ᴡᴀʟʟғʟᴏᴡᴇʀ

By sawvvy

❝He built himself the perfect barricade, and she brought with her, the perfect demolition tool❞ Introverted... More

WALLFLOWER
PLAYLIST & AESTHETICS
1 | Enclosed Specimen
3 | Reasonable conversation
4 | Numbers never lie
5 | Endgame
6 | Olive branch
7 | Wilted dreams
8 | Equal proportions
9 | Milestones
10 | Vintage galleries
11 | Varieties & Extremities
12 | We're not friends
13 | Periodic Table
14 | Someone else's battle
15 | Lounge Peak
16 | Daytime Witch
17 | Adult-napper
18 | Just a bite
19 | Peace offering
20 | Death Sentence
21 | Drunk Jenga
22 | Overdramatic
23 | Kitchen treason
24 | Secrets to spill
25 | Muse (Not)
26 | Willingly
27 | Non-date
28 | Next step
29 | Sticky Situation

2 | Reserved rudeness

216 84 94
By sawvvy

Woah! Who took a piss in Apollo's drink please?

The sun was damn hot like red-hots, sinking its teeth into my skin.

I could feel perspiration run marathons on my skin. It trickled down my scalp, feeling like a bowl of tick had been dumped on my hair.

I fought the urge to scratch and of course, I was so stupid to leave my picking comb in my car.

This is going to be one hell of an afternoon.

"Let's try one more time Brian," Wande grinned, pulling at Brian's tank top.

Honestly, she never got tired of playing, so far as, boys were involved.

Speaking of boys, one had been drilling holes down my back a while back, now he was no where in sight. I didn't get to see his face in full. I was only graced with a glimpse of his side view, and thankfully it didn't look like the face of a creep. Or maybe it was, but who knew.

I shook my head.

It was no big deal, getting the stares and the catcalls.

Not to be narcissistic I was a decent looking girl.

No, scrap decency.

I get a lot of heads turning whenever I walked into a room. And when I smile, it's game over.

The dimples did all the charming.

And then there's summer. Where attention zoned in on the pretty ones like bee would honey.

It was summer time. The fun filled weeks that opened the gates to messy hot flings and till-mama-calls parties, that one never got tired of.

But not to this girl. I could barely keep up with the pace teenage boys take when it comes to jumping in and out of relationships or whatever ship they found suiting. Though I was the hard and fun loving type of girl, I preferred a little slow paced thingy that bloomed into a romantic tale. One that, even if it were to be a summer fling, I'd hold close the memories I'd made.

Christ! Boys these days didn't even have it in them to indulge in something that simple, yet beautiful.

They couldn't even whip up a worthy breakup speech.

"Didi!" My bestfriend, Azra called out. Her always bored and wide eyes, staring at me like she'd rather be somewhere else than a beach, playing with boys. "Brian said he's on again. You in?"

Sending her a wink, I caught Brian and Wande staring at a particular girl, who was probably the next target in the truth or dare game we'd been playing for over an hour.

Once, they'd asked me to go tell a girl her hair was ugly and that cost me a few bills. And God-save-me, she was with her boyfriend. I wouldn't know the perfect excuse to feed my parents if I came back with broken limbs.

And who'd pick Naeto?

Oh shit! I cursed as realization dawned on me.

I'd forgotten I had to pick him up once it clocked three. He attended an all kids summer class that helped keep kids on track before school resumed.

Quickly and without paying any attention to my friends, I grabbed my sling bag and began stuffing in every of my belongings that was within my reach.

"Didi, your flat ass is up next!" Brian called out this time, and a little too dramatic, may I add.

"Sorry guys!" I called back, pulling on a jean short over my swimsuit. "Y'all have to carry on without me."

I glared at Brian. "I got a fat ass, not flat ass! Nitwit."

To that, he snickered like a jackass.

Wande was after me in seconds. "Seriously Didi, you can't just chicken out when the game just began."

I stopped, rolling my eyes at her annoying comment. "I have to go pick Naeto, I'm not chickening out anything. And you owe me a five, why would I chicken out of a well made deal?"

She kissed her teeth, which got accompanied by an eyeroll. "Fine whatever. Karen's party. You're getting snacks remember."

I couldn't pass off a chance at partying it up all night or in my permitted case, most of the night.

"Sure. Whatever." I turned to the duo staring at us in utter confusion. "You guys have fun. Az, tell Mami her fun daughter will be making a visit soon!"

Azra rolled her eyes with a small smile. "Sure! And please bring a textbook this time!"

In a jiffy, I'd found my car and was inside the bright yellow Hyundai, thinking of the fastest route to go to Naeto.

Naetonna, my Mother's joy and the apple of my Father's eyes. They'll rain down hell on Earth if I let him stay there a minute longer. I didn't want to think of him crying down heaven if I didn't make it on time.

About a few miles from the beach, my fucking car came to a halt. In the middle of a fucking driveway.

Letting out an enraged growl, I assaulted the damn car horn, causing nearby road users to stare at me crazy.

I was pissed as hell.

Last time I checked, Hyundai's were never capable of practicing witchcraft. Of all pranks to pull, it had to act up when I was in a haste.

Turning on the ignition again, I said a silent prayer, hoping that God would at least, slap some sense into the damn car.

But like a faulty radio, it cried out in protest before stopping.

Great! I huffed, taking off my seat belt. The devil was definitely playing spin the bottle with me at the moment.

I checked the half charged iPhone laying on the passenger seat. It read two-thirtyfive.

Fucking time! I huffed again, feeling my body begin to heat up out of frustration. It couldn't even slow down.

I dialled Brian's number. He was the only person whose car was available among my friends and the only person I trusted to get me out of the shitty situation I was in.

The rest of the crew, Karen and Kam were nowhere in sight. And as much as I found that pretty suspicious, I had little or no time to think about them.

Brian received the call after one ring. I managed a smile. I didn't depend on trash.

"Hey Bri! I need you like, urgently." I said as fast as I could.

"Be more specific Didibabes," he drawled out, obviously smirking. "Tell me what part of me you need urgently. There's enough of Brian to go round you know..."

Idiot. " I meant your car you fowl! I need your damn car to come pick me up. My car just broke down."

"Oh shit!"

Shit was such an understatement.

Laughter could be heard in the background. "Where are you?"

"At Coconut café. Wande wanted to grab a few bites."

I rolled my eyes. A little annoyed that they'd gone to the beach café after I'd suggested it over a thousand times while we were playing.

"I see." I responded dryly. My palms were getting wet. A sign that my nerves were springing up.

"You know what guy, we'll come get you, once we pick up what we want."

I let out a frustrated hiss.

"Chill, it won't take time. I'll let Azra drive."

That won't help matters. I groaned.

I needed to get going right away. And knowing Yewande and Azra, they'd have to hassle over who'd drive Brian's birthday new, Tesla and that alone might take up thirty minutes.

"Few seconds Didi. Chill out okay." Brian assured, ending the call.

I knew I was doomed. I couldn't even call an Uber. It would be as good as waiting for my friends to get here knowing the area well.

Too stuck in my thoughts, I didn't notice a black Rover pull up beside me.

The tinted glasses rolled down, bringing an oddly familiar face in view. I was still trying to figure out where I'd met him when he zoomed off in a flash.

Rude.

I'd had my fair share of male acquaintances, but couldn't place this one at all. The look on his face wasn't helpful either. It wasn't friendly and neither was it flirty, just a bored mask that looked like he could be anywhere but here.

I was still battling with my thoughts when he pulled back.

"You coming or what?" His equally bored voice asked. Calm and a little rough, like he rarely spoke.

Thank you sweet baby Jesus! I wanted to scream out a loud and clear 'YES' till my subconscious mind called me to order.

What if he's a kidnapper looking for body parts to sell off to some crazy politician?

This time, I really looked at him. He really wasn't that older than me. He looked just like any teenager that lives around with his neatly locked hair, light skin color, firm long nose and eyes that hinted that he didn't have the whole time in the world to take in everyone.

His skin and car said it all in capital letters. TRUST FUND BABY.

Nah, he didn't look one bit a psychopath.

Do they come with warning labels Didi?

I groaned out in frustration. Damnit Didi!

He bit his lips in annoyance, struggling to keep his glare in. "Yo, you coming in or what?"

"Wait," I said, an apologetic smile in place. "How did you know I needed help?"

I mentally face-palmed myself. Seriously Didi?

As if asking if I was legit okay, he stared at my abandoned car, then at my fidgeting hands before massaging his long fingers on his temple.

"You know what, damn the whole idea." He muttered.

He made to drive off and I remembered Naeto. I'd wasted more than enough time and who knows he might be bawling out his eyes at the moment.

"Wait!" I called and he paused, raising a well annoyed brow at me.

I tapped at the passenger door which he let open, making me help myself in.

The engine smoothly purred to life as we hit the road.

"Thank you." I muttered, loud enough for him to hear, when he didn't say a word.

And he just nodded.

Okay Didi, I think he really is a psychopath. He's really going to make a lot of money off your body parts.

I rolled my eyes at my unnecessary dramatics. Just shut up and don't jinx it!

"You didn't ask for my destination." I said when he just kept driving.

He slowed down, before briefly staring at me with a raised brow.

"For a minute, I thought you read minds or something." And when he didn't bat his eye, I gave him a small smile. "Kings Child Summer School please."

Yet again, he was silent as he typed into the screen of his google map.

"I'm Chidinma." I said for the sake of starting a conversation. "Friends call me Didi."

The strange boy didn't respond, rather, he increased the volume of the song lowly playing on the radio, causing Burna-boy's voice to fill the small space.

I huffed. That was outrightly rude. So what he was letting me hitch a ride?

Annoyed, I turned it off.

"What's your name?" I demanded.

He turned up the volume a notch. Just enough for me to hear his voice. "Not necessary."

At that point, my nerves were springing up and this time, it wasn't frustration. I was close to slapping the shit out of his head.

"Jeez, who died and told you, you were the shit?" I rolled my eyes at him, going further to increase the volume of the radio, not before seeing a ghost of smile appear on his lips.

He turned down the volume, glancing at me for a split second, before maneuvering the car into another path.

"Somadina."

I snorted, increasing the volume of the afro-beat song before resting back on the comfortable leather seat.

Who really died and told him he was the shit?

The car smelt like new leather and a comforting feminine scent. I mused, as I shut my eyes, waiting for him to take me to Naeto.

•••

Relieved, I didn't bother picking up my sling bag as I practically jumped off the car.

All I was intent on doing was finding a crying Naeto.

My eyes landed on him sitting at a corner. His wide eyes searching around, probably for me or Mum.

I smiled, feeling my heart melt slowly. Baby boy was growing up. He wasn't crying. Just sulking and maybe, hungry.

I felt my legs take long strides to where he sat and when he saw me, his eyes lit up with pure joy, face breaking into the most adorable smile ever.

My heart welled up with pride.

"Nae Nae!" I cooed as he threw himself into my arms. I scooped him up, raising him high and causing fit of giggles to leave his mouth.

"Dee Dee!"

"Awwww, how's my Nae-baby doing?" I cooed, leaving a bunch of kisses on his fair and blemish free skin.

"Good good!" He declared proudly and when I put him down, he walked with me. "Dee Dee, my Auntie give me homework."

I ruffled his curly hair. "It's gave baby. Let's get you home then we'll talk about your homework over cookies."

He cheered at the mention of cookies, causing me to grin. He was just a bundle of joy.

"You love cookies?"

"Yesss!" He cheered, before halting.

It took me few seconds to realize he was probably searching for my car. I sighed, the cursed car!

"Don't worry Nae Nae, we'll use this one." I assured, pointing at where the strange Somadina boy packed his car.

It was still a shock he hadn't thrown my things out and zoomed off.

Naetonna held tight my hand as we approached the car. And, like he saw us heading towards him, Somadina surprisingly opened the back door for us.

Thanking him with a smile, I led Naeto into the car, but he refused to let go. That was when I realized that there was no baby-seat for him.

Guess we have a problem.

Not wanting to waste anymore time, I shut close the door and headed for the passenger seat with Naeto.

Somadina who was confused as I settled in with Naeto on my laps, raised a brow at me.

He really did have a limited vocabulary.

"I'm sorry, he's not familiar with your car yet." I explained. "I guess he is scared."

He nodded. If he understood, he didn't say a word as he secured the door.

"Address?" He asked as we drove off the school compound.

"Let me."

After putting in the address, I settled back again with a surprisingly quiet Naeto, thinking he'd just drive off. But he turned to me- no to Naeto, a bright smile on his face.

There was a shyness to his innocent smile and a hesitation to his body movement, as he freed a hand.

"Hi?" He waved at Naeto who hid his face on my chest.

"I'm Soma, what's your name?" He asked, this time his voice was devoid of rudeness.

He really has a case of reserved rudeness.

Naeto peeked out of his hiding place, before hiding back.

I rolled my eyes at his adorable act.

Way to be a man Naeto.

While Somadina just shook his head, the smile still on his face before taking his focus back to the busy road.

"What's his name?" He asked, eyes not straying from the road.

Before I could reply, Naeto's tiny voice beat mine.

"It's Nae Nae." He nothing but bragged.

His four years old head, now resting on my chest as he faced Somadina.

Taken aback, Somadina let out an easy chuckle. An act that transformed his face into a breathtaking picture.

His face. It reminded me of sunset on a Polaroid camera. Of a busy and happy night at the beach. It was that breathtaking.

He bared his knuckles at Naeto. "Hi Nae Nae."

Naetonna stared at his balled fist for a second, while I was left to stare at their interaction.

He balled his small fair hand and bumped it with Somadina's big fair ones, followed by fit of giggles before hiding back on my chest.

Somadina chuckled again, his focus now solely on the busy road.

"He's cute."

•••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.3K 3.1K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...
23.4K 811 25
{Currently being edited, if it becomes unpublished i'm just writing more in the chapters and would be published again soon} Knowing what to do with y...
The Progress By gone

Teen Fiction

3.3K 675 27
Somewhere, surrounded by a seemingly impenetrable blockade of trees lies a summer camp. Its name: 𝐂𝐚𝐦𝐩 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬 and its goal: 𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙨𝙚...
3.6K 905 70
" Olivia, I liked you from the moment you hiccuped your way into my life. It's funny really but it's the truth. I also wasted a lot of time and this...