Second Chance

By AtishrahWahi

Dev and Mahi. Practically strangers to each other. Their mothers, not so much. They are the best friends. Bot... More

Chapter 1 New House
Chapter 2 New Housemate
Chapter 3 Old and New Friends
Chapter 4 Party is in Session
Chapter 5 Her Past
Chapter 6 His Past or His Confused Feelings
Chapter 8 Forgiveness or Relief from the Pain
Chapter 9 New Revelation
Chapter 10 First Crush or Something Else
Chapter 11 Stirring New Tensions
Chapter 12 Her Choice or Another Triangle
Chapter 13 His Promise
Chapter 14 'It was a Mistake'
Chapter 15 'I Love Her'
Chapter 16 "I'll Wait"
Chapter 17 Repulsive Encounter
Chapter 18 Concerned, more than Curious
Chapter 19 A Nightmare or a Glimpse into Her Past
Chapter 20 A Partial Confession, Yet Enough?
Chapter 21 A Cheesy Romance with a Disappearing Act
Chapter 22 The Ex Factor
Chapter 23 A Story of a Girl
Chapter 24 The Talk
Chapter 25 The Kidnapping
Chapter 26 The Return and The Reunion
Chapter 27 The Vacation: The Last The First and Many More to Come

Chapter 7 Her Confused Feelings

5.3K 261 2
By AtishrahWahi

'I am not here to apologise on his behalf. No. You won't be getting that from me. I can assure you,' said Ekta. She came to meet Mahi when Dev wasn't home. 

After Mahi confronted Dev in his office, she didn't see Dev for the next couple of days. She made sure that she doesn't have to face him either. That is why she is used to leaving early and come home early. And the rest of the day, she was spending in the confines of her room or back gardens. 

However, Ekta got to her while she tried to avoid her. She didn't have any personal grudge against Ekta. But, the fact that she is part of Dev's life, Mahi tried her best to keep her distance. 

Mahi couldn't avoid her because Ekta being Ekta was the best thing about her. Despite that she was upset with her friend, Mahi adored the way Ekta came to meet her. Mahi can never deny how much she liked being friends with her. 

'I don't even want to hear any apologies from you. If I deserve an apology. Then you are definitely not the person from whom I should be getting the one,' replies Mahi standing in the middle of the living room.

'You do deserve an apology,' says Ekta. She continues,' Can we still hang out like we used to? I got used to our girl time,' making a small innocent insisting face.

Mahi softens a little and replies,' I am not sure. I am mean I might be biting on my own integrity.'

'No. You won't be,' replies Ekta.

'C'mon! You know it too. We wouldn't have met if I wasn't married to your friend,' replies Mahi.

'Not true. What if you wouldn't have married Dev and I had still come to the wedding. We still would have met. We still would have clicked as we did right here,' says Ekta. She sees a faint smile on Mahi's face and an opening to her. She continues,' Too cheesy, huh?'

Mahi chuckles softly, nodding and replies,' I give up. Can't win this.'

'Good. Because I can't stand any longer and can't come up with great comebacks. C'mon, I am full time. Show some mercy,' says Ekta teasingly as she takes the seat on the chair next to her.

'I am sorry. Please. What you wanna have?' asks Mahi feeling guilty again for keeping her standing.

Both the ladies settled with their choice of beverages in hand in the living room. Talking about something or the other. 

'I have a confession to make,' says Ekta taking a small sip from her cup of tea. She says,' I have not come here to apologise on behalf of Dev. But, I was hoping we could talk about it. Particularly about you and Dev.'

Mahi sighs softly and says,' What is there to talk about?'

'A lot,' replies Ekta instantly.

'Like what?' asks Mahi looking intently at Ekta.

'Like what could be the reason he acted out that way?' says Ekta trying to read Mahi from her face.

'I hope you are possibly not trying to justify what he did,' says Mahi expecting a response from Ekta.

'Absolutely not. There is no justification for how Dev behaved. You wouldn't believe this. But, right before you came to his office, I was ready to beat him up. Literally.' replies Ekta assuring her stand on this. Mahi chuckles at her response and replies,' I believe you. Literally.'

Ekta smiles back in response and says,' Though, I am serious. Aren't you a little bit curious about the reason? There is clearly a difference between a justification and a cause.'

'Is there? I don't know anymore when it comes to him,' says Mahi thoughtfully. Even she worked up her mind for days thinking about it. What could have made Dev act like that? Usually, Mahi is always a rational person when it comes to relations. But, in this case, she found herself more affected by Dev's words than anyone else. Mahi stopped getting affected by anyone's rudeness a long time ago. She had closed herself up since the last time she had to give up almost everything in her life, including her life. She had come a long way. It was surprising for her how Dev's words pierced her through. What Dev said was definitely not the worst thing she has to hear in her whole life. Especially in her line of work. Working under uneducated ministers is where Mahi has listened to something worst than what Dev has said. But, somehow, it affected her when it came from Dev. Since that day, she has been questioning herself. Why did it hurt that bad? This even made her go through and analyse the progression of her relation with Dev, looking for answers where she went wrong. 

Seeing Mahi lost in her thoughts, Ekta gave her the needed time to search through her heart whether Dev could ever do what he did to her in his right state of mind. 

'It might seem to you that I am being biased because he is my friend. But, believe me. This was the first time for me as well to see him like that,' says Ekta after some time.

'I could tell. The way you shouted at him that night,' says Mahi thinking back at the moment. She clearly noticed the tinge of shock in Ekta's voice when she called out his name loud enough to stop Dev in his tracks.

'You know I pressured him to tell me at least what went wrong. Or what triggered him,' says Ekta smiling wryly.

'What did he say?' asks Mahi becoming curious.

Ekta notices the intent in Mahi's voice. She replies,' At first he said he doesn't know but, then he gave me some stupid reason. It was totally unrelated to you.'

'What was that stupid reason?' asks Mahi watching Ekta inquisitively for an answer.

'Yashika sent him her wedding card. Through a guest at the party.'

'Oh!' says Mahi feeling a little disappointed at Ekta's reply. She realises Ekta has been observing her reaction. She changes her expression to indifference and says,' Indeed a stupid reason,' with a scoff.

'Told you so,' replies Ekta smiling inwardly at Mahi's reaction. Ekta saw the disappointment on Mahi's face. Ekta continues,' Anyways, I believe he is lying to himself as well.'

'You think this was not the actual reason? What did you mean when you said it was totally unrelated to me?' asks Mahi becoming confused at Ekta's words.

'Just something crossed my mind. I mean, I expected Dev to give me something related to you since that asshole rained on you. You were not the only one there. Remember?' says Ekta intending to ignite a curiosity in Mahi. Indirectly putting her on the path of inquiring more about Dev's real feelings about her. Ekta knew Dev was lying to them when she asked him about that night. Because she couldn't forget the series of events from that night. He was clearly content whenever Mahi was around. She noticed the genuine concern in her friend's eyes whenever he couldn't find Mahi in his line of sight. And this was the case in every formal or informal party they attended so far. Ekta's mind wanders back to that night in the kitchen right before Dev lost all control. She saw his expression going from all controlled to lose jealous beast in a moment. Ekta was well aware of Dev's dislike of Kabir's proximity with Mahi. She just didn't expect Dev to lie to her regarding the same. 

Ekta made a valid point. Her words made Mahi rethink the whole incident with a new set of eyes. 

Seeing Mahi's confused and yet thoughtful expression, Ekta decided to leave her with her thoughts alone. 

'Oh, I gotta go. I just remembered Rohit told me to receive a package for him. I have to be home,' says Ekta getting up and breaking Mahi's train of thoughts.

'Huh? Alright. Let me walk you to your car,' replies Mahi, gathering herself. 

As they start walking to the door, they suddenly halt. Both ladies hear some liquid splashing on the floor. They instinctively look down together. 

'My water just broke,' says Ekta keeping her eyes wide looking at Mahi.

'What?'

'I am having the baby,' says Ekta, smiling, looking happy and tensed at the same time. She laughs awkwardly at Mahi.

'OK! OK! Alright! OH MY GOD! You are having the baby. Like right now. Oh God,' Mahi gulps sharply and becomes aware suddenly. She becomes confused because she doesn't know what to do in such a situation. She frantically continues as she freaks out,' Breathe! You need to breathe. I'll take you to the hospital. That's where I am supposed to take you, right? Of course. Why am I even asking you this? I'll drive you. I need to get my keys. What else do I need to take? A go-bag!! What all goes in a go-bag? Wait. I'll manage it. Don't worry. Just relax! Breathe! I got you.'

Ekta looks at Mahi, getting panicked and losing almost her mind. She calmly says before she sees Mahi literally lose her mind,' Mahi. It's alright! Breathe! You need to relax. There is a go-bag in my car. We'll get that. Now call Rohit. And then we'll leave. I have my car here. You need to drive. Can you?' She asks Mahi getting a little worried.

'Yes. I can. Right, call Rohit. I'll do that,' says Mahi as she takes out the phone from her jeans pocket and dials the number. As she waits for the call to connect, she makes Ekta sit on the settee nearby. She keeps holding her hand. 

'It's unreachable,' says Mahi looking at Ekta in a tense voice.

'It's alright. Try Dev. They are together,' says Ekta feeling the first contraction. 

Mahi looks at Ekta, grimacing with pain. She immediately calls up Dev. The call rings twice before Dev picks up.

'Hello. Mahi?' says Dev, not expecting the call from her.

'Is Rohit next to you?' asks Mahi as soon as she hears Dev's voice on the call.

'Yes. Rohit is here,' Dev was confused at her query. 

'Ekta just broke her water. She is going into labour. I am taking her to the hospital. Reach as soon as possible,' says Mahi without a breath.

'What? Alright! Don't worry, we'll be there ASAP. We are out of town, so it will take an hour or two to get back. Will you be fine to drive her?' asks Dev, getting concerned for both of them.

'Yes. I can. Don't worry. I'll take care of Ekta till Rohit arrives,' replies Mahi. She takes a brief pause and continues more softly and calmly,' Don't rush. Drive safe.' 

'You too,' says Dev, smiles at her reply before he hangs up and tells his friend the news.

Mahi takes Ekta to the hospital. Both tell each other to calm down throughout the way. As soon as they reach, Ekta is taken to the maternity ward. Mahi stays back to complete the formality and paperwork of admitting Ekta. Mahi, after some time, joins Ekta in her room. As her contractions become a little more intense, Mahi becomes more concerned until the doctor tells her that it is normal. Mahi relaxes a little, except another contraction takes away her relaxation. 

After an hour and a half later, Mahi receives Dev's call asking her the room number and the floor. Dev and Rohit enter the room. Rohit runs to be on the side of his wife's bed, holding her hand. Mahi and Dev quietly see the couple holding onto each other with the expression of concern and excitement together. Soon doctor comes and takes Ekta to the delivery room along with Rohit on her side. 

Mahi and Dev wait outside the delivery room. Mahi sees Dev pacing around in the corridor worriedly. She picks up the water bottle next to her and walks up to Dev. She goes and stands, blocking Dev's pacing path. He halts after seeing Mahi in front of him. She offers him the water bottle without saying a word. 

Dev takes the water bottle from her and says,' Thanks.' He continues stopping Mahi to turn around and leave,' Thank you. Not just for water. For everything. I mean, Ekta.' Dev says this, hesitating a little.

'You are welcome. For the water. Rest. No need to,' says Mahi pulling up a straight face.

'I know. After everything, you made it clear that you'll have nothing to do with me. Or the people in my life. I was still able to drag you back in here. I am sorry,' says Dev feeling guilty though more glad to see her here.

Mahi looks away for a second and says,' It is true that I met Ekta because of you. But, don't live in any kind of an illusion that I am friends with her because of you.'

Dev nods simply and smiles inwardly. He becomes pleased after listening to Mahi, thinking she is not ready to cut all her ties to him. 

Mahi goes back to the bench to sit where she was sitting earlier. She sees Dev when he wasn't looking in her way. She notices how much his looks have changed in these past few days, especially after that night. It looked like he has not stopped beating himself up for what he did or said that night. His eyes looked more exhausted than usual. He has also grown a stubble around his jaws. He seemed rough yet, his best looks escape through his ruggedness. His tall stature doesn't fail to attract the attention around him. It never has. Mahi notices that even standing in the maternity ward, not in the best of his looks, the women here don't fail to steal a look at him. Be it the pregnant ladies or the female staff of the hospital. They all would find themselves ogling him involuntarily. With all that attention towards him, what pulls Mahi towards him is that he is unaware of it. He looks so lost in his own thoughts that he doesn't even reciprocate any of the looks the young nurses in the ward are throwing at him. A smile slips through Mahi's lips as she sees Dev's innocent look and yet on a very handsome face.

WHAT THE HELL!! Mahi thinks to herself as soon as she realises how closely she had been watching Dev's intricate details on his face. That too, with a smile. She mentally yanks herself out of the daze. She suddenly feels the heat releasing from her body. She feels her hand sweaty due to the heat. She instantly wipes them at the side of her jeans and runs her hand through her neck. She keeps that hand on the neck and another clutching the bench beneath her. Mahi becomes shockingly aware of the way she has been eying Dev in the past few minutes. She closes her eyes in embarrassment. 

Meanwhile, Dev paces around the hall as he waits for any news of Ekta and the baby. As he does that, he kept stealing glances at Mahi's way every minute or so. He feels her eyes on him. He couldn't stop but become curious about her looks. He sees that she kept looking at him thoughtfully. He tried to keep his thoughts to Ekta and the baby. But, with each second, her eyes on him made him more conscious of himself. At one point, he almost convinced himself that he saw her smiling while she was looking at him. But, he jolts himself mentally not to dream with open eyes. After what he did to her, how can he even imagine something like that? He thinks to himself. He even doesn't deserve any kind of attention, let alone a smile from her. Yet she is here. Her presence here is enough for him. He is grateful for her in his life and always will be, he thinks to himself. 

After a couple of hours of waiting, Rohit comes out in a hospital coverall with a big grin on his mouth.

'It's a boy,' says Rohit with a grin and tears at the end of it.

Dev hugs him in response and asks about Ekta. To Dev's query, Rohit tells him that both are healthy. They soon will be transferred to the room. Mahi congrats Rohit hugging him. Rohit thanks Mahi for taking Ekta to the hospital, for being with her when he wasn't there.

Soon Ekta settles in the hospital bed with the baby in her arms. Rohit sits next to her. Dev stands on the end of the bed with a smile pasted on his mouth as he witnesses his best friends' happiest moment. Mahi sees Ekta's exhausted yet content face while she watches the tiny human in her arms. Mahi sniffles softly in an attempt to control her emotions and not to gather any attention towards her. However, Dev turns her head at the sound of her soft sniff. When it comes to Mahi, Dev realises how little sound or movement she makes, always catches his attention. Dev lets out a smile as he watches Mahi seeing his friends and the baby with such adoring eyes along with little water forming at the corner of her eyes. 

Ekta looks up to Dev and notices him looking lovingly at Mahi. She elbows Rohit lightly and raises her eyebrows towards Dev. Rohit chuckles as he shakes his head amusingly. 

Ekta looks at Mahi and says,' Wanna hold me Mahi Aunty?' in a cute baby voice.

'Can I? You sure?' asks Mahi making a fist of both her hands in front of her mouth in excitement. 

Ekta nods in approval. Mahi walks up and softly takes the baby in her hands. As baby coos, Mahi opens her mouth unconsciously and looks awed at the baby.

Ekta laughs softly at her reaction and looks at Dev, grinning at Mahi's response. Dev looks at Ekta, who raises her eyebrows at him. Dev simply chuckles at his friend's teasing and moves his gaze back to Mahi and the baby. 

'Mahi. Thank you so much for everything today. If it wasn't for you, I don't know what would I have done,' says Ekta looking up at Mahi.

'Please. Don't remind me how freaked out I was today. You were way better than me. And you did good,' replies Mahi glancing at the baby. 

'So If I ask something from you, you wouldn't say no to me. Right?' asks Ekta looking intently at her.

'Anything! As long he is in my hands,' says smiling cutely at the baby. 

Ekta and everyone else chuckles at her response. Ekta says,' Will you be our son's godmother?' as she glances at Rohit for confirmation. Rohit simply nods in agreement smiling. 

Ekta looks at Mahi, who loses the smile and replace it with a surprised look.

To be continued...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

772K 41.1K 82
This book contains triggering things like stalking, I don't know what I was thing while writing this. And I was a stupid teenager. Sorry for that! P...
740K 28K 111
"Listen Dev. I..I am sorry. Please let me explain" I pleaded while taking my steps back. "Sorry? Really? Ms Aasha Sharma" he asked with a smirk. Now...
315K 32.5K 181
Special mention in #Wattpad love awards Most impressive rankings #1 in Together-11/06/2022 #2 in Emotional-13/11/2021 #3 in Emotional-15/11/2021 #3 i...
36.3K 3.4K 63
• She was broken piece of glass while he had the glue that could mend it together. • Kiara is a girl that wanted to fall in love. Meet her soulmate b...