Honesty - Criminal Minds || S...

By bekah-x

{Book One} COMPLETED - SPOILERS PRIOR TO SEASON 12 The BAU were not ready for the arrival of Aaron's Hotchne... More

POV Titles.
Prologue
1. Agent Brenda Melanie Joyner
2. Team
3. Digging The Dirt
4. Skin
5. Swallowing Your Pride
6. CH3CH2OH
7. Carpe Diem
8. Out With It
9. What You Waiting For?
10. Competition
12. Blame It On Me
13. The Winning Move
14. Life Support
15. Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
16. We're the FBI
17. What Makes You Beautiful
18. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
19. Beside Every Great Man Is A Great Woman
20. From Past To Present
21. What's Meant To Be Will Be
22. Gratitude
23. The Gift of Love
24. Proximity
25. Inseparable
26. Reconciliation
27. What's Mine Is Yours
28. It Can Happen To Anyone
29. Overview
30. Reach Out Your Hand
31. This Time It's Personal
32. It's All About The Impact
33. Take Me To Church
34. It's Better Late Than Never
35. Sheer Perfection
36. Feel My Pain
37. Small Bump
38. Hold Me Closer
39. What Is The Right Thing?
40. Arrivederci

11. Act Normal

14.1K 337 41
By bekah-x

"Normal is an ideal. But it's not reality. Reality is brutal, it's beautiful, it's every shade between black and white, and it's magical. Yes, magical. Because every now and then, it turns nothing into something." ~ Tara Kelly

The Daughter

Thankfully nobody mentioned anything with either Spencer or I on the jet, and I remained entirely focused on the case.

We were in LA investigating a serial arsonist who increased his kills by two with each fire he set.

Morgan was still suspicious of gang activity, but the rest of us were convinced it was the working of a solo arsonist. Of course, this was difficult to establish for me as I was the one partnered with Morgan in Spencer's absence.

"I'm telling you, none of this says 'gang'." I said defensively to Morgan.
"Yes, it does. The fires aren't in specific locations, they're out in the public, victims are random within the high-risk community. C'mon Mel you've got to see the connections." I rolled my eyes and sighed just as we entered the conference room back at the station.

It would seem that the team were on the webcam to Garcia so Morgan and I were silent as we slipped in at the back of the room. He immediately crossed to the coffee table and poured us both a cup, passing me one silently as the team listened to the facts Garcia was relaying.

"Therefore we can assume that the Unsub is seeing himself as an Angel of Mercy and sees himself as doing a public service by cleaning the streets of these vagrants." Reid's voice came from the cam and I looked up to the screen to see his face peering down at us excitedly.

I choked on my mouthful of coffee and turned, choking to spit it back into my cup.
"You okay?" Morgan asked, everyone turning to stare at me. 

I kept coughing, nodding my head and hitting my chest, subtly slipping out of the conference room with a reddened face.

What was he doing with Garcia? Why was he at work? Why was he working this case with us?

I had so many questions reeling around in my brain as I cleared my throat and chucked my coffee.

"You alright?" Prentiss asked as she approached me.
"Totally fine." I lied. She narrowed her eyes but nodded her head.
"Well we have a list of people to check out, so let's go."

The Doctor

"Did you see that? She just left as soon as she saw I was there," I said in a small pathetic voice. "She hates me." I concluded.

"Oh come off it," Garcia scoffed. "You are so full of yourself Doctor. Get down off your high horse, that girl does not hate you. She l-" I arched an eyebrow as Garcia cut herself off. I looked at her bluntly as her cheeks blushed and she cleared her throat. 

"She luckily doesn't hate you," She said in a high-pitched tone. "She just needs time, okay? You know everything she told me, so I'm the only one that knows what's happened between you. She doesn't hate you, Spencer. Believe me." I did believe her, but it still didn't change the way I felt.

*

"That's it!" I shrieked. "That's him! That's the Unsub!" Garcia and I had managed to narrow it down as the team were splitting to cover more possibilities. "Who's there? Who's with him?!" I gasped, yanking my phone out of my pocket. 

"Mel and Morgan." Garcia blurted. Without even thinking about it I hit Mel's speed-dial and in a few seconds she answered.
"Melanie you have to be careful, it's him, he's the Unsub. Bryan Martin, the guy you and Morgan are about to question, it's him." I gushed quickly.
"O-o-okay," She stuttered, clearly surprised by my sudden phone-call. "We'll let the others know. Thanks."
"No problem..." I opened my mouth to say more but she ended the call; thankfully so.

The Daughter

I ended the call and stared at my phone.
"You okay?" Morgan asked, glancing at me from the driver's seat.
"Y-yeah," I stuttered. I cleared my throat and looked out the windshield. "Uhm," I hummed as I righted my thoughts. "Bryan Martin, the guy we're going to see is apparently the Unsub." I relayed.

"Do the others know?" Morgan asked with a serious expression. I shook my head and opened my phone again, dialling Hotch's number.

*

"Nice work today," Hotch said as we all took to our seats on the jet. "It was good to have you back, Melanie." He said, glancing over at me. I grinned happily.

"It was good to be back. I don't like being sat behind a desk." I said matter-of-factly.
"I know, poor Spencer." JJ said.
"Why didn't he just come back out?" Prentiss wondered.
"He explained he'd missed too much of the case to fly out and that he'd be more help with Garcia than us." Hotch explained.

My cheeks were a little warmer than before but I completely agreed to their questioning; they had every right to be curious. I was just thankful Garcia wasn't sat on this jet with us to give our story away with her precise expressions.

The Blonde Bomb

We were on the jet back home when Spencer called.
"Hey Spence, how are things?"
"Fine, I was actually going to ask you the same thing. How did the arrest go?" I glanced up at Melanie who was sat looking at me chewing her bottom lip. I smiled and she returned it before averting her eyes out of her window.

"Yeah, the arrest went great, Spence. Morgan and Melanie already had it covered by the time we got to the house."
"Is she okay?!" His voice gushed worriedly and I sighed.
"Yes, Spence everything is fine don't worry. You'll see that for yourself soon, we're on our way home right now."
"Already?" He gasped.
"Yeah, as I said, the arrest was pretty quick. The local PD can take the charges from there."

There was silence for a moment before,
"Oh, okay then."

I chuckled.
"You can't handle sitting behind a desk all day can you?" 

He chuckled too.
"No, not when I know you're all out there, fighting in the field."
"Trust me, we're all fine."
"Okay, well, I'll see you when you're home."
"Alright see you soon." We hung up and I sighed, rolling my eyes at Morgan who sat on Melanie's other side.

"I'm gonna go make some coffee, anybody want anything?" Melanie offered. Morgan got up to let her out while I said,
"Coffee would be great, Mel, thanks." She smiled sheepishly as Morgan declined and she hurried off to the coffee-pot.

"What was Reid wanting?" Morgan asked as he slid into Melanie's seat.
"He was worried about the arrest and asking if we were okay."
"Meaning he was worried about Melanie?" I nodded my head. "What's gone down between them?" He wondered.

"I can hazard a guess I suppose..." I mused, glancing over at Melanie as Hotch approached her. "But it's none of our business."
"Nah you're right... But it becomes our business if they bring it out on the field." I sighed and nodded my head. Morgan was right, but I could only imagine what had gone down between them, and I didn't want to get in between that.

The Daughter

"Melanie..." Hotch's voice gently interrupted me and I looked up from the coffee-pot to see him approaching sheepishly. Hotch didn't do sheepish.

"I've been thinking..." My stomach flipped; those were three words I was terrified from. "Maybe it's about time you met Jack." My eyes almost fell out of their sockets and my breath whooshed out of my mouth.

"R-r-really?" I stuttered in a small voice.
"Yes, I think it'd be good for you if you met him. Perhaps though it'd be best if we didn't tell him right away that you're his sister... But yes I think it'd be good if you could meet." My mouth fell open and I blinked at him in shock.

"Uhm..." I cleared my throat. "I'd really like that." I admitted, nodding.
"Excellent," He smiled broadly at me and that very gesture almost knocked me on my back. "Well, why don't you come round for dinner tomorrow night? I'm sure that'd be a great opportunity for you both." I nodded my head vigorously. 

"Yeah sure, that sounds perfect."
"Great, say five o'clock?" I grinned from ear-to-ear.
"Excellent." I confirmed.

As I sat back down at the table I handed JJ her cup of coffee and sat hugging my own with a gigantic grin.
"What happened to you up there? Did you get slammed with the caffeine truck?" Morgan asked, peering at my suspicious grin. I shook my head and chuckled as I sipped my coffee.

"I'm going to meet Jack tomorrow." I whispered to them excitedly.
"What?!" JJ gasped with a significant grin. I nodded my head vigorously and Morgan clapped me on the shoulder.

"That's fantastic news, kid, I'm happy for you."
"Really Mel that's amazing." JJ beamed.
"Thanks guys."

They knew better than anybody how tough these past six months had been. Sure Hotch and I were significantly progressing, and my bomb-attack had certainly shown how much we'd grown since I joined the BAU, but this was something else.

I was finally going to meet my little brother. After all this time, I was finally meeting him.

The Doctor

"I don't think I should be here for them coming back..." I muttered, tugging at my cardigan nervously.
"Of course you should be you gigantic fool, you've been worrying yourself sick back here." I opened my mouth to tell her I'd see her tomorrow, but then the elevator doors opened and the team came out.

"Hey kid, you okay?" Morgan asked, clamping a hand down on my shoulder.
"Y-yeah I'm fine." I mumbled as Garcia said,
"Actually he's not, no, he's been worried sick about you lot. Never leave him behind again, ever, please." She pleaded jokingly.

I smirked along with the others and realised Melanie was grinning from ear-to-ear as she entered the BAU.

I frowned at this, wondering what could've happened to make her so happy. Surely it wasn't just about the arrest, because since she joined the team six months ago, she'd made more arrests than I had in twelve years. Well, give or take.

I headed home as the team started their load of paperwork and I hated to see Melanie's smile and not know the reason behind it. But it was too awkward to ask. Things probably weren't ever going to be the same between us.

The Daughter

The following day was Saturday and we all had the day off like we normally did at weekends. Every time I heard a bleep I was praying it wasn't a text from Garcia calling us all in. Thankfully though, I was able to get ready and head to Hotch's without a glitch.

My stomach was rolling with nerves as I pulled into the underground parking lot at Hotch's apartment block. I didn't know how Jack was going to react to me. 

I'd asked Garcia to brief me, and from what I'd heard of Jack he was a great kid with a huge amount of respect for Hotch. But surely that meant that if Hotch showed me even the slightest amount of hostility, Jack would do the same?

I gulped and nervously took deep breaths as I headed along the corridor to Hotch's apartment, knocking on the door with clammy palms.

"Melanie, c'mon in." Hotch smiled, stepping back from the doorway and waving me inside. It was so strange to see him in clothing other than a suit and tie. Plain jeans and a t-shirt looked odd on him.

"Thank you." I smiled as I entered the apartment.
"Jack, there's someone I'd like you to meet," Hotch called. A small boy with tanned skin, sandy brown hair and eyes like his fathers came running through the open-plan kitchen area and skidded to a stop by Hotch's side in the living area.

"Jack, this is Melanie, one of my friend's from work." Hotch said in a loving tone with a hand on Jack's shoulder.
"Hi," Jack smiled shyly and gave a short wave. "I haven't seen you around before." He commented. 

"That's because I've just started working with your dad," I explained as I reached out and offered him my hand to shake. "It's good to meet you, Jack, I've heard a lot about you." He shook my hand gently and looked up at Hotch.

"That's cause he never shuts up about me." Jack said and we all laughed.
"Do you like cars, Jack?" I asked curiously. He nodded his head with a small smile and I grinned, pulling out a small gift from my bag. "Well, maybe you'll like this then."

Before I was forced to give up my old life as Melanie and move away from Caitlyn, I was close friends with her family, and even closer still to her younger siblings Ben and Daisy. Ben would be about eleven now, and Daisy would be Jack's age. 

It was the month before Ben's birthday before the NYTC attacked, and I'd already started buying small gifts for his birthday. An exclusive SUV miniature model was just one of the gifts I'd bought for him. I didn't get the chance to give him any of the gifts, and this one I thought was made for Jack.

"Wow, thank you!" Jack exclaimed, taking the gift gently out of my hands.
"You're welcome, I hope you like it." I told him as he tore the wrapping paper from the box. He gasped when he saw it and looked at me with wide eyes.

"It's like the one my dad drives." He said with a grin. I nodded my head excitedly.
"It's cool isn't it?" I asked and he nodded his head, showing it to Hotch.
"Wow, that's amazing Jack," Hotch said enthusiastically. "Why don't you thank Melanie and put it with the others?" He suggested.

"Thank you Melanie." Jack gushed, before running off to his room.

"You're welcome." I said, watching as he ran off.

"Hotch," I began, straightening to my feet as Hotch returned to the kitchen to finish dinner. "I want to thank you for this, really. I understand that this can't be easy, and I respect the decisions you've made in regards to this situation," I reached into my bag. 

"Well, words probably aren't enough to thank you, and this isn't either. But I thought it was a start." I shrugged, and handed him a bottle of the vintage malt.

"Melanie," He said reluctantly as he accepted it. "You really didn't have to do this," He said matter-of-factly. "I know how much this means to you and I respect that for your whole life this hasn't been easy for you. You don't have to buy me expensive whiskey to thank me." He said, setting the bottle on the counter.

"Okay..." I nodded with a sigh. "If you're going to say that then I suppose that means you don't want it and I can take it back..." I reached for the bottle and Hotch chuckled, throwing an arm in front of me. 

"I said it was too much, not that I didn't want it." I chuckled and grinned.
"Yeah... That's what I thought."

The Leader

Dinner went well, to say the least. Afterwards, Jack and Melanie helped me clean up before Jack brought some of his cars into the living room and Melanie sat on the floor and played with him for what felt like hours as I watched.

It made me think about how Jack might've reacted to having an older sister growing up. He seemed to be loving having someone else to play with. He was great around Beth, and he was great with me, but Melanie really tried with him.

She knew what their relationship should be like and I could see that shining through her effort. Her smile was so genuine and heartfelt it took my breath away, and the way the pair interacted with each other brought tears to my eyes.

Watching them playing reminded me so much of Hayley and it made me want to hold onto this moment forever.

"Okay Jack, it's nearly bedtime. Why don't you and Melanie put your cars away and I'll sort your snack." I got to my feet and headed for the kitchen as Melanie and Jack started whispering at each other.

"I love you, dad." Jack said, running up to me at the counter and throwing his arms around my waist. I chuckled and looked down, ruffling his hair.
"I love you too buddy, but it really is coming up for bedtime." Melanie chuckled as she passed with her arms full of cars.
"I know dad I just wanted to tell you that I love you." He shrugged.

My heart warmed and I watched as he ran to Melanie and took the SUV from the bottom of the pile in her arms.

Whilst I made Jack some toast and milk, he got ready for bed and Melanie tied all of his toys away and pulled his curtains. I flicked his night-light on as I sat the snack down on his nightstand.

"Melanie?" Jack asked sweetly around a mouthful of toast.
"Mhmm?" She hummed, turning to him with a broad smile.
"Are you friends with Beth?" He asked. I almost choked on the floor by his bedside and looked up at Melanie with a panicked expression.

"No silly billy," She laughed as she tickled his sides as she tucked him in, making him giggle joyfully. "As your daddy said earlier I'm one of his work friends."
"So you don't work with Beth?"
"Nuh-uh." Melanie grinned. Jack nodded his head, decided and finished his slice of toast.
"Okay buddy, say goodnight to Melanie."

"Nanight Melanie." Jack yawned, sipping his milk and reaching his arms up in the air.
"Nanight Jack." Melanie laughed, giving him an unsure hug.
"Goodnight buddy." I said, leaning down and kissing his forehead.
"Nanight daddy."

The Daughter

"About Beth..." Hotch began as we sat in the living room after putting Jack to bed.

"It's only fair that we have a proper conversation so I can explain who she is."

"I'm guessing she's your partner?" I smiled, raising my cup of tea to my lips.

"That's right... I was pretty reluctant at first... You know, after everything with Hayley," He heaved a sigh and looked deep into his cup of tea. "But, she's wonderful, really... She makes me incredibly happy, and she's great with Jack-"

"It's alright," I laughed, raising a hand. "You don't have to explain."

"And you're alright with that?" He asked uncertainly.

"What?" I questioned softly. "Am I alright with you and Beth?" I was a little confused by what he meant. He nodded his head and I cleared my throat. 

"Of course I'm alright with you and Beth. It's really none of my business. She looks like a lovely woman, and who am I to say you can't move on from my mother or your wife's death?"
"Well, you are my daughter, Melanie. You should have a say in these things." I gulped at his words.

"I've overheard the way you talk about her, she makes you happy, and I'm happy with that. She's good for Jack, really good for him. He needs to be reminded of his mum, but he also needs a mother-figure right here and now while he grows up."
"They get along great together." 

I nodded my head, seeing his smile.
"That's great."

"Melanie..." Hotch began a little uncertainly again. "It's not right that you should call me by my surname. Everyone else at work does that, but you're my daughter," My heart began pounding in my chest, creeping up my throat. 

"For now at least you should call me Aaron." I nodded my head, relief overwhelming me.
"That's fine." I smiled.

We spoke a bit more about Jack and Beth and even Hayley too. Thankfully though, my mother wasn't mentioned and neither was my family. I was pleased with this; the fewer reminders of my family, the better.

"We should make this a regular thing." Aaron suggested as we walked to the door.
"Really?" I enquired hopefully.

"Yeah, Jack really seems to like you and it's important that we all get to know each other better and build relationships." He said matter-of-factly.

"I'd really like that, Aaron. Thank you," I threw my arms around him and gave him a brief hug, taking us both by surprise. 

"Dinner was lovely, and you have an amazing little boy in there," I stepped out of the front door. "You should be extremely proud."

*

I was practically floating in mid-air as I arrived at the BAU on Monday morning. Aaron had messaged me pictures of Jack playing with his SUV, and had even explained how he'd fallen asleep in bed with it last night. 

I was grinning from ear-to-ear as I came out of the elevator and entered the unit. As usual, Spencer was pouring his coffee by the coffee-pot and I was a mere ten seconds or so behind him.

"You making me one of those too?" I asked with a broad smile as I approached the counter.
"Oh... Uh... Sure... I-i-if you want one." He stuttered uncertainly.
"Sure, I'd love one, thanks." I smiled, leaning against the counter and watching him as he made the coffee. He kept eyeing me nervously and I chuckled.

"Spencer, why don't we just forget everything that happened? It's stupid for us to keep acting like this over something silly." He looked at me slightly open-mouthed and I smiled at him, blinking a little nervously.

"Are you drunk?" He blurted after a while of just looking at me.
"No," I said, a little taken aback. "No, I'm not drunk. I'm just in an extremely good mood. Now are we forgetting about what happened or does my mood need to be ruined in order for me to continue acting all moody and pissed at you for no reason?" He chuckled and shook his head.
"N-no that's okay." He said, handing me my coffee cup.

I grinned and bumped shoulders with him as we made our way up the short set of stairs to the conference room.

"So are you going to tell me what's made you so happy?" He asked from the rim of his coffee-cup. I looked at him and smiled, knowing my eyes were sparkling excitedly. 

"What?" He asked self-consciously as we entered the room. We were the first ones here as usual.

"I met Jack on Saturday," I explained with a grin. "Aaron says we can make it a regular thing." I squealed excitedly.
"Hotch's Jack?" Spencer blurted and I nodded. "As in; your little brother, Jack?!" I nodded my head and he grinned, throwing his arms around me elatedly.

"Melanie that's fantastic news!" He gushed, pulling back with a broad grin. I nodded my head happily.
"I know, isn't it? I'm so so happy! He's such a great kid." Spencer nodded his head and we both took to our seats.

"Eventually, dumb and dumber have finally gotten over their lover's tiff." Morgan jibed as he entered the conference room. Spencer and I exchanged bashful looks as our cheeks reddened.

"Leave them alone," Prentiss chuckled. "I'm glad you guys have kissed and made up." She joked. I immediately looked down at my hands around my coffee cup and Spencer cleared his throat awkwardly. Silence overwhelmed the entire room just then before JJ and Rossi entered.

"Good morning children." Rossi yawned.

"What's up with you grandpa? Late night?" Morgan joked as Rossi took to his seat next to him.
"Something you're totally inexperienced of." Rossi hit back. 

We all chuckled and Spencer and I shared an equal look of relief.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.3K 1.3K 26
"Why did you make me fall in love with you when you're about to leave for a mission you may not even come back from?" I exclaim, my throat burning as...
177K 5.5K 63
To meet your soulmate is to to surrender yourself completely. Bella Snow and Spencer Reid have been in love for years. They have been through everyth...
225K 2.3K 120
Cry, Even better if you beg (Novel) Author: Solche (This is NOT MY WORK ) You can read this as manhwa and search the "Cry, even better if you beg"(in...
536K 25K 66
When a self-assured plus size Indian woman had been forced to face the meanest guy in the world at their last day of college, he quickly put a check...