Wasn't Expecting You

By prettiestoflies

Joey got up off my bed and made his way out of the room, stopping before he exited. "For the record, if we h... More

Character Aesthetics
Locke House
Not my type
The Busy Bean
I'm Unforgettable
Partners
You Surprise Me
You play?
After Party
Sandra
Blacktops
Avoiding
Date Night
Stay With Me
Alone
The Past
Mom
Halloween
Happy
Meet the Family
Benjamin Cameron
Thanksgiving
One Day
Birthday
Bubble of Bliss
Momma Knows
Love
History on Repeat
He will be ok?
Team Indigo
Hold Me Tonight
Show me how much
Daddy's little girl
When one door closes
Breathe
A Hundred Questions
San Diego
Could never love you like you needed
Brother
Beau
Ice-cream
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Update

We're coming home

4.3K 143 30
By prettiestoflies

"Is this everything?" David asked Mrs Barnes, taking hold of a small suitcase from the front entryway of the house Beau had called a home for the last year.

On the staircase sat Bradley and two other kids, watching with a hint of bitterness as we prepared for Beau to leave and come home with us. Every foster kids dream.

"Yes, that's all. I know it's not much," Mrs Barnes says looking guilty, but Sophia touches her arm and gives her a sympathetic look, telling her that she understands completely.

"Thank you, you've done a great job. He is a good kid and I can tell you have been a good influence on his life," Sophia tells her.

"Ok Beau, say goodbye to your friends," I said trying to usher us out of the house before we missed our flight.

With the help of Carla, Helen and Daniel we were able to rush through the system allowing us to take Beau home with us. It still felt so surreal that I had a brother and that he was coming to live with me, well at least for the summer before we return to college, but I would always know where he is and that he is in the best care. In just a week this small boy had wormed his way into my heart so much so, I can't imagine not ever knowing him.

As Beau said goodbye, I spoke to Mrs. Barnes. "Feel free to call me if you want to speak to him, you have my number," I told her sincerely.

"Thank you dear, I truely wish you both all the best," she said wrapping me up in a motherly hug.

"You are doing a fantastic job here. It's rare to find some of the best ones, you and Helen are amazing women and Beau and I were lucky."

Once everyone said goodbye we climbed into the car and drove off with Mrs. Barnes and the other kids all standing by the front gate waving us off. Beau sat up in his seat, watching them go out the back window until we turned the corner and couldn't see them anymore.

Arriving at the airport held so much excitement for Beau, he had never been on a plane before or even up close to any. Every time a plane roared overhead as they took off or landed he looked up to the sky in amazement, his little green eyes brighter and wider than ever.

"Look at that one!" He would point and because you should always do what a six year old tells you, we looked up too.

When we sat in the lounge pre flight, David and Sophia enjoyed a quiet coffee together while Joey and I sat with Beau by the window watching all of the planes taxi in and out of the runway and all the little people on the runway working.

"I want to fly planes when I'm a grown up! This is so cool!" Beau exclaimed.

"You can be anything you want to be, buddy," I smiled at him and for him. Knowing that from now on, both of our lives were going to be very different. Not just because the Cameron's are loaded, but because we have each other and we have love, kindness and family surrounding us. Something we both lacked for too long and were denied of without even knowing it.

I looked up from Beau to see Joey already watching me. Even without words I could see the pure love in his eyes. "You happy?" He mouthed. I nodded and mouthed back, "Very."

When the plane took off, I took a moment to look over Beau's head out the window at the city. I saw the ocean as the plane turned, the beautiful blues and greens morphing into white as it hit the sand. The city buildings and then the suburbs. From our low height I could still make out football fields and basketball courts.

Everyone has a starting point in life, this place was mine. Sometimes people stay in the one spot, forming an unbreakable connection. Some want to leave because the memories are too painful.

I was never going to come back, I thought I left it behind once before, but I was wrong. Maybe I would always have something drawing me back there, or maybe that tie was officially severed now. Only time could tell, but this time I wasn't ruling out the option of never coming back like I did before. Because now I know, that it is ok to come back and face your past, it doesn't always mean you will get hurt again. Sometimes you find something even better. Like a brother.

The plane ride, while quick, was apparently the most exciting thing to happen in Beau's life, like ever. Or so he told us over and over again. I didn't mind though, I had nearly seven years to catch up on with him. I watched him nearly the whole flight plus the drive home, he was wide eyed and jittery taking in all the new sights around him.

When we pulled through the gates of the Cameron estate his little jaw just about hit the floor of the car.

"You didn't say I was going to live in a mansion!" He whispered into my ear loud enough for everyone to hear.

I giggled at him. "Trust me, I had the same reaction when I first came here."

"Are you ready to meet everybody?" Joey asked him.

"Everybody? How many people live here?" Beau asked nervously.

"You will be lucky number 13! Including Morgan, Harper and me, but we only stay here during the summer and on holidays," Joey explained as Beau slowly nodded his head.

"Well ok, I guess I will meet everybody then!" He replied determinedly, causing all of us to stifle a laugh at his fierceness.

David pulled the car into the ginormous garage that I still hadn't wrapped my head around, despite my beat up old car gaining a space and we all climbed out.

"Leave the bag, Joey and I will come and get them later," David said as I had started to make my way to the trunk of the car.

I saw Joey frown at his dad for assigning him a job without asking first and bumped my shoulder into his laughing, "Thanks babe."

Joey swung his arm around my shoulder, bringing me in close to his body. "Yeah no worries," he sarcastically replied while rolling his eyes. Beau stood by the car looking incredibly nervous so I took his hand in mine and encouraged him to walk, him on one side of me and Joey on the other.

Sophia and David entered the house first, with us closely behind and as we made our way down the hallway I could hear lots of whispers. Stepping out into the large open living space everyone yelled "Surprise!" While standing under a big handmade banner reading 'Welcome Beau'.

A large grin erupted on my face as I looked down at Beau who was standing there open mouthed and slightly hiding behind my leg. I recognised that he was feeling a bit shy, the day had been a lot for him to handle so far.

Just like the first time we met, I crouched down to Beau's level to try to make him feel more comfortable.

"Are you ok buddy?" I whispered.

"Is this for me? This party?" He asked.

"It sure is. Everyone is really excited to have you here. Do you want to meet them all?"

Slowly he nodded his head. I took his hand and one by one Beau met all of the Cameron's. Once I gave him a cupcake with green icing he was feeling much more settled.

"Beau, would you like to see your new room?" Sophia asked him. He nodded in reply and took her outstretched hand. We followed them upstairs. I had assumed they might have just changed the sheets on one of the guest rooms to something more child appropriate and put a few toys into a room for him for now.

No, that's not how the Cameron's operate. They need you to know that you are welcomed and you are home. I mean they even put his favourite colour icing on the cupcakes.

From the top of the stairs I could already see the lettering on the door next to Jayda's room that read 'Beau'. When we walked inside I'm not sure who was more surprised to find that they had not only changed the bedding to a dinosaur themed quilt cover and green fitted sheets, but also some green blinds, some new clothes in the wardrobe, a desk and even some new toys including a brand new basketball sitting in the corner. Within days they had fully decorated a room that was just for him.

"Is this mine? I don't have to share?" He asked Sophia.

"This is completely your space. Do you like it?" She replied.

He walked around running his fingers along every surface, looking in the wardrobe, checking out the toys, looking out the window to see his view and finally climbing on the bed and bouncing a little bit.

He turned to Sophia, his smile bright and genuine, the innocence clear to see. "I love it! This is the coolest thing that's ever happened to me!"

Later that evening, when the hype had died down, we sat outside enjoying a family barbecue. Beau was fitting right in like he had been here forever. The boys had taken him to play basketball after dinner and from the court all we could hear was his squeals of laughter.

Deciding to help clean up so I could get a moment to myself, I started to clear the plates. I love Joey and I love his family, but sometimes the only time I seem to get to myself is when I'm in the bathroom. This whole week has been just as overwhelming for me as it has for Beau.

"I'll do those Morgan, you sit down!" Sophia says to me.

"No, it's ok. I insist," I tell her, continuing to pile the plates up. She must have sensed something in my tone or facial expression as she let me just do my thing.

Once in the kitchen I was able to stop and just breath. I placed the plates on the sink and then moved my hands to the edge of the bench and took a couple of deep breaths with my head to the floor. It felt good to feel like I can breath again in a moment of silence.

"You ok babe?" Joey's voice sounded before I saw him.

"Yeah, I just needed a moment," I said now placing the cutlery in the slide out draw in the dishwasher.

Now standing in front of me, he seemed to be assessing me, making sure I am telling the truth. I finished loading the dishwasher and joined him on the other side of the bench, wrapping my arms around his waist and resting my head on his shoulder. He held me without asking questions, because somehow he always seems to know just what I need.

From where we stood we could see the whole family outside, all the boys now back for a drink. They were chatting away with multiple different conversations, laughing, teasing, and most of all, happy.

I smiled into Joey's shoulder. "You know when I came to Arizona last year I had a solid plan. I would focus on my studies and my part time job, I would make a life for myself better than anything my mother could have given me. I would make my dad proud."

"He would be proud of you baby," Joey interrupts.

"I know he would. But my point was, I thought that I needed to do it all on my own. No distractions, no boys. But then you came along and proved me wrong at every turn. You showed me that I could still do everything I wanted to, but I could have someone loving me and cheering me on the whole time too. You also showed me that I could have a family again."

I pulled my head away from watching everyone outside and looked at Joey.

"I wasn't expecting you, Jonathon Cameron, but I'm so grateful every day for you and your love. I was pretty strong and determined on my own, but together we are even better."

"I love you so much Morgan," Joey whispered before capturing my lips in a kiss that felt like it was full of promises. Promises of a life together, of always supporting each other, a promise of never ending love.

The end.

A/N

Woah. The end.. what?!? Thank you soooo much to you beautiful people for your reads, votes and the occasional comment. I kinda never thought people would read this.
While this is 'the end' I'm totally that writer who is adding some cute bonus chapters. I have two planned out. I might also edit the first chapter, not change the plot or anything just make it... better. More appealing for people to keep reading.

Thanks a million! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

296K 6.6K 27
COMPLETED 5.14.18 SEQUEL TO MY BROTHERS BEST FRIEND Book 2/4 of the Adam's series - "I promise, I will ask you soon enough." He kisses my lips gentl...
889K 16.1K 44
Two people - broken in their own way - collide. Francesca's life was completely normal up to a couple months ago. Ethan's never known normality. Two...
1.1K 39 12
Meet Lola Zhang, Youngest of 2 to the Zhang family enterprise. Her parents only care about their eldest son, Luke Zhang, heir to the billion...
2.2M 53.8K 39
[COMPLETE!] "My best friend's brother grew up. Hot." Alexis is months from finishing college and starting a fashion label in New York. Years of plann...