Knox (Marino Brothers Duet, #...

By TheFeveredBookaholic

Revenge. I'm familiar with it. You have to be when you're the firstborn son of a notorious mafia leader. Deat... More

Disclaimer
Dedication
Playlist
Character Aesthetics
Teasers
Chapter 1 - Knox
Chapter 2 - Maria
Chapter 4 - Maria
Chapter 5 - Knox
Chapter 6 - Maria
Chapter 7 - Maria
Chapter 8 - Knox
Chapter 9 - Maria
Chapter 10 - Knox
Chapter 11 - Maria
Chapter 12 - Knox
Chapter 13 - Maria
Chapter 14 - Knox
Chapter 15 - Maria
Chapter 16 - Knox
Chapter 17 - Maria
Chapter 18 - Knox
Chapter 19 - Knox
Chapter 20 - Maria
Chapter 21 - Knox
Chapter 22 - Maria
Chapter 23 - Maria
Chapter 24 - Knox
Chapter 25 - Maria
Chapter 26 - Knox
Chapter 27 - Maria
Chapter 28 - Knox
Chapter 29 - Maria
Chapter 30 - Maria
Chapter 31 - Knox
Chapter 32 - Knox
Chapter 33 - Maria
Chapter 34 - Knox
Chapter 35 - Knox
Epilogue - Felix
Author's Note
FELIX - BOOK TWO COVER
FELIX - BOOK TWO SYNOPSIS
FELIX UPDATE
Bonus Christmas Chapter

Chapter 3 - Knox

470K 14.3K 38.4K
By TheFeveredBookaholic

"How?"

I watch him, surprisingly stoic for someone whose insides feels like a fucking sauna of rage. The man I'm desperately trying not to skin alive and chop into fucking pieces glares at his soldier with barely restrained anger. The irony that he's completely ignorant to my own fury is not lost on me. But that's expected. Ignorant may very well be one of his best qualities compared to the others.

"How?" the asshole repeats. "It was six against two and you are the only one left alive—by their choice. They were barely armed, for fuck's sake!"

The solider keeps his eyes locked on his leader, jaw tight. "They are extremely skilled."

"You were trained by me."

"And it was not enough."

His body slumps to the floor immediately. A bullet went through his neck the second those words left his mouth. I look to my right at Felix who watches the scene unfold in disdain. It's a miracle he hasn't fired the remaining bullet in our gun yet.

"What do you require?" Patrizio Rossi Ferrera, consigliere, and the cunt who single-handedly ruined my fucking life, tucks the gun he shot his soldier with back into his waistband before locking eyes with me. His gaze is cold. Calculated. I know I'm wearing a similar expression. "Surely you didn't leave my solider alive out of the goodness of your heart."

"We didn't realize we were leaving the honours to you either," Felix drawls. He swings his blade between his fingers. The clench of his jaw is warning enough that he might launch the thing at any moment.

Ferrera looks to my brother and his scowl intensifies. "This is business between leaders. Who are you to talk to me?"

Felix moves but I'm faster. I barely manage to wind my arms around him to keep him from charging forward. He struggles against my hold and lets out an angered scream. It could be at me and not Ferrera but I can't let him go. He'll ruin the very plan we spent our entire incarceration perfecting.

Ferrera's soldiers reach for their guns and I reach for mine. There isn't a head in this room that doesn't have a goddamn nine millimetre aimed at it within seconds.

"Smettetela," Ferrera hisses. His soldiers comply and stop, lowering their weapons hastily. Ferrera narrows his eyes at me. "You too, coglione."

My teeth grind. He should watch who he's calling the asshole here. I keep my gun where it is. "Not happening."

Neither of us looks away, suspended in silent challenge. I raise a cool brow. I know how to play his game. I've been studying it for far too long. He'd do anything to not look weak and he especially won't allow anyone to think he feels threatened.

"Fine," he shrugs. "If this helps you sleep at night."

Felix jerks in my hold, another roar ripping out of him. I knew it wasn't going to be easy for us to come face-to-face with this fucker. I need to get this done now or it will all be for nothing.

"We're going to talk,"  I demand. "In private."

"Oh? And why would I take such an order from you?"

"Because you don't want to find out what will happen if you don't."

Ferrera chuckles like this is all some big joke. "You're threatening me? With what, if I may ask?"

"You want to go there?"

He spans his arms out. "I have nothing to hide."

"No?" I lick my lips, adrenaline making my mouth dry. "Wise up, old man. We had the unfortunate chance of meeting before. Just the once. And don't you fucking think for a second that I don't remember. Want to take a trip down memory lane with me?"

I see it hit him. His shoulders tighten just barely. To anyone else there's no change in his body language or facial expressions. But I know exactly what to look for because we are the only ones in this room that know what I'm talking about.

"Take us somewhere private," I order. "We will speak now."

A long and terse silence stretches out. His soldiers glance between us to see what their leader will do. They think Felix and I won't walk out of here alive. They have no idea they're about to roll out the motherfucking red carpet for us.

"Follow me," he finally says.

One of his men steps forward. "This could be a trap—"

"You're questioning me?" Ferrera snaps. The room goes quiet again and fills with tension. Ferrera is rigid when he walks past us and snaps his fingers in a silent gesture to follow him.

I let go of Felix but regret it immediately when his face contorts. "Let me kill him. Fuck the plan."

"Control yourself," I demand in a low voice. "This is bigger than us. You will not show this fucker the hand we're about to deal him."

When Felix reluctantly jerks his head in a nod, we follow Ferrera into one of the many cars in the parking lot of the prison. He gets in the front and I follow suit, ducking into the passenger seat. I can tell by the scowl on his face he's not a fan of my bold behaviour but I have no fucks to give. Felix gets in the back and he stares daggers into Ferrera, not bothering with manners any more than I am.

"You must know how this look," he finally says. "Openly threatening the consigliere does not bode well for the two men that just got out of jail and took six men down with them."

"Perhaps you should have considered that before you locked us up."

"It was for good reason," he sneers, shaking his head in disgust. "You two murdered your own mother, for fuck's sake."

More terse silence. Glares are passed between the three of us and the back of my jaw tightens at the mention of her. "We were framed."

"You were framed," he repeats with a humourless chuckle. "Then all is forgiven. Of course I believe you. You are very convincing."

"We were framed!" Felix snaps. "Why the fuck would we kill our own mother?"

"The murder weapons belonged to you. Your fingerprints were all over it and they were hidden in your rooms. Her autopsy revealed—"

"Her autopsy report was tampered with," I interrupt. "Don't be a fool, old man. You should know by now what it looks like when evidence is forged. You know the truth."

"The truth? I arrived when she was bled out and nothing more than a carcass." His eyes narrow. "I am consigliere. It was my duty to report you for your betrayal of the mafia the moment it was revealed you two killed her."

He talks to us of betrayal? My hand shoots forward without thinking and I tighten my fingers around his neck. Ferrera stills with surprise but maintains a hardened face despite the fact that it is gradually turning purple. He severely underestimates the lengths my brother and I would go to for our redemption.

"We betrayed no one," I whisper. "We had no reason to kill our mother."

"Except that she was mentally ill and a burden to you. You two barely acknowledged her when she went insane. You—"

His words are cut off with a harsh gasp when my fingers tighten around him. "Watch your mouth, or I'll carve each end of it to your ears."

"You're threatening me for doing my job? My loyalties are to the mafia before you. Seek your vengeance where it is appropriate to do so."

"But who better to seek it from than the very man who got us locked up?" Felix murmurs dauntingly. "We were in there for months."

His barely glances at my brother before narrowing his eyes on me. "You were still released much earlier than your sentence."

"Because I made a deal with the boss."

He wasn't expecting that. The flash of surprise on his face was unmistakable albeit brief. He struggles to say his next words with my hand still firmly holding his throat. "You spoke with Cavallo?"

"I did. We had a lot to talk about."

"I find that hard to believe. He would never accept a meeting with you without my presence."

"Are you willing to call my bluff?"

He says nothing but that might have to do with how tightly I'm gripping his throat. I release him and he sputters, coughing and gasping for air. The indents my fingers left behind on his neck provide me with some satisfaction.

"What's this have to do with me?" Ferrera demands. His voice is hoarse from the choking and I resist the smirk tugging at the corner of my mouth.

"The deal I made with Cavallo...let's just say I promised I would make peace with you and refrain from starting a war under two conditions."

Ferrera's gaze sharpen. He is smart to be suspicious.

"Let's face it—everyone in the mafia expects my brother and I to retaliate. Cavallo was relieved that I was willing to behave and granted my two conditions if I could get you to agree to them as well."

"Agree to what?" He barely gets the words out through his gritted teeth. He's brimming with impatience and it is far too satisfying to watch him squirm.

"Forging new alliances. Clearing our name and announcing our innocence."

"Do you even hear yourself? Give me one good reason why I should allow you murderers back into the family. One good reason why I should clear your names that are stained with guilt."

My chuckle is immediate. I can't help but laugh under my breath at his demands. One reason, he says. I have a motherfucking army of them.

"I thought as much." He smiles slowly. "You have nothing."

I rub my jaw to contain my laughter. As amusing as this has been, shit is about to get fucking serious. "Are you already forgetting what I said back there? I know things about you, pezzo di merda."

"Name something," he provokes.

Slowly, the corner of my mouth pulls up. What a beautiful fucking opening he just presented to me.

Felix grabs the back of his head to hold him in place as I lean down to speak in his ear. And then I drop the bomb on him. Whisper it dauntingly into his ear and revel in the way his body freezes for a moment. I utter the words he had no idea I had in my possession to begin with. It makes this all too sweeter.

"That...that is a lie," he seethes but the way he holds his breath says otherwise.

I lean back to face him again. "I thought you might say that."

I hold out my arm out for him to see and pull my sleeve up. Ferrera notices immediately, if I had to go by how his body locks up even tighter. I turn my forearm leisurely and taunt him with a piece of the past he thought he outran. Foolish bastard. We never fucking escape our pasts.

"I take it this is proof enough?" I murmur.

His raging blue eyes drag up, carefully and slowly, before meeting mine. They darken to a shade that resembles a sky just minutes away from night.

"How long?" he questions.

I'm assuming he means how long I've had it. "Long enough."

The look on his face is skeptical. Accusing. "And you didn't use this against me sooner?"

"You're aware that chess is my favourite game? I'm known to plan ten moves ahead and bide my time. I have the patience for it too."

"Plan?" He repeats, shoving Felix's hand off. It's obvious he's starting to understand just how dire this situation is for him. "Are you suggesting that I'm part of this plan?"

"Part of it? We couldn't do it without you, honey," Felix winks, a cold grin accompanying the excitement on his face. The moment we've both been waiting for is finally here.

Ferrera glances at my brother warily. Rightfully so. The air around Felix always charges up when he's ready to strike. You'd have to be incredibly dense not to feel it.

"If you don't do as we ask," I continue, commanding his attention back to me. "This gets out to everyone. The whole mafia will know. Your daughters will know."

I've never seen a man become rigid so fast. If it wasn't for the quickened rise and fall of his chest I would have thought he stopped breathing. He's finally giving me what I wanted the moment I laid eyes on him twenty minutes ago—fear.

I drag my middle finger back and forth across my lips. "Speaking of your daughters..."

"No," he snaps immediately. His panic is taking reign now. "You will leave them out of this. They've done nothing wrong."

"And that's exactly why their suffering will kill you inside."

He leans forward and gets in my face. When he speaks, his voice is hard as steel. "You will not go near them. My family is off limits."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Let's not be ironic here."

"We are Made Men. We have all done things we cannot take back. Don't speak to me as if you yourself are an innocent man. You've sinned just as I have."

"No," I immediately counter. This fucker is making it all too hard to not carve his skin from his body. "You don't want to do that. You know I know the truth. Drop your holier than thou act because I see right through it. We are not the same."

His nostrils flare. His body language is the poster image of him gradually losing control. "I will clear your name. Say you were framed and lead the investigation to find the true killers myself. Satisfied?"

I sit back in my seat. Watching him spiral is oddly calming. "You are negotiating like a toddler. The mafia will suspect that you were forced to do this. You need good reason to want to clear our names. And what better reason than an alliance—you and I on the same team?"

He knows where this is going. His hands curl into fists. "No. You can't—"

"You will hand your daughter to me for marriage. The eldest one, Marina."

"Mariana," he corrects vehemently. "Are you insane? I'll burn you to pieces before I willingly give her to you."

"You think you have a choice," I observe with amusement. I glance at my brother. "Does he have a choice, Felix?"

Felix grins. "Not a one, brother."

"Stop this." Ferrera grinds his jaw. "My daughter is not to be negotiated with. I will give you anything. Anything. But not her."

"But that's why I want her." I pull my suit jacket together, sensing our conversation is winding down. "Because she is the only thing you won't give up."

"What will she think? I have protected her all my life and now I send her into the hands of a killer? She will be suspicious."

"So let her. That will be my problem when she becomes my wife, unfortunate as that is. But tell me—will she be in more danger with me, or with the maifa when they all find out about you?"

He stiffens and I can see the defeat in his eyes. This is the moment he's realized that his world is about to fall apart and that I am the one responsible for it. He can't stop this or me. My lip curls.

"Do you really think the mafia will pardon your daughters for your sins? They're dead meat as soon as everyone finds out. So pick your poison—a dead daughter, or a daughter that belongs to me."

"This can't..." His voice is hoarse, panicked. "You can't do this. Not my daughter. Not my principessa."

"That is rather sweet. Maybe if you try begging?"

Felix laughs, eyeing Ferrera with cold and excited eyes. All of his earlier frustrations have dissipated. This is what we've been waiting for. To see this asshole beg at our feet, fall to our command. And to think it is only the beginning.

"Please," Ferrera finally rasps, forcing the words out. "Have mercy."

Mercy? The merciful were those who had something to fear or lose. I had neither. When you've lived through nightmares and seen true horror, you don't have any mercy to give because nobody gave it to you either.

"No." The humour in my tone is far gone. As entertaining as this has been, being face-to-face with this cocksucker doesn't bode well for my temper. I'm ready to move the fuck on. "The wedding will be at the end of the month. I will make all the necessary arrangements to show our fellow Familias how sincere I am about this union. You will make an announcement of our engagement and tell the mafia this is an act of peace, to right a wrong. Whatever bullshit you need to say to get it done. Because if you don't..."

I hold up my forearm again. Ferrera watches in disdain but I can see beyond that. In this moment he feels destroyed. And now I'm going to destroy everyone he loves too.

"Welcome to the family, stronzo." Felix ruffles Ferrera's hair with another laugh and then gets out of the car. I follow suit, slamming the door shut just as I see Ferrera punch the steering wheel in anger, not even bothering to attempt another fight. Even the worst of sinners know when they've lost.

Ferrera's soldiers watch from a distance. It's comical, the way they slowly reach for their guns but make no gesture to actually use them. If Ferrera wanted us dead he would hand out the orders. But no orders have been given and they know by now what will happen to them if they try to open fire.

"Are congratulations in order now that you have a fiancé?" Felix mocks. The dick is fucking loving this.

"The marriage is irrelevant, and so is the daughter. It's what will come of this union that matters."

"Just stick to the plan. Don't let a piece of ass distract you."

Though he is merely joking around, his accusations piss me off to no end. I keep my gaze straight ahead, feeling my resolve harden. "As long as Ferrera's blood runs through her veins, she will always be the enemy."

_________________________

A/N

This plot do be thicker than a bowl of oatmeal.

There's a lot of suspense and build up before the truth actually comes out. Some of the plot twists you might be able to figure out but some I hope to catch you by surprise with.

But the plot development, though...nothing hits like an arranged marriage story idc. Do you agree?

Please VOTE, comment and share if you liked this chapter!

Happy Reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 3.1K 33
โš ๏ธTOXIC LOVE! I've warned you guys so don't hate, there is no need just leave if you don't like it no one forces you guys to read itโš ๏ธ โš ๏ธI'll mute an...
757K 17.9K 51
"SSSSHHHHH... What did I say, you are here to listen, so let me complete. Your family's torture is not what I want. I want you, and now listen what I...
27 0 13
This is a *๐ฎ๐ง๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ฆ๐จ๐ง๐ฅ๐ฒ* written story about two people that were ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต blessed upon the throne. Having to break apart from the shadows of t...
212 2 6
Death has been following me since the day I was born. You are losing loved ones. You're losing friends. It's scary when you start to lose yourself. L...