Loving Him Is Pink -- Bede x...

By xXWinter_SkyesXx

Bede, the new Fairy-type Gym Leader, is invited to visit the Isle of Armor along with countless other gym lea... More

Island Vacation -- Bede
Forest Training -- Avery
Love At First Trample -- Bede
He Did WHAT?! -- Avery
Dish Duty -- Bede
Caved In -- Avery
Caved In 2 -- Bede
Confessions -- Avery
Avery, Teleport! -- Bede
Agreements -- Avery
Epilogue -- Avery

Loving Him Is Pink -- Bede

49 1 3
By xXWinter_SkyesXx

We spent a few more days on the island, waiting for Avery to get better. Sure enough, his powers came back, but incredibly slowly. At first, it was just things flickering with the aura of psychic energy, and eventually he started to lift small things like pencils and Pokeballs. Of course, he was overjoyed at the prospect of being able to lift things with his mind again, and he made it known by joyously lifting another student and spinning her around and around until she became sick.

Hyde ran many tests on Avery and tried to get him to teleport again, but no matter what he did, he couldn't. After Honey discouraged him from threatening him with one of his welding tools, she decided that the teleportation was a one-time thing, and he shouldn't be pressured to try it again. Avery gratefully agreed.

As the day of the Gym Leader's departure drew closer, we both kept to the agreement we'd made; neither of us told anyone else what had happened in the caves, even if Klara's begging was unbearable. But everyone knew something had happened; we had stopped arguing, and didn't even speak to each other. Heck, we avoided eye contact at all costs. Clearly, inconspicuous wasn't really our thing.

Finally, the day we were supposed to leave arrived. I had my bags packed, and everyone was making their way to the train station. After breakfast, the students said their goodbyes, some swapping phone numbers with Marnie and the younger Gym Leaders, and Raihan was taking selfies with everyone. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Klara making Piers swear to call her more often, and giving bear hugs to everybody else.

Honey had insisted she escort us to the train station instead of Klara, lest she get bored and leave us stranded halfway there. When we finally left the Dojo, I half-hoped Avery would be among the many faces who bid me farewell, but he wasn't anywhere to be found. Actually, when I really thought about it, I hadn't seen him all morning. Where could he have gone?

We trekked through the Fields of Honor, passing many Pokemon like Buneary and Jigglypuff wandering through the tall grass. When an Abra suddenly teleported in front of me out of nowhere, I remembered Avery's Alakazam, and was instantly given the painful reminder that he wasn't here. Why do I care so much, anyways?! I thought bitterly. It's not like I enjoyed kissing him, or anything.

"It's strange how Avery didn't show up to see us off," Opal commented like she had read my mind. "Yes...." I agreed slowly, and my stomach sank even further.
"I do wonder where he could have gone," Honey mused. "He doesn't usually leave the Dojo before the sun comes up, but no one's seen him since last night."
"How very peculiar," Opal said, smiling at the ocean sparkling in the sunlight.

We made it to the train station just as the cabs were starting to arrive. The Corviknight's metallic cries pierced the still morning, and their heavy wingbeats sent loose objects and fallen leaves flying everywhere. I helped Opal into her carriage with Kabu, and watched as it took off into the sky. My driver was late to arrive because of turbulence, so I had to wait a little while longer.

I was about to ask Milo if I could share the taxi with him, when the faint smell of a strange spice stopped me. It was warm and friendly, and bore a slight resemblance to cinnamon, but sweeter and less concentrated. Mixed with the clean scent of freshly cut flowers, I turned too late and realized Avery was running towards me across the surf.

He skidded to a stop in front of me, taking a second to catch his breath. Once he finally got it again, he turned to me. There was a moment of awkward silence as we both stared at each other, not saying a thing. Everyone else had gone already, so it was just us, with nothing but the sound of the waves breaking over the beach.

"I apologize for not being able to see you off earlier," he finally broke the silence, fiddling with his glasses. "I completely lost track of time; it was like I was under Hypnosis."
"Okay...." I said slowly, slightly eager for the driver to arrive and rescue me from this horrifically awkward scene.

With his tiny speech already said, Avery had lost his composure and was absentmindedly messing with his hair. I really liked the way it swayed every time he moved, and how it looked like liquid gold when the light shined on it just right. And I could only imagine how soft it was.....

Flushing, I snapped myself out of my fantasy. The last thing I needed was to entertain unreal scenarios of myself and him. "Um," he mumbled, taking his hat off and fiddling with the edge. Before he could say something, though, the carriage dropped down in front of us with a gentle thud.

"Hello, Mr. Bede!" The driver greeted us with a giant grin. "Sorry we're late. Air traffic's been terrible these days! You ready to go?"
"Y-yes," I said, struggling to keep my composure with a red face and heart pounding in my ribcage. Either the driver was polite enough and pretended not to notice, or he couldn't see my crimson complexion through his goggles.

As I stepped up to enter the carriage, a sudden hand closed around my wrist. "I-erm, I wanted to give you something before you left," Avery muttered, pink in the face. His towering hat had been forgotten in his off hand, and he refused to make eye contact with me. Was he....nervous? Never in a million years would I have expected THAT. Swiftly, he pulled me closer and pressed a quick kiss to my lips.

Even if it only lasted a second, it felt like heaven. Instantly, my body was abuzz with the same tingly feeling as before. Though I will say, his kisses tasted a lot better after a few days practicing decent oral hygiene. He harshly shoved something into my free hand, and then swiftly pulled away.

Stooping down, he gave an elegant bow accentuated with a few flicks of his hat, put it back on his head, and just as quickly as he had come, he disappeared, running down the beach yelling, "Avery, Teleport!" Old habits die hard, I guess.

I slowly climbed into the carriage, my head swimming in a lovestruck daze. A giant grin had spread across my face, and it wasn't until the island was almost entirely out of sight that I noticed what Avery had given to me. It was a Love Ball (the dork), weighty in my hands, and when it gently wiggled around, I made the conclusion that there was, indeed, a Pokemon inside it. Then, I noticed the note taped to the side.

I figured I should get off my high Ponyta and apologize, it said in a looping, elegant font. Definitely Avery's handwriting. But what's that supposed to mean, anyways? I wondered. Tenderly, I opened the pink pokeball and gasped as the Pokemon inside shot out.

It was a Comfey, with a gorgeous string of tropical flowers strung into a wreath, which it placed around my neck with a high-pitched giggle. I loved the sweet scent of the flowers, combined with a strange, citrusy scent I couldn't quite name; it was intoxicating. Comfey was overjoyed to see my smile, and turned a few somersaults in the air before alighting on my shoulder. Gently gesturing to the wreath, I noticed one of the flowers on there was a folded, pink piece of paper.

Letting Comfey take it off (its touch was much softer than mine, and I didn't want to hurt the flower chain), it handed the blushing origami blossom to me and asked to be returned to its capsule. Complying, I slowly unfolded the delicate creases, trying to remember the pattern when I inevitably wanted to refold it.

To my surprise, the flower was made with multiple pieces of paper, each layer of delicate petals nestled inside each other like nesting dolls. On the rosy parchment was a handwritten note, and it took me a while to decipher the intricate, delicate scrawl. Finally, after at least five minutes of staring, I figured it out.

Bede. If you're reading this, then you have undoubtedly received my gift. I hope you like it.

In truth, I didn't know what to say originally when I started to write this letter. I have never been a romantic, nor excelled in the intimate aspects of relationships, and I daresay you can agree with me on both points. Broadcasting my emotions to others has never been my specialty, and I must confess that I have never been good at recognising other's emotions unless they tell me flat out.

However, after taking time to Meditate on the events that have transpired within our short time together on the Isle, I believe that many things have changed. I can only hope that my feeble words do not Imprison my true emotions.

From the moment Rapidash nearly trampled you (not my finest hour, I must admit), I was transfixed on you. The confident demeanor, the quick-wittedness and sharp tongue that had such a way with words it left me spellbound. In a way, I saw a kindred spirit; someone I could look at and see myself, in certain physical attributes and intellectual prowess. Of course, when I heard that you had abandoned Psychic types to pursue Fairies under Miss Opal's guidance, needless to say, my reaction was certainly less than mature.

I suppose I was angry at first, what with training to become the Psychic Gym Leader and all, but over time I realized that perhaps it was better that you had left them behind; Ballonlea has never had a finer Gym Leader. Besides, I think we can both agree that two stubbornly prideful Psychic-type experts would be too much for one region to handle.

Then, of course, there was our time in the caves. I know you said that the affection displayed was in a moment a weakness; perhaps it was. Perhaps it was only a brief fling. Perhaps you didn't mean to kiss me back, and perhaps it was a mistake that I insinuated it in the first place. Though, I must admit, I did not feel like I was making a mistake in the moment.

My breathing hitched as I read the last few paragraphs, and my heart started to beat faster and heavier in my chest.

I wasn't leading you on when I said I showed interest in masculinity. I meant it. I have no interest in women, nor feel the need to pursue any if I do not feel attraction to them. And if you were to feel the same way about the same gender, myself in particular, and allow me to further pursue my desire, I would be the most grateful man in all of Galar; the entire world, even.

If not, I give you full permission to tell me off and stop me. The last thing I wish is for you to feel like I am, at any time, forcing myself onto you. Though, if you must reject me, please be gentle when you use Heart Stamp. As much of an honor it would be to be dumped by you, I don't think I could handle it if you let me down that harshly.

I wasn't ashamed to say that his sweet words melted me, from the icy coating around my heart to my stiff form in my seat. Everything in his letter felt so real and honest it made me sigh in contentment when I read it over again, and picturing him saying the words to me in person filled me with delight. Then, after a good few minutes of just reading his words over and over, I noticed a tiny bit of scrawl on the bottom of the paper, and finished reading the letter.

I hope you reach out soon with your response.

—Avery

Next to the note was a string of very significant numbers, along with an absolutely adorable doodle of a Galarian Slowpoke with a heart above its head. Such a dork, I smirked as I traced my fingers over his name, and the tiny little note below it.

PS: The Comfey is a male. And, before you ask, no; I did not fold this origami flower out of my own ingenuity. Klara helped me.

After a little while, I released Comfey and let him refold the paper flower and restring it on the chain around my neck, and I simply watched the ocean pass by below me until the mainland of Galar was in sight on the horizon.

I think I finally realized what Opal meant when she talks about the 'pink' she insists everyone shows her that day. It isn't how much pink color you have in physical attributes, or what color your clothes are; It's the emotional character of a person. Snark, kindness, loyalty, cunning. And, right now, one emotion kept pounding in my ribcage, and made me smile every time I thought of it.

I guess that means loving him is 'pink'.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Scholar By ☆

Teen Fiction

1M 40.4K 30
[COMPLETED] [Warning: Strong language used throughout the book.] He put his hand over my notebook and the other over mine. I glared up at him, his go...
883K 24.1K 56
Baba- This is soon to be Alpha in the Blue Moon Star's. After he finds and claims his mate that is. Baba is straight with a girl wolf. His birthday i...
121K 2.8K 34
Credit to the artist who drew that Bede art. "Shut up, be glad I went easy on you instead." -Bede You are Y/N L/N, you took on the gym challenge in t...
1.1M 49.7K 66
This story is complete ✅ Casey is a nerd, but the charming, cute type. He evades college parties like the plague. Who knew he would accidentally jump...