Et Nos Cedamus Amori

By twosetandbubbletea

"Let us yield to love." Brett Yang knew from the very moment he saw Eddy Chen. He knew that this was the man... More

Prologue
I.
II.
IV.
V.
VI.
VII.
VIII.
IX. (nsfw)
X.
XI.
XII.
XIII.
XIV.
XV.
XVI.
XVII.
XVIII.
XIX.
XX.
XXI.
XXII.
XXIII.
XXIV.
XXV.
XXVI.
XXVII.
XXVIII.
XXIX.
XXX.
XXXI.
XXXII.
XXXIII.
XXXIV.
XXXV. (nsfw)
XXXVI. (semi-nsfw)
XXXVII.
XXXVIII.
XXXIX.
XL. (semi-nsfw)
XLI.
XLII.
XLIII. (semi-nsfw)
XLIV. (semi-nsfw)
XLV.
Epilogue
Author's Ending Notes

III.

510 26 11
By twosetandbubbletea

"Omnia causa fiunt." -Latin Phrase

Everything happens for a reason.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me." Brett exclaimed under his breath as he saw Eddy's text message.

For a second, he forgot that he was sitting next to his mother in their dining table. That his father and younger brother was there. Brett completely forgot and now he was dumbfounded.

"Language, lah. Aiyah..." Mama Yang said as she looked.

"Sorry, mama..." Brett said apologetically. "Can I come over Eddy's after I finish this?" Brett asked.

"I don't know. Ask your papa." Mama Yang said.

"Can I, papa?" Brett asked, looking at the direction of his father.

Papa Yang nodded, knowing that it was probably important since he never accidentally swore in front of them. Brett was rushing as soon as he was finished with dinner. Mama Yang just looked at Papa Yang as though she was disappointed.

When Alexander was not in the dining table and was not within the hearing distance, mama Yang talked to papa Yang.

"Why did you let him go, ba?" She asked with a sigh.

"It seemed important, ma. He never acts like that unless it's something to be worried about." He replied nonchalantly.

Papa Yang grabbed her hand and squeezed it lightly.

"Is this about his soulmate being man? Because if it-"

"No, it's not that. I know what you're about to say..." Mama Yang cut off.

"Then what are you going to say, ma? I'm no mind reader. I need to know what you're thinking about, love." Papa Yang replied.

"It's just... Our son loves him. I could see it in his eyes."

"Is that what you're worried about, ma? What if he does love him? Will it make a difference?"

"Yes! I'm not worried that he's in love with a man, ba. I'm worried because Eddy doesn't love our boy back." Mama Yang said, looking at him mournfully.

"Love, don't worry too much about him. This is exactly how we were before we married... They will find out soon enough. It wouldn't be easy, ma." Papa Yang said, reassuring his wife.

"I know, love. The fear is there, still. You know how he is. Always a tender and loving child. It would be a shame to see him grow up alone in this battle." Mama Yang pointed out.

"I know, ma. Yet, we cannot interfere. It's not in our position to do so. Besides, he's a strong boy. He knows what he's doing. I have faith he'll make it out alive and hand in hand with Eddy. Eddy loves him too, but he hasn't realized it yet." Papa Yang said, kissing his wife.

They weren't the affectionate type but this feels right.

- - - - -

"Eddy?" Brett asked, peeking under the blanket.

"Brett..." Eddy said breathlessly as he tried to control his sobbing.

Eddy got out from under the blanket and held on to Brett as he continued to cry. Brett just let him do so before asking him to explain. After a while, Eddy calmed down enough to drink the water that Brett had brought. Eddy cried so much that his hands were numb.

"You like to talk about it?" Brett asked as he held Eddy. The younger boy was still shaking a bit.

"Ma doesn't want me to enter the con next year." Eddy stated, calmer now since he had already let it out.

"You don't mind telling me the reason?" Brett asked again, rubbing soothing circles on his back.

"She said that I only wanted to go to the con because it's easier than med school." Eddy replied.

"Well, you're very smart, Eddy. How about you make a compromise with your mum?" Brett suggested.

"How?" Eddy asked with disbelief, quite skeptical that his mom would let him do music.

"If your mum is saying that you're picking music because it's easier, how about you take the med school entrance examination. Tell her that if you passed the test, she'll let you audition and enroll for the con. How about that?" Brett suggested.

"That's a good suggestion. Do you think she'll buy it, though?" Eddy asked again.

"If you're in love with your craft and believe you could be happy with it, you fight for it even if it means diving headfirst to the uncertainty." Brett replied thoughtfully.

I can't lose you, Eddy Chen.

- - - - -

"Brett!" Eddy exclaimed excitedly.

"What? Calm down, you're like a dog who's seen their owner after a long and lonely day. What's up?" Brett joked, but he was excited to hear it to.

"Bro, I actually fucking aced the med entrance exams..." Eddy said, surprised with himself, too.

"Yo, that's great... We should celebrate. I know you're excited to study at the con next year." Brett said, smiling at Eddy.

"I am. Just glad she really allowed me. Thank you so much, Brett. I would've become a doctor if you weren't there." Eddy joked.

"Don't want another Dr. Chen, huh?" Brett joked back too, laughing. "Well, since it's a celebration... Bubble tea on me..." Brett added, glad for Eddy.

"I'm not one to pass up a free drink, so take me away, Brett Yang."

They walked to the nearest place for bubble tea. The sun wasn't shining much but it's okay. At least it isn't as hot to be walking outside and just enjoying the atmosphere. The moment they ordered their boba, they sat on the air conditioned shop.

"Weirdly, this tastes extremely sweeter knowing that I'm actually gonna do something I love for uni." Eddy expressed as he took a sip.

"Exactly what I felt a year ago." Brett replied, taking a sip too.

There was a moment of comfortable silence before Eddy spoke up.

"Got anything new? Girlfriend or such?" Eddy asked nonchalantly.

"Bro, do I really look like I have time for a girlfriend? You barely saw me with full energy the past year." Brett joked but it's the truth. "Girlfriend, girlfriend... The neighbor's kid studying at Julliard while you can't even play a scale in tune. Disappointment..." Brett said, mocking a typical Asian tiger mom.

Eddy was laughing and joined along as well.

"Why you so bad, lah? Aiyah, the neighbor's kid is a soloist by day and doctor by night. He never played a wrong note his entire life... He's married and lives with them, too." Eddy added, exaggerating the accent.

Brett couldn't stop laughing at this point, tears welling up his eyes.

"Man, you stereotyped to the max, there." Brett said, wiping his tears.

"That's how my mom would want it. So would yours." Eddy said, clutching his stomach as a burst of laughter erupts again.

"Asian parents never say I love you but want you to stay with them even if you have a family already." Brett stated, as if it was a matter of fact.

"Yeah. Asian culture is weird." Eddy agreed, sipping on his bubble tea again.

"Do you ever think you could do that?" Brett asked again.

"Like settle down and such?" Eddy confirmed.

"Yeah... Just feels too hopeless for me." Brett said.

"Hopeless how?" Eddy asked again.

I'm too wrapped up at the thought of being in love with you to actually look for someone else.

"I don't know. We're young and all that but I don't think someone would really love me that much to actually stay with me." Brett replied, carefully not uttering a word that his brain was thinking of.

"You sound like you have commitment issues." Eddy joked. "Like those guys that girls try to avoid on movies but eventually have a toxic relationship with." Eddy added and laughed.

"Not really commitment issues. More like self-esteem issues." Brett corrected but laughed at the joke, nonetheless. "Well, what about you? Ever believe someone could love you like that?" Brett added.

"I guess so. I mean, a relationship is a two man job, is it not? It will work if you made it work." Eddy said, smiling at Brett.

Brett just smiled back as he took a sip of his drink. He was speechless. Given that, Brett was already in love with him but still. The way those words cascaded down Eddy's tongue, ringing up on his ears. It was quite beautiful and profound, if Brett says so himself.

"Too profound for you, huh?" Eddy joked again.

"Oh definitely. You should be a love guru, Chen." Brett kidded.

"You know what they say... Love gurus are smarter because they're not in the state of infatuation." Eddy said.

Oh. Oh! It makes sense a little bit now.

"Yeah, yeah, cut the crap Eddy." Brett said.

Eddy laughed and Brett just couldn't help but stare. Yes, Eddy wasn't the classic handsome type of man but he was beautiful in his own right. His words, his actions and the intellect that he naturally carries alongside of him everywhere. Eddy's personality carries his looks even further.

Yup, this is it. I'm utterly fucked eternally.

Brett thought, just looking.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.5K 1.3K 17
Gonna be a sad one. Imma apologize beforehand. Some Breddy angst stuff and uh maybe some fluff but Idk yet //trigger warning for suicide/self harm/de...
7.8K 327 17
When Feng He asked Cheng Qing to live with him, he ignored all the reasons it was a bad idea. The relationship with his step-brother was already vola...
216K 3.1K 21
Will Brett ever manage to say the R word??? But just as importantly, will he have the courage to be true to himself and to his feelings? Enjoy readin...
12.8K 625 20
an alternate universe where brett and eddy are classmates in music college, who do not know each other a single bit, yet they fall in love with each...