A Mermaid's Tale~Emma Gilbert

By WhatintheHale17

Harper King is new in town. When she makes friends with a girl named Cleo, she wasn't expecting to be thruste... More

Cast
1.1.1
1.2.1
1.2.2
1.3.1
1.3.2

1.4.1

710 28 12
By WhatintheHale17

Later that day, Byron, Flynn and Harper stand around in their set up little area while Rikki looks around. There was a painted sign that read 'The Surf Squad's Shredding Tips'. "I can't believe I agreed to do this" "Because you love us" Flynn smiles, flinging an arm over her shoulder. Rikki pushes his arm off of her, her arms crossed. "Oh, come on, Rikki. It'll be fun. And you don't have to really do anything. You just have to manage the customers and the money. You're still getting paid" Harper reminds her.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's just get this over with" Rikki mutters. They flip the sign on their tent to say open. They had boards laid out on the sand for teaching people how to stand when they surf. Everyone had to do this and eventually, if they were ready, one of them would take them out into the water. Under the open tent was where Flynn would make the boards and keep them for if people wanted to take a look around. They had to pay a little to set the tent up and stuff but thanks to Rikki, who happens to be really persuasive, she managed to get them to lower the price.

People from their school start appearing as well as a couple older people who had seen it from their visit to the beach. Soon, they're all getting to work, Harper and Byron teaching three to four people each while Rikki handled the money and Flynn busied himself with checking over the boards, explaining how he made them to other people. Even people like Miriam and Zane had come but luckily Byron took them. Harper wasn't about to deal with them.

"I see you're doing well" "Oh, now you want to admit that? I thought my business would go horribly wrong" Harper points out, looking at Stella. "It would have if you didn't have a manager. Look who seemed to like my advice after all" "Okay, what do you want? Did you just come here to annoy me or...?" Harper sighs. "No, I came to see how my little sis was doing. It seems you've got your hands full" "I do. Which means I don't have time for you. Either get in line or leave"

"Can't do either. I don't want to pay and my friends are getting lessons. I'll just have to wait" Stella shrugs. "Great." Harper mutters, moving to teach more people. "Harp, I'm taking this one out into the water. You think you can help them too. They're not ready" Byron says. Harper sends him a shaka and he smiles, leading a girl out into the water. "Wow, you guys seem to be doing great" Cleo and Emma were beside Harper, looking it over.

"I know. It's awesome" Harper smiles as she looks it over. Flynn was helping someone with the best surfing position while Rikki seemed to be arguing with someone. "I can't believe you decided Rikki would be your best choice as manager." Cleo comments as she looks over. They watch as Rikki throws the guy's money in his face and he glares at her, saying something else before stomping away. "Yeah...great choice" Emma and Cleo raise an eyebrow.

"You two here to surf? Don't have to go into the water" Harper reminds them. "That was the plan" Emma agrees. "And for being my favorite customers, you get no charge!" "Nuh-uh! They still have to pay too. That's not how this business works, Harper" Rikki had appeared, holding the money tin out expectantly. "Wow...so thoughtful" Emma replies sarcastically, putting some money in, Cleo following suit. "I don't make the rules" Rikki shrugs. "Isn't that why we hired you, though?" Rikki had already walked away and Harper shrugs.

"Go ahead and grab some boards, ladies. I'll be with you momentarily." The two nod, heading over to the grab some boards as Harper looks around. She notices a guy watching close by who looked to be in his mid-forties. She walks up to him curiously. "Hi, sir, here to learn to surf?" Harper wonders curiously. "Sure am. Though, we all know what I'm really here for, am I right?" He chuckles dryly, nodding his head in the direction of a group of teenage girls Flynn was helping out, all dressed in bikinis. "Surf lessons?" Harper asks confused.

He just winks, turning to look at another group. Harper slowly nods, walking towards Flynn and glancing back at the guy who was watching her walk away. He turns to look at other girls as Harper grabs Flynn's arm. "Flynn, can I, uh, talk to you for a second?" "Oh, but I'm-" He notices her expression and pauses. "Excuse us, ladies" He waves Byron over to help them who had come back from the water before they move to talk privately

"See that guy over there?" "Want me to take him?" "Yeah, out of here" Harper nods and he looks over curiously. "What's up?" "Watch" The two watch him as he looks over girls passing by, smirking. "Oh...I see your point. What should we do?" "Anything to get the perv away" Harper scoffs. She notices his gaze locked onto Stella, or more like her backside and her jaw clenches in anger, her eyes growing darker. "Immediately"

"Hey, guys" Lewis was standing beside them. "Lewis! Perfect timing. We both know you're not here to surf" Harper starts off. "Oh, God..." "This is serious." Flynn nods his head at the guy who had finally moved to stand with a group full of girls, checking them all out while he 'learned' to surf. "Who is that?" "Some creep who only payed to check out girls. We need you to get rid of him" "Just me? Alone?" "Pretend to bond, lead him away, whatever. Get rid of them and call me once he's distracted" "Ugh! You owe me!" "Forever in your debt, my dude" Flynn pats his shoulder.

Lewis grumbles, walking towards the guy. The two talk for a minute or two before Lewis and him start slowly walking away. "I think we found a job for him" Harper comments. "We'll talk business later. We have customers" Flynn reminds her and she nods, both of them moving to work. Harper walks towards a group with Miriam, Emma, Cleo, and one of Miriam's minions. Miriam and her minion were talking and Cleo and Emma were talking with Rikki who had apparently abandoned the booth.

"Sorry about the wait. We had a bit of an issue" "Finally" Miriam huffs. "Watch it" Rikki warns her before her, Cleo and Emma send Harper a curious look. "I'll explain later" She stands in front of the group and Rikki moves back to the booth to trade with Flynn. "Okay, now, first off, we start with your positioning on the board. Let's start with your footing. One foot should always be in front of the other. There are two terms for it. You're either a 'Goofy Surfer' or a 'Regular Surfer'" "What are you?" Miriam wonders, her arms crossed as she stands beside her board.

"A 'Goofy Surfer'?" Her minion adds and the two smirk. "Actually, I am." "What does that mean?" Cleo asks curiously. "It means I surf with my right foot up at the front" Harper sets her board down sideways into the sand so the group can see and gets on the board, mimicking her stance. "So what, you just pick which foot to put in front?" "No, the footing depends on your reflexes. If you based it on which foot you wanted up front, it wouldn't be called 'Surfing', it'd be called 'Diving'" Emma and Cleo both laugh as Miriam and her minion roll their eyes.

"And before you ask, there are two ways to tell which foot you put forward. Either you can determine it by kicking a football and whichever foot automatically moves up to meet it would be your front foot, or someone pushes you from behind and whichever foot you use to catch yourself would be your front foot" Harper explains. "And how exactly do you know this? Did someone teach you to surf as well?" "I taught myself" "Then why should we be trusting you?" "Fine, don't listen. I don't care. Go ahead, let's see you surf" Harper motions out towards the ocean, giving the two an expectant look.

The two glance at each other before shrinking back and Harper nods. "Now, I have a football here if you don't trust me and want to give it a shot, or I can push you lightly. I'd prefer the push though because that really tests your reflexes" Emma and Cleo shrug, moving towards Harper. Cleo turns around. "Are you ready?" "Yes" Cleo nods. "Okay, remember, don't think about it, let your reflexes guide you" Cleo nods, and Harper gives her a gentle push. Cleo's left foot catches her.

"You're a 'Regular Surfer'" Harper smiles. "Yes!" Cleo fist pumps. Miriam pushes Emma out of the way with a huff. "Do me already" Harper sends Emma an apologetic look before pushing Miriam and Miriam catches herself with her right foot. "You're a 'Goofy Surfer'" Miriam turns to look at her with a scowl. "I'm more 'Regular' than all of you combined!" She argues. "There's nothing wrong with it, Miriam. It just means your front foot is your right foot" Harper shrugs. "Try it again!" Miriam demands. "Fine" Harper gives her another gentle shove, her right foot stopping once again, though Harper could tell Miriam tried to switch the foot. "Still a 'Goofy Surfer'"

"Whatever! I'm going to the way better surfer! You dont know what you're talking about. Come on" Miriam motions for her sidekick. "But-" Miriam marches off to Byron, dragging her minion with her, making sure to shoulder-check Harper as well. "I'm so sorry, Harper. She's like this with everyone" Cleo quickly says. "Trust me, it doesn't surprise me. At least now I don't have to deal with her attitude and her bitchy-ness" "Can I try now?" Emma asks hopefully.

Harper nods and Emma turns her back towards her. Harper feels suddenly nervous. She slowly raises her hands, gently pushing Emma and Emma's left foot saves her. "Regular Surfer" "Cool" Emma nods, though she stares out at the water wistfully. "I'm sorry you guys can't surf anymore" Both frown as they look out before Emma turns to look at her, shaking her head. "It's alright. You can do all the surfing. You're good at it anyways" Emma assures her and Harper nods. "Would you like to move on to the next step?" Harper motions towards their boards and they nod.

"Okay, now that you know your front foots, it's all about positioning on the board itself. If you're too far on one side, you're most likely not even gonna get up on the board at all. Now, for all of the beginners, we made sure the boards had a 'Stinger'" Harper kneels down beside the vacant board Miriam's minion had been using, tracing along the line running through the center. "Both feet should be centered. You don't want one foot on one side, one on the other. Both your arches should be equally positioned over the 'Stinger'. And not only that, you have to make sure you're not so far back or the opposite, it has to be a little bit less than halfway, more towards the back of the board" Harper demonstrates first, just to give an example.

She motions for them to follow suit and they do, Cleo's feet a little bit off. "Almost, Cleo, just, uh" Harper gives her a questioning look. "Of course you can help" Cleo agrees with an amused smile. "Right" Harper moves her a little, moving her feet a little bit farther apart. "There. If you remember this positioning, you should be good to go on that end" She turns to look at Emma who was watching her curiously. Harper looks over her positioning before nodding with an impressed smile. "Very good, Emma. Let's move onto the next lesson, shall we?" She moves back towards the front where her board is.

"You've got the feet positioning down but you also need to make sure your upper body and even lower body are in the right position as well. Everything has to work together or else you'll lose balance" Harper moves to stand on her board, showing off her stance. "Now, like a lot of other things dealing with balance, your feet have to be shoulder width apart, if it's too wide" Harper moves her legs farther apart. "That's gonna be really uncomfortable, first off, and the feet positioning also determines your speed. If your legs are like this and you need to slow down, this is gonna do nothing for you because all of your muscles and weight are being used to keep your legs spread apart. But, if it's shoulder width" Harper moves her legs back, "Easier control. Try the difference"

She motions for them to try and both practice moving their legs to feel out the difference. "And remember where to keep your feet. It works best to keep them on that center line or else you'll topple over" Harper reminds them and Cleo fixes her feet positioning. "As for your upper body, you should keep it leaning a little bit forward to give the board the momentum it needs. But also remember to keep it straight. If you're like this" Harper slouches her shoulders dramatically. "That won't give you any control. You probably won't even be able to get up on the board. But if you're like this" Harper straightens her back. "You'll be fine. Another thing, always make sure you're bending your knees. That's how it should be with most things you do anyways."

"Only slightly bent though, and you have to also make sure your knees are pointing towards each other, like so" Harper demonstrates. "Doing so will make it much easier to shift your hips and control your speed. It'll also help you do some cool tricks as well" Harper motions for them to try and with some help from her, they eventually get it. "Doesn't seem that bad. I could have been a surfer" Emma comments. "That was the easy part. The hard part is actually managing to get yourself up on your board" Harper smirks. "I'm guessing there are a lot of steps and stuff for that as well?" Cleo asks and Harper nods. "Sounds fun" Emma sighs out and Harper chuckles before getting to work on showing them how to pop up on their boards.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 182 27
Will is and always has been extremely curious about mermaids, no matter how many times the adults in his life tell him that they are dangerous. he lo...
8.3K 303 16
Madeleine Hawkins is back with her mermaid and mermen pals. Here's to a new season of adventures with a secret that needs to be kept! Sequel to...
172K 4.8K 30
[ DISCONTINUED ! ] i think you should stay, because i hope we can feel the way we do now for all time. conrad fisher x fem oc © salkulti
101K 3.8K 35
A SwanQueen AU. Emma's the new girl at Storybrooke High learning how to survive but how can she keep to herself when her English teacher catches her...