The Angel Left Scarred By War

By Naib_Subedar_Clarity

Hello guys! My name is Clarity. Nice to meet you! Just the other day, I was watching Identity V game plays on... More

1: Naib Subedar

47 2 2
By Naib_Subedar_Clarity

"Almost there......" Naib mumbled as he bit his lips while he wrinkled his eyebrows in concentration. The situation was grim. The Seer was injured, the Mind's Eye was already eliminated as she was the first caught by the Hunter Joseph. The photographer was a relentless killer as he was currently occupied with chasing the Seer. One more cipher left and he might just make it in time to trigger "Borrowed Time", a persona that allows a person to have 50% of their health restored once the gate had been open. The Mercenary hoped that the remaining Survivors had brought the persona with them as he waited anxiously for the Seer to be hit so he can crack the cipher. But in the same time, he also feared that the photographer may have brought "Detention" as well.

"Augh!" A groan was heard from the distance. The Seer was finally unable to contain the hunter any longer as he was being struck down. Naib quickly tapped on the last key before the hunter had a chance to put the Seer on the balloon. With the loud blare of alarm, the horns announced to the Survivors that the gates are accessable. The Mercenary breathed a sigh of relief and quickly shouted a message to the Seer.

"Stay there. I'm coming!"

Naib stretched his arms and cracked his neck before getting ready to run. He spot a wall and used his elbow pad as a force to help him dash. Pretty soon, he was in front of the Seer.

Just as expected, the Photographer indeed brought "Detention" as his eyes glared a dangerous red against the foggy setting of Leo's Factory. The Seer was panting in exhaustion. Perhaps it was an after effect of using "Owl" too much.

"You did good Eli. I'll take over from this point on. Go, and don't worry. I will manage." Naib patted the Seer's back as he slid behind Eli to exchange positions with him as a body shield so Eli can get to safety.

"Are you sure? He brought "Detention."

"It's not like I can't see. Just go. I'll be fine." With that, Naib gave Eli a push before stopping in front Joseph to buy Eli more time to escape.

"Tsk, too much trouble."

"Augh!" The Mercenary let out a groan of pain. The Photographer's rapier pierced through his body as Joseph chuckled darkly. "You are always in the way whenever this happens. How sweet of you to sacrifice yourself for your teammate, Naib Subedar."

The Mercenary fell on his knees as he held a hand to his side. He bent over in pain. Despite all that, he was somehow still able to insult the hunter.

"Shut the hell up. You're just salty because we did well today."

"Mind your language!" Joseph glared and gave Naib another jab of his rapier as he cried out in pain. "And yes, I am not in a great mood at all so you'll be the perfect bean bag for me to get relief from."

"Naib!" Eli stood by the door and called out worriedly.

"What are you doing standing there?! Go!" Naib coughed as a huge amount of blood begin to pour from his mouth. "Get out!"

Eli bit his lips. He gave one last look at Naib and ran to the exit.

"Good bye, Naib Subedar."

Pain and agony cruised through his body as Joseph delivered his final blow. Soon, a warm and soft glow enveloped him as he opened his eyes and found himself back at the manor lobby. He had somehow managed a tie in the match.

"Naib! Oh my lord, are you okay?"

The Mercenary looked around and saw the Seer running toward him with a hurry. "I was so worried.... I know you'd get teleported here back in the lobby but still, it's not fun to be stabbed by Joseph for sure. It must be extra painful for you....."

Eli trailed off. He lowered his head. Naib couldn't see his expression nor his eyes as they were being covered by a mysterious piece of cloth. The Seer fidgeted his gloved hands in nervousness as today was his first match. He had just arrived at the Manor yesterday so he was still new.

Seeing how worried and anxious Eli was, Naib only gave him a smile and a pat on the head.

"It's fine." He grinned. "No harm done. What about you though? Are you alright? It's probably more painful for you since you had used "Owl" so many times and I know how much you love your bird here."

With that, Naib reached a hand and scratched the said owl's head. She cooed in happiness and tilted her head for Naib to scratch more areas. Eli only gave an embarrassed smile.

"It's true that I love Brooke." He explained. "But it was nice of you to take the hunter's blow for me. Thank you Naib."

"No problem." The Mercenary gave Eli a thumbs up and winked. Eli blushed and then, soon other voices could be heard in the lobby as well.

"Naib! You're back! Thanks for all of your good works today that we got at least a tie. Without you, we'd have lost the game completely!" The lively Gardner chirped as the quiet Mind's Eye followed after her.

"Mhm. Emma is right. We'd not have gotten a tie if it was not for Mr. Subedar!" The hug she gave Naib told him how grateful she was for him. Though she had lost her sight, but without her, Naib would never be able to decode all the cipher all by himself.

"Ah, no. I can never do this alone without you Ms. Adams. You're a great encouragement for us who have eyes to see. You inspire us." Naib said smiling. It's been a long time since he'd ever given anyone a smile or even a small one. To which shocked even himself.

"Ah, Naib! You smiled!" Emma pointed at the Mercenary and cried out in a happy voice. "You've been so grumpy that me and Emily thought you had never smiled before. Emily was even about to give you a counseling session herself."

Naib sweat dropped in hearing this. The Doctor's needle can be painful sometimes. Especially in game.

"I..... Please thank her for me in her effort, but I'm fine." He put his hands up in defense as he gave the Gardner a strained smile.

Suddenly, the room became quiet. You could almost hear the sound of a pin being dropped to the floor. Joseph had entered the room with an unreadable expression on his face.

The French Photographer was not like this normally. Behaving with such vicious violence contradicted his normal formal and polite manner.

"I must apologize for my violent actions against you, Mr. Subedar." Joseph began, his voice calm and smooth. "I had a horrible morning and I had not been in a good mood all day today. I apologize for my earlier actions."

With that, he bent low with a fancy French bow. Naib only waved his hand.

"Oh it's alright, Mr. Desaulniers. We all have bad days so it's only understandable. No harm done."

The Photographer straightened up and flashed a graceful smile.

"You're much kinder than your brothers. I am surprised to see someone like you in the Subedar family."

It was true. He was usually called Clarity when his brothers were around. As they all had the name "Naib Subedar". He was special. The second youngest before the youngest of the Subedar family, Spring Hand.

His brothers had always looked down on him as he was too soft of a person to be a mercenary. Clarity agreed with them. They were all experts at killing people. Especially Assassin, the second oldest among the Subedars. The only brothers he was able to get along with was with Hound and Spring Hand. As they understood his pain of being called a "wimp".

Clarity stood lost in memory. It took Joseph several times to call Clarity back from taking a further walk down the memory lane.

"Excuse me, Mr. Subedar, are you alright?" The French Photographer coughed and gently tapped Clarity on the shoulder. Clarity shook his head and focused his attention to the Photographer.

"Ah, my apologies. I was reminded of something."

Eli, who had been quiet for some time now, tugged at the corner of Clarity's cloak.

"Hey..... You should probably rest." He said as he looked up at Naib. He can't see the Seer's eyes. But he knew, they would be overflowing with concern.

"Yeah, you're all right about that. Maybe I should take a rest. Well, I'll be in my room if you guys need me!"

With that, Clarity walked away. He couldn't help but feeling a sense of loneliness inside. The butterfly that came with his costume offered little comfort as it fluttered it's wings and circled around Clarity. He can still hear the others talking about him faintly behind his back.

"Poor Naib..... He seemed to be the only one of the Subedar family who looked like he needs help from depression...... "

"Depression....?" Came Eli's voice.

"I mean, since you're new and you don't know much. It's best that we don't bring that up around Clarity. Poor guy..... "

Naib had heard enough. He continued walking with his head low. No one knows what kind of pain he had to go through to be who he is today. They don't need to understand. They shouldn't pity on him. He's got this. He can do it.

Or so he thought.

Life was never easy for him. First being made fun of by his other brothers, then he lost two of his best friends at the hands of the enemy in a war. Not to mention that the noises of the cipher machine reminded him of all the pain and fear back when he was still in the army. He never let those feelings get to him, but it seems like he's finally had enough of it.

Naib stopped in front of his room he shared with his brothers. The hand that was already resting on the knob is now hesitating in whether to turn the handle or to leave it, as he was too dreaded to face his brothers like this. No, he must be strong. After all, it's a soldier's dignity to remain unshakable at all times. With that, he took a deep breath and opened the door.

To his surprise, only Spring Hand and Hound was in the room.

The youngest turned his head around and soon, a bright smile lit up his face. "Clari!" He cried and jumped up to hug Clarity. Clarity chuckled. The smile from the little ball of energy was contagious. Somehow he was able to bring a smile to Clarity's face. Spring Hand was a joy to be around.

"Hey Spring Hand! How's my favorite little bro?" Clarity asked as he caught Spring Hand in the neck and rubbed his knuckle on his head. Spring Hand squirmed and giggled in protest as Hound shook his head while smiling at the two crackheads.

"I'm doing alright. How did the match go?" Spring Hand asked as he straightened himself and put his hat back on.

"It was a tie. I was paired with the new survivor, the Mind's Eye, and the Gardner. Our hunter was the Photographer. The beginning was going well until Joseph got upset that four ciphers had been decoded by the time he chaired Helena." Clarity explained as he took a seat on his bed, next to Hound's.

"New survivor? There was a new survivor?" Spring Hand asked as he tilted his head.

"Yeah." Clarity continued. "He seemed to be the Seer's brother as both of them look similar to me. Both have an owl and an eye covering..... " Clarity rubbed his chin as he thought.

"Interesting. I'm excited to meet him!" Spring Hand said with food in his mouth. He had been spoiled rotten by all of his older brothers as he was the sunshine of the family. Always bringing smile to those around him.

"Spring Hand, please finish chewing before you speak. It's bad manner and you'll choke too." Hound said while browsing through a book. Hound acted like the mom to the Subedar boys as he was the oldest of the Subedar family. Their dad and mom died in an accident and Spring Hand was too young to understand what dying means. He participated in the game too, but he simply saw it as a game. Perhaps it was only better for his own good as he's too innocent to be exposed to the evils of this world. To this day, all the Subedar told Spring Hand that "their dad and mom is in heaven and they're playing a 'game' to earn money so they can have their own place".

"Well, wake me up when it's dinner time. I'm exhausted from the match." Clarity said as he laid on his side, facing away from his brothers.

"Sure thing." Came Hound's reply.

And just like that, Clarity passed out in a dreamless sleep.

Author's note:
Hey guys! Thank you for reading! I'm so glad that you've made it to the end! I know, this is possibly the longest chapter I've wrote in my entire life and it's already 2,200 words! XD. Yeah, and I've written all of this on my mobile too so it's a big achievement okay? Don't make fun of me with that XD. I hope you guys like this story and the next chapter is on the way! Thank you again for reading!!!!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 107K 42
"Why the fuck you let him touch you!!!"he growled while punching the wall behind me 'I am so scared right now what if he hit me like my father did to...
1.2M 64.1K 59
𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞〢𝐁𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 〈𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 1〉 𝑶𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
1.4M 34K 46
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
672K 33.9K 28
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ~ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝟐 Sara Zafar, once a vibrant, effervescent spirit, embarks on a new chapter of her life in New Y...