Mirroring the Endless Night |...

By SomberSummerRain

With a silent huff slipping past his lips, Elliott pulled his notepad closer to him and clicked the end of hi... More

1. Early Spring
2. First Impressions
3. Egg-related Festivities
4. Bonding
5. The Unpacked Box
6. Progress
7. The Flower Dance
8. A Writer's Woes
9. Sweet Summer Child
10. Escapades on a Summer's Day
11. The Storm
12. Autumn Follies
13. The Start of Something New
15. Baby Steps

14. Birthday Surprise

867 24 16
By SomberSummerRain

"... so it's thirty-five hundred gold for each night? Plus amenities... yeah...mhmm... yes, we'll be arriving tomorrow, that's Friday, and leaving on Sunday... we'll check-out in the evening... you can mark the reservation under Maria Ortiz... mhmm... yes, it'll only be two of us... alright, thank you so much... buh-bye"

Maria grins as she hangs up that call before tapping rapidly on her screen to pull up another contact- Elliott, who now in her list of contacts had a heart emoji next to his name, certifying that they were, in fact, in a relationship. When in high school Maria had seen countless other girls do the same on their own phones, and at the time she thought it silly, but now she understood. In her past relationships she'd never done so either, but something about Elliot was special.

Tapping the call button, she presses the phone up to her ear and waits for the writer to pick up.

One ring. Two rings-

"Hello?"

"Hiya honey," the farmer smiles, his new nickname rolling off of her tongue easily, "I know this is sudden but you think we could meet up later today? I've got some news to tell you about."

"Of course, dearest. I don't have any calls or plans for the day, we can meet at any time," he replies quickly.

"Good. Ummmm, swing by my farm some time this evening? I've just been helping Robin with some final preparations on the new barn, it should be done this weekend," she says with a grin.

Elliott chuckles, "that's wonderful news. I'll be sure to pay you a visit later today then. See you soon, dear."

"See you soooon~" Maria replies with a giggle.

Tapping her screen once more, she hangs up the call and pockets her phone before walking out of the farmhouse to walk across her land. The crops were all growing nicely, with rows of sprouts and leaves taking form. The trees all around Pelican town were darkening into red, brown, and orange hues, and the berry bushes in the forest and mountain were showing signs of budding blackberries that'd be ripe within the new few weeks.

The newest project Maria is most excited for though is the barn. After being inspected by Robin, the carpenter had decided the building's skeleton could be salvaged even after being abandoned for years. The farmer had helped her tear down the walls, rip up the floor board, and remove the roof so fresh wood and new frames could be put into place.

Walking into the building, Maria was greeted by the now familiar noise of a hammer against wood.

"Oh, hey there farmer," Robin grinned, peering over her shoulders as she put another nail in place, "floorboards are just about finished up. All I gotta do after this is install the glass for the windows and the food trough for your cows and you'll be all set."

"Perfect," the farmer smiles, "thanks so much for this. I've had my mind set on owning cows since my first day in the valley."

Robin chuckles, slamming the hammer down once on the final nail before setting it aside and standing up, brushing herself off. "Well, you've got your chickens, you're about to have your cows. You have any other plans coming up?"

Maria blinks, slightly confused before laughing, "what do you mean?"

"Welllll," the carpenter smirks, "a little birdie told me that you and Elliott are a bit of an item now, huh?"

The farmer blushes and rolls her eyes, "which one? Caroline? Jodi?"

"Both, this Tuesday when I went to the weekly workout," she laughs, "but Demetrius and I had a feeling this would happen ever since the flower dance."

"That's what everyone has been saying," Maria giggles, "I just hope the gossip isn't negative, y'know?"

Robin quickly shakes her head, "nono, of course not. I think the town's excited to see a new young couple. And if they're all paying attention to the two of you, they can stop guessing if Abigail's going to pick between Sam or Sebastian- for a little while, anyways."

The farmer smiles, "well that's good to know. Speaking of Elliott, I'm meeting him later today. I actually, um, planned something special for his birthday this weekend."

The carpenter chuckles, "spill the beans, where are you going?'

"I booked us a room at the Iridium Rose and we're going to see a play. I also have a couple restaurants in mind for us to eat at," Maria grins, bouncing on the heels of her feet out of excitement.

"The Iridium Rose?" Robin gasps, "that's one of the fanciest hotels this side of the gem sea, how'd you manage that?"

"I have a friend back in Zuzu City who works in the hotel, she pulled some strings for me and bumped my name up the list for availability. The place is nearly always booked but there was a last minute cancellation and bam, I snagged a room!" the farmer explained.

"Oh, Maria that's great! I'm thrilled, I'm sure the two of you are gonna have a lot of fun," Robin congratulates her.

"I hope so, it's kinda gonna be like our first official date, y'know? I just want everything to go well," Maria sighs.

"I'm sure it'll all go great," the carpenter reassures her, "now, come help me carry these glass panels."

...

"So, you wrote everything down yeah?"

"Yup, I got everything. Show up in the morning, water the crops, feed the chickens, collect the eggs, feed Orion, anything that's ripe I can put in the shipping box for Mayor Lewis to collect, check if any fences have to be mended, and tap the maple tree for syrup," Leah repeats back, a small note pad in her hand where she'd written all the chores the farmer had tasked her with.

"Mhmm! And, if you ever ever get hungry or anything the fridge in the kitchen is stocked so feel free to feed yourself while you're hanging out on the farm," Maria replies.

"Anything in the barn?"

"Nah, Robin's gonna swing by again tomorrow to put the finishing touches in, I don't have any cows or anything in there yet."

"So when are you guys leaving?"

"There's a bus to Zuzu City scheduled around ten in the morning tomorrow, so I'll be gone before that. I'll leave the spare key to the farmhouse beneath the mat on the patio for you to grab once you show up. I'll make sure all the animals are fed before I leave, you'll just have to check on the crops and fences."

"How much is Elliott going to know about?"

"I'm only telling him to pack a bag for the weekend and bring some nice clothes, he's not going to know any other details than that."

Leah chuckles at this, setting her notepad down and shaking her head at the farmer, "he's going to faint when the two of you show up at that hotel tomorrow."

"And if he does faint, he'll wake up in one of the comfiest hotel beds in the entire country," Maria smirks, sticking her tongue out at Leah.

The two women laugh together before discussing more plans for the weekend, and all the ways to improve this special trip.

...

The sun was beginning to set as Maria walked down her row of grape trellises, making sure all the wood beams for the vines to grow on were firmly set in the ground. Just as she begins to walk away from the final plant, a sudden voice makes her perk up.

"Hello, my dear! The farm looks stunning as always."

The farmer can't help the grin that spreads on her face once she hears him. She spins on her heels to look towards the farm's entrance, being greeted by the sigh of Elliott walking up towards her farmhouse with a bag in his hands. The green tie he normally wore was loosened, and his hair was loosely tied back.

"Well, aren't you casual," Maria smiles, tugging off her work gloves and shoving them into her back pocket, "it's a good look on you."

The writer blushes slightly, "you think so? I simply see it as a symptom of a lazy day."

Maria rolls her eyes as she walks up to him, "shush, you look handsome." Leaning up on her tiptoes, she gives him a quick kiss before looking down at the bag, "and what's in here?"

"I decided that since you and I were meeting for the evening I might as well bring dinner along, as a courtesy," he smiles, reaching into the bag and pulling out a sealed container, "spaghetti for two from the saloon."

"Oh, Elliott you didn't have to pay for this, I could've made something here-" she attempts to say, but is quickly stopped in her tracks.

"I've already paid for it, and it's here right in front of us, so hush and allow me to spoil you a little," he chuckles, "shall I bring this into the farmhouse?"

Maria quickly nods her head, and bounds up the porch steps to swing the front door open for him. He walks inside and sets the container down on the kitchen table as the farmer pops open the fridge, "what're we feeling tonight? Juice, water, wine?"

"I believe Lewis mentioned to me the other day that you'd made some kind of berry juice?" he replies.

"Oh yeah!" Maria grins, reaching into the fridge and pulling out a chilled glass bottle, "it's got squeezed spice berries and blueberries, plus sugar since I'm not a fan of the tart taste. Not too much sugar though, the mayor was a fan when I gave him a sample, I'm thinking of making more to hand out during the Stardew Valley Fair in a few weeks since I have a surplus of berries left over from the summer."

She grabs two glasses from the cupboard and pours the juice into them, the mix of berries resulting in an opaque violet color. At the same time, Elliott pulls two plates from the cupboard and splits the large serving of spaghetti between them. The farmer also grabs two forks, handing one to the writer as well as his glass of juice.

The pair get seated at the kitchen table to dig into their food, Maria is more than satisfied by the pasta and Elliott is pleasantly surprised by the berry juice.

"Not meaning to rush you in any way, but what exactly is this news you were so excited to tell me about," Elliott asks curiously.

Maria grins as she twists more spaghetti around her fork, "well, I can't give you all the details just yet, but since tomorrow's your birthday I've planned a little surprise."

"A little surprise?" he repeats with a quirked eyebrow.

"Yes, a surprise," Maria giggles, "I can't tell you much about it. All you get to know is that you and I are going out of town this weekend. You should pack a bag tonight."

Elliott nearly chokes on the juice he was sipping as she said that. "A-A trip? Where, and why, and how-"

"Ah ah ah," the farmer tuts, holding her hand up to hush him, "all you get to know is it's a trip. If you agree, of course, we leave tomorrow in the morning and we'll return Sunday night. All I'll tell you for now is to pack a bag and bring one formal outfit- though I suppose what you normally wear is probably more than fine."

"Formal outfit? Whatever for?" he tries to ask, but she shakes her head.

"I can't tell you that, it's a surprise! So, you wanna do it? I'll be covering all the costs for the weekend, all you need to do is decide to tag along or not" she grins, leaning over the table and giving him an expectant look.

The writer stammers, "b-but how much does this cost? I understand you want to spoil me, but there's no need to do so much-"

"You gave me an expensive gift for my birthday, I'm giving you one back," Maria interrupts, sticking her tongue out at him.

"There's a massive cost difference between a necklace and an all-expenses-paid trip to Yoba knows where," Elliott deadpans.

The farmer giggles, "same difference. Soooo, you wanna come with me?"

"Are you going to tell me where we'll be going if I say yes?" he asks.

"Nope," she replies, popping the 'p'.

He sighs, drumming his fingers against his glass, before giving in and nodding his head, "oh alright. I cannot say no to you, my dear. By when do you expect me to be prepared?"

Maria grins widely, beaming at him once he agrees. "Meet me at the bus stop tomorrow morning by ten. Just pack a bag with enough clothes for the weekend, toiletries and all that, as well as one of your best formal attires."

"Formalwear for what, pray tell?" he retorts.

"That'll ruin the surpriseeee," she drawls, "just trust me on this. You're gonna love it."

Elliott gives the farmer one last skeptical glance before smiling, "alright, alright. I trust you."

The pair continue with their dinner and idly chat about their days and plans for the future, Maria discussing ideas on how to keep busy during the winter and Elliott discussing his revisions for his novel. By the end of the night, they're bidding each other goodbye and exchanging a goodnight's kiss, and as the farmer watches him retreat down the beaten path back into town she can't help but brim with excitement over what the next day will hold.

...

At six the next morning Maria's head popped right off the pillow at the sound of her alarm, already wide awake and full of energy. Throwing off her covers and shutting up her phone, she dashed into the bathroom for a brisk shower, washing her hair and scrubbing herself clean.

Once outside, she wraps a towel around her hair to dry it off as before lugging one of her suitcases out of the back closet. Flipping it open, she folds and tosses an array of clothing inside: sleepwear, undergarments, shirts, and some jeans. She also delicately pulls out a long, deep blue gown that she'd saved for a special occasion long ago and gently places it alongside the rest of her packed clothing.

After sorting out the shoes and toiletries she'd bring along as well, the final item she stows with the rest is the necklace Elliott had given her for her birthday. Gently, she tucks the jewelry box away and zips up her luggage, pushing it aside to finish her morning preparations.

Toweling off the rest of her hair, she lets her curls hang loose and tugs on some denim shorts and a baggy shirt. Walking out of her bedroom, she casually flicks the television on to the local news station and is greeted by a morning report of the weather and some fluff stories.

In the kitchen, she set her coffee maker to brew and grabbed a field snack bar from the pantry, eating it happily as she walked out the front door of her farmhouse and towards the coop. Once inside, she collected the eggs that girls had left behind and made sure their feeding trough and waterer were all full.

"Alright ladies," she announced, bending down and looking over all her birds, "I'm gonna be gone for a couple days. My friend Leah is gonna come around to take care of you guys, I expect you all to behave, yeah?"

All she receives in reply is a few chirps and peeps. Chuckling, she pets Corvus and Cygnus before picking up the basket of eggs and walking out of the coop.

Maria performs one last check on all her crops, all of which look to be in perfect shape and growing on schedule. When a sudden chill washes over her though, her teeth chatter as she shivers. "Colder than I thought it'd be today, but the weatherman did mention a cold front. And it is Autumn now, I suppose. I'm gonna need some longer pants."

Dashing back into the farmhouse, she stows the chicken eggs in her fridge before walking into her bedroom and exchanging her farming clothes for some more weather-appropriate attire. She switches her shorts for some thick black leggings, and her baggy shirt for a form-fitting long sleeve shirt. She also decides to grab one of her scarves from the closet and tuck it inside of her luggage bag, just in case the cold stays in Zuzu City over the weekend as well.

Back in the kitchen, she pours her coffee into a mug and idly sips on it as she checks her phone. It's now 9:10, after all her packing and tending to the chickens, all she needs to do is finish her drink and head over to the bus stop.

As she sips from her mug, she can't help the smile that dances over her lips. She's ecstatic. Spending the weekend with someone she's so fond of, and not only that, she was giving him a gift- and hopefully one he'd really enjoy.

It's been quite some time since she'd been on a date like this, being alone with someone she liked for so long. She simply hoped she didn't make a fool of herself.

Once the clock ticked closer to ten, she downed the rest of her coffee, shut off the television, and bid Orion a goodbye by giving him plenty of scratches behind the ears. "I'll see you in a few days, buddy."

Grabbing her suitcase from her room, she stepped outside of the farmhouse and locked it, leaving the key behind for Leah before marching her way down the dirt path to the bus stop.

Fallen leaves crunch beneath the heels of her boots as she walked, and she absentmindedly hummed to herself. As she arrived to the bus sign itself, she set her luggage down and sat on top of it, using it as a makeshift seat as she pulled out her phone to scroll.

It was about two minutes to 10 when the Zuzu City bus pulled up to the stop- and there was no sign of Elliott. Growing somewhat nervous, Maria stood up and waved at the driver, before turning to look back to the road.

"Young lady, are you going to be getting on the bus?" the driver, a somewhat older woman, rolled down the window to ask her.

"Y-yeah, in just a moment, I'm waiting for someone," the farmer replied.

The driver sighed, "alright, I'll give you a couple more minutes, but I'm on a schedule."

"Thank you, I understand," Maria replied, biting down on her lip as she flipped through her phone contacts to call Elliott.

The phone rings. "C'mon, please pick up," she whispers. It rings again.

No answer.

Her anxious thoughts start racing. 'Did he cancel without letting me know? Did something come up... was I too forward? Did I scare him off? He wouldn't just ditch me, he's never... he would've let me know-'

"Maria!"

Her head shoots up and she looks towards the path once more, and she can't help the grin that spreads on her face when she sees a familiar redhead sprinting towards her.

"Dearest, my apologies," he begins once he stands before her, "I slept in past the time I'd planned on awaking, Willy had stopped me at the beach to inquire about my cabin with the oncoming cold weather, I needed to pay Emily a visit so she could sew one of my coats that had a ripped seam-"

The farmer giggles as she presses her finger to his lips to pause his rambling, "no need to say sorry, you're here now, c'mon let's get on the bus."

The pair grab their luggage and board the vehicle. Being the only passengers, Maria is quick to scurry over to one of the window seats so she can look out at the valley during the drive, and she smiles at Elliott when he sits besides her.

"Well, if I'm reading that sign correctly, and I know I am, this is the bus line to Zuzu City," Elliott murmurs to her as the bus shudders back to life and begins to cruise down the road, "what surprises could you possibly have for me there?"

"You'll just have to wait and see," she grins, crossing her legs, "the big big surprise is tonight, but we'll have a couple hours to get ready for it once we arrive."

He glances over at her curiously, "we'll have to prepare for it? I assume it's some kind of event?"

"Something like that," she giggled, turning to look out the window.

The bus passed through the tunnel and the next thing she knew they were leaving the boundary of Pelican Town. Nervous thoughts came flooding back to the forefront of the farmer's mind though; a fear that she'd screw up the trip somehow, he'd want to leave, she'd do something, anything, and it'd make Elliott realize that his affection for her was a fleeting phase.

When she feels a faint touch on her hand though, she blinks and turns her gaze, blushing when she realizes Elliott's palm was atop her own. With a grin, she laces her fingers with his, and decides, just for a little while, to push her anxiousness aside and enjoy the present.

...

"Maria..."

"Yes Elliott?"

After a two hour ride on the bus, the two had been deposited in the heart of downtown Zuzu City at the steps of-

"The Iridium Rose?" Elliott gasps, staring up at the monolith of a hotel in awe, "I- how- we're staying here?"

"We sure are," Maria giggled, grasping his hand in her own, "c'mon, let's go get checked in."

The pair walk through a revolving door and enter into the most immaculate lobby the farmer had ever seen in her life. The heels of her boots clicked against a polished marble floor and the light of a crystal chandelier that hung above them lit the room. Marble columns on either side of the room are decorated with vines of sweet-smelling flora, and a deep-red rug leads them to the concierge desk where a neatly-dressed woman waits for them at a computer.

"Hello and welcome to the Iridium Rose, my name is Meredith and I'm most happy to help you during your stay in Zuzu City," she greets them with a smile, "do you have a reservation I can look up?"

"Oh! Yes," Maria quickly replies, "it's filed under the last name Ortiz?"

The receptionist nods and clicks through some tabs on the computer before turning back to the farmer, "yes I see it here, Maria Ortiz, two night stay in one of our Prismatic suites, full amenities, and you'll be checking out on Sunday?"

"Correct."

"Wonderful, now then," Meredith snaps her fingers and a young man walks up to the desk, "this is Thomas, he'll be taking your luggage up to your room. Please feel free to help yourself to the drinks and snacks in the cafe in the west wing down that hallway as I finalize the information and print out the key card for your room, all I ask is that you return in about fifteen minutes with the payment of gold for your stay."

Maria smiles at Thomas as he picks up the luggage, and the receptionist tells him what the farmer assumes is the room number before he walks away towards the elevator. When she looks back to Elliott, she giggles, noticing he's gazing around the entry hall with wonder in his eyes.

Grasping his hand in her own, she tugs him out of his spaced out state by nodding towards the cafe, "c'mon, I barely had breakfast, let's go eat something."

The cafe is cozy, yet still as fancy as the rest of the building. Cushioned seats in curved nooks lined the walls, with pristinely polished coffee tables sat around for use. A snack bar filled to the brim with various pastries, sweets, and savory bite-sized eats was in the center of the room, as well as a bar manned by two employees who were currently chatting with another patron.

"Are we allowed to simply grab anything we see," Elliott murmured curiously.

"Yes," the farmer grinned, "it's all included."

After grabbing a blueberry muffin and a glass of juice from the bar, Maria got settled into one of the seats, soon being joined by Elliott who had his own poppyseed muffin and glass of water.

The farmer had just barely lifted the pastry to her mouth to take a bite, before gasping loudly, nearly dropping her treat.

"Oh my Yoba, I haven't even told you happy birthday yet," she nearly exclaimed.

The writer, however, chuckled at this.

"Dearest, just because you have yet to verbally tell me happy birthday, does not mean that you haven't told me through your actions," he smiled, "have you seen where we are? Where you've brought me, via your generosity alone? This, already, is a birthday wish I'll be remembering for many years to come."

Maria blushed listening to him. "W-well... still. Happy birthday. Gosh, how are you so nice all the time?"

"In all my years I've found that anger doesn't tend to get anyone anywhere, and simply hurts yourself and those around you. I do my best to stay kind and understanding, even when some people aren't acting in a way that's deserving of my kindness. With you, I never struggle at all to be kind, as you're quite kind to me yourself," he explains, giving the farmer a warm look.

Flushed, and incredibly flustered, the farmer stammers out a 'thank you' before shoving a piece of muffin in her mouth to avoid saying anything stupid.

After the pair enjoy their makeshift lunch, they head back to the concierge desk where Maria forks over seven thousand gold to pay for the two night stay (much to Elliott's shock), and two key cards for room 1202.

"Take the lift up to the twelfth floor and your suite will be two rooms to the left," the receptionist smiles, "welcome and enjoy your stay at the Iridium Rose."

Once inside the elevator, Maria excitedly presses the button for their floor and very quickly the lift begins to rise. Bouncing back and forth on her feet, she looks at Elliott with a grin, "this is actually my first time staying anywhere this nice. So, I'm indulging both of us if I'm being honest."

"I'm sure our relationship is going to have plenty of us indulging one another," he chuckles, leaning against the wall opposite of her.

The farmer blushes, "is that supposed to be an innuendo?"

"I- n-no, that was not my intent," the writer sputters, causing her to giggle.

"I'm just messing with you, don't worry~" Maria smirks.

There's a small dinging noise, and the next thing she knows the elevator doors are sliding open. Stepping outside, she's greeted by a long hallway lined with a deep-blue, plush rug and golden sconces lighting up either side of the wall.

Gripping her key card, she walks towards the left as the receptionist had instructed, passing by room 1201, and then stopping in front of their door.

"To be totally honest I have no idea how the inside is supposed to look," she admits, sliding her key card into the lock and hearing a small click, "I just know it's supposed to be fancy."

Turning the handle, she pushes open the door and stares with wide eyes at the view before her.

The prismatic suite is large, likely bigger than any apartment on could rent in Zuzu City itself. The door opens to a hallway that splits off in varying directions, one is a fully stocked kitchen with a snack bar full of sweets and treats, the other is a powder room, a walk in closet, one is the bathroom with the biggest shower Maria had ever seen in her life, as well as a jacuzzi tub, a small seating area with a large flat-screen tv and a fireplace, and then the bedroom.

The bedroom itself is exquisite. One of the walls of pure glass windows, looking over the cityscape with the horizon in the valley, with velvety curtains on either side to draw at night for privacy. There's a wardrobe that the pair's suitcases had been laid beside, a smaller closet with an ironing board within it, a nightstand that when opened reveals various lotions, creams, oils, and even a small sewing kit. The bed is massive, with many pillows lining the headrest, and a dark red cover and paler red blankets beneath.

It's perfect. Nearly perfect. Not as perfect when Maria realizes:

"There's only one bed," she gasps, "when I'd phoned I requested a suite with two beds..."

"Why's that?" Elliott asked curiously, lifting his suitcase onto the end of the bed.

"W-well," Maria stammered, "I just didn't know if you'd be uncomfortable sharing a bed with me? I mean I know we're dating but I don't want you to feel compelled to do anything like that."

"Dearest, we've slept together before," the writer replied, and upon seeing the blush on her face he continues, "not in that way, in the literal sense. Though if it would make you more comfortable, I can sleep on the couch in the other-"

"No!" the farmer exclaims, "this is your birthday trip, I'm not making you sleep on the couch. I mean... we can sort it out later tonight, but, I don't mind sharing with you, we have done it before."

The pair takes some time to get settled into the suite, Maria taking her suitcase to the closet to hang up the clothing she'd brought, and Elliott curiously exploring the various amenities and parts of the room.

As it neared three o'clock, Maria bursts into the seating area with a grin, startling Elliott who'd been cozily reading a novel.

"So, the reason I asked you to bring formalwear is because you and I are going to a venue tonight."

"A venue?"

"Yes!"

"For some kind of show?"

"Something like that. We've gotta be ready by five, so we can head down to the lobby to and get a taxi and head to the place."

"I can certainly manage that."

The next two hours are a blur of preparation. Maria takes everything she needs to the powder room, leaving Elliott to use the bathroom to shower and do whatever he may need to get dressed.

After stripping, the farmer focuses on her makeup, putting in a little more effort than she usually would- covering up her blemishes and faint scars from her months of work on the farm. She even puts on lipstick, something she never wears, though the color isn't too bold. Her hair, which had been air-drying since the morning, is a bit of a hassle but eventually he gets it tied up and pinned back in a more formal way.

Then comes her clothing. She exchanges her typical undergarments for strapless, form fitting ones that'll fit seamlessly beneath her form fitting gown, as well as tugging on nylon stockings. The dress itself is slipped on next, the long, deep blue fabric faintly shimmers in the light as it hugs her curves- though there is a slit on the right side for her leg to slip through. The gown is held up by thin straps that hang on Maria's shoulders, and the back of the gown dips low, exposing more skin than the farmer typically shows.

The final steps of her preparation are a pair of black heels, a silver bangle for her right wrist, and blue earrings to match her gown.

With a grin, she spins around in front of the full length mirror, admiring herself. "I clean up well," she giggles, placing her hands on her hips and giving herself one last once over before walking out of the room.

Back inside the bedroom of the prismatic suite, she digs through her suitcase before pulling out the small jewelry box that had the final accent to her evening wear- however, the sound of a door opening stops her from opening the box.

Elliott steps into the room, and Maria doesn't bother to stop herself from staring. He is dapper, even more so than he usually appears. His long, red hair has been slicked back into a low pony-tail, exposing more of the strong jawline the farmer's come to know and love. His overcoat is similar to the one he normally wears, though this one has coattails. It's fitted nicely to him, giving him a strong air of elegance.

And as she stares, the writer does the same to her, though he's not very subtle about the way he checks her out.

"Dearest, you look... absolutely gorgeous," he smiles, walking up to her besides the bed.

"I could say the same to you," she grins, "somehow even fancier than what you wear around the town."

Elliott chuckles warm-heartedly, lifting one of his hands to cradle Maria's face, "I appreciate the compliment, sweetness. But you... you put me to shame, as well as anyone else we may encounter. You are absolutely stunning. This dress suits you quite well... every movement makes it appear as though a sea of stars is dancing across your form."

The farmer blushes intensely, biting down on her lip, "you... you and your way with words, you better be careful speaking like that or it will make me fall for you more than I already have."

The two of them share a laugh, before she leans up to press a quick kiss to his lips.

"Would you mind helping me with the necklace?" she asks curiously as she pulls back, lifting the jewelry box up again.

He nods, and she opens the box to reveal the crescent moon necklace that he'd bought for her for her own birthday. Gently, he lifts the accessory out of the box and steps around so he's stood behind Maria.

She moves her hair out of the way, and a faint shiver goes down her spine as he reaches a hand around her neck to place the moon pendant on her neck before connecting the ends of the chain behind her.

"Does that fit alright?" he asks, his warm breath bouncing off of her bare skin.

"Y-yeah, fits perfect," she stammers without meaning to, flustered by his closeness, "c'mon, let's head down to the lobby."

Hand in hand, the pair leave their suite, excited for what the night ahead may hold for them.

...

Ooooo lil extra doodle of the pair in their fancy clothes:

Ooooo wholesome birthday content yayyy

As always, comments are super duper appreciate :3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.6K 377 16
you crinkle up your nose you really do hate the smell of bleach you don't know why but the smell reminds you of desperation and sadness you once agai...
1.4K 87 23
*** "You love me, right?" Half asleep he turned around and yawned half-heartedly. "I do." His words sent a warm feeling down my chest. But I wasn't q...
13.5K 458 10
"I-is that.. blood on you..?!" You stepped back, a horrified expression on your face you felt like you were going to puke. Your eyes look behind Seba...
1K 35 13
Elliott found himself in a small town looking for inspiration. Little did he know a farmer would come along, showing him love he never knew before. S...