The Plague Doctor's Daughter

By rskovach

Commoner Giovanna teams up with nobleman Matteo to save a friend from an arranged marriage, but they stumble... More

Prologue
1. Giovanna
2. Giovanna
3. Giovanna
4. Matteo
5. Matteo
6. Nicco
7. Nicco
8. Nicco
9. Giovanna
10. Giovanna
11. Matteo
12. Matteo
13. Giacomo
14. Giovanna
15. Giovanna
16. Nicco
17. Matteo
18. Giovanna
19. Giacomo
20. Nicco
21. Matteo
22. Matteo
23. Giovanna
24. Giovanna
25. Giovanna
26. Nicco
27. Matteo
28. Matteo
29. Giovanna
30. Giovanna
31. Giacomo
33. Giovanna
34. Giovanna
35. Giovanna
36. Matteo
37. Nicco
38. Nicco
Epilogue

32. Matteo

1K 150 25
By rskovach

Matteo slipped on his doublet, adjusting the sleeves at the wrists to reveal the white cuff of his shirt. The color of mustard seeds, the snug jacket he'd chosen reflected his current bright mood on what promised to be another dreary day.

"Why did you reconsider, if you don't mind me asking?" Across the room, the ethereal beauty leaned on one elbow as she sleepily beamed at him from the comfort of his bed. Her soft skin the hue of skimmed milk and her loose hair a cascade of brown waves, she rivaled any fine likeness of a Borgia or Medici whether from Sanzio or another esteemed master.

"Ah, you are awake," he said as he finished dressing, smoothing the top's short waist with a pull. Satisfied with the results, he strode across the room and sat at Giovanna's side, causing the mattress to sink under his weight. "But what is it exactly that I have reconsidered?"

She cast her gaze downward and wet her lips with her tongue. "You had indicated your distaste for having to kiss me yesterday morning, and yet last night, you had no qualms in doing so," she whispered.

Matteo's heart ached, hearing now that his diversion during Don Delfini's attack had caused her undue pain. "How do you know I wasn't secretly disgusted last night, as well?" he asked, hoping she'd sense the levity in his tone and grant him forgiveness.

Her eyes met his and the smile slowly spread back across her shapely mouth. "If that were true, you should join a troupe of commedia dell'arte players for you are the best actor that I have ever seen," she teased, playfully poking him in the chest.

With a sigh of relief, Matteo leaned in and kissed her. If at all possible, her touch ignited a fire inside him even greater than the one that had burned within for most of the night. Giovanna also didn't seem to mind, pulling him down with her as she submitted to his advances.

"In all honesty," he said in the brief seconds when he came up for air. "I have dreamed about the prospect of tasting your tender lips since earlier in the week when you hovered over my convalescing state in the room next door."

She giggled. "Given that you had spent several hours vomiting prior to my attention, I am thankful that you did not immediately try to make good on that wish."

He could not fault her for the clever observation, and Matteo also laughed before giving her a final peck on the tip of her nose. "I suppose that once again, you are wholly correct," he said as he reluctantly stood. "And while I would like nothing more than to climb back into bed next to you, there is an urgent need for me to visit the prison. As you surely know."

Giovanna's expression turned serious in confirmation, and she hugged the indigo dyed blankets to her chest as she sat up. "You will check on Stefano?" she asked quietly.

He nodded. The task was repulsive, but the threat his new lover's husband posed had to be eliminated one way or another. "Yes. And if your plan has worked, then it will be a swift visit. But if it has not, then I will make sure that he does not go to your father's house. Instead, I will send word to you at once for where to meet him. I'll rent a room on the other side of the islands for you if I must."

She nodded. "Thank you. If you can just tell me where my dress—"

"You'll find everything behind the screen," he answered as her eyes searched the now empty ground where their clothes had been discarded the night before.

Pretending to busy himself with his sword belt, Matteo sneaked peeks at Giovanna as she tiptoed barefoot across the rug in just a loose, linen shift. She disappeared behind the dressing screen, but quickly poked her head back out.

"What is this?" she asked, holding part of the garment he'd left for her. The cream and pale blue bodice was paired with a similarly colored skirt and would have certainly delighted any maiden. Matteo was therefore taken aback at her less than enthusiastic reaction at the find.

"It's brand new. Put it on. It is yours," he said with an encouraging nod.

Giovanna's demeanor didn't soften at the offer; if anything, her scowl intensified. "This was hers, was it not? A token for the girl you were to marry that she never got to wear?" Her questions were pointed, but her voice was less sure, quivering as she emerged from behind the screen with the pieces in her trembling grip.

Matteo took a small step backward. "Yes, but the tailor's apprentice . . . he delivered the finished garment only after Francesca had no use for it. You appear to be her size and . . . and I—"

Coming closer, Giovanna thrust the clothes against his chest.

"I cannot accept this. Return my dress so I can go," she said with a defiant pucker of her sweet lips.

He caught her hand before she could retreat. "But yours is dirty, and it smells like smoke. I will gladly have my laundress wash it for you. Until then—"

Giovanna forced herself loose from his hold. "I am quite capable of doing my own laundry," she said with a glint of her eyes. "So I will beg you, please return my dress at once."

With a sigh, he relented. "Of course," he said, going to a wardrobe and exchanging the elegant attire for the worn garments, still confused at the girl's objections. After handing the sooty pieces to Giovanna, he waited by the windows while fabric rustled from behind the screen.

Life down below in Piazza San Marco was stirring awake as the townspeople began their daily business. Women with baskets full of produce left the market, men in capes decorated with fancy sashes headed to the palace, and children followed by loyal dogs ran errands for coins.

"Will you meet me at the convent just before sundown?" Giovanna asked only when she reappeared, threading the bodice's eyelets.

It was Matteo's turn to furrow his brows. "Why would I do that?"

She looked up, the light from the window creating a bright path across her face. "I was hoping you'd have a new plan to get Ottavia out, but even if we're not clear on the details—"

"Absolutely not," he said, shaking his head as he closed the gap between them. Taking the ribbon from her fingers, he set to finish the task. "We are no closer to knowing what we are dealing with—including both Nicco's shadowy activities and the contents of his warehouse—and this is not the time to rush. I will consult with my father later today and perhaps also call on a few friends for assistance. I ask that you remain patient in the meantime."

Matteo finished and tied a neat bow, but Giovanna was hesitant to meet his gaze. Tipping her chin up with his finger, he saw that the tears had disappeared, but it had not been replaced with her earlier jubilance. Happy that at least she wasn't opposing his call for more consideration in her actions, he gently kissed her lips once more.

She didn't reciprocate.

"If I have offended you in any way, I am truly sorry," he said after he'd pulled away, fearing the need for an explanation regarding what had obviously led to this egregious misunderstanding. "My intentions were pure."

Giovanna cocked her head. "How so?"

"I know how uncomfortable the trip through our tunnels last night made you, so I wanted to avoid a similar upset. Wearing that dress would have more easily allowed me to take you through the main house without stirring undue questions."

"As if I belonged here?" Giovanna whispered, slowly drawing out each word as if speaking to a child.

"Well, yes I suppose," he said, ignoring the implied disdain. One contentious issue at a time was plenty. "The emergence of a gentlewoman through our front door would be less conspicuous to passers-by than . . . ahem, well . . . someone like you."

The muscles in Giovanna's jaw clenched and she nodded vigorously, the movement completely out of line with the reaction Matteo expected.

"I see," she muttered, spinning around and grabbing her cloak before he even realized what was happening. Only after she'd turned the key in the bedchambers lock and ran out did he follow.

"Giovanna! Wait! I didn't mean—"

It was too late. She'd sprinted through the sitting room and was already heading toward the grand staircase. Even as he bound after her, Matteo could only watch as she rushed down the marble risers, her shoes tapping with each harried step. With the entry door unmanned and inexplicably wide open, she didn't need to slow before stepping on a discarded piece of paper and charging out of the palazzo.

Only after he'd gotten to the bottom of the stairs and picked up the battered paper did Matteo realize that he was standing in the same, hastily wiped-up pool of blood that now stained the folded note with Giovanna's footprint. Worse yet, the message—written in an impeccable script, but punctured with a neat, yet blood-soaked cut—was unexpectedly personal.

D. Barozzi—Cease your meddling or you shall pay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 3.7K 72
"𝑾𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒔𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒘𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒘𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒖𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆." Everyone knew of Rapunzel. The golden-hair...
232K 9K 35
Book #1 of "The Four" book series spin-off (Read "The Four" book series first!) Warning: Mature (18+) content! "So then f*ck me like you hate me," I...
1.6M 1.9K 8
UNEDITED WATTPAD VERSION! (This is the arguably rubbish version, ye be warned.) Includes a sample of the published version as well *** Life would be...
3.3K 732 14
[𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫]: Join Elena and Jake on journey around Los Angeles no one has seen so far, where they battle personal demons and emerge as a reun...