Half a Lovetime (Coming May 2...

Galing kay darkriam

ยป Coming May 2022 as The Flaws In Our Horizons. ~~~ Under San Francisco's bright skies. The place Rachel Jon... Higit pa

00~ Half A Lovetime
01~ Reconnect

02~ Anxious

17 3 22
Galing kay darkriam

      Ultimately the bond of all companionship, whether in marriage or in friendship, is conversation.
-Oscar Wilde.

Play Alive by Sia.

✧ ✧ ✧

I should have been handed a damn national award.

The waiter was gaping at me like I just slapped his grandfather's ass. And all I did was order four large fries, extra chicken wings, three cheeseburgers, and a large coke. For myself.

Only me. I ate junk food because I was a hero. If I didn't someone else would, so me eating it meant someone else got to be healthy. Besides, comfort was a priority.

I could already hear the announcers.

Rachel Jones. Hero of the year.

A quick buzz in my coat pocket made me take a seat at the far edge of the shop while Matt stood at the counter, Joe- the shop's greeter and my very good friend- helping him order his food. Obviously, I'd never share my food.

» U ever wondered why A, B, C, D, DD E F G are used to define bra sizes? A- almost boobs, B- barely there, C- can't complain, D- damn, DD- double damn, E- enormous, F- fake, G-Geeezus. Guess Kareem should yell a loud damn when he comes back home, eh. XOXO.

There was a wink emoji too.

Another text came almost immediately, still from Lee.

» Loads of customers today. Kinda bummed, kinda happy SALTS. Oh and I found that on Buzz feed, crazy rii?! Anyway have a lovely day at Church, text me later. Sending lots of love and kisses!!!

I glanced at my watch and almost guffawed in the latte the waiter had reluctantly given me while I waited for my food since apparently, only mad people- me- woke up at six to eat at restaurants on Sundays.

Who sends messages on bra sizes by 7am? Lee, that's who.

» Don't send any love or kisses.
Send money, Lee!!! Ya girl is struggling XD. Still at Rosie's for breakfast anyways.

It had always been a tradition since I moved here to have early Sunday breakfasts at the little restaurant tucked away in the busy streets that barely anyone noticed it. Thereafter, Matt and I went to church and sometimes, hung out at Union Square after service or slept in.

But I didn't do any early morning jogs- which Lee practically forced me to start due to my recent obsession with junk food- on Sundays which made it so much better.

My phone rang as the waiter dropped trays of food and I quickly answered my FaceTime as soon as I saw the poop face emoji I saved Lee as.

"Planning on going late to church?" She said as soon as the call connected.

"I'm not going to be late, pfft. And even if I am, I'm just giving everyone a chance to be early," I retorted back letting a smile settle on my face as her eight year old son, Fauz, poked his head just in front of his mother's.

"Hello, aunt Chel." he waved wildly, his brown curls bouncing. "How's Matt?"

Matt perked up probably from hearing his name and Fauz's voice. "Uh.. hi.. hi, Brother Fauz," he greeted, smiling at the screen.

A big smile spread out on Fauz's face and my heart warmed at their friendship. I knew that at 8, Fauz was probably already wandering why Matt didn't look the same, act the same or even talk like he did. But he had never for once been rude or arrogant to him and the way they regarded each other as brothers touched me the most.

"Aunt Chel," He called once Matt returned to his sandwich. "I was learning animal products in school last week and mom thinks I'm really good."

"Ah, that sounds interesting," I said, wiggling my brows at him. "A little test?"

He replied with a nod.

"Okay what does chicken give you?"

"Eggs!" His reply was filled with so much enthusiasm and delight that Lee laughed beside him.

"Awesome, boy," I said, throwing him a smile. "And pigs?"

"Bacon?" He answered, a little unsure but he grinned once I nodded my head in affirmation.

"What about cows?" I asked again and his face immediately contorted in confusion.

"Cows?" I could tell he was at the brink of tears as his bottom lip quivered, eyes glossing. His eyes kept creeping to his mom like he was afraid she'll be angry or disappointed. I wanted to tell him that it was okay not to know everything till I saw it.

That little light shining so vividly in his eyes.

I was very very associated with it, a bit too much in Lee's opinion but that's what got me out of my parents house anyway.

Determination.

"You know, those really fat ones your mom loves to cut up on Salah? The ones that go all moo moo?" I emphasized, watching him think as he tapped his curly bangs.

"Oh, fat cows," he drawled tapping the screen with his putty fingers before raising the little book beside him. "Cows give us homework," he replied, pointing to the book.

I almost choked on my burger in laughter. Did he just call his teacher a cow?

She must be on the very large side then.

Lee chuckled lightly, her eyes twinkling as they shone with pride at her son. "At least I raised a kid who knows the difference between humans and animals. Chel, you really need to see that class teacher of his. Total asshole."

I was just about to warn Lee about her language in front of Fauz- something she and her husband, Kareem probably did a lot- when a clearly overdressed woman barged into the shop, heels clanking and her tone way too loud for the person she was talking to over the phone.

"Morning ma'am, welcome to Rosie's," Joe greeted cheerfully as soon as a little boy with his hand tightly wrapped around his sister's shoulders walked in behind the woman.

Joe doubled over, a small smile on his face at the little girl who was trying to tug his beard off while her brother just stood, his hand still protectively over her. He looked so determined I was scared for old Joe.

"Nice kids you got there ma'am, twins?" He asked, standing straight to address the woman.

"Not twins, idiot. Phillip is older and much taller than Kate, even a dumbass can see that clearly. Seems like you have to get your glasses checked," she snapped back at him and I just wanted to walk over and give her a tight slap across the face.

She knew absolutely nothing about the man standing still in front of her. That man was the nicest, friendliest and sweetest man I've met in my entire life and I was sure I'm not the only one who thought so. Never takes offense and has always shown Matt and I nothing but love since we moved to San Francisco six years ago.

"Not an idiot nor a dumbass and I can assure you that my glasses are working perfectly or else-" He turned to my table and pointed a finger straight at me.

"-Chel would have had it fixed a long time ago but you certainly don't understand that, do you? You clearly look like you need a lot of help in your life and obviously I know these angels," he continued, referring to the two children beside her.

"I know they are definitely not twins, it's obvious. I just couldn't believe someone slept with you twice. I guess people still do repeat mistakes. Anyway, come in, we don't want these darlings getting hungry before church."

I sat frozen to my seat, face down, in disbelief that Joe could say that. Not until Lee's poorly hidden laughter resonated through the shop and the door barged shut in the loudest manner possible signaling the woman's exit did I raise my head high enough to laugh.

"That was hilarious, congrats, Joe. Guess I am rubbing off on you," Lee yelled through the screen, winking at the old gentle man who rewarded her with a smile.

"Ah, Aliyah. I'm still far far behind in learning all your tricks," he yelled right back. They had a really... funny relationship.

"You know the drill." She laughed before motioning to me."Okay sis, get your ass out of that shop and head to your church, okay?"She waited for my nod before continuing. "Love you, Matt and take care of yourself, Chel."

Matt whispered a love you too and a passionate byeee to Fauz before the line went dead.

༺ ❁ ༻

After paying the bill and tipping Joe despite his fervent refusals, I walked out of the shop and stood by the curb waiting for a taxi. No matter how expensive they were, I still preferred them to crowded trains and their groping strangers.

A girl in an oversized shirt and leggings who looked in her teens stood a few feet from me, her hands carefully patting the huge bulge on her tummy. She got into the same cab as Matt and I, furiously texting on her phone like her life depended on it.

Maybe it did.

I spent the ride focusing on my newly done nails and shaved legs. All Lee's doings and somehow, I felt happy that morning. Maybe it was the countless burgers I ate or the fact that I loved Sundays especially the church programs but still, the smile stayed there.

The cab slowed down and the girl looked up from her iPhone, a pissed look on her face. Instinctively, I wrapped my arm round Matt trying to protect him from getting triggered by her furious face. A glance at her hands told me she was using the latest iPhone. Heaven knows why they kept making new ones when we can't even afford the available ones.

Stupid Apple phones that kept mocking my bank account.

"Your stop, Misses," he said to the both of us, stretching out his hand for his payment. I pressed the money into his palm and wished him a happy Sunday but the girl was much less in the mood as she flung the notes at him and stormed out of the taxi, slamming the door hard.

"You should have closed your legs that way," he yelled behind her and I dug my nails into the palm to stop myself from laughing as I checked the street before crossing.

"Okay, Matt. Let's go." I turned to guide him to cross but he was already there.

In the middle of the road.

Alone.

And a car was headed straight for him.

✧ ✧ ✧

QOTD: What's your fav food/ junk?

I was eating paprika pringles while I typed this so my hands and screen are very very orange SALTS. Besides, I proofread this with a laptop (my first time) so my deepest apologies for any typos :)

Anyway thank you for reading, any thoughts? Please vote, comment and follow!

Loads  of love~ Riam. 

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

565K 25K 117
The Many Dates of Indigo is now published as a Paperback, and E-book with W by Wattpad Books! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Wattpad Or...