques let out a sentence of rapid French which Basil couldn't comprehend. (He was never very good at French). Gabe replied with his own softer words and Jacques let out a bark of laughter. He and Gabe shook hands. "We're in", Gabe stated with a chuckle.

"Hell I'll always fight", Dum dum shrugged. He drained the last of his beer and let the pint glass clank onto the table. "But you've got to do one thing for me".

"What's that?"

"Open a tab". The men all laughed and all offered up their empty pints.

Steve grinned and stood up. "I'm not carrying all that. Get them yourselves". There was a groan which dissolved into casual chatter as Steve strode away to the bar. Bucky followed him and after a second of debate, Basil stood up as well. He leaned against the bar on Steve's other side. Him and Bucky caging the blonde in. The bar surface was sticky with spilt drinks on his elbows but Basil still reclined against it casually.

"Another round", Steve asked.

"Where are they putting all this stuff?" The bar man said in astonishment.

"Americans", Basil shook his head at him. "Worst of all, American soldiers. Trust me and just give them the alcohol". The server's eyebrows raised and he buried off to fetch more pints.

"Told you", Bucky commented once the man left. He drained a glass of whiskey that Basil hadn't noticed him ordering. "They're all idiots". In the background he could hear someone play a piano.

"How about you?" Steve nudged Bucky with his shoulder. "Want to follow captain America towards the jaws of death?"

"Hell no". Bucky sighed. "I'm following a guy from Brooklyn who is too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him". Steve smiled softly and the two of them shared a look. For a moment Basil was jealous. He wanted that friendship and strength with someone. He wanted that ability to completely trust and rely on another. The envy made his throat feel bitter. He snatched up a pint the server had placed for him and took a swig.

The action made Steve and Bucky blink. Both men remembering that Basil was there. "What about you Parrish?" Steve asked. "You in?"

Basil huffed and ran a hand through his curls. "Only because you're probably going to need a doctor on this mad quest". He shrugged and flashed Steve with a sly grin. "You're keeping the suit right?" Steve tipped his head back with a full belly laugh. Around him, Basil saw Bucky smirking into his drink. He winked at the blue eyed man and Bucky raised and eyebrow.

"You know what kid", Steve breathed. "It's kinda growing on me".

"Nope", Basil held up a hand. "Sorry Cap but I'm only two years younger than you and if you dare call me kid again then you can bandage your own wounds".

"Fair enough".

"Told ya Steve", Bucky chuckled. "Parrish doesn't take any shit".

"No I don't", Basil toasted Bucky with his glass and took a gulp. Around them, the bar seemed to fall quiet for a moment. The noise lowering in a wave as men stopped to stare. Basil put down his drink and turned to watch as a stunning dark haired woman in a red dress crossed the pub towards them. Instantly all three soldiers were on their feet as her heels clicked forwards.

"Agent Carter", Steve said lowly. Agent Carter eyed the gave Basil and Bucky a quick glance before her eyes narrowed in on Steve. Basil noticed that her lipstick was the same shade of her dress. It was the same brand his mother would sometimes wear.

"Howard's has some equipment for you to try, if you have some time in the morning", her voice was soft but had a sternness under them. She was a woman used to giving orders.

"I do", Steve replied. Basil watched as Bucky's eyes flittered between the Carter and Steve. He looked up and caught Basil's gaze, eyes slightly sad and confused. Basil rolled his eyes and made a subtle gesture. A flicked finger between Steve and Carter, then a slight pursing of the lips. Busky's eyes widened then narrowed as he realised. He pulled a face and Basil tried not to laugh.

The noise picked up again and Agent Carter's head turned slightly towards their table in the corner. "I see that your team is prepping for duty", she commented.

"Do you not like music?" Steve asked.

"I do actually". Her eyes were very dark in the dim lighting. Focus heavy on Steve's face. "I might after all this is over, go dancing".

"Then what are you waiting for?" Bucky asked, a slight snort in his voice.

"The right partner". She smiled slightly then turned away. "Have a good night captain". Then she was clicking away out of the pub. Steve staring after her with a dazed expression.

"Yes ma'm. I'll be there!" He called after her.

As soon as she was gone, Bucky was shaking his head in disbelief. "I'm turning into you", he huffed at Steve. "I don't believe this. I'm invisible".

Basil snorted with sniggers. Bucky frowned at him and Basil threw an arm around his shoulder to turn him back to the bar. "Come on Sarge. You're still a playboy, just let Cap have his moment to process".

Bucky turned to look at Steve again. He snorted, grin cracking his face. "Fair", he conceded. "I'll let him have this. Another two drinks over here!" He called. Basil laughed and downed the rest of his pint.

Unedited

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

566K 20.8K 34
When two souls endure enough devastation to bring the world to its end, they do the unexpected. They s u r v i v e. [BUCKY BARNES] ...
94.2K 2.6K 14
Steve and Abigail Rogers have known Bucky Barnes since they we children. But when he gets drafted to go to war things start to change. When Steve enr...
456 19 13
BOOK 1 IN WHICH A WOMAN FALLS IN LOVE WITH BESTFRIEND, THE CHARMING BUCKY BARNES . OR IN WHICH A WOMAN IS RECRUITED TO BE PEGGY'S PARTNER, JUST SEE...
11.1K 268 23
Not updated often, just for when stuff comes to mind; such as, imagines preferences and one shots. In the future I may post more explicit and mature...