The Dawn Is On Us

By qanwritesalot

She was like a butterfly in spring. Flying from one garden to the next with her face pulled in a bright smile... More

COPYRIGHT
C H A R A C T E R S
C H A P T E R 0 1 | T R A N S L A T E D |
C H A P T E R 0 2 | T R A N S L A T E D |
C H A P T E R 0 3 | T R A N S L A T E D |
C H A P T E R 0 4 | T R A N S L A T E D |
C H A P T E R 0 5 | T R A N S L A T E D |
C H A P T E R 0 6 |T R A N S L A T E D |
C H A P T E R 0 7 | T R A N S L A T E D |
C H A P T E R 0 8 | T R A N S L A T E D |
C H A P T E R 0 9 | T R A N S L A T E D |
C H A P T E R 1 0
C H A P T E R 1 1
C H A P T E R 1 2
C H A P T E R 1 3
C H A P T E R 1 4
C H A P T E R 1 5
C H A P T E R 1 6
C H A P T E R 1 7
C H A P T E R 1 8
C H A P T E R 1 9
C H A P T E R 2 0
C H A P T E R 2 1
C H A P T E R 2 3
C H A P T E R 2 4
C H A P T E R 2 5
C H A P T E R 2 6
C H A P T E R 2 7
C H A P T E R 2 8
C H A P T E R 2 9
C H A P T E R 3 0
C H A P T E R 3 1
C H A P T E R 3 2
C H A P T E R 3 3
C H A P T E R 3 4
C H A P T E R 3 5
C H A P T E R 3 6
C H A P T E R 3 7
C H A P T E R 3 8
C H A P T E R 3 9
C H A P T E R 4 0
C H A P T E R 4 1
C H A P T E R 4 2
C H A P T E R 4 3
C H A P T E R 4 4
C H A P T E R 4 5
C H A P T E R 4 6
C H A P T E R 4 7
C H A P T E R 4 8
C H A P T E R 4 9
C H A P T E R 5 0
C H A P T E R 5 1
C H A P T E R 5 2
C H A P T E R 5 3
E P I L O G U E
B O N U S C H A P T E R
F I N A L W O R D S
A QUEEN'S TOUCH & SOME GLITTER

C H A P T E R 2 2

5.8K 503 141
By qanwritesalot

F E W H O U R S A G O
_

_________________________

M U S T A F A ' S wheel chair rolled towards the gate of the brides home effortlessly. The gravel underneath the thin wheels getting crunched under the pressure, producing an aesthetically pleasing sound. Raees rolled the reason of his mobility to stand infront of the street. All of the waiting for the groom to step out of his car.

The pleasant weather was an unexpected surprise. A stark contrast to the havoc that had been Lahore's weather for the past few days. Instead of the heavy thicket of fog that hovered over the city and made everything turn grey, the sun was out. Brightly shining on the horizon, warming everyones blood. Although the chill was still in the air, it was bearable due to the warmth of the Solar Systems natural heater.

The groom's train arrived at the start of the street. All accumulating and planning their entrance. In the front, there would be Rizwan with his father. Behind them Raees and Mustafa would follow. The narrow street only allowed for two people to walk shoulder to shoulder, so it meant a long procession would follow like little children going on a school trip.

"Mustafa aur Raees idhr aao, aakar tasweer khinchwao!" Raees' mother called them over.
"Acha ammi," Raees sighed.
His overly enthusiastic mother would not let a minute pass without taking their pictures.
"MashAllah! Kitnay haseen lag rahay hain meray betay," Alia kissed each of their cheeks, gushing over their handsome looks.
"Sab aap keh piyaar ka kamal hai!" Mustafa smiled at her cheekily.
"Bari methi methi laga raha hai!" She pulled his cheeks.

They were soon called to stand in lines as the groom had finally arrived. Rizwan looked dashing, as the sunlight fell on his clothes, creating a halo around him.
"Looking dashing man," Mustafa smiled at him.
To Mustafa, Rizwan was one of the most handsome grooms he had seen. It could be owed to the fact that he had visited but a handful weddings and he was high-key biased.
"Mustafa aaj tou tou bhi kisi sai kam nahin lag raha," Rizwan winked.
Giving him a hand shake, he hugged Raees as they stood together for some pictures. Truly forming a sight for sore eyes.

They had hired a band for playing the baja and dhol to announce their arrival. No sooner had the received the signal from Rehman that they began to play loudly. Moving slowly infront of them all and playing all sorts of tunes. The loud music awakened the residents of the streets, as the little children ran towards Hoor's home to inform of the arrival. Giving her parents enough time to get ready for welcoming them.

"Chalo chalo sab ladkiyun aakar gulab ki plate pakar lo. Dulhay bhai par dalni hain sab nai!" Jahan-ara ordered the young girls who were their neighbours.
The girls excitedly began distributing the petals, ready to throw them on the man that had come to take their sister. It was a well loved tradition and young women could absolutely not live without it. This part of the welcome was as important as the girls dancing on the mehndi to well choreographed dances.

"Ali phul keh haar do mujhe aur apnay baap ko. Daigain check kar lena. Kisi bhi cheez ki kami nahin honi chahiye. Aur ja ja kar moulvi sahab ko bhi dekh le!" Jahan-ara shouted a list of orders to her only son.
Her old bones were excited to welcome her daughter's in-law's and she wanted nothing to go wrong. She had raised her daughter for this day. And it had come too soon. She was holding onto her tears, barely. Knowing that when she saw her daughter, her Hoor, step out of that door under the shadow of the Holy Quran, nothing would stop her from breaking down.

Ali headed out to do all the tasks that he had been assigned. Trying to suppress the feelings of resentment that were inside his heart. He knew he should be happy for his sister however, he was human and his mind kept nagging him. Making him feel as if their parents could have spent this money to pay off the debt. Or they could have asked Rizwan's family to pay off. Hell he was ready for them to pay it off with the haq meher that had been decided. But his parents would not budge from their decision of paying it off.

Ali touched his pockets. Feeling for the gold bracelet that he had picked up from Hoor's bedroom. He would sell it. He was sure his sister would not even notice its absence.

No sooner had Ali left the home to get the officiant that the grooms family reached their doorway. The loud sound of the music, caused anxiety to run through Jahan-ara and Jamal. As the rushed to their main door. Jahan-ara and Jamal were both wearing beige coloured clothing. Holding necklaces made of roses.
"Aap Rehman sahab ko dalna. Mein humaray damad ko dalun gi," Jahan-ara whispered in his ears.
"Jaisa aap kahein begum," Jamal replied.
They were both extremely happy and could not wait to welcome their new family.

No sooner had Rizwan stepped foot in the home, he was greeted with a shower of roses. The petals falling on them all, grazing his skin softly. Making him feel it was all coming true. He greeted Jahan-ara and Jamal. As they made him and his father wear necklaces and lead them to their seats. They had set up a raised platform for him to sit on. And what surprised him was the slanted wooden plank. That had been installed for Mustafa.

Seeing their concern for his best friend, tears came to his eyes. The bitter feeling returning to his heart once again. These were precious people and here he was, betraying them. He prayed for forgiveness, opening his eyes, he smiled at them. He sat on the well cushioned seats, smiling at everyone as the came to meet him.

"MashAllah bohat haseen lag rahay ho. Allah nazar-e-bad sai bachai!" Jahan-ara took his balai.
Around half an hour was spent in useless idle talk as they awaited the arrival of Ali and the maulvi. He was on the edge of his seat. Waiting for Rumaisa to arrive. He had still not had any form of contact with her. He had no idea what they would do. When she came - if she came - he did not know would it be too late by then and he would have married Hoor.

Rizwan had no valid reason to say "no" while he was questioned. He needed a plan. But it was impossible to come up with something so fast. As his vision cleared, the mist washing away, he saw Ali with the maulvi. His hands holding the paper that would seal his, Hoor's and Rumi's fate together.

"Assalamualikum maulvi sahab," Rizwan greeted.
"Waalikumassalam! Khush raho," the man with wizened eyes, sat down. Passing him a smile.
"Ji phir maulvi sahab Bismillah karein," Rehman gave him the signal to proceed.
He had already been provided with all the information of the bride, groom and the witnesses.
"Jaisa aap theek samjhein," the man then turned to him, "dulhay mian, abhi bhi waqt hai, bhaagna hai tou bhaag jao. Iskay baad bachi ko dukh denay ka haq nahin ho ga!"
It seemed as if he knew of the malign that lived inside his heart. Gulping his saliva he gave them the green light.

At first the maulvi asked him the first three kalimas. And then proceeded to recite a prayer. Praying for the people's wellbeing. Just like that, thirty minutes had gone by. And finally came the golden question.
"Kia aap Rizwan bin-"
"RUK JAIYE! YEH NIKKAH NAHIN HO SAKTA!" Rumaisa interrupted.
"Ladki yeh kia bakwas kar rahi ho?" Jahan-ara shouted at her.

"Dekhein aunty, aap ko dukh ho ga. Mujhe bhi hai. Mein nahin jaanti thi Mustafa bhai aisi ghatiya harkat karein gai!" She raised her fingers towards Mustafa, who was sitting next to Rizwan on the stage.
"Mein?" Mustafa was dumbfounded.
"Haan aap. Aunty Mustafa bhai meray taya keh betay hain. Aur agar yeh sach aapko na batay tou saari zindagi pachtaun gi!" She faked tears in her eyes.

"Kuch bolo bhi. Yeh naik kaam mein rukawat kyun daali?" The maulvi inquired.
"Maulvi sahab, Mustafa bhai ka aur dulhan ka chakkar chal raha hai!"
"HOSH MEIN HO?"
"AQAL KA DAMAN PAKRO!"
"GHATIYA JHUT!"
Everyone shouted at her. But Rumaisa stuck to her claims.

The maulvi remained silent. Letting everyone quite down before he gave his opinion.
"Agar yeh kaha hai. Koi waja ho gi. Koi saboot hai?" He raised his brows in the direction of Rumi.
"Ji. Yeh dekhein," she passed over a brown envelope.
The man passed it to Jamal, asking him to see the contents. Inside, was a picture of Mustafa holding Hoor's wrists as she bent down to eye level. There was another, where she was sitting with him at a restaurant all alone.

"Yeh-yeh mein nahin manta!" Jamal tried to refuse the claims.
"Kia nahin mantay? Saboot samnay hai. Yeh Nikkah nahin ho ga!" Rehman furiously shouted.
"Kia matlab?" Jahan-ara was still shocked.
"Beti shehar mein mun marti phiray gi tou koi shareef khandan nahin apnai gai! Shukriya Rumi bacha liya inse!"

Rehman grabbed Rizwan's arm, leading him out of the home.
"Hai mein lut gai! Mein barbad ho gai! Yeh dekhnay sai pehlay mar kyun na gai?" Jahan-ara shrieked.
"Kon usko biwi banai ga?" Jahan-ara proceeded to shout out loud.

"Maulvi sahab, mein shaadi karun ga Hoor sai," Mustafa turned to the maulvi.
Giving him a smile. He knew that both he and Hoor were innocent, he had wished to marry her, but not like this. However, he knew it was the only way her honour would be protected. So he stepped up. His parents had taught him to be responsible. And he was ready to have the responsibility of a woman whom society would now look at with poisonous eyes.

●●●●¤¤●●●●

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 2.9K 16
Ava Stronghold is the adopted daughter of Steven and Josie Stronghold and adopted sister of Will with the ability to shift into a dragon. When she st...
2.8M 179K 67
Winner of the 'Readers Choice Award' in Historical Fiction. Winner of the 'Readers Choice Award' in Spiritual Category. Winner of Best Muslim Reader...
55.6K 901 20
When Brooklyn gets invited to attend her brother, Doug's, bachelor party in Sin City, she thought it would be fun and nothing would go wrong. Well, t...
203K 8.9K 57
Nawal Arshad- A pampered girl, loved by everyone around her. She dreams of fairytales before bringing them into words but when her own life turns out...