A Mother's Touch

By Mad_About_Love

Finding an abandoned toddler, Aylee takes him in, only to find out he's one of UA's most promising young hero... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 Part 1
Chapter 8 Part 2
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 4

17.3K 556 113
By Mad_About_Love

Tomorrow wasn't any less hectic than Shoto's tense meeting with his father. Aylee sprints past students lingering in the halls with the 5-year-old wrapped in her arms. Their eyes follow the strange sight as the running pair burst into a classroom completely unannounced. The students shrug and walk to their classes leisurely even though the bell had already rung.

Aylee races into class 1A with Shoto held in her arms, he wasn't running fast enough to keep up with her. She is already late enough and didn't have time to walk at a slow pace this morning.

The class of 1A's mouths open in shock at the ragged-looking woman. It wasn't that she looked bad, but they are just so used to seeing her look put together and professional whenever they run into her. Aylee obviously had different priorities this morning other than professionalism in her appearance.

Her long brown hair is tied up loosely in a half up half down style with messy bangs and fly away hairs creating a halo effect around her face. Normally, Aylee would wear a buttoned-up blouse and dark slats along with a pair of plain ballet flats. And without fail, not a hair was ever out of place. Right now, her outfit is the epitome of comfort and relaxation. Keeping in mind what she needs to accomplish today, she put on a well-used clothing set that she doesn't mind getting ruined. Aylee is wearing a paint-splattered long sleeve crop top and a pair of grey sweatpants that definitely have seen better days. They were faded so bad they almost looked off white instead of light grey. Aizawa's eyes narrow in jealousy of her being allowed to wear pajamas during the day. But he couldn't judge, he practically lived in his sleeping bag while teaching.

Though, not everyone is happy with her comfortable attire. Little Shoto notices some of the appreciative looks on his classmates' faces as they examine the woman's revealing clothing. Shoto glares at the prime suspects, Kaminari and Mineta. The inappropriate duo's mouths begin to drip drool onto the surfaces of their desks. The pervy pair flinch when they meet the icy stare that the 5-year-old shoots at them. If looks could freeze they would definitely be ice cubes right now. Mineta and Kaminari quickly avert their gazes to the ceiling before that could happen.

Finally, regaining some air into her lungs, Aylee quickly breathes out, "Aizawa, can you please watch him? I have an appointment that I can't reschedule and I need someone to watch him for an hour." Her hazel eyes plead at the exhausted man as she glances at the time on her wristwatch again.

"Get All Might to do it."

"He's doing hero work in another city."

"Midnight then."

"She called in sick today."

"What about Mic?"

The first years watched the two adults go back and forth, almost wanting to place bets on who would win. They're all practically on the edge of their seats waiting for the woman's response.

Aylee hesitates briefly before giving her answer, "Well I tried, but it didn't go very well."

~20 minutes earlier~

"Hey Yamada, thanks again for agreeing to watch Shoto for a bit."

"No problem Aylee! WE'RE GOING TO HAVE LOTS OF FUN TOGETHER! AREN'T WE LITTLE LISTENER!"

Shoto instantly bursts into tears from the loud sound and moves to hide behind Aylee's legs for protection. His arms tightly wrap around her knees and she can feel his little body shake in fright.

"Oh sorry, little man!"

"It's ok Yamada, he's just a bit more shy and sensitive than usual this morning. I'll try to find someone else available." Aylee huffs out impatiently.

Present Mic gives Aylee an understanding nod and holds a thumbs up at her statement. She definitely looks more stressed this morning and he can only hope that young Todoroki doesn't make things more difficult for her.

~Back to the present~

Aizawa grunts as if he could imagine how that conversation ended. His hand reaches up to rub at his dry eyes and looks to be praying for strength.

"Fine. Only if he behaves."

Aylee sighs in relief and gently places Shoto on the ground. "Thank you. I owe you one."

The woman leans down and kisses Shoto's forehead. "Be good for Aizawa-Sensei while I'm gone, okay?" She quickly moves to leave but freezes in place, literally.

"Shoto Todoroki remove this ice from me right now!"

The entire class is stunned when they spot the little boy's smirking face. Had he always been this devious, the class wonders to themselves?

"No."

"No, isn't an option here peppermint." Aylee tries to persuade the stubborn 5-year-old but Shoto isn't budging. He folds his arms across his chest and pouts. She breathes some calming air deeply into her lungs and looks at the time again before making her decision.

"Alright, you can come with me. But you have to promise me to behave yourself."

A smile replaces his previous pout and Shoto nods his head enthusiastically.

"Ok, now help me get out of the ice."

Orange and red flames suddenly burst from Shoto's left side. They are so high that they almost brush against the tiles on the classroom ceiling.

"Too much Shoto!" Aylee yells before Aizawa takes action.

The pro-hero reaches under his desk and pulls out an enormous red fire extinguisher. He aims the nozzle right for the uncontrollably flaming child.

Whoosh.

Whoosh.

Whoosh.

Whooossshhh.

Everyone looks at the white foam covered Shoto in surprise and disbelief. Since when did Aizawa have a fire extinguisher?

Aylee breaks the room's shocked silence, "Couldn't you have just used your quirk?"

"I've always wanted to use this." he blandly replies.

The woman rolls her eyes, baffled at what her life has turned into.

After cleaning up the foam, Shoto and Aylee arrive at her apartment building. They barely make it on time. "Okay, you can watch TV in the living room. But, please try to keep it down. I'll be in the studio with my client if you need me."

Aylee grabs the remote from the couch and switches the TV channel to Disney channel. She can only hope it will distract him long enough until they can return to UA. The woman also places some papers and crayons on the ground in case he wants to draw. Aylee prays that he doesn't write on her walls. She's already had to repaint a few walls in her apartment because of previous kids' overwhelming creativity.

Shoto sits with his legs crossed on the floor in front of the TV, entranced by its bright colors and the silly sounds from the commercials. Sure that he is fully settled, Aylee makes her way to her studio to set up in time for the nearing appointment.

She walks into the room and begins to light a few candles. She moves around the easels full of in-progress paintings to reach her messy and unorganized desk. Aylee sifts through the bulky stack of papers and notes, searching for the correct file she needs for today. Her hand reaches for the red folder and she tugs it out from the towering stack. Like ripping off a bandaid. Aylee holds it in the air above her head victoriously. Her victory dance is cut short when the other folders begin to sway from the sharp movement. The woman anxiously holds her breath, waiting to see if it would tip over. It's happened many times before and so often that she now keeps a tally in her sketchbook. The large stack of paperwork stabilizes itself and a relieved breath escapes from her mouth.

She opens the red colored file to briefly refresh herself on its contents but a sharp knock on glass interrupts her concentration.

Aylee jumps slightly at the sound and the open file drops from her grip. Multiple papers escape and letter the floor as she turns quickly to the window.

The brunette definitely did not expect to see a figure lingering on her fire escape. Swallowing a small scream, she takes a closer look at the figure outside her window. Her body immediately relaxes when recognizing him.

"It's open," her voice clearly calls out. As the man gracefully steps through her window, Aylee gathers up the fallen papers and reorganizes it before putting them back into the folder.

"Sorry about that. Didn't mean to scare you."

"No problem, pro hero Hawks. You just surprised me by coming through my window instead of the door. But, I guess I should have anticipated that from the winged hero." The crimson feathers on his wings flutter a little at the acknowledgement and Hawks studies the small woman in front of him. She isn't exactly who he expected to be meeting.

She gives him a cordial smile as she lets him adjust to his surroundings and analyze her. All the heroes did this when meeting her. She can't really blame them for always remaining on guard and ready for any attack.

"I was under the impression that the mysterious A. Lee was a man."

"What led you to that conclusion?" Aylee asks him without judgement, just genuine curiosity in her voice.

"Well, I talked to a man on the phone yesterday."

"Oh, that was my assistant, Kaito."

"You have an assistant?" his blond eyebrows raise in question.

"Yes, I caved a few months ago after getting so many painting requests. I couldn't keep up with my hectic schedule and needed some help. Anyways, please come in."

"Thank you again for seeing me on such short notice."

Aylee shrugs nonchalantly at his words and waved her hand in the air, "No problem, one of the other heroes forfeited their spot."

"Really? That's surprising. Everyone has been dying to get on the waiting list for months."

Hawks' golden eyes lower and glance at the burn handprint mark on the front of her neck. He notices that it looks inflamed and swollen as if she recently got injured.

"Yes, that's partially why they are listed under my alias."

"I get that. Privacy is a rare thing these days." She flashes him a strained smile and points behind him.

"Please have a seat."

Hawks turns around and sees a small sitting area that has a small couch and a cushion back chair with a small table beside it. The hero sits down on the couch and situates his wings so they are comfortable. Aylee walks over to the chair and places her materials on the table.

"Ok let's get started then."

Before she can even sit down, a small and timid knock raps on the studio's door. Hawks' expression remains patient but curious as Aylee turns to face him with a worried look on her face.

"I'm so sorry just give me one second."

She quickly speedwalks over to the door and opens it slightly to see Shoto standing patiently on the other side with his stuffed polar bear under his arm.

"Is there something wrong sweetie?"

Shoto doesn't give a verbal response to his caretaker's question. The boy just looks past Aylee and continues to stare at Hawks with no emotion shown on his face. The pro hero notices Shoto's intense stare and makes his way over to the pair.

"Hey, little man wanna give me five" Hawks raises his gloved hand up in the air with a smile on his face. Shoto gives no reaction and doesn't make any move to give the friendly hero a high five.

Noticing that Shoto wasn't in the mood to talk to strangers Aylee decides to step in. "I'm sorry Hawks, he's just really shy around unfamiliar people currently."

Hawks nods in understanding as he looks at the silent child, "That's ok, another time then." The hero walks back over to the couch and sits down. His gold eyes remain trained on them as he observes the two from a distance.

Aylee kneels down on the floor to be level with her charge, "Peppermint did you need something?"

Shoto looks straight at Aylee's face as he hands her a folded up white sheet of paper. The woman takes the hint and unfolds the piece of paper to find a colorful picture. The drawing was of him and her holding hands and a big heart encircling the image. "Did you draw this for me?" she asks the boy with a smile. Shoto takes in her pleased smile and nods at her question. She wraps her arms around him and hugs him close to her.

"It's amazing peppermint! I love it. Why don't you put it on the fridge? There should be some magnets on it. I want to look at it every day."

Shoto has his eyes closed and is smiling while being hugged. But, his mismatched eyes snap open and he glares at the pro hero who is watching them closely. Shoto lips turn into a frown when Hawks only looks amused and not intimidated by Shoto's mean glare.

"Ok, now go on while I finish up with Mr. hawks ok."

Aylee ends the hug and kisses his forehead before he walks away to the kitchen. She watches him leave before shutting the door again.

Hawks' throat-clearing breaks her focus and brings her back to the moment. "Cute Kid. Yours, I assume."

"Oh no. I'm just caring for him for a while. Ok, back to business."

"Right."

The adults sit back down and she places a notepad and pen on her lap. Hawks studies Aylee as she tries to adjust in her seat and get comfortable. Every minute in her presence makes him even more curious about her. But, curiosity can be a dangerous thing if it reigns unchecked.

Aylee breaks him out of his thoughts. "So, do you have an idea in mind of what you're looking for or a specific battle scene you would like to include?"

Hawks straightens on the couch as he says, "The hero commission I work for.."

But, her serious voice cuts him off, "I'm going to stop you right there."

Hawks freezes in place at her interruption and even his wings don't move under her somewhat unnerving stare. His heart begins to quicken at the sudden shift in conversation.

She looks to be thinking about what to say for a moment before opening her mouth.

"I work for companies or corporations. I started doing this because heroes inspire me and I want to show my appreciation and respect for them in the only way I know how. By painting. I'm not interested in what your commission wants this painting to look like. I want to know what you want it to be. And what you want the public to see from you in this."

After her explanation Hawks is shocked by her bold words. No one ever really talked to him like this before. But her statement makes the hero go silent and turn inwards to search for what he really wants the world to see from him. Not the public image the hero commission has built and structured for him. Aylee remains silent and allows him a moment to consider what she said and she hopes he takes it to heart. Right as she is about to suggest something Hawks begins to speak.

"I want all of Japan to see me as something I never am," he says with a sense of determination.

"And what is that?" Aylee asks with an encouraging look on her face. Hawks looks directly into her hazel eyes and quietly says.

"At ease"

Getting flustered from the unwavering eye contact Aylee directs her gaze to the notepad in her lap and uncaps her pen. Her hand moves swiftly across the page making sharp lines as the pen scratches ink onto the paper. Hawks studies her hand movements and the small scrunch of the woman's nose as she concentrates. It was like a bunny and kind of cute to watch.

"Ok, I can do that. The only problem is that all of the reference photos I have of you are either blurry because of your incredible speed or no offence they are unflattering press photos." The woman doesn't look up at him as she says this and misses his wings droop and a fiery blush dot at his cheeks.

Hawks manages to push down his embarrassment in time for her to reveal the sketch to him. His eyes rove over a close-up image of hawks on a roof looking over a city with his feathers shifting in the wind and his eyes blinking lazily. She is definitely talented if she can do this in a few short minutes he thinks to himself.

"How are you making it move?"

Aylee's lips quirk into a small smirk at his shocked reaction, "My quirk involves illusions. That's how my paintings shift or change scenes or even contain sound."

"That's a very useful quirk. If you don't mind me asking. Why didn't you try to become a hero?"

Aylee remains quiet but shifts uncomfortably in her seat.

"I never gave it serious thought other than possible hero names as a child. And as I got older, I got in with the wrong crowd, made some bad choices, learned from them, and changed my whole life. I guess it's selfish but, I had to save myself instead of saving others." She looks down at her lap as she answers his question. She was unsure of what his reaction to her response would be.

"That's not selfish. I see how good you are with kids and while it's not a conventional hero role I definitely couldn't do some of the things required to take care of a tiny human life."

Aylee's head whips up in surprise at his sincere tone and she gives him a bashful smile. His smile widens in response and his feathers fluff up under her attention. Not that she really noticed.

"Since I look like an ugly chicken in my photos, I think I can help fix that."

The woman looks at him and nods her head in thanks. "Ok, what do you have in mind?"

The hero just smiles as he asks, "How do you feel about heights, ms. lee?"

And he studies her expression as her skin pales considerably and a horrified look flashes across her face.

All she can think of at this moment is, 'What did she just get herself into?'

Author's Note: Sorry for not updating in a while but I actually have a plot planned out now and I think this story will be maybe 12 chapters-ish. So expect more in the future. I wrote this last minute so I definitely know there are some mistakes, let me know if you see any. Also, I am starting school soon so updates won't be as often but I'll try to once/twice a month. A special Thank you to everyone who commented and saved this story. 

Disclaimer: I do not own anything of the My Hero Academia universe, manga, characters, tv show, movies, etc. This is just for fun.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

979K 16.9K 42
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
343K 22K 86
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
121K 3.6K 27
a paige bueckers story.
262K 6.3K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc