Right Place, Right Time

By ConstantStar

"Please help me..." Harry Styles was about a foot away from me. Famous, gorgeous, lovely, somewhat stressed l... More

Story Of My Life
No Control
Ready To Run
One Way Or Another
Once In A Lifetime
Moments
She's Not Afraid
You And I
Change My Mind
Night Changes
Where Do Broken Hearts Go?
I Wish
Kiss You
Bad news good news
Right Now (excerpt)
Something Great
Better Than Words

Another World

26.1K 723 1.2K
By ConstantStar

So, I haven't updated for a while, but I do have a good excuse. I was lucky enough to get to go to Sydney for OTRA so I have been a bit preoccupied (understatement!!!!) All I can say is... wow. Just WOW.

The guys were amazing (such incredible live singers, unlike some other people I could name) and Harry in particular was outstanding. His interaction with the crowd was a joy to behold - he spent the whole time waving to fans, blowing kisses, mimicking people... the guy is a born entertainer and oozes charisma from every pore. And his energy... wow!! Plus it was 34 deg C (that's 93 deg F). As Niall said, it was a sweatbox in the stadium, but it didn't stop Harry bounding, leaping, dancing and shimmying all over the place. He's a legend.

Watching him in action will hopefully prove very useful when it comes to writing some future chapters, he was so inspiring. Now I just have to stop looking at my photos and videos (even though they are pretty rubbish), and get writing!

I followed Paddy and Harry into a huge garage area inside the stadium where several large trucks were parked. They went through a door, and down a long corridor, and I had to walk very fast to keep up with them. We turned a corner and found ourselves outside a lift. Paddy pushed a button and the doors opened straight away.

"You're getting changed, right?" he said to Harry as we stepped into the lift.

"Nope, no time," said Harry. "I'm going like this. It'll give the kids an extra thrill."

"Your call," shrugged Paddy.

"I'm going to put the head on when I go in the room so it will be a surprise when it turns out to be me." He turned to me. "Emma, would you mind introducing me as Susie Squirrel from the Enchanted Forest?"

"Uh, sure," I said. Was that all he wanted me to help with?

"Thanks." There was that smile again. I actually understood what it meant to go weak at the knees.

The lift doors opened and we were in another long corridor, although unlike the previous one, which had concrete floors, this one was carpeted. Harry and I followed Paddy down the passage way for a short distance and through a set of double doors into a large lobby.

"They're in a room through there," Paddy said, pointing to another set of doors.

Harry pulled on the squirrel head, and then held out his hand towards me.

"Emma, can you help me out?"

"Of course." I was only too happy to hold on to his arm and guide him. Paddy opened the doors and we stepped through into a room full of people. They all turned to stare, and I suddenly felt nervous. Everyone was going to wonder what the hell was going on.

A big guy standing near the door, who looked suspiciously like a bodyguard, walked towards us, a frown on his face. Fortunately Paddy was next to me, and he gave the guy a thumbs up sign to let him know it was okay, we weren't loony gatecrashers.

"Introduce me as Susie please," Harry said under his breath.

"Uh, ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, I'd like to introduce you to Susie Squirrel from the Enchanted Forest," I said, in as loud a voice as I could muster.

There must have been at least 100 people in the room, gathered around five tables. There were several kids in wheelchairs and a few with crutches or calipers. Lots of parents were standing around taking photos on their phones, and at the table closest to us I spotted Louis Tomlinson, a very puzzled look on his face.

"Hello everybody," called out Harry in a squeaky voice. "It's nice to be here today. How is everyone?"

"Fine thank you," called out a couple of children at the closest table. I looked around the room, and saw Liam Payne and Zayn Malik, who were sitting at separate tables surrounded by children, exchanging looks. They were clearly wondering what the hell was going on. At one of the other tables, Niall Horan was frowning.

"It's nice to be here and see you all, and to see One Direction. Hi to Louis, and Niall, and Zayn and Liam."

He started waving in random directions around the room, because of course he couldn't see where they were.

"But where's Harry?" he asked.

"Not here," called out a couple of girls near the front.

"Oh, that's a shame - he's my favourite!" Harry said.

"Ours too," chorused the girls.

"Now, I wonder where he could be," said Harry, still using the high-pitched voice.

"Hmmm. What if it turned out that he was actually here after all?" With that he reached up and in one quick movement, pulled off Susie's head.

That was the cue for loud screaming. One very frail looking young girl leapt up out of her seat and ran over to Harry, throwing her arms around him. Harry bent down to hug her, and she planted a big kiss on his cheek.

Niall also got up out of his chair and rushed over.

"Harry mate, thank God you're all right," he said, throwing his arm around Harry's shoulder when he stood up. "I've been so worried."

"Me too," said Louis, appearing by Harry's side and giving his arm a squeeze.

"You had us all thinking you'd been ripped to bits by manic fans or else kidnapped," said Liam, walking towards Harry. "Mind you, it does look like you've been held hostage by Alvin and the Chipmunks. Nice outfit, mate."

Zayn went up to Harry and gave him a hug.

"Your hair looks like shit, man," he said.

"Thanks lads, nice to see you too," grinned Harry.

"Sorry I'm late everyone," he said, addressing the people in the room. "I found myself in a... umm... tricky situation earlier today when I got trapped in a mall and was worried I wouldn't make it here.

"But thankfully, I was rescued by the lovely Emma here," he said, turning around to look at me. "In case you're wondering, Emma is an elf from the Enchanted Forest, and she managed to get me to safety."

All eyes turned to me, and I was conscious of how weird I must look in my hideous work outfit.

"No trouble - just call me Elf and Safety," I quipped.

Harry laughed at that, and then winked at me. He walked over to me and handed me Susie's head. "Could you hold this for me please?"

Then, lowering his voice so nobody else could hear, he added, "And don't go anywhere."

I did exactly as I was told. I stood at the side of the room watching Harry and his band mates from One Direction as they sat at tables around the room chatting to a variety of kids, and I wanted to keep pinching myself. This was really happening. There was Niall signing a young girls's leg cast with a flourish, and Louis ruffling a little boy's hair. Zayn looked like he was deeply absorbed in what two girls with bald heads were telling him and Liam appeared to be singing to a teenage girl in a wheelchair.

And Harry... well, Harry had pulled a small girl with a breathing tube in her nose onto his knee and was giving her a big hug. As he did, he looked over her shoulder and straight up at me. Our eyes met, our gazes locked and I felt a sudden jolt, like I'd just stuck my finger in an electrical socket. Then he broke into a lovely smile that warmed my insides, before pulling his eyes away and turning back to the child on his knee.

Oh my God, that was intense. Did Harry Styles really just look at me like that? Maybe he gave everyone looks like that. Maybe I was reading too much into it. I looked away, watching the other members of One Direction. But my eyes kept getting drawn back to Harry. How was it possible for one person to be so hot? And so nice?

The boys were moving from table to table so they got to spend time with all the kids, and when Harry moved to a table at the back of the room where I couldn't see him easily it was almost a relief because it meant I could relax for a while.

At the table closest to me, the small girl with the breathing tube in her nose posed for photos with Zayn, then got out of her seat and walked over to me, her mother trailing behind her.

"Is it true that you rescued Harry?" she asked.

I crouched down so I wasn't towering over her.

"Well kind of. He was in a bit of a pickle and I helped him out. Then I drove him here."

"Thank you so much," she said. "It wouldn't have been so good if Harry wasn't here. He's my favourite."

"He's mine too," I said, giving her a wink.

"He let me sit on his knee, and he hugged me," she said.

"Lucky you, I wish I could do that. I'm jealous," I replied, and meant it.

"Can I have my photo taken with you?" she asked, nodding towards her mother, who was brandishing an iPhone.

"Uh, I guess so." I wasn't expecting this, but if it was what she wanted...

I stayed crouching, and she stood next to me, her arm slung over my shoulder. Her mother took ages framing the shot but finally took it. I was just standing up - my knees were getting sore - when I looked up to see Harry striding towards us.

"Hey, can I get in the picture too?" he called out.

"Yes please," grinned the little girl.

"It's Jessica, isn't it?" he asked.

"You remembered!" she exclaimed, clearly delighted.

I was impressed he'd remembered too. There were lots of kids here.

"How could I forget?" he grinned at her. "I see you've met Emma."

"Your elf is really nice," said Jessica. "But she's jealous because I got to sit on your knee and get a hug."

Great. Thanks Jessica. I felt my face turning red with embarrassment.

Harry just laughed. "Is she now? Well, if she behaves herself, I'll see what I can do." There was a playful gleam in his eyes as he spoke. I had to look away before my face started resembling a tomato.

I crouched back down next to Jessica, and Harry did the same on the other side of her, so that we framed the little girl between us. As her mum was setting up the shot, he shuffled a little closer to me, and reached behind Jessica to put his arm across my shoulder.

"Okay, shall we say cheese?" he asked.

"No," said Jessica. "Squirrels say nuts."

Harry burst out laughing just as Jessica's mum took the photo. "I think we should do that again."

I called out "Nuts!" at the same time as Harry and Jessica and smiled at the phone, feeling the weight of Harry's arm on my shoulder. When the photos were done I started to stand up, and felt his fingers brush against my neck as he pulled his arm away. Goosebumps rippled down my spine.

The other guys were making their way to where we were standing, and waving at the kids as they went.

"Nice to meet you all," called out Liam.

"Be good," said Louis.

"Thanks for coming," called out Harry.

They all waved, then started to move towards the door, shepherded by their security guys. I picked up my bag and put it over my shoulder, then stood still for a moment, wondering what I was meant to do. Then Harry reached out and put his hand on the small of my back. "Come on, you're coming with us," he said, guiding me towards the door.

Niall came over to us and patted Harry on the shoulder. "I really am pleased to see you. God, that was scary. I really thought we were in serious trouble at that shopping centre."

"Me too," said Harry. "Are you OK?"

"Yeah, I was fine once Paddy got me out and I could breathe again," said Niall. "It was horrible for a moment there."

"Yeah, it was insane - the worst it has even been. I'm pleased you're all right. I feel bad about Preston though."

"Yeah, me too. Reckon we owe him a few drinks for this one." Niall leaned past Harry to smile at me.

"Thank you so much Emma for coming to Harry's rescue. Thank God you were there."

"My sentiments exactly," said Harry, smiling at me. "Emma's a star."

By now we were standing outside the lift, and when the doors I opened I followed Niall and the others in. Harry was behind me, his hand still on my back. It was very comforting but also a little overwhelming. Harry Styles was touching me. Deliberately.

It was a squash with all of us in the lift and I could feel the heat from Harry's body, encased in the furry Susie suit, as we stood just millimetres apart. I tried not to think about how close we were and concentrated instead on Louis, who was making everyone laugh by talking about some crazy fan mail he'd been sent. It was another one of those, 'I need to pinch myself' moments. I was squeezed into a lift with One Direction. Oh my God.

The doors opened and let us out into yet another corridor, but not the one Harry, Paddy and I had first walked down.

'This way,' Harry murmured in my ear, as the group of us turned left and walked to a door leading into a large room. Just inside the room were a bunch of black leather sofas grouped around an enormous TV screen, and sitting on them were several people, a couple of whom I immediately recognised from their photos on websites and appearances in YouTube clips. One was Harry's sister Gemma, who burst out laughing when she saw him.

"Bloody hell, Harry! What do you look like?"

Another was Lou Teasdale, 1D's hairstylist. "You're such a dork Styles," she said to him. "And look at the state of your hair."

"Thanks for all your concern," said Harry, sounding petulant. "I've had a traumatic day, ladies. I was almost ripped to pieces by hysterical girls, I had to hide in a broom cupboard and I've made a daring escape from a shopping mall dressed as a life-sized cuddly toy, and all you can do is tell me I look like shit. At least the lads were concerned that I made it out in one piece."

I could tell he was playing it up, and Gemma obviously could too.

"Oh Harry, we were concerned," she said, getting up from the sofa and giving him a hug. "And I'm glad you're okay. What happened?"

As Harry started to recount the events of the afternoon the other One Direction guys sat down on the sofas and a few other people in the room, which I took to be the green room, gathered around to listen. I was pretty sure a couple of them were members of their band.

When Harry introduced me as "Emma the incredible elf" I blushed and looked down at my feet. After he finished explaining how we'd got there he slid one arm around my shoulder and said, "Emma is the perfect woman. She's kind, she's clever, she's gorgeous and she drives like Lewis Hamilton."

I felt myself going red again. This was too much. Trying to downplay his words, I said, "You forgot to mention my brilliant dress sense."

"Oh yeah," he grinned. "I forgot to say that Emma's a really snappy dresser, and also that she has a great sense of humour."

"Well done, Emma," said Gemma, smiling at me. She was stunningly attractive in person, a very pretty female version of her younger brother. "Hey Harry, I need a picture of you in that outfit."

I stepped away from Harry to give him some space as he posed for the shots, some with Susie's head on. After three pictures he took the head off and said to his sister, "Emma's got to be in some of them too," and walked over to me.

He draped his arm over my shoulder and pulled me close. Gemma didn't have to tell me to smile, I couldn't help grinning from ear to ear.

"Send me the pix please Gem," said Harry. "I feel so lost without my phone."

Gemma turned to me. "Would you like me to take a picture of you and Harry with your phone?" she asked.

"Oh yes, please," I said, pulling it out of my pocket. We did more pictures smiling at the camera, and then Harry planted a big kiss on my cheek for a couple of others. His lips were soft on my skin and I felt a little giddy.

Stop it, I told myself. He's just a guy. Trouble was, he just happened to be a guy who was utterly gorgeous and very, very nice. I'd liked him before I'd ever met him purely on reputation alone, and I liked him a hell of a lot more now that I actually had met him, regardless of the fact he was famous. He was lovely.

"Right, I need to get out of this costume, I'm cooking in here," he said. "Uh, Emma, I was going to give it to you now to take back, but I really think I should get it drycleaned. I've been sweating quite a lot."

"I'm sure it's OK," I said.

"Honestly, I would feel better if I got it cleaned," he said. "I'll get someone to get it done urgently and deliver it back to the Enchanted Forest tomorrow."

"OK, thanks," I said.

So that was it then. If I wasn't needed to collect the suit from him then there was no reason for me to be there any longer. My encounter with Harry Styles really was over.

I turned to get my bag from where I had left it by one of the sofas. "Here are your clothes," I said, pulling them out. "It's been lovely meeting you, Harry."

"Oh," he said, looking a little bewildered as he took his shirt and jeans from me. "Do you have to rush off somewhere?"

"Ah, no," I said.

"Then why do you keep trying to leave?" His green eyes bored in to mine.

"I don't keep..." I began, then trailed off, remembering how I'd tried to say goodbye in the carpark. "I just don't want to outstay my welcome."

"Emma, you're the hero of the moment, in my eyes at least. You're not outstaying your welcome. In fact," he hesitated for a moment.

"There's something I need to ask you, " he said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41 0 24
There's no explanation about this story. It's a 1D fanfic!! Take a try and read it :)
4.8K 161 38
"Katie?" I heard is faint voice whisper. "Can we still be friends?" He continues. "Are you serious!? After everything we've been through?" I start wa...
5.1K 150 28
We need to stop this.' I told him... he stood up and he held my shoulders tightly, his eyes started to look at me with desperation. 'What? No! Nikki...
3.4K 76 30
His cuddly, soft image maybe showing but, what about the dark side of Harry Edward Styles?