Summer Before Fame

By bignydollasss

"She could've left and she ain't leave my side." -Kentrell Kentrell and Yara meet as kids and grow a strong b... More

Cast
"We were just kids."
Chapter 1 "Friends"
Chapter 2 "Cornerstore walks, Barbershop talks"
Chapter 3 "Reassurance"
Chapter 4 "Soulless"
Chapter 5 " Redemption"
Chapter 6 "I Wonder"
Chapter 7 "Reminiscing"
Chapter 8 "Tatted on my Mind"
Chapter 9 "We All Eat"
Chapter 10 "On the Right Path"
Chapter 12 "Playing with the Big Boys"
Chapter 13 "With Time"
🀍
Chapter 14 "The Date"
Chapter 15 "I'm for you"
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
πŸ—£
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
πŸ’†πŸΎβ€β™€οΈ
Q&A
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 11 "These Streets"

3.2K 159 46
By bignydollasss

Yara POV.🦋

I sat in my car in the parking lot with my head resting on the seat. I couldn't stop smiling. I always had thoughts about how we would reunite, but this was unexpected. It's the fact that it's been so long, but we can still talk so comfortably with each other. And the fact that we both were able to let that hurt go says a lot. We really bring out the best qualities in one another.

I took out my phone typing in my dad's address in the GPS. Me and my dad have a really close relationship, it's just that we have disagreements on what's 'best for me'. My dad was a big drug dealer back in his day, so I guess you could say he's 'retired'. He still has a lot of street respect from the youngins who consider him an OG.

Gionni Davids was overprotective, a hardbody but a sucker for his lil princess, Yara. He just wanted better for Yara, so she wouldn't have to experience the street life he was once pulled in. So he kept her and her mother out of it, which later caused Yara's mom, Yasmine and Gionni to split up for their safety. Though, Yara could still see the epic love they shared for each other even when they argued. Yara never understood why they won't just get back together already, but she just minded her business.

Starting her car up, Yara pulled out the parking lot heading over her dad's house in Harlem, NY.

                                30 mins later...

Yara pulled up to the big house seeing all her dad's cars outside. She parked next to his Rolls Royce, making sure to be careful because she knew this was her dad's favorite car. She grabbed her purse walking to the front door using her own key that her dad gave her.

"Dad!" Yara yelled hearing footsteps coming from the hallway. Expecting to see her father, she saw her older brother Amir. She hadn't seen him in months since she lives in Atlanta and Amir lives here in New York.

Amir was her half brother, Yara and him had different moms but the same father. Amir was older by three years, making him 23. Before Yara was born, her dad was with Amir's mother and eventually had Amir. Amir's mother, Angela, suffered from post partum depression after giving birth to Amir and felt like being a mother just wasn't for her. One day she just up and left, leaving Amir with Gionni. Yara despised Angela, even if she's never met her. She hated how she chose to leave Amir and never looked back. When Yara's dad met Yara's mother Yasmine, Yasmine practically raised Amir as her own son and he considered her his mother. So Yara would never call Amir her 'half brother', he was her brother, period.

Amir^

"Wassup lil sis." He said smiling

"Hey Mir." Yara said hugging her brother

"What you been up to? And where's dad?" Yara asked while walking into the kitchen with Amir following behind her.

"He's in the garage. And nun forreal, just getting to dis bread. It's hard cus I gotta earn my respect out here and not just off of dad's name, you know?" Amir said sitting down next to Yara on a barstool.

Yara hated that Amir was in the street life. She was always worried about him, because if something happened to him, she would simply fall apart. Amir wanted to earn his spot at the top of the game like their dad and be the new king of Harlem. But deep down, she knew Amir knew what he was doing. She admired her big brother, sure he had a cold and hard exterior but he had a big heart. She was her brother's keeper.

*Sigh* "Amir you know how I feel about this street shit, just please stay safe okay? Yo hardheaded ass probably not even gonna listen to me anyways." Yara said shaking her head while eating some grapes.

"Ya, you know I'm always safe out here. You don't got nothing to worry about." he said grabbing one of her grapes causing her to mug him. "But tell me about your life. What you been up to?" Amir said munching on grapes.

"I'm been doing fine. Just working forreal and hanging out with Karin." Yara said

"Yo, how is Karin? And when you gonna put in a good word for me?" Amir said smirking

"Ew, my bestfriend does not want your ass. And she's doing fine. But Mir guess who I seen today?" Yara said

"Who?"

"Kentrell." Yara said

"Damn, how is Kentrell? I ain't seen that nigga since the summer I came with mom to pick you up from grandma house. Ya'll cool again?" He asked

"Actually, yes, we are. We both let that hurt go and put it all in the past." Yara said

Amir knew about what happened the day Yara left Lousiana. Yara tells him everything. He was upset, cus he considered Kentrell one of his homeboy's. Amir and Kentrell met one summer when he came with Yara to Louisiana to visit their grandmother. Even though Ms. Annamae wasn't Amir's biological grandma; he was still her grandson. When Amir and Kentrell met, they both hit it off and the three of them were always together that whole summer.

"That's good for both of y'all. But if that nigga hurt you again, he gone have to see me." Amir shrugged

"Boy get the fuck on." Yara said laughing

Yara and Amir's relationship has always been close. They told each other everything and was each other's other half. Amir is Yara's bestfriend since birth, he was her favorite person in the whole world.

The two heard the garage door open as their father entered the kitchen. "My baby girl. Come give your old man a hug Ya." Gionni said opening his arms for Yara.

Gionni (Yara's Father) ^

"Dad you aren't even old. But I missed you too Gionni." Yara laughed while giving him a hug

He mugged her. "Yara don't play wit me." He said in response to her calling him his name.

"I'm just playinggg." She laughed "But where's all the food at in here?" Yara asked looking through the refrigerator. She looked back at them seeing them shrug. 'Men' Yara thought shaking her head.

She pulled out a pot pouring water into it while setting it on the stove. She found some pasta in the cabinet and put it in the water to boil. She put a pan with oil on the stove to heat up the ground meat she was about to cook. She thought Spaghetti would have to suffice for today.

"You look just like your mother right now." Gionni said looking at Yara causing her to smile. "Speaking of her, how is she?" Gionni said grabbing some of Yara's leftover grapes.

"She's doing well dad. Why don't you pick up your phone and call her yourself so you two can catch up?" Yara said sarcastically

"Lil girl stop playing wit me. You may be grown, but I'm still your father." Gionni said. He knew Yara's sarcasm and attitude all too well, considering she got it from her mom, Yasmine.

Yara laughed. "No but forreal dad, why don't you both just talk to each other and stop playing games. Me and Amir are tired of seeing both of y'all acting like y'all not in love with each other." Yara said adding the sauce into the pan.

"Yeah Pops. You and mom need to just get back together already. Needa get yo ole lady back." Amir said causing both him and Yara to laugh.

"Smcht. I'm not getting no relationship advice from my kids. I should be hearing about y'all's love life. Anybody I need know about?" Gionni said while eyeing them both.

"Well Yara back talking to lil Kentrell." Amir said while smirking causing Yara to mug him.

"Kentrell? That boy you met in Louisiana when you was like 10?" Gionni asked

"Yeah dad. I ran into him today and we spent hours talking and catching up." Yara smiled with her back turned from them while stirring the noodles.

"Ain't he a big rapper now? What's his name? NBA Brokeboy or something?" Gionni said making Yara and Amir bust out laughing.

"Dad! It's NBA Youngboy." Yara said while laughing at her father's face.

"Oh well good for him. And I'm glad y'all two friends again baby." Gionni said

'Yeah me too.' Yara thought. They spent their time just cracking jokes with each other until the food was done. "Aight, food's ready." Yara announced as they both hopped out the island seats running to grab their plates. Yara shook her head.

The three continued their evening laughing and talking about childhood memories until it was late at night.

"Aight, I'm outta here. My flight is tomorrow, you two need to come visit me and mom soon." Yara said getting up from the couch.

"Alright Princess, we will. Make sure you drive safe. You still keep the gun I gave you in your purse right?" Gionni said eyeing Yara as he hugged her.

"Yes dad, I keep it on me." Yara said rolling her eyes while laughing

"Bye Mir, I love you fat head." She said hugging Amir

"You the one with the fat head. But bye sis, I love you." Amir said as they both did their handshake.

Yara made her way out the house hopping in her car as she waved to them while pulling out of the driveway. Yara drove to her condo while entering the building. She was walking  on the marble floors towards the elevator, until the lady at the front desk stopped her. "Ms. Chanel! These came for you." The lady said handing Yara a bouquet of white roses.
Yara was confused but thanked her while walking into the elevator going up to her floor.

As soon as I entered my condo, I took off my clothes hopping in the shower while scrubbing my body. Once I was done, I got dressed and walked over to my dining room table looking at the flowers seeing a note attached to them. I opened it and read the note.

'Thinking bout you. A hood nigga like me done got you flowers so you better be coming to the cookout. Love you, see you Saturday Chanel.'

From,
-K

Yara smiled while reading the letter as she laughed at his antics. She picked up her phone just now remembering to text him when she got home. Instead of texting him, she decided to just FaceTime him. Kentrell picked up on the second ring with his face in the camera. He looked high as hell.

"Wassam Chanel." He said smiling at me

"Heyy Ken. Thanking you for the flowers, I love them." I said smiling

"Fasho mamas, you been on my mind since you left, you got home safe?" He asked

'I love when he call me mamas' I thought

"Yeah I just got home. What you been up to since I left?" I asked setting my phone down on the dresser.

"Nun, been playing the game and high off the weed. I miss you tho, why you ain't here wit a nigga?" He asked tilting his head in the camera.

"Aww DeSean . You miss lil ole me ? I miss you too. But I'ma see you at the cookout though." I said putting my bonnet on.

"Mane, that's too much time apart. But yeah fasho I'll see you there. And you betta not bluff." He said moving around the room.

"When have I ever been known to bluff? I gotchu. And why you still up? It's like 12 pm?" I said looking at his sleepy face. He adjusted the phone on his pillow as he was laying under the covers looking at me.

"I stayed up to make sure you texted me that you got home safe lil guh." He said

"Aww well yes Ken, I'm home safe. You look tired, gone and get some sleep big head." I said as I put my pajama pants on climbing under my own covers.

"Aight, but stay on the phone though." He said

"Okay." I said turning my nightstand light off. It was a moment of silence as I closed my eyes before he said something.

"Goodnight Chanel." He said in his sleepy voice. He sounded so sexy saying my name.

"Good night, DeSean." I said before drifting off to sleep. My flight back home to Atlanta was tomorrow so I needed all the sleep I could get.

———————————————————————————

Y'all please don't get on my FaceTime edit. It was my first one. 😭

But this chapter was really to give you all insight on Yara's family. ☺️

Don't forget to comment and vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

839K 33.6K 49
"My life changed when I had my first daughter." * Aliyah's life had been flipped upside down in a matter of hours. It wasn't meant for her to be at t...
451K 20.1K 157
Sequel of his therapist (nba young boy) Jalanee is now trying to adjust to her new life without Kentrell,after the duo both decided to let go of thei...
140K 6.7K 38
Madison has been through a lot. She thought coming home would mean her life would start getting back to normal...until she met someone she'd never ev...
985K 44.5K 99
A girl who's lost her voice meets a boy who helps her find it. "As long as I'm living, ain't nobody gone fuck with you cause you can't talk. Or for a...