CONFLICTED

By SIR__JAY

Wattpad featured✓ AmbassadorsNG reading list✓ CONFLICTED: Life is hard enough and for Christopher, it just g... More

•Prologue•
Chapter 1| Newbie
Chapter 2| Mysterious
Chapter 3| Happiness
Chapter 4| House party
Chapter 5| People change
Chapter 6| Anger issues
Chapter 7| PTSD
Chapter 8| Lovesick
Chapter 9| Contract
Chapter 10| Chemistry
Chapter 11| Exam week
Chapter 12| Ex
Chapter 13| Hypocrite
Chapter 14| Bet
Chapter 15| Crush
Chapter 16| Bad news
Chapter 17| Relay race
Chapter 18| Capiche
Chapter 19| Painting
Chapter 20| Ella's kiss
Chapter 21| Zombie
Chapter 22| Run
Chapter 23| Suspended
Chapter 24| BRT
Chapter 25| Valentine
Chapter 26| Suicide
Chapter 27| Mad Tracy
Chapter 28| Goosebumps
Chapter 29| Jerk
Chapter 30| Ride home
Chapter 31| First impression
Chapter 32| Tomboy
Chapter 33| Panic attack
Chapter 34| Sleepover
Chapter 35| Ice cream store
Chapter 36| Resolution
Chapter 37| T or D
Chapter 38| Disaster
Chapter 39| Hard to get
Chapter 40| Lavender
Chapter 41| Bonkers
Chapter 42| Revenge
Chapter 43| Snake plant
Chapter 44| Slytherin
Chapter 45| Home alone
Chapter 47| Jealous
Chapter 48| Wedding
Chapter 49| Friend zone
Chapter 50| Third wheel
Chapter 51| Bonhomie
Chapter 52| Fanboy
Chapter 53| Soulmate
Chapter 54| Second choice
Chapter 55| Confession
Chapter 56| Mob
Chapter 57| Letter
Chapter 58| Mikasa's crib
Chapter 59| Squirt
Chapter 60| Trust
•Epilogue•
Sequel!!!
🅡🅐🅝🅓🅞🅜
🅑🅞🅝🅤🅢 🅒🅗🅐🅟🅣🅔🅡

Chapter 46| Feelings

83 19 1
By SIR__JAY

Chapter 46: Feelings

Tracy

At 4p.m on dot, I took off my apron and went to return it to the kitchen. The room was a bit crowded with chefs in stained aprons and net caps as they processed the white powder into delicious baked snacks. My mouth watered at the samosas before I dragged my feet out of the stuffy room.

"You couldn't even wait a little bit more." Olive teased and passed me my small backpack behind the counter, "Where are you rushing to?"

"I don't know if you noticed but my body clocked in to work today and gone with the wind was my soul the whole time."

"Oh really?" she mused, "And why's that?"

"Ugh, I slept late last night."

"Again, why?"

Stretching a little, I told her, "I stayed up to study and blacked out sometime around three a.m."

"Ooh, I'm impressed. I thought you weren't planning on studying till the school announces sale of form."

"I thought so too but my tutor advised otherwise." I replied tiredly.

"You have a tutor? Since when? Is it a man?"

"Man? No, it's a boy about my age."

"Oh my gosh. Is he cute?" she inquired in excitement and his image crept to my mind. Of course he was cute.

Nah, cute was a word to describe a kitten. He was the most beautiful creation I'd seen in my lifetime and the sight of him would simply wet pants.

"Yeah, kinda." I replied carelessly in contrast to my mushy thoughts.

"So?" Olive leaned forward with a knowing look, "Has he noticed you yet?"

"He's my tutor, Olive. Nothing more, nothing less."

"What are you saying? He's a boy and you're a girl." she gestured with her hands, "Hello! Do the math."

"Bye Olive." I slung my little backpack over my shoulder and headed out.

"You're telling me all about him when we chat later tonight!" she hollered after me and I made a dash for it, away from her tell tales out of school. I could only handle one Chioma at a time.

With my playlist blasting in my ears through my earphones, I took the long walk home and arrived some twenty minutes later.

"I'm home!" I hollered as I got in only to find my mom and her friend in the living room.

"Uh.. good evening ma... mom." I greeted the women.

"How are you, darling?" Aunty Lydia responded with a smile while my mom simply nodded.

"I'm fine." I mustered a smile and made to go.

"Tracy."

I turned around and swallowed, seeing the frown knitted on my mom's face.

"Ma?"

"Sit down." she said, "We want to have a word with you."

lawd, what did I do this time?

"Eri, don't scare her naw." Aunty Lydia chastised her and turned to me with a warm smile, "Don't mind your mom, fine lady. I'm the one who wants to see you."

Feeling a little less tensed, I sat down across them. The pretty woman clasped her hands around her crossed legs and began,

"I want to ask a favor from you actually. You see, my wedding is four days away and the artiste I invited to perform on that day suddenly cancelled on me saying he wouldn't be able to make it. I've listened to you sing with the church choir a couple of times and I'm convinced you know your onions. So I was wondering if you wouldn't mind performing on that day instead."

know my onions... she's saying I'm good at singing!

My heart began to pound a little faster in my chest and I stared at my mom to be sure my ears had heard well. Aunty Lydia seemed to catch on and she quickly added,

"Oh, I've told your mom about it and she has agreed on it. I just need your answer."

"Ma, I'm not a professional." I mumbled, looking down at my clammy hands, "I've only sung with the choir, nothing more."

"Yes, I know. And I also know you intend to make it a lifelong career so you can as well take this as a deal breaker."

The voices in my head were getting louder each second and cold sweats were pouring down my temple. The anxiety kicked in and fear of the unknown. Was I really ready for this? For something I've always wanted, a chance I long prayed for? What if I blew it away?

"Isn't there any other way?" I asked the woman, "Can't you find another artiste?"

"Well, there are some important people I know who are going to attend my wedding and I can't just call on a random upcoming musician for the task. It took me weeks to make an appointment with this artiste in question and now that he's unavailable, it'll take a while to find another performer for the day."

"But I'm not a good musician either." I countered under duress, "There are better artistes than me out there. I'm just an amateur."

Aunty Lydia exchanged a look with my mom and began, "Look, I'm not going to pressure you okay? If I can't find an artiste, that's on me. I just thought to seek a family friend before looking elsewhere. It's absolutely understandable if you don't want to do it. Or if it's money you're worried about, you're not going to do it for free. I'm definitely going to pay y–"

"What kind of nonsense is that, Lydia?" my mom butt in, "It's her loss if she refuses the offer. What are you paying her for?"

"No, no, Eri. This is a formal request. That's how it's done and I won't do otherwise because she's your daughter. I am willing to pay for the services so let her name her price."

"Even she knows better than to do such a thing. She's not getting a dime whether or not she agrees and that's final."

"But,–"

"I'll do it." I said and both the women looked at me blankly.

"What?" Aunty Lydia deadpanned.

During their bicker, I gave it a thought. I've always wanted to be known for what I did best. For the only thing I did best. But my mom didn't want me bailing out of getting a university degree so we decided that I waited till then.

One thing wasn't right though. This was my life. I get to decide what I want, not my mom, not my brother, or anyone else. I figured it must've taken a lot of convincing for Mrs. Thomps to get her on agreeing to this but nonetheless, it was high time I planted my feet on the ground and proved to everyone that I could do just fine in life by singing for a living.

And coming out on her wedding would be my first step in setting the record straight.

Smiling, I confidently said to them both.

"I'll sing on your wedding."

~~~

Christopher

I got dressed to set out to Tracy's and went down to have breakfast. Kelvin returned to Lagos yesterday and my stepmom wasn't home so the house felt empty with only granny and my dad around. I quickly packed my plates to the kitchen when I was done and dashed towards the door while glancing occasionally at my wrist watch.

My dad didn't spare me a glance from the living room where he laid on the couch to watch news while I struggled to put on my jacket. The doorbell rang and wondering why Tracy came despite our agreement, I brushed my fingers into my hair and left to open the door.

My eyes widened at the sight on the doorstep and my hands flew to my mouth.

"Aunt Monica!" I exclaimed and rushed to hug her. She giggled at my excitement and patted my back.

"How has my favorite buddy been?"

"I'm fine." I drew back and stared at her in awe, "I've missed you like crazy!"

"Me too. Wow, you've gotten so big. Is this really the kid I changed diapers for?" she teased and I blushed.

"When did you arrive in Nigeria?"

"Since Monday." she replied.

"Monday!? How come I didn't get to know before now?"

"Our plane touched down in Lagos on Monday evening and we decided to settle in first. Did you really think I'll be absent on my brother's wedding? I need to know this woman brave enough to tie the knot with that nutcase. Also, I would have called but I wanted to surprise you."

I cooed loudly and went to hug her again.

"Ahem!" someone coughed and I finally noticed the small girl holding my aunt's hand. She stuck out her tongue and glared at me.

"Oh right. This is Priscilla," Aunt Monica introduced, "your cousin. Priscy, this is Christopher, your big brother."

"Hey little girl." I bent down to her height and tugged her cheek but she slapped my hand away and gave me a killer look.

"I'm not little. And I'm not two years old."

"Ouch." I sulked and rubbed on the bruise.

"Priscilla, behave." her mom chastised and turned to me with a smile, "Don't mind her. She hates being treated like a child but I'll just have to keep reminding her she's one."

"Oh."

"Where's your father?"

"Oh, come on in." I paved way for them, "He's watching Tv."

The ten year old glared bullets at me again before going in with her mom.

"The hell...?" I muttered to myself but jolted into a good mood again at my godmother's visit and went in after them, the tutorial totally forgotten.

_________

Tracy

I got home around five p.m after a long day at work. On getting in, I met my brother, Chioma and Christopher in the parlor.

"You're back." Chioma said as she looked up from her phone, "How was work?"

"It was fine." I smiled tiredly and looked down at the boys. They were sitting cross-legged on the floor and playing a karate video game.

Still not acknowledging my presence, they punched the consoles aggressively and the digital figures gave each other brutal strikes.

My marvel stemmed from the fact that I never thought the boys could get along. Tristan especially, had always been hellbent on intimidating any male friend I dared to have. How were these two suddenly playing video games together? Sure, the scenes were violent enough but the figureheads inciting it together only showed solidarity and that's not how the script goes.

"What's going on?" I demanded from Chioma.

"Chris came sometime in the afternoon and both of them have been playing the stupid game ever since. They didn't even let me watch Tv for a minute."

Just then, Christopher began to chant to the screen. "Die! Die, fucker, die."

And when his game figure delivered the last blow that sent it's opponent to the ground, he yelled out in triumph.

"Chris." I deadpanned, but he squealed on.

"Yes! I won! I wooooon!"

"Christopher!" I snarled and he turned to me in surprise.

"Oh, when did you arrive?"

"What are you doing here?" I asked instead.

"Today's Wednesday." he mouthed.

"Yes, and I didn't see you in the morning for the lesson."

He got up from the floor and towered me in his six foot length, making my breath hike at his proximity.

"Yeah, I got stranded. Sorry about that." he said to me with sincere eyes but I folded my arms and planted my feet down at his striking blue gaze.

"And you are here now because?"

"Was bored at home so I came over." his lip turned up at the corner in a daring smirk, "Got a problem with that?"

I rolled my eyes at him and began to walk away.

"Hey, where are you going?"

"I need to change." I barked at him.

"How was work, cupcake?"

"Don't talk to me." I replied over my shoulder and left.

Christopher

I went to sit on the couch beside Chioma after Tristan left to return the playstation.

"Tracy told me your stepmom asked her to sing at her wedding." Chioma piped beside me.

"Um, yeah. I heard too." I answered nonchalantly.

"You can stop pretending now. I know you have something to do with it."

"And why would you think that?" I retorted and she faced me squarely.

"I am Tracy's best friend and she tells me everything. Which is why I put one plus one together and figured you planned this after she told you a sad story."

Tracy had shown me the many songs she's written and I was awed out of my pants. Once I got home, I talked my stepmom into letting her make an appearance at the wedding which a lot of influential people were to attend. It was a perfect opportunity for her to get recognized. So yes, I did mastermind the whole thing but it seemed to me like her friend here was trying to paint me bad for it.

"And why's that a bad thing?"

Chioma shook her head at my cecity on the situation at hand, thinking long and hard before piping up again,

"Do you know why Tracy is so skinny?"

I always pondered on that but finally concluded people came in different sizes and shapes.

"No."

"She volunteered to work as a waitress in that restaurant when things got a little bit hard for her mom. To save money, she treks everyday to work and back rather than taking a cab. At work, she has to deal with the harassments and spoilt brats and just everyone that looks down on her for waiting on them. She's not happy skipping meals too but it gets tough at times and three meals a day is sometimes a luxury she can't afford."

Digesting the information, I gulped and asked, "You're telling me these because?"

"I'm getting there." she smiled and looked into space as she went on, "You see, Tracy tries to act strong enough to take care of herself and even her family. She believes she can make enough money on her own to lend a helping hand to her mom. It's why she declined Ella's help to get connected to a producer the other day.

Now I appreciate that you met with Daniella to get the producer to the wedding and got Tracy convinced about singing on that day, so it would only look natural if she gets approached by the producer you invited without her knowledge."

"How did you know all these?"

"Daniella told me." she answered, "She wanted me to be aware of the plan since I'm best friends with Tee. The point I'm trying to make is this. Tracy is a conservative person and has never once gone out with a boy. You are the only guy that's spent as much time as you have with her, and is not her brother or her brother's friends.

Being her closest friend, it's my job to look out for her and I'm afraid she might take a liking to you because of your nice gestures and get attached. I've seen it happen one too many times. I also heard you have a girlfriend and Tracy knows this too. So I just want you to promise me you have no hidden motive towards Tracy and I'll make sure she doesn't get her heart broken at the end of the day."

The shit ball hit me like a blow and I tried to understand where Chioma was coming from.

"Did she tell you she likes me?"

"No, she didn't." she sighed, "Chris, you have a charming personality and sometimes you are charming without even realizing it. You have good looks and you're smart. It's a big deal your type of person noticed Tracy in the first place and—"

"What did Ella tell you?" I cut in, trying in earnest to keep my anger at bay.

"Daniella didn't tell me anything. I'm just not stupid, okay? I'm aware of the pranks and I'm conversant with affection disguised as hatred and it's Tracy's method especially, when she sees someone she likes and is not too afraid to talk to. I don't want her falling head over heels for someone who has a girlfriend he's running back to at the end of the fucking day."

I concluded Daniella hadn't spilled anything about the school drama, and so I fell silent and got intrigued by the color of the rug.

she can't possibly have feelings for me, can she?

A large percentage of the girls I'd met ended up in my bed after getting obsessed with me but I just never saw Mad Tracy suffering the same fate.

On cue, Tracy came back into the living room in shorts and a tank top and paused on seeing us staring pitifully at her. "What?"

"Nothing." I replied and sniffed dryly, "Were you told you're going with us to the resort on Friday?"

"Yeah," she sighed and picked up the Tv remote, "your stepmom told me. Uh, how many of us are going again?"

"Everyone." I told her, "Just the gang, you and I. All of us except Kelvin and Ella actually. Kelvin left for Lagos already so both of them will meet us there on their own."

"Actually," Chioma interjected, "I won't be going with you guys. I have my last NECO papers to sit for on that day so I'll be joining you later on."

"What's the travelling arrangement?" Tracy asked.

"The twins, Richie, Suze, you and I will leave with my car from my place at the designated time. Paul, Char and the adults will leave in the bus we're hiring." I stated.

"When was this decided?"

"The group chat." Chioma spat, "You know, the one you were added to but have never been a part of."

"Yeah, whatever."

A knock was heard on the door and I asked, "Expecting someone?"

"I should be asking you." she gave me a pointed look and went to the door. It was Charlie and Michael but I had not invited them over.

"What the..? What are you guys doing here?" Tracy laughed and let them in.

"Oh, come on." Michael simpered and made a chauvinistic pose, "Don't tell me you didn't miss me–" he got a jab in the stomach from Charlie.

"–miss us." Michael rephrased and groaned on the floor.

"Hey." Charlie greeted with a smile and the latter flushed.

"Hi." Tracy replied shyly.

"What have you been up to in my absence?"

"Nothing much." she replied and took a bite of her lip.

the actual fuck?

She clearly had a boyfriend and would never picture me that way. What was I thinking in the first place?

"Come sit, guys." Chioma ushered them over.

"Hey what's up man." Michael came to give me a fist bump.

"Fine." I replied stiffly and stood up, "I'll see you later."

"You're leaving?" Charlie asked after me and I looked down at Tracy's hand in his, immediately gauging my anger like my therapist had taught me before I could think of breaking the table on his head.

"Yes," I answered calmly and faked a smile, "enjoy your stay." with that, I left.

I need a drink.

Vote and comment♡.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 14.9K 59
A NIGERIAN THEMED NOVEL. *COMPLETED* Highest ranking. #1 out of 369 lagos #2/22/20 #1 out of 28 lekki #3/11/20 #9 out of 1.52k besti...
28.3K 4.7K 52
Andrew and Victoria's relationship was their definition of perfect, but everything came crashing down when Andrew broke her heart. The only problem n...
42.5K 12.6K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...
12.6K 2.2K 53
ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ sᴇᴇ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ sᴇʀɪᴇs(sᴛs) "𝑈𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑙 𝑤𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑓𝑢𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝑓𝑟𝑒𝑒, 𝑤𝑒 𝑝𝑢𝑡 𝑢𝑝 𝑎 𝑓𝑎𝑙𝑠𝑒 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑡, 𝑎 𝑓𝑎𝑐𝑎𝑑𝑒...