IMMUNITY

By Abareye

๐—ฆ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—ข๐—ก ๐Ÿญ ๐—ฆ๐—จ๐— ๐— ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ฌ: - ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› you're too self-aware to the world around you that you are... More

s1:ep1โ†’ the curse of (y/n)
s1:ep2โ†’ woes and foes
s1:ep3โ†’ greatest weakness: irritation
s1:ep4โ†’discoveries
s1:ep5โ†’the gospel
s1:ep6โ†’(part i) shady scheme
s1:ep7โ†’(part ii) shady scheme
s1:ep8โ†’phantom problem
s1:ep9โ†’(part i) a heavy wallet fills an empty heart
s1:ep10โ†’(part ii) a heavy wallet fills an empty heart
s1:ep11โ†’kusuo's rationally irrational day
s1:ep12โ†’time to change family names
s1:ep14โ†’(part ii) the hard-knock life of a wannabe maid
s1:ep15โ†’there's more than one way to skin a cat
s1:ep16โ†’rainy days, bitchy ways.
s1:ep17โ†’the menacing spam mail
s1:ep18โ†’S.A.D. stalkers
s1:ep19โ†’halloween luck
s1:ep20โ†’merry crisis!
s1:ep21โ†’(part i) occult activities gone wrong
s1:ep22โ†’(part ii) occult activities gone wrong
s1:ep23โ†’there's oxytocin in the air and it's killing me
s1:ep24โ†’highway to hell
s1:ep25โ†’I only eat star-shaped sand
s1:ep26โ†’obligatory beach episode
FICLETโ†’afternoon nap
s1:ep27โ†’bring a knife to a gunfight
s1:ep28โ†’mom, why
The yearly reset

s1:ep13โ†’(part i) the hard-knock life of a wannabe maid

6K 353 252
By Abareye

a/n: got myself distracted by harvest town. Here's a 3.4k word chapter as an apology.

╭─────────────────╮
ᵉᵖⁱˢᵒᵈᵉ ¹³
❝𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙃𝘼𝙍𝘿-𝙆𝙉𝙊𝘾𝙆 𝙇𝙄𝙁𝙀 𝙊𝙁 𝘼

𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙉𝘼𝘽𝙀 𝙈𝘼𝙄𝘿 (𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙞)❞
╰─────────────────╯

"I'm not following the family tradition anymore."

"What!?" Your father spat his coffee all over your uniform and violently let out a series of coughs. "You're lucky you only told this to me  -- our relatives wouldn't approve of your choice, y'know?" you solemnly nodded your coffee-spitten head and uttered a small 'I know'.

The (l/n) family.

Immorality runs in their veins, and shamelessness is in their nature. It's impossible to break the chain of fraudulence and quackery.

But you were willing to try. Keyword: try.

"Curiouser and curiouser, what made you change your mind?" he asked, leaning forward. The porcelain mug he once held laid neglected on his left.

"I don't know...After I heard Mrs. Saiki's situation about the whole salesman thing," you paused, scratching your head in pure embarrassment, "I just -- I felt bad, okay?" you huffed out.

When you made the promise of kicking swindling asses, it was out of impulse. You made yourself sound like a hypocrite.

You fiddled with the towel and gently dabbed it on your face, cleaning off the caffeine stain.

"You sound just like your mom." His cooing made you stop and glare at him. "That lil' minx was a big tsundere with a heart of gold." He gave you a grin. "It's cute."

You scoffed, "I don't know what she found in you. You're a scum -- take full offense, pops."

"That's what your mother told me and proceeded to put me in my place," he leaned on his palm and dreamily sighed. The action made you look at him, disgusted.

"Masochist," you spat, walking away to head to your room.

"Can't help it, runs in the family!" He chortled, his lively personality never faltered even after your 'disgraceful' declaration of basically disowning yourself from the (l/n) family. You liked that about him; he's an open-minded man, unlike other adults his age.

"Oi, kiddo," he softly called out before you were out of earshot. You paused, firmly planting your feet on the creaky stairs. "Whatever you're planning to do, I'm always by your side, alright?"

There are times your papa can be wholesome and tender. You'll never grow accustomed to his sudden bursts of sincerity. Times like these were rare.

"Stop being genuine, it's creepy."

"Why you -- !"

You ignored him, attempting to hide the smile that's forcing its way to your lips. Hopefully, your journey to 'normalcy' and 'righteousness' goes down smoothly. You mentally prepared for what you're signing up for; a slave to the society.

If I want to change, I'll need to stop being shady and earn money fair and square, you furrowed your eyebrows as you played with the straps of your bag. You noticed that you're familiar with almost all of the students in PK academy; you awkwardly nodded at some of them when they waved at you. You can only blame the Teruhashi scheme for that.

A part-time job in a decent café, maybe?

Serving at a café is probably the most easiest job you can think of, second to working behind a cash register at a convenience store. In addition, a coffee house has more class and you know someone who works in one. Connections are important.

Just as you were about to take a sit on your assigned desk, you were immediately greeted by a smiling Teruhashi, her shining aura seems to be brighter than usual.

"Good morning! You look tired, did you get enough sleep last night?" Teruhashi chirped, cutely tilting her head. You don't know if it's just you, but the way she greets you sounds a little bit desperate. You kind of felt bad for giving her a hard time to converse with you.

"No, looking at you made me tired," you stated, squinting your eyes just to see her face behind the extremely blinding aureole.

"Eh!? What do you mean..?" She paled. No one in their goddamn mind finds Teruhashi to be an annoyance. At least, that's what she thinks.

"Darling, you're glowing," you told her, quoting a song you've been listening to for weeks on repeat. It was a tasteful addiction. "Do I need to elaborate?" You quirked a brow when you received no reply. Staring up at the fluorescent tubes of the classroom, you pondered for your explanation.

I needed to get it out of my system, anyway, you closed your eyes, if she thinks I'm a weirdo after this, then so be it. Determined, you were about to give Teruhashi a sneak peek of the cursed life you've been living ever since you were ( nonconsensually ) brought to life.

"Wherever you go, there's always this golden outline on you; you're the personification of the densest hypergiant that is encircled by billions of insignificant stars -- in the sea of poppies, you're the tallest one," you said, "You never fail to catch my attention every damn time." You almost got distracted by the fact that pink petals gracefully fell and encompassed the two of you and a gust of wind went past your figure even though the room was air-conditioned.

Kusuo, who was seated right in front of you, slightly grimaced and cringed at your phrasing. The manner in which you state it seems like you were requesting to wed the person you've been courting for 10 years.

You snapped back out of your confused daze. Scratching your chin, you nonchalantly said, "You must be deity." You nodded to yourself, convinced by your conclusion. "Everything in this universe is a lie if you're not," you pointed out, but Teruhashi seems to be taking your explanation on what you see everyday as an admission for your well-hidden feelings.

Was that a confession!? A compliment!? Were they just being a tsundere this whole time!?

She panicked as the rosiness began rising up her pale face. She'd typically take praises with a cutesy giggle and a smile, yet when it was you who articulated it -- the same classmate who immediately takes down all her attempts to be friendly -- will definitely catch her off guard. To top all that off with a confident love confession in front of her classmates, the poor girl won't be making out alive after that whiplash.

OH GOD, WHAT DO I DO, she mentally yelled, alarmed by the situation you've cornered her into.

"Uh...uh..!" Teruhashi stuttered, her internal organs failed to function for a millisecond. "I'll think about it!" she squeaked, incapable of looking at you without flinching. Flustered and embarrassed, she flew out of the classroom as she shrouds her ruddy face behind petite hands.

"Huh? Think about what?" you asked to no one in particular. Unbeknownst to you, all the boys who heard the whole ordeal were mentally burning you at a stake. Kusuo only shook his head at your obliviousness.

"HAAAAA?! (y/n), what the crap was that!?" Kaidou yelled in a high-pitched tone, breaking your eardrums in the process. He violently shook your shoulders for an answer only to be met by your confused expression.

"Huh, what did I do?"

Nendou ( as well as Kuboyasu ), who was ominously standing right behind you, playfully and painfully hits your back, causing you choke on your spit. "You got some balls, you runt!" The scarred teen noisily laughed as he continuously ruffled your hair. The fuss your friends were causing as well as the seething glares you were feeling behind your back only perplexed you even further.

Uncomfortable, you decided to focus on your current task: Find employment, get underpaid and participate in child labor.

Your plan is a bit unorthodox and not your style but it's definitely better than fraud, right?

Right?

"Mera," you called out to the redhead, you raised a brow when she flinched the second you mentioned her name. "I need to ask you for something." You've only talked to Mera twice and it's a surprise that you're not as close as you were with the pink haired psychic -- who you literally have nothing in common with, whereas both you and Mera have a thing for money, but for different reasons.

"Is it money? Please, I have nothing to give!" She squeezed her eyes shut and her hands quickly formed a gesture of prayer. "I'll lick your shoe for you! Just don't take my money!" she cried, crumbling to the ground, on her knees.

Well, that answers your question why you're not friends.

"Wh -- No! Since when did I ever do that?" You nervously laughed, scratching your head. You don't know if you were hearing things but you heard someone utter 'every day'.

"...Anyway, I heard you work at a café?"

.

.

"U-um, th-th-thi -- " Mera wildly stuttered while looking at the floor, trying to introduce you to the beige-haired manager of Café Mazoku ( an interesting choice of a name, you noted ). You don't know if Mera's going to affect your chances of getting hired by the man, but you can already feel the rejection crawling up your spine by the way the young adult impatiently looks at the two of you.

An intervention is clearly needed.

"Hello! I am (l/n)(y/n), a second year student in PK academy," you introduced and bowed ( in truth, you only nodded your head as if the older man was an old pal ). "I heard you were hiring?" you asked, uncertain. The manager only let out a hum and blatantly inspected your figure.

"Average," he uttered, making you peer your eyes.

"I am Mizuki Akane," he briefly introduced himself, the roughness of his voice caught you off guard, "How desperate are you for the job?" Okay, that's shadier than what your papa's selling. You observed him for any more weird behavior but found nothing.

You hesitated, thinning your lips. "Is that question really necessary for hiring in cafés?"

"A maid café, actually," he corrected you, quickly adjusting his red teashade glasses. "What I need is the best of the best, that's why I asked you."

"Alright, I can do tha -- wait, what?" You did a double take, knitting your eyebrows. "I think I heard you wrong, can you say it again? This is a what?"

"Café Mazoku is a maid café," Mr. Mizuki repeated, ignoring the volume of your voice as if he's used to the attitude. "You can't leave now, by the way. You already signed the contract."

"Ha? I don't remember signing shit," you hissed.

"Look at your dominant hand," he calmly requested, slightly tilting his head. The reflection of the light in his glasses shrouded his round eyes.

Perplexed, you briefly locked your eyes to the vermillion pen you're unknowingly holding. "What the hell!?" You panicked. In a cold sweat, you whipped your head towards Mizuki, who was now holding up a crisp sheet of paper with, unmistakably, your signature on the bottom right corner.

You felt like you just sold your soul to the devil.

"How did you do that, you demon!?"

His thin lips twitched into a smile, almost a sneer. "Ah, that brings back memories. You really are that bastard's kid."

"Pardon?" Your eyebrow twitched. Taking in his figure clad in vermillion, he does look like someone familiar to you; Akane Mizuki is probably in one of your father's old photos.

"Kenji. Kenji (l/n) is your father, is it not?" He asked, raising a thin brow. You cautiously nodded your head, clarifying that you are indeed the 'bastard's kid'. He definitely looks like one of your father's victims.

"I see. I will meet you tomorrow after your classes to check on your performance." He then sighed, walking away as he wiped his thin rimmed glasses. "(l/n)s are still a pain even to this day," he quietly muttered, leaving you and Mera alone.

You're the one who forced me to work here, you glowered. Despite that, you already accepted the job and took it as challenge. Besides, he's one of the 'nice' adults who doesn't scold you about your impudent behavior, maybe you'll be able to tolerate this hell of an establishment.

You turned to the girl who has been quiet ever since you opened your mouth. "Earlier, you look like you were held at gunpoint, what's up with that?" You lightly laughed, tilting your head to occupy Mera's vision. The action made the bespectacled redhead flinch and shudder in fear.

"Don't take my money please! I'm begging you!" Mera sobbed and kneeled on the floor. A few customers looks at the two of you weirdly but you awkwardly waved them off.

The following day, you made a beeline for Saiki's desk, desperately in need of a favor. There's no way in hell you're going to let those clingy bunch to follow you to your new work environment. You truly don't have any desire to see their reactions, particularly the scarred teen with the piss yellow mohawk.

"Kusuo, I need you to distract your -- our friends." You gave him a tight-lipped smile. He peered his eyes, trying to read your definitely-not-suspicious-smile.

"Why?"

"Because I don't want them to follow me after school," you hissed, leaning closer to him so that no one can overhear. "Come on, I won't bother you for like, a day."

"Why..?"

"Please?" You pleaded, gritting your teeth.

The boy furrowed his brows, curious and annoyed. Why would you be so hellbent on not getting found out? Did you form a drug cartel? Maybe you're planning on continuing to find that 'family heirloom' that your dead relatives hid. You were an enigma, he can't easily predict all your schemes.

After a long amount of silence, he discreetly placed a pinky near your hand that's currently occupying his desk. Saiki blinked, trying to sift through your jumbled up thoughts.

A café?

It was vague, but he already feels bad to the people who were about to get involved with you.

"I'll think about it."

Unfortunately, luck wasn't on your side.

"Huh? Why's (y/n) acting all suspicious?" Kaidou pointed out, spotting you on sidewalk, in the midst of frantically looking around as you held your schoolbag tight against your chest. You look like you were about to sell someone the goods and didn't want to get caught.

"Oh, you're right," Nendou muttered, "Hey, buddy!" he called out, jogging his way towards you, leaving behind Kaidou and the others. You yelped once you heard the voice you were dreading to hear. "You remember the Oden stand you recommended? Guess what happened." You momentarily looked at Saiki in betrayal, yet all he gave you was a nonchalant shrug.

"W-what?" You cautiously glanced up to his scarred face.

"I got food poisoning!" You blanched and he proceeded to let out a boisterous laugh, weirding you out. "I was foaming and crap!" You silently hummed in reply, waiting for him to calm down.

He whistled, wiping off a tear. "Man, recommend me some more! Do you know a good place?"

"You should probably report that. Also, no," you apprehensively glanced at your phone to check the time, "I -- uh, need to go, I'm already late." Silence ensued in your group of friends and your eyes nervously darts around, overthinking whether they already found out or got a sliver of an idea.

"You got a date?" Kuboyasu's gruff voice cuts through the silence, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Don't tell me..." He trailed off, giving you a dark look, "Is it with Teruhashi?" The unexpected claim made you looked at him, perplexed. That was the last thing you expected to hear from them.

"The hell? Why would I go on a date with Teruhashi?" Ever since you've 'decently' talked to the girl, everyone's been teasing you -- if you consider the multiple pairs of eyes glaring holes at the back of your head and the failed attempt of the Kokomins to kidnap you as 'teasing'.

Everyone, except the stoic pinkette, sighed in relief at your question. "Are you guys having guests?" Kaidou queried, tilting his head. You hesitated, feeling a bit guilty for lying.

"...Yeah, something like that." You awkwardly laughed out loud, slowly turning away from them.

"Oh! That reminds me, I wanna see what your house looks like, let's go there now!" Nendou enthusiastically butts in, playfully pushing you with a heavy hand. You started to sweat bullets at the request. You looked at Saiki as a desperate plea to get them off your back; your eye twitched when the inborn psychic raised a brow, feigning innocence.

Fuck it.

"Eh!? (y/n), where are you going!?" Kaidou exclaimed as he watched dart away from them.

"Away!" you hollered, taking a sharp turn to lose the teenagers. It was successful, thankfully. ( You were especially thankful that Nendou didn't follow you. You'll never be able to outrun that gorilla of a man )

Opening the pristine glass doors of Café Mazoku, you tried to catch your breath. The soft chime of the bell notified Akane that a new soul has entered the coffee establishment. His welcoming smile instantaneously turned into a small frown once he saw who just walked in.

"You're late by two minutes."

"Can't blame me, this place's too far away." You tiredly shrugged, leisurely walking closer to the man in red uniform. "At least I'm not late by three minutes, amiright?" You slyly grinned, causing Mr. Mizuki to sigh.

"You're definitely a carbon copy of that man," he grumbled, stepping inside the staff room to get God knows what. You inspected the coffee house in curiosity since you were too focused on Mera's train wreck of an introduction. The place has good lighting and a fascinating choice of a stylistic theme, however there's not a single customer to be seen right now.

"Here, I reckon that it's to your size," he said, holding the uniform out in display. Your eyes bulged at the sight.

"Uh, why?" you nervously asked, already envisioning yourself in the outfit that was too cute for you. "Don't you guys have any pants?" Akane gave you an impatient look, shoving the uniform in your arms.

"I think you have forgotten that this is a maid café. It requires maid costumes," he said, forcibly drilling the word 'maid' into your money ridden brain. "Unfortunately for you, we don't own uniforms that goes along with pants." He then shoved you into the locker room and shuts you in it.

"You better be out in at least 5 minutes," Akane echoed through the door. Grumbling, you looked around the garment for a zipper or anything. The uniform's very detailed with all the shiny buttons and glossy silk strips; a sign that you should not leave a scratch on it yet, the uniform was convoluted to such an extent that you're on the verge of tearing it into shreds. After a series of curses, you managed to get into the uniform and reluctantly left the locker room with a scowl on your face.

"Surprisingly fitting." Akane's lips twitched into a vague smile as he nodded in approval, finding it amusing. "Maybe I should hire other genders to wear maid outfits for variety."

"Is this a fantasy of yours, old man?" you snapped back, grumpily crossing your arms.

"No, this maid business was forced upon me," he stated, gritting his teeth, "Thanks to your egotistical maniac of a fa -- " A chime echoed through the empty café, immediately causing Mr. Mizuki to let out a defeated sigh.

"All right, you first customer is here, be sure to keep a smile on." Akane paused, absentmindedly pushing his glasses up. "You do know how to greet the customers in a maid café, right?" he said, raising a brow.

"Of course! Just say the word 'master' and kiss up their ass!" you confidently stated, already on your way to greet the poor person you're about to welcome in.

"..Good luck, then," he uttered. It was definitely not towards you.

Walking towards the entrance with a skip in your steps, you half-heartedly bowed to your first ever customer.

"Hello, master! Welcome to the -- what the fuck?!" you exclaimed once your eyes caught the familiar hue of the customer's hair.

The dull violet eyes behind green-tinted glasses stared right back at you.

—𝙏𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙪𝙚𝙙

EXTRA

If I were to give MC's family
name, It would be Kanemoto.
( one who lives near gold )

MC's father's name is Kenji
( intelligent second son )

For their mother's maiden
name, it would be Kuromiya.
( black shrine )

I think it would be nice
if I were to make a spinoff
of how they met idk.

(also, Akane Mizuki just means

Great red, beautiful moon lmao)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

186K 6.9K 31
Your grandmother had made some enemies in her time, leaving you with a powerful responsibility. Now the mark of death stains your face and it's up to...
13.3K 510 27
Just a typical new tranfer at PK academy. A beauty that might even top Teruhashi's has caught the psychics attention. A person that a few of his ps...
143K 5.4K 25
Saiki Kusuo is a psychic who just wants to seem like a normal teen, but when Kaidou Shun, a boy with a hero complex, starts to like him , Saiki wants...
318K 10.8K 25
โ€น๐Ÿน โ”โ” โ ๐—ฌ๐—ข๐—จ'๐—ฅ๐—˜ ๐— ๐—ฌ ๐—ช๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—Ÿ๐——, ๐—ฆ๐—”๐—–๐—›๐—œ ๐—ž๐—จ๐—ฆ๐—จ๐—ข. โž 001. ๏น’ ๐…๐‹๐ˆ๐๐๐„๐ƒ๏น— โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค ๐ฃ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐š cliche romance story in which she fell fi...