Meet You There

By lrm2323

Iris - a girl with a broken heart and a lot of pain from past events - is moving back to Virginia for her sen... More

Meet You There - Chapter 1
Meet You There - Chapter 2
Meet You There - Chapter 3
Meet You There - Chapter 4
Meet You There - Chapter 5
Meet You There - Chapter 6
Meet You There - Chapter 7
Meet You There - Chapter 8
Meet You There - Chapter 9
Meet You There - Chapter 10
Meet You There - Chapter 11
Meet You There - Chapter 12
Meet You There - Chapter 13
Meet You There - Chapter 14
Meet You There - Chapter 15
Meet You There - Chapter 16
Meet You There - Chapter 17
Meet You There - Chapter 18
Meet You There - Chapter 19
Meet You There - Chapter 20
Meet You There - Chapter 21
Meet You There - Chapter 22
Meet You There - Chapter 23
Meet You There - Chapter 24
Meet You There - Chapter 25
Meet You There - Chapter 26
Meet You There - Chapter 27
Meet You There - Chapter 28
Meet You There - Chapter 29
Meet You There - Chapter 30
Meet You There - Chapter 31
Meet You There - Chapter 32
Meet You There - Chapter 33
Meet You There - Chapter 34
Meet You There - Chapter 35
Meet You There - Chapter 36
Meet You There - Chapter 37
Meet You There - Chapter 38
Meet You There - Chapter 39
Meet You There - Chapter 40
Meet You There - Chapter 41
Meet You There - Chapter 42
Meet You There - Chapter 43
Meet You There - Chapter 44
Meet You There - Chapter 45
Meet You There - Chapter 46

Meet You There - Chap 47

124 7 33
By lrm2323

Chapter 47

I texted Bennett before I went to bed. The next day, I would  wake up an adult. Eighteen. So, I figured I had to do this now.

   I JUST NEEDED TIME TO THINK.

   My phone buzzed only a few minutes later.

   OKAY. I GET IT. IM SO SORRY.

   He had already told me he was sorry. More than once. In my heart, I knew he was. I knew that he hadn't been the one who had done anything wrong - besides the fact that he didn't tell me right away. I had to figure out if I was okay with that or not.

  DO YOU WANT TO COME OVER TOMORROW? I asked him, finally.

  YES, OF COURSE, YES. SEE YOU IN THE MORNING?

  OKAY.

"Happy birthday!"

   My eyes went wide as I walked out into the living room the next morning, a bit after 9A.M. I hadn't exactly slept well and I was feeling nervous to see Bennett. Yes, it was my birthday. And I'd been expecting to go out for dinner with Caleb and Fox. But I hadn't been expecting the balloons, the streamers and the confetti. Not to mention the yelling.

   Caleb was laughing now, likely at the sight of my expression. Fox was smiling, and clapping her hands.

   "Wow," I managed to say. "Thank you."

   "We figured you deserved a real birthday celebration," Caleb told me, coming over to hug me.

   I hadn't had a true birthday in a few years. The last one was spent alone in my bedroom, wishing I'd never gone to California. My heart break was still fresh. My dad tried, he really did, but he didn't know how to make it better. So he bought an ice cream cake and brought me in a piece in the evening. I remembered thanking him, but that was it.

   The year before was when I had just arrived in California. It was just my dad and I that day, too, but we had gone out for tacos and ate cake that evening. We hadn't been together in over and year and we were just trying to figure each other out. I didn't have any friends yet.

   So now, being with Caleb and Fox felt so right. Especially since they had done all of this for me.

   "Thank you," I said again, crossing the room to hug Fox, too.

   "Did you talk to Bennett?" she whispered to me, before pulling away.

   I nodded quickly, then looked at Caleb again and noticed he was wearing an apron.

   "I'm making pancakes and bacon," he grinned, turning to go back to the kitchen. "Also, we made a reservation at Pop's for dinner!"

   I looked back at Fox and raised my eyebrows.

   "He loves celebrating birthdays. And he's missed a lot of yours," she told me, squeezing my arm. "So, Bennett?"

   "Um, I texted him last night. I invited him over today," I told her, keeping my voice quiet.

   "I'm sure there will be lot of breakfast," she grinned, nudging me.

   I nodded, and sat down on the couch, pulling out my phone.

   CALEB IS MAKING BREAKFAST, IF YOU WANT TO JOIN US.

   Fox smiled at me again and left the room, to see if Caleb needed any help.

   It seemed like Bennett was staring at his phone, waiting for a message from me. I WOULD LOVE TO, he sent right back.

   OKAY, COME OVER WHENEVER, I sent back.

   I missed him, and I realized it as soon as he showed up at the door a few minutes later. It had been almost a week and I felt silly for not letting him talk to me sooner. Ignoring his texts all week hadn't done any good - I was still happy to see him when he stepped into the apartment.

   "Iris, I'm -" he began, but I didn't need him to say it again.

   I wrapped myself around him, laying my head on his chest. Fox was right. There was no reason to throw away all of that time we had spent together, getting through everything, and waiting for him while he was in rehab. I had done all of that for a reason. Bennett was special, and we were good together.

   I was able to forgive him, because I felt relieved that he was there for my birthday, not angry at him. I knew he hadn't kissed her - he was just too nice to leave her there in the lobby, crying. He was too good to yell and kick her out after she - stupidly - kissed him. I knew Bennett was good.

   The four of us ate an amazing breakfast together and Caleb didn't question why Bennett was there, or why he hadn't been around the previous week. We were okay. I wanted to spent the rest of my time in Charlottesville with him.

   "I have a surprise for you," Bennett told me, when we were done eating. He had already loaded the dishwasher and cleared the table, for Caleb.

   "You do?" I asked, curious.

   He nodded, grabbing my hand. I followed him down to my bedroom, shutting us inside. He pulled me over to my bed and we both sat down.

   "I'm so glad you invited me today," he said, half smiling. "God, I missed you. I would do anything to go back and -"

   "Bennett, it's okay. I... I realized that throwing away what we have now would be stupid. We still have a month..."

   "Yeah?" he asked, grinning now.

   I nodded. "I was just triggered, and it hit me hard. But I know you didn't... you wouldn't..." I let my voice trail off.

   "I wouldn't," he agreed. "I love you."

   I smiled, laying my head on his shoulder.

   "So, happy birthday," he said, moving a bit to pull something out of his shorts pocket. He held out a small box with a lid.

   "Bennett..."

   "Open it," he insisted.

   I took the box into my hand and pulled off the lid. Inside was some tissue paper. Underneath was a ring - simple, silver, beautiful.

   "What? Are you serious?" I asked him right away.

   Smiling, he nodded. "Just so you know I love you and I'm committed to you."

   "I love it," I said, already slipping it on my finger. It fit perfectly. "I love you, too."

   He looked so relieved. "You saved me, Iris."

   I leaned in to kiss his cheek. "Well, you helped me realize that I wasn't broken anymore."

   We had dinner at a nice restaurant that evening with Caleb and Fox. Bennett sat close, holding my hand under the table, sneaking kisses when he could. Back at the apartment again, we tucked ourselves under a blanket and watched a movie, just like we always did.

   We carried out my summer plans, for the most part. We went to the beach. We went to one Wolfcub show, an hour away. We watched a lot of movies and spent a lot of time kissing and... more. We really did enjoy our month together.

   I was not able to forgive Maribella, and that was okay. It was mistake, yes, but not one I was willing to forgive. I hoped I would be able to think back on our friendship and remember how she was there for me when I didn't have anyone else.

   Bennett didn't get a ceremony or a party, but he got to pick up his high school diploma once he finished summer classes. I was proud of him for working hard to graduate. Caleb ordered pizza that evening and we celebrated Bennett and pigged out.

   I had no idea what would happen when I left for New York. Maybe Bennett would miss me too much and find a way to follow me there. Or maybe he would love his new job, get his own place  and we would drift apart. Or maybe we would fall somewhere in between.

   There were so many things we were unsure about, for the future. But we knew what he had was real and it was worth fighting for, which is what we had done over the past eleven months, already.

   "Get going," Bennett whispered in my ear, the last week of August.

   Caleb and Fox were in Caleb's truck, which was filled with my stuff. Bags and boxes of what I had accumulated since I'd lived with Caleb.

   Bennett and I were standing on the sidewalk, trying to say goodbye. The day before, we decided not to drag it out. But, of course, we were. I wanted another hug, another kiss. I was looking forward to being in New York, out on my own. But leaving Bennett behind wasn't easy.

   "I love you," I told, for the hundredth time that morning.

   "I love you more. You're going to be amazing." He smiled, and was holding back tears.

   "I'll video chat you tonight. Every night. Okay?" I asked, hoping, praying it would be.

   He nodded, then kissed me one last time. "I'll meet you there."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 8.2K 51
They say Junior Year of College is the hardest, but for Iris, it's for new beginnings. It's never too late to live your dreams, which is precisely w...
174K 5.8K 37
Pennie, an 18-year-old orphan, is a girl who turns out to be the long-lost heiress of IRIS, the biggest & most successful aviator empire in the world...
101K 2.1K 46
Nora Rodriguez, The first born daughter,the responsible child,who is forced to put her siblings before herself.The daughter who's dad left a long tim...
25K 1.9K 45
You're given 0.7 seconds to decide what to do when the most popular boy waltzes up to you and starts throwing pick up lines at you. What would you ch...