✓ Heavenly

By demetersdoom

you have aroused my anger and turned your back on me ✶ Harry Potter / Order of the Phoenix - Deathly Hallows More

Angel face, devilish thoughts. . .
000. The Death/The Birth
Part One: Blink from a Universal Eye
001. Just Like Astrid
002. Parental Guidance
003. Hogwarts Express
004. Ministry Interference
005. Poison Ivy
006. Eye To Eye
007. Heavy On My Mind
008. Defense Against The Dark Arts
009. Eyes Of The Ministry
010. Mind Over Matter
011. Little Sister
012. Lovegood
014. Nothing Special
015. Law Of Attraction
016. Life and Death, Good and Evil
017. When Push Comes To Shove
018. Halo Model
019. Only In My Dreams
020. Hog's Head
021. The High Inquisitor
022. In The Fireplace
023. Halfbreed
024. Dumbledore's Army
025. No Such Thing
026. Heavens And Back
027. Absolute Power
028. The Voice In The Void
029. Girl Interrupted
030. St. Mungo's
031. A Single Cry On Christmas
032. Valentine's Day
033. Kindred Spirits
034. The Tiger and The Tigress
035. The Plunge
036. In Control
037. Department of Mysteries
038. Beyond The Veil
039. Guardian Angels
040. Judgement Day
Part Two: A New World Order
041. Revelations
042. Holy Terror
043. Lazarus Rising
044. Venus Black
045. No Rest For The Wicked
046. Coconut Vanilla
047. House Of Cards
048. Dumb Luck
049. Teenage Dream
050. 'Tis The Season
051. Light And Dark
052. Nobody Likes A Bitch
053. God's Grace
054. Trouble In Paradise
055. Kiss And Tell
056. Lightning-Struck Tower
057. Time Will Come
058. Getaway Angel
059. Life After Death
060. Until Hell Freezes
Part Three: Drunken Gods of Slaughter
061. Universal Law
062. Angels On The Line
063. Resurrection Alone
064. Stairway To Heaven
065. Always A Bridesmaid
066. The Ministry Has Fallen
067. September First
068. Teenage Rebellion
069. Target Of Tyranny
070. Malfoy Manor
071. Fight Or Flight
072. On The Other Side
073. Angel Not On Earth
074. Room Of Requirement
075. Commencement
076. The Battle of Hogwarts
077. Only The Dead Have Seen The End
078. Value Of Life
079. The Human Heart
080. How We Survive
081. Who Wins The War
082. Epilogue / After the Storm

013. I Must Respect My Superiors

6.5K 258 63
By demetersdoom

Part One / Chapter Thirteen

Venus felt anxiousness wash over her after knocking on Umbridge's office door. It was a worse feeling than when Andromeda caught her stealing cauldron cakes past her bedtime, or when she'd accidentally filled Tonks' room with mockingjays that tweeted the lyrics to We Are The Champions. This was much worse than those fear-inducing circumstances, most likely not as horrifying as an upset Aunt Andromeda.

Umbridge said, "Come in," in a sugary voice. She entered cautiously, looking around.

The surfaces were all been draped in lacy covers and cloths. There were several vases full of dried flowers, each residing on its own doily, and on one of the walls was a collection of ornamental plates, each decorated with a large technicolor kitten wearing a different bow around its neck. It was disgustingly pink, Venus' mouth set in a hard line. She and Harry stared at the kittens on the wall, transfixed, until Professor Umbridge spoke again. "Good evening, Mr. Potter, Ms. Rosario."

"Evening," Harry said stiffly.

"Good evening, Professor," said Venus as sweetly as she could, fighting the urge to hurt the woman.

"Well, sit down," she said, pointing toward two small tables draped in lace beside which she had drawn up two straight-backed chairs.

"Er," said Harry, without moving. "Professor Umbridge? Er — before we start, I-I wanted to ask you a . . . a favor."

Her bulging eyes narrowed. "Oh yes?"

"Well I'm . . . I'm on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. And I was supposed to be at the tryouts for the new Keeper at five o'clock on Friday and I was— was wondering whether I could skip detention that night and do it — do it another night . . . instead . . ."

Venus silently cringed, surely knowing that Umbridge wasn't going to let him off detention for Quidditch. She wouldn't let him off Detention if he he suddenly sprouted antennas.

"Oh no," said Umbridge predictably, smiling so widely that she looked as though she had just swallowed a particularly juicy fly. "Oh no, no, no. This is your punishment for spreading evil, nasty, attention-seeking stories, Mr. Potter, and punishments certainly cannot be adjusted to suit the guilty one's convenience. No, you will come here at five o'clock tomorrow, and the next day, and on Friday too, and you will do your detentions as planned. I think it rather a good thing that you are missing something you really want to do. It ought to reinforce the lesson I am trying to teach you."

Venus felt like a prisoner being coached to a dementor. Professor McGonagall was right about treading lightly around Dolores Umbridge. But Venus didn't care what she reported back to the Ministry. She cared about what was going through her sick, demented head.

     Umbridge was watching Harry with her head slightly to one side, still smiling widely, as though she could read his thoughts. With a massive effort, Harry looked away from her, dropped his schoolbag beside the straight-backed chair, and sat down. Glancing over at Venus, who'd already taken her seat; quill in hand.

"There," said Umbridge sweetly, "we're getting better at controlling our temper already, aren't we? Now, you two are going to be doing some lines for me. No, not with your quills," she added, as Harry bent down to open his bag, looking at Venus' quill in her hands.

"You're going to be using a rather special one of mine. Here you are." She handed them two long, thin black quills with unusually sharp points.
"I want you to write ' I must not tell lies, ' " she told Harry softly. "And for you dear, I want you to write 'I must respect my superiors' "

"How many times?" Harry asked, with a creditable imitation of politeness.

"Oh, as long as it takes for the message to sink in, " said Umbridge sweetly. "Off you go."

Even with the immense amount of sweetness in her voice, that sentence never sounded more sinister. Venus raised the sharp black quill and then realized what was missing.

"I don't have any ink," she said.

      "Yeah, mines doesn't have any either," Harry added raising his quill slightly.

"Oh, you won't need ink," said Professor Umbridge with the merest suggestion of a laugh in her voice. Extremely unsettled with the woman's off-putting words, Venus placed the point of the quill on the paper and wrote: I must respect my superiors.

She let out a squeal of pain. The words had appeared on the parchment in what appeared to be shining red ink. At the same time, the words had appeared on the back of Venus' left hand, cut into her skin as though traced there by a scalpel— yet even as she stared at the shining cut, the skin healed over again, leaving the place where it had been slightly redder than before but quite smooth.

She felt tears sting her eyes from the pain; biting the bottom of her lip harshly attempting to stop a cry from escaping her mouth. Venus looked around at Umbridge. She was watching them, her wide, toadlike mouth stretched in a smile. "Yes?"

"Nothing," said Harry quietly. He was impressively hiding his pain, looking back down at the parchment, placing the quill upon it once more.

"You're crazy!" Venus burst out into tears dropping the quill onto the parchment. "This certainly cannot be allowed."

"I suggest you keep quiet and continue your lines, Ms. Rosario," Umbridge's voice was losing its sweet accent.

"Why? Why shouldn't I get up right now and tell Dumbledore what you're doing to us?" said Venus standing up halfway from her seat. Harry had a horrified look on his face; the first emotion he'd displayed since stepping foot into the office.

"Because Ms. Rosario," her voice was bitterly cold now, Venus felt the hairs on her arms stand, "We have information at the Ministry that will certainly guarantee you. . . unpleasant circumstances, Ms. Rosario."

"Like what? My birthday?" said Venus sarcastically.

"More like your birth parents, Ms. Rosario. Now, continue with your lines before this escalates further than it has to, for your own sake."

Venus didn't like the threatening tone coming from Umbridge. She gloomily looked back at her parchment. Pangs of fear and the throbbing pain provoked the tears that brimmed her eyes to fall down her cheeks.

       She picked up the quill and wrote I must respect my superiors, and feeling the scorching sting on the back of her hand; the words cut her wound open, the wound healing only seconds after. She stifled sobs and held her breath in terror.

       A small weep escaping her lips. Even if it was out of her sight, she felt Umbridge smile at the pain she was inflicting. Harry hadn't cracked; he wrote over and over again. Not even a gasp escaping his lips. Venus wished she was as resilient as him, but her soft whimpers escalated into repressed wails.

Harry held his right hand out to Venus' left, taking it gently. The words slicing open their hands, but Venus didn't flinch at the pain anymore; his touch eased the discomfort quite a bit.

       They held hands until darkness fell outside Umbridge's window. The two did not ask when they would be allowed to stop. Only grasping the other's hand tightly when the pain reached an extreme.

       Venus knew she was watching them for signs of weakness and Harry wasn't going to show any, not even if he had to sit here all night, cutting open his own hand with this quill. Venus, unfortunately, was silently breaking down next to Harry. Dried tear stains smudging her cheeks, painted over by new streams of tears that trickled down her face.

"Come here," she said, after what seemed hours.

They stood up. Her hand was stinging painfully. When she looked down at it she saw that the cut had healed, but that the skin there was redraw. It was the first time she'd looked at it, Venus didn't feel a need to when Harry's hand was entwined with hers underneath their desks. "Hand," Umbridge said.

They extended their wounded hands. She took them in her own. Venus shuddered as she touched them with her thick, stubby fingers on which she wore several ugly old rings. Umbridge nodded. "Tut, tut, I don't seem to have made much of an impression yet," she said, smiling. "Well, we'll just have to try again tomorrow evening, won't we? You may go."

They left her office without speaking a word. The school was quite deserted; it was surely past midnight. Venus broke down into pained sobs, clutching onto her hand. She collapsed into Harry's arms. He felt her tears damping his robes, but he didn't complain. After a few minutes, her cries had seized. She sprung up from his chest, flustered and embarrassed.

"I'm okay," she whispered. "I'm fine."

"No, you're not, Venus," remarked Harry. "And that's fine after what she just did."

"I said I'm fine!" Venus shouted. Harry stepped back. "I'm sorry— I— er. I need to go to sleep."

Venus deserted Harry in the corridor sprinting to the portrait of the Fat Lady. Venus clutched onto her bleeding hand. Harry was right about one thing: she wasn't fine. But he didn't need to know that. She'd confide in him when hell freezes over.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

【 AUTHORS NOTE! :

Venus and Harry tryna keep it together in detention while their skin is being cut open repeatedly for hours:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.2K 148 21
My requests are open! I will do anything! This story will contain: Fluff and angst. Please do not hesitate to give me requests! I hope you enjoy!
1.4K 24 6
maybe i'm afraid of you. harry potter. order of the phoenix - deathly hallows. fem!oc x male!oc.
133K 3.2K 138
⚠️READ AT OWN RISK, THIS WAS ERITTEN WHEN I WAS 14 😭⚠️ NIGHTMARE || ❝ - I've gotta recognise the weapon in my mind - ❞ 【 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘥...
20.1K 1K 14
𝗜𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗮 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗹, 𝗶𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝗽𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗝𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗲 𝗣𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲...