Winner Takes All

By braedencoxauthor

Jordyn Rivers. Twenty year old soccer player with a mouth of a sailor and an attitude that would give Regina... More

I N T R O
C H A R A C T E R A E S T H E T I C S + A / N
P L A Y L I S T
Chapter One ✘ The Real World
Chapter Two ✘ Jersey Chaser
Chapter Three ✘ Number 08
Chapter Four ✘ Bitchzilla
Chapter Five ✘ Golden Boy
Chapter Six ✘ Hungry Hyena
Chapter Seven ✘ One Man Show
Chapter Eight ✘ Vitamin D
Chapter Nine ✘ Personality Of A Pickle
Chapter Eleven ✘ Wildebeests
Chapter Twelve ✘ Jinxing Abilities
Chapter Thirteen ✘ Jacey
Chapter Fourteen ✘ Poseidon's Offspring
Chapter Fifteen ✘ Human Punching Bag
Chapter Sixteen ✘ Whack-A-Mole
Chapter Seventeen ✘ Fast & Furious
Chapter Eighteen ✘ Downfall
Chapter Nineteen ✘ Finders Keepers
Chapter Twenty ✘ Devil To My Saint
Chapter Twenty One ✘ Package Deal
Chapter Twenty Two ✘ Knight In Shining Armour
Chapter Twenty Three ✘ Deal's A Deal
Chapter Twenty Four ✘ Marine Vampire
Chapter Twenty Five ✘ Magic Word
Chapter Twenty Six ✘ Sinners
Chapter Twenty Seven ✘ Withdrawals
Chapter Twenty Eight ✘ Missing In Action
Chapter Twenty Nine ✘ Toothpaste Advert
Chapter Thirty ✘ Damsel In Distress
Chapter Thirty One ✘ Strawberry Shortcake
Chapter Thirty Two ✘ Baywatch
Chapter Thirty Three ✘ Therapy Session
Chapter Thirty Four ✘ Frenemy Fuck Buddies
Chapter Thirty Five ✘ Hotel Transylvania
Chapter Thirty Six ✘ Lethal In Red
Chapter Thirty Seven ✘ Smudged Lipstick
Chapter Thirty Eight ✘ Rite Of Passage

Chapter Ten ✘ Monthly Expense Of WhiteClaw

63.6K 1.5K 1.4K
By braedencoxauthor

"When I'm gone, you say you want me near
You look me in the eyes,
Say that we will stay for life."
All The Lies - The Vamps

The on-campus Starbucks is always bustling, and today is no different. I'm at the cashier, grabbing my usual drink of a peanut butter protein smoothie, leaning against the counter waiting to pay.

My eyes wander around the room, first going to a guy who's cramming over some textbook, gulping down a huge iced coffee with whipped cream. I yearn to be able to drink something like that, but Coach has put me and the boys on a strict diet. Nothing that's not healthy may pass our mouths.

Looking away from Coffee Dude, a giggle of laughter draws my attention to where my friends and the other bunch of girls are sitting at. Micah has his arm around the brunette, Bella. Kai is animatedly talking to the fairy-like blonde with blue eyes, Faith. The twins are pouring over a phone with Thalia and Ty. My eyes finally go to Jordyn, who's sitting in the window seat, arms crossed over her chest, her head resting against the back of the booth. Her eyes are closed, and her breaths are slow.

The sunlight streaking through the floor to ceiling windows is making her hair look like waves of gold, pulled up into a messy bun that has no business looking so good on her.

She's a fucking sight to see. Too bad she's a bitch.

If that mouth of hers didn't exist, I would've bagged that by now.

This is so fucking annoying.

I don't even know why it is, but it just is. Why am I getting all bothered because of a random freshman?

Letting out a huff, I divert my attention back to the cashier, who's now handing me my drink. I pass over the cash, and shoot her a smile of thanks before sauntering over to the table. I can't help but purposely slam my wallet down on the marble countertop rather loudly as I take a seat, waking Jordyn up with a start. From the corner of my eye, I can see her scowling at me. I hide my grin by taking a gulp of my shake.

Annoying her is fucking fun.

"What are we talking about?" I chirp, looking over to the rest of the group.

"Body count." Bella rolls her eyes, giving Micah a side eye.

I chuckle. "Micah's body count is longer than our monthly expense of WhiteClaw. And trust me, we drink that shit alot."

Micah snorts in response. "As if you're not a fucking human bunny. He fucks like it's his religion."

I throw him the middle finger playfully, grinning.

"Hey Jords? Body count?" Ty asks, leaning forward curiously.

She shrugs indifferently. "I don't keep count."

"A bunch of lucky guys, eh?" Ty teases, and Jordyn's lips lift up in that devilish smirk of hers.

The devilish smirk that I find so fucking hot, despite myself.

"Who says it's only guys?"

Instantly, everyone's attention is on her, but she keeps grinning. Curiosity blossoms in me, and I try to look uninterested, but I'm all ears.

"Like.. was it a onetime thing?" Micah tilts his head at her, asking the question in my head for me.

Faith laughs. "She's bisexual."

My eyebrows shot up in surprise as Jordyn nods in confirmation.

"Girl, same." Thalia grins, reaching over to high five Jordyn.

"Nice," Jordyn whistles, an easy smile settling on her lips as she leans back on her seat again. The conversation shifts over to something else, and I try to keep my full attention on it, but my eyes can't help but glance over at the blonde girl sitting across from time to time.

•               •             •

"Jensen! Watch your goddamn footwork!"

Coach Bradshaw's whistle screeches, echoing through the indoor court. Since the comment isn't directed at me, I keep playing, dropping onto a defensive stance as I block Micah, who currently has the ball. Keeping my eyes locked on his movements, I lift my hands over my head, blocking any chance for him to shoot the ball.

Micah tries to step sideways, but I anticipated his move, so I manage to steal the ball from him, dribbling it as I sprint down the court towards my team's hoop, dodging the opposing team as I go for a layout, slapping the ball cleanly into the hoop.

The buzzer goes off just as the ball swishes through the net, and my team cheers. Coach blows the whistle, signalling for us to gather around him. I clap Micah's shoulder, throwing him a teasing wink as the whole team makes a semi circle around Coach Bradshaw. He talks about the practice match we played just now for a few minutes, pointing out mistakes and areas for improvements.

"One last thing before I dismiss you," Coach clears his throat. "As most of you probably already know by now, the girls soccer team will be using our facility for awhile. I expect you boys to treat them with respect, no fucking funny business here, alright? One mess up and you're suspended from a game."

He looks around at us sternly, and I look around at my teammates, as just like I expected, they're all sporting mischievous grins. I hold back a chuckle.

"I'm not kidding around here, you hear me?" Coach adds, glaring at Brian, who let out a little snicker. He then turns to me, and I push all signs of amusement off my face.

"Parker. You're team captain. Keep your boys in check. If someone messes up, you're going to be held accountable too."

I nod firmly. "Yes Coach."

We're dismissed after that, and everyone advances to the locker room. A quick shower later, I meet up with Ty, Kai and Micah to go back to our shared apartment. We always ride my car, unless the two of them come from somewhere else. Then, Micah takes his bike or Ty takes his own car. Kai doesn't have a car because he wrecked his a few months back, the careless prick. Our apartment is a fifteen minute drive from college, and I'm pulling up in the parking lot shortly after 6:00pm.

"I'm fucking starving." Ty grumbles as we make our way into the lobby, and into the elevator. Micah presses the button for the 25th floor, the highest in the building.

"Same," I grunt, shouldering my duffel bag. "Pizza?"

"Unless Ty feels like cooking us something, yeah." Kai grins, nudging Ty.

Ty's the only one who can cook decently from the three of us, which comes in real handy during game reason when we can't eat fast food.

"Hell no. I'm whipped. Pizza it is." Ty grumbles, throwing a scowl at us.

Looks like we'll have to break Coach's diet rule for tonight.

"Bet, pizza's on me then." I shrug, and the elevator doors open to the long hallway, the door to our apartment at the end of it, and we step out. God knows why they made this hallway to be so ridiculously long when we're the only ones on this floor. Figuring it was some luxury apartment kinda thing, I fish the keys out of my pocket, unlocking the door and letting us in.

Micah flicks the lights on, and our penthouse apartment illuminates. The place is huge, with glass replacing most walls, looking out into the Californian skyline, polished hardwood floors and black interior.

It certainly doesn't look like a place four college guys would live in, but all our parents pitched in, and it's no secret that our parents are rich. Everyone on campus knows it, the professors know it, the people that watch us play basketball know it. The apartment was given to us with a hefty discount because Kai's dad owns the complex.

It's not something I'm arrogant or cocky about, though. I'm cocky when it comes to lots of things, but my parent's money isn't one of them. Simply, because it's their money, not my own hard earned money, and also because I know the hell my dad put me and my sister through to get to this point now where he's stinking rich.

The penthouse has two floors, kitchen and living area in the first and our rooms in the second. I follow Ty up the stairs, telling him I'll order the pizza soon before stumbling into my room. I switch the lights on, dumping my bag on the floor and kicking off my shoes. My bedroom also has a wall of glass, boasting a gorgeous view that provides one of the best sunsets and sunrises all the time.

Sighing, I fall back on to my black duvet, pulling my phone out of my pocket. I promised Mom I'd call her today, and if I don't do it, she'll probably call me while I'm sleeping.

She picks up a few rings later. "Jace, hey honey!"

"Hi Mom. How are you?"

"I'm good darling. How was practice?" Her perky voice and cheery attitude lifts my mood slightly.

"Gruelling." I groan. "My muscles ache."

"Aw baby. Make sure to keep a warm towel against wherever's hurting if it keeps going okay? Or let Coach know."

"Yeah, I will. Where's Freya?" I ask, referring to my twelve year old sister.

"Your sister is at dance class." Mum pauses, and I hear shuffling. "She'll be back in an hour or something."

"Tell her to call me when she can, yeah? I miss that little devil."

Mum chuckles. "I will honey."

A quick silence follows, and I hear her exhale, like she's contemplating whether to say something. I already know what she's going to ask.

"Do you want to speak to Dad?"

Bingo.

"No, Mum. I'm tired. I can't deal with his questions right now." I rub my cheek, closing my eyes.

"Jace, he just wants what's best for you."

"Oh yeah? Criticising every move I make and finding fault in every single thing I do constantly isn't wanting what's best for me."

Mum sighs. My dad and I have never seen eye to eye, ever since I was a kid. She knows this, and still tries to make us best friends. It just won't happen.

"Jace..."

I sit up, shaking my head. "Mom, I have to order some food for me and the boys. I'll talk to you later okay?"

"Okay honey. I love you." I hear defeat in her voice, and guilt prickles in my stomach, but I ignore it.

"I love you too. Stay safe, and tell Freya I said hi, okay?"

"Okay darling."

Mom hangs up, and I drop the phone on my stomach, feeling ten times more drained by those few minutes of discussing my father than I did from three hours of practice.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.2M 542K 55
"You just have no idea." His voice was thick with restraint. "W-what," I breathed. His gaze flicked to my lips as his thumb stroked again. The call...
16K 353 26
"He should never have hit you, but winding him up like that..." "Like what? Talking about being your partner, working with you, spending time with yo...
26.8K 1.9K 94
"I look into his eyes and it's a never-ending sea of green that pulls me in. I can't find my way out, I'm lost in his eyes and it's the greatest feel...
957K 18.8K 53
{COMPLETE} Bayside University Book 1 After giving up her virginity and getting dumped in the same night Loni Davis is done with men, relationships, a...