Harry Potter and The Shadowed...

By itshannieee

After the final battle Harry learns some unsettling truths about himself and those who he trusts the most. Fo... More

The bonds that hold us
Unlocked Potential
A look beneath a mask
The master of Three
Hello Old world, I'm back
Honey I'm home
Snake in the nest
Revenge served cold
Magical Maze's
Allies and Enemies
Friends, old and new
A web is cast
Then there were three
Let the disillusionment begin
Black family values
new experiences and namely friends
Fate really does like certain events
Unravelling a web
Far fetched reality
Four out of five
Second year
A peacock and two weasels
Building bridges
Secret chambers and sacred maps
How to get rid of a peacock
foolish plans of a peacock
Theft and compulsions all around
A diary
yuletide
An inner circle
Mortem Magicae
Call me Marvolo
A complete soul, more or less..
Relocation
A baby Dark Lord in the making
Part two
It begins
It's not all sunshine and daisies
Bug Hunting
The First Steps
Will there be dragons?
Magical interventions
I see fire
How to catch a goat
End of a Legend
A monster of our own making

Traditions

20.2K 827 541
By itshannieee

Previously

"So you think we should help them - muggleborns, I mean - instead of looking down on them?" Draco asked, the word help showing his clear reluctance.

"Yes, they just need to be taught. We shouldn't sacrifice our world for them, they just need to be shown how to embrace it."

The three Slytherins shared a look: Blaise clearly the most willing to see Harry's point of view. Draco, however, did look like he was considering Harry's words. Harry's other friends all looked intrigued, especially with how Hannah and Susan were whispering together.

"You've planted the seeds now, my Lord. Soon they will grow and flourish," Luna whispered quietly so only Harry heard.

Harry smiled. Perhaps making Draco see the error in his ways wouldn't be as hard as he had feared.

~

October 1992, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

September quickly turned into October and Harry was soon watching the trees start to change. He found himself happy he had stood up to Lockhart in his first lesson. After serving his detention with Flitwick, which was really just him sitting in the Charms professor's office doing his homework for an hour after dinner, he quickly inspired the rest of the school to question the man's ability and suitability to teach. Owls and howlers had soon started to arrive.

However, today topped it when he caught sight of the headline of the Prophet. Reading, he could feel the smirk forming: Hogwarts: From World-Class to Classless!

"Did you hear? The entire 7th year class is now refusing to go to his lessons. They say they would rather teach themselves," Blaise said as he came to sit down, paper in his hands.

They were currently at lunch and had decided to sit at the Slytherin table for the first time. The older years were shooting Harry and some of their group odd looks but they were ignoring him for the most part. It had gotten out how close the patriarch of the Malfoy family was to the Potter-Black heir and, adding Sirius and his reputation to the mix as well as Harry's unexpected attitude and intelligence, even the older year Slytherins were willing to give him a chance.

Harry smirked - he had gone back to Defence only once since his first lesson and, predictably, he had found it to be ridiculous. Lockhart had spent half an hour talking about heroic battles he had fought in, claiming to have done such outrageous and practically impossible feats of magic that Harry had feared his eyes would roll out of his head. It was laughable. The man was a fool; he could hardly disarm a dummy, let alone engage in a one versus five all out duel with vampires.

Even his friends had started to follow his example by going to their Head of House and asking for self-study. In Neville's case, as McGonagall had flat out refused, he had taken to feeling 'unwell' whenever Defence came about.

Harry had heard back from Lucius a few days after he had sent his letter.

~

Harrison,

I thank you for bringing such a shocking problem to my notice. Draco has also written to me and shared his concerns and I am appalled at the quality of staff Dumbledore has hired.

As a member of the Board and, more importantly, a parent, I shall do everything in my power to see to it that you do not have to put up with such standards of teaching for long. It's shameful that Hogwarts, which was once heralded as the best school for witchcraft and wizardry, has let its standards fall so low. Hopefully, I shall have this outrageous situation dealt with and you will not have to suffer for long, however I fear the headmaster will foil any attempts I make to rectify the situation. Therefore my actions may take longer than initially expected.

I am grateful for the example of teaching material that you sent, it shall go a long way in proving the quality of the lessons. Hopefully the rest of your teachers and classes are going well and, as always, if you ever need any help or advice, I shall always be willing to offer it.

Lucius Malfoy

~

Meanwhile

September, Grimmauld Place, London

Sirius laughed as he read the letter Harry had sent him—the boy really did have the best qualities from them all. He had Lily's brains, James' sense of humour, and the Black cunning. How he had managed to orchestrate a school wide boycott he would never know; that level of manipulation was simply obscene.

Remus, recognising the laugh, sighed. "What's he done this time?"

Sirius grinned. "I'll be honest, Remy - how he managed to persuade the hat not to put him in Slytherin I will never know."

"Oh?"

"He's only managed to get the entire school to boycott their Defence lessons. Apparently Dumbledore hired Gilderoy Lockhart and Harry is refusing to go. Why didn't we do something like that?"

Remus laughed. "We wouldn't have been able to pull it off. How on earth did that fool get a job teaching children?"

"Dumbledore must be getting desperate."

"He probably spent the entire summer focused on us and Harry and left it until the last moment, the manipulative old goat."

"You know, Harry did mention that I should try to take my seat on the School Governors' Board. I'm sure that with the right push, Lucius and I could make Dumbledore's job a lot harder."

Remus nodded. Although he was still wary around the former Death Eater, he could recognise the fact that Lucius Malfoy was an awfully useful ally and he did appear to genuinely like Harry.

~

Lucius Malfoy had just finished replying to the letters from both his son and Harrison when a House-Elf popped up saying Lord Black wished to speak to him through the floo.

Standing, Lucius walked to the parlour and saw Sirius' face in the green flames.

"Sirius, won't you please step through? I do hate to talk through the fire."

"Erm, sure. I'm not dressed for company though," Sirius said, looking at his black trousers and dark red shirt. He knew that to purebloods like Lucius, one wasn't dressed unless in robes. Sirius, however, had fallen into the habit of not wearing them in the house, which didn't bother either Remus or Harry.

"It is fine, we are family after all," Lucius said, stepping back so Sirius could walk through.

Sirius stepped into the manor and wordlessly removed any soot from his clothing.

"Let's take this to my office," Lucius said, motioning Sirius to follow him.

He hadn't had chance to talk to the man much on his own; there had always been a buffer between them, either Harry, Remus, or Narcissa. Therefore, he didn't quite know how to deal with him. He could still remember Sirius from the last war and how he had fought so fearlessly for the Light and his reputation had been feared by Lucius and the other Death Eaters. All Blacks were famed for their duelling - even Narcissa could be deadly if the situation arose.

However, he did recognise that Sirius had changed; the betrayal by Dumbledore at the end of the war had left its mark on the man. Yes, he had recovered physically, magically, and mentally, but he was different. Sirius was much more like the boy Lucius had known growing up. He seemed to no longer be pretending to be a Light wizard and seemed willing to actually accept himself and his magic. Lucius suspected Harry's influence as he had no doubt that the boy was as Dark as they come.

"Would you like something to drink?" Lucius offered, ever the good host.

"Perhaps a cup of tea," Sirius said.

Lucius clicked his fingers and summoned an elf. "Two cups of tea," he ordered before turning back. "Not that I am not happy to have you here, for I am. However, I do find myself at a loss at to the reason for your visit."

"Right. Well, I'm sure you've heard about Lockhart and Harry's influence on the school resulting in a boycott?"

"Yes, both Harrison and Draco wrote to me."

"Well, I'm sure you're aware that as Lord Black, I have a seat on the Board of Governors."

"Indeed," Lucius said, now seeing the reason.

"I was hoping you would put forward my recommendation so that I can claim my seat. I want to help Harry to get rid of Lockhart and, as a governor, I would have more power to do so. What was Dumbledore thinking, hiring that man?"

"I will be happy to put your name forward," Lucius said. "As for Lockhart - well. I doubt he will remain for the entire year after we inform the others of his teaching standards."

"How was he hired anyway? I thought the governors had a say in new teachers," Sirius asked.

"We should. However, Dumbledore, in his esteemed wisdom, thinks himself above that rule. And, as the Defence position always needs to be refilled, the Board grew tired of fighting him and allowed him his choice. But now I think we shall be able to argue our point and have the power returned to us," Lucius said, his smirk dark as he thought about getting one up on Dumbledore.

"That man really doesn't know when to stop," Sirius grumbled.

"Oh? I had believed your business with him is finished."

"He is still obsessed with Harry. I worry for him now, being at the school with him," Sirius confessed.

"I'm sure he will be fine. From what I have seen and know, Harry isn't somebody who needs protection."

"I know, but still it's a father's job to worry, right?"

"It is indeed."

~

October 1992, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

After receiving the letter, Harry noticed an increase in the number of students questioning the quality of teaching, particularly in Defence. It looked like Lucius had brought to light just how bad it was to the other parents and Board members and they in turn questioned their children. The results were obvious with a record number of students 'forgetting' and feeling 'unwell' during Defence, leading to low attendance.

All because of his boycott, Harry had five detentions with Flitwick; detentions in which he was allowed to learn Defence from the textbooks or given practical demonstrations with the former duelling champion. Often there would be other members of his House, even those from different years, in his detentions as they too started to avoid the peacock's lessons.

However, Harry soon found the answer to his problems. Looking up the school rules, Harry found something that hadn't actually been used in the last 200 years: "If a student feels unable to attend a lesson, be it for personal, medical, or religious reasons, then they can be excused from attendance with the understanding that they will self study in preparation for the end of year examinations. This option is available with the permission of said student's legal guardian and Head of House, as long as the materials requested for the lesson are available".

After Harry shared this information with Flitwick and the rest of the students, he wasn't surprised to see the number of absences increase. Therefore, when he received a note from Dumbledore asking for his presence, Harry wasn't surprised. He had been shocked when he hadn't been immediately called up to the man's office at the start of term; he had thought the man would want to get his claws back into him immediately after losing his control of him to Sirius in the summer.

~

Harry,

I would appreciate if you would join me for a quick chat and a spot of tea this afternoon.

Oh, and today I am enjoying acid pops.

Albus Dumbledore,

Order of Merlin, First Class
Grand Sorcerer
Chief Warlock
Supreme Mugwump of the International Confed. of Wizards

~

What did surprise Harry was the use of all his titles. Then again, maybe he was hoping to intimidate him...?

Walking up to the office once his lessons were finished for the day, Harry sighed when he heard his name being called.

"Oh, there you are Harry," Ginny Weasley said, practically running at him.

"Ginevra," Harry greeted coolly. She had taken to following him around like a love sick puppy. It not only grated on his nerves, but also his friends; she would butt into their conversations and be extremely rude and argue with them like Ron had in the previous year. However, unlike him, she was better at keeping her cool. This made her even more annoying in his opinion as it usually meant he had to be in her presence for longer.

"I've told you before, silly, call me Ginny," she said, latching onto his arm and smiling sweetly up at him.

Harry hid his grimace of disgust and freed his arm from her. "What do you want, Ginevra?"

Ginny fought to keep calm. She had been flirting with him for over a month and yet he still refused to even call her Ginny. Ron had warned her that he was a dirty snake, but she had thought she would be able to win him over. She was beautiful, after all, and any boy would be lucky to have her; her mom had told her that all her life and she knew it was true. She even looked like Harry's mother - they would look perfect together, just like his parents. Dumbledore had promised her that she would get him, that his fame and fortune would be hers if she could get him to fall in love with her, and she would not fail. She deserved all of it, everything.

"I want to spend some time with you. You're my friend, after all," she said, making sure to bat her eyelashes like her mother had taught her.

Harry fought to not roll his eyes. "You don't know me, Ginevra."

"But I could. I would love to get to know you; surely you want to get to know me better as well?"

"Not particularly," Harry said honestly.

Ginny barely contained her shriek of fury and instead let out a high-pitched laugh. "You're so funny, Harry."

Harry did roll his eyes then. "I wasn't joking."

Ginny was at a loss for words. Seeing this, Harry placed even more distance between them. "I have to go, the headmaster wishes to see me."

Ginny nodded and smiled brightly. "That's nice, you should go talk to him. He really is such a great wizard."

"Indeed."

"Well, I'll let you go then, Harry."

Harry just nodded and quickly walked away from the persistent redhead. No matter how blunt he was with her, she kept coming back.

~

Walking into the headmaster's office, Harry let his eyes wander over the portraits of the previous headmasters. When he spotted Phineas, he sent the man a sly smirk and got a matching one in response. The portrait had heard what his heir had done and was proud of the Slytherin move; Harrison James Potter-Black really was a force to be reckoned with. How he forced Albus to lose his genial mask was hilarious.

"Harry my boy, it's good to see you," Albus said, eyes twinkling madly. He was struggling to resist his desire to curse the damned child.

"Headmaster," Harry greeted, his voice neutral. He himself fought to not show his anger at being called 'my boy' or simply being in the man's presence.

"Take a seat, my boy. Would you like some tea or perhaps a lemon drop?"

Harry looked at the offered sweets with barely concealed disgust. He wondered idly if the man doped them as he always offered them out.

"No thank you, headmaster. What is it you wanted to speak with me about?" Harry asked, his voice still neutral.

Albus held back his snarl - how dare the little brat talk to him like that. Why couldn't he do as he was told? He was ruining decades worth of plans and making his life much more difficult. Thanks to the boy he had the ministry investigating him and he was barely keeping hold of his titles—both Chief Warlock and as the Head of the ICW. Then, to make matters worse, he had somehow gotten the entire student body to boycott their Defence lessons. The boy was turning out to be a menace; and now that he had his Heir ring, Albus was forced to stop his magical manipulations. Then, to top it all off, the Board was on his back, demanding they get involved to fix the issue and making him look incompetent. Lucius Malfoy, with the help of Sirius - who had turned into just another Dark arts worshiping fool like the rest of his no good family - were both behind the troubles he was facing with the directors. Their alliance was just showing the world that Black really was just as bad as the rest of his blood.

"I simply wished to clear the air. I know you may hold some anger and even resentment towards me because of the actions of your relatives; however, I promise you Harry that I never knew," he lied. Had he known the little brat would turn out like this, he would have made his relatives beat him harder.

Harry withheld his snort of contempt. "I see."

"Had I known, I would have been much more involved in your life. However, I wanted you to grow up to be a normal happy boy, not bogged down by your fame or the stress that came with it. You needed protection from the magical word."

"Still, you never once thought to check?" Harry said, watching as the portraits of the other headmasters all sent Dumbledore dark glances. He could hear some mutterings, but he focused his attention on the lying old man in front of him instead of listening to them bad mouth the present headmaster.

"No, and that was a mistake on my part. I truly am sorry," Albus said, making sure to send Harry a sad smile. 'Sorry you didn't turn out right, you no good brat,' Albus thought.

"What's done is done. I would rather move on," Harry said.

Albus internally smirked, thinking Harry meant he was happy to move on and forgive his actions.

"Excellent. That's very mature of you."

"Is that all, headmaster?" Harry asked, wanting to leave before he cursed the old man.

"Sadly not," Albus said. He was furious with the boy; he had just received another howler and it was all the brat's fault. "Now Harry, I must say I am disappointed in you. Last year we had no issues with your behaviour. However, this year you have been acting out. I can't help but wonder if perhaps your home life is the issue."

Harry growled under his breath. "Acting out, sir?" Harry couldn't believe he wanted to blame Sirius and Remus for his acting out. Sure, Harry was setting more things in motion this year, but the fact the man wished to blame his guardians infuriated him. He had heard from Sirius and knew he and Lucius had started to work on the Board of Governors and together were weakening Dumbledore's image.

"Yes, Harry. I know it is you behind the Defence Against the Dark Arts boycott," he said, sending the boy a disappointed look.

"Oh, professor?"

"Don't act as though you don't know what I'm talking about. It was you who first started this and now I am being pelted with letters and owls demanding to know why students are not attending their lessons. Your actions have left me in quite a situation, Harry."

"I'm sorry about that professor, that wasn't my intention—" Harry said before being cut off.

"Good, then you will return to your lessons. You must know how important Defence Against the Dark Arts is; you of all people should realise how the Dark arts are evil."

Harry fought to not narrow his eyes. "As I was saying, it wasn't my intention, but I will not be attending Mr. Lockhart's lessons. The man is a fraud."

Albus narrowed his eyes. "Detention, Mr. Potter. Such words have serious consequences. Now, you will return to his lessons or you will find yourself in even more trouble. Do I make myself clear?"

"I'm sorry, headmaster, but I will not," Harry said. "I am happy to sit for the end of year tests now to prove I do not need to attend his so called lessons."

"That is enough. You are a child and you will obey me."

Harry fought to not react. "Actually, professor, if you look up the Hogwarts school rules, you will see that a student can forgo attending a lesson if they have consent for both their Head of House and their guardian. As long as they spend sufficient time self studying the course content with the appropriate materials, the student is allowed to skip a class. I have both, therefore I will not be attending his classes. And as all the materials for his lessons are books, then every other student is able to do the same as long as they have permission."

Albus clenched his teeth to contain his hiss of fury. "I see," he said. 'How dare he? Now I'll have students refusing to go to classes all the time!'

Harry contained his glee at watching the old man lose his cool. "Now, is that all professor?"

"Yes, you may go now."

Harry nodded and stood, calmly walking away from the old man.

After the door had closed and Albus felt the wards attached to the guardian let Harry leave, he exploded in anger. The boy was nothing like he was supposed to be! Albus feared that most, if not all, of his compulsions had failed. It seemed like only his magical blocks had remained as the boy did not appear to be overly strong. Picking up a plate, Albus sent it crashing into the wall, the destruction satisfying him momentarily.

A soft trilling caught his attention and Albus waved his wand, dissolving the concealment charm. Inside a magically binding cage was Fawkes. The phoenix had once been his familiar but had slowly stopped listening to him, and now Albus had to resort to caging the bird and binding his power. The golden eyes of the phoenix drilled into him, the look both condemning and sad.

~

After his meeting with Dumbledore, nothing really exciting happened for Harry. He soon found October was nearing its end and the Halloween feast was fast approaching.

Harry and his friends had once again taken to haunting the library. It was one of the few places in the castle where groups from different Houses could congregate together without issue.

It also helped that every time Ginny would appear, Harry was able to easily lose her in the stacks. He swore the girl was worse than Ron when it came to stalking him. She would pop up out of nowhere and attach herself to his person at random intervals. Draco found it hilarious and kept offering to burn his robes every time Harry managed to escape.

Realising how much time had already past, Harry soon started thinking about Halloween, but more importantly Samhain. Harry was interested in expanding his knowledge of wizarding traditions and customs. He had read a few books before he had been sent back, so he already had a good base of knowledge; however, when he had been arguing with Draco and his friends he realised that while he did know the basics, he didn't actually know much about the actual holiday traditions and how to celebrate them.

Harry knew Samhain was one of the banned holidays - well, not so much as banned, but its original celebration ritual was made illegal. Harry knew it contained blood, so Dumbledore and his Light followers had worked to have it made illegal along with all Blood magic. Now Blood magic was ministry controlled and regulated. Another example of magic Dumbledore deemed unfit for the world alongside Blood magic was Soul magic. Alchemy, the Dark arts, ancient history, spell crafting, wizarding studies, political studies, and magical languages were banned too; all of which had disappeared from the Hogwarts curriculum. Well, Soul magic had never been on there; however, all of the books on the subject had been removed from the library.

Looking up the traditional celebration, Harry found himself intrigued and curious. The ritual itself was beautiful and Harry felt his anger and hatred at the man grow. 'How could he ban something so magical from the world?' The celebration consisted of creating a rune circle, within the centre of which a bowl of purified water is placed. Then all those attending who wanted to reach out to their ancestors and deceased relatives simply added a drop of their blood. Once that is done, the water is set alight and those whose blood is added are able to converse with the dead through visions. Although it is noted as converse, it's not actual conversations which occur, but more visions and feelings. These visions vary in length but once they are over, participants usually feel purified, their magic stronger and more settled.

Reading the passage, Harry growled. How could Dumbledore see this as Dark? Was the man truly so blinded by his fear of Dark magic that he couldn't see the beauty and benefit of such a ritual?

"What's got you scowling?" Neville asked, noticing Harry's face as he finished reading.

"I was just thinking about Samhain and how ridiculous it is that we're unable to celebrate it properly without breaking the law."

"I know. Father and some of his political allies have been trying for years to get the law revoked, but Dumbledore and his goons won't allow it. He says it's Dark magic and allowing people, especially children, will tempt them towards the Dark arts and lead them down a dangerous path," Draco sneered, showing how ludicrous he thought the law was.

Harry snorted. "That's ridiculous."

"I know. This will be the first year that I won't be able to take part in a proper celebration," Draco admitted, obviously sad and annoyed by the fact.

"Same here - even my gran thinks the laws are ridiculous," Neville said, shocking most of the group.

"I didn't know you celebrated Samhain in the traditional way, Neville," Pansy said. "I would have thought your family would follow Dumbledore's example." Her words thankfully didn't come across as malicious, simply curious.

Neville blushed and looked around quickly. Seeing his nerves, Harry flicked his wrist and cast a privacy charm around himself and his friends.

"Thanks, Harry," Neville said, now used to Harry's casual use of spells well beyond their age group.

"Wow, that's a fifth year spell," Blaise said, looking at Harry in shock.

"What can I say - people call me a prodigy." Harry said plainly, smirking to show he was joking. "Anyway Neville, you were saying?"

"Oh, yeah. Well, even though my family is Light, we still celebrate the Olde ways. The House of Longbottom is an Ancient and Noble one, and my gran thinks it's important that, as the Heir, I knew all of the proper traditions and customs. Olde magic is Neutral, it's only in the last few years that it was deemed Dark and banned."

"My aunt said our family used to do the same, we only stopped because of her job. She said she couldn't disobey the law being the Head of the DMLE, even if she didn't agree with it," Susan said.

"Same here," Hannah added.

"But you would celebrate if you had the chance?" Harry asked, curious as an idea formed.

The girls shared a glance before nodding. "Yes, I've always been curious," Susan confessed.

Harry nodded and hummed as inspiration hit him. "I think I may have a way for us to celebrate, here at Hogwarts."

"How? You know if we get caught Dumbledore would happily throw us out. He's been in a particularly foul mood ever since you found that old school rule," Blaise said.

"Yeah, Blaise is right. The headmaster has been watching you like a hawk, Harry," Neville said.

"The Room of Requirement," Harry said.

"The room of what?" Hannah asked.

"The Come and Go room," Luna said, smiling and nodding.

"It's a secret room on the 7th floor. If you walk in front of the dancing troll painting three times, it will appear and provide you with whatever you need. If you wanted a bedroom, it would be one, a training room, or even a fully stocked potions lab."

"But wouldn't the wards pick up on the ritual?" Pansy asked, thinking about the possible failures. She would love to celebrate, but only if she wouldn't be caught.

"No, the room hides you from the wards," Harry said. They had found that out during the second war.

"But what about the rune circle? None of us actually know runes," Draco asked.

"Leave that to me," Harry said. He had looked at the book and was sure he would be able to recreate a working rune circle. His memory of the book was firmly in place.

~

October 31st 1992, the Room of Requirement

Harry sat back and admired the circle of runes he had drawn. Pushing his magic into them, he was happy when he felt the circle complete itself.

He had written to Sirius and told him about his plans to perform the traditional ceremony and hadn't been shocked to learn that both he and Remus would also be taking part in a ceremony with the Malfoys. Sirius confessed that he and James, and eventually Remus and Lily, had always performed the Olde rites together while at school. Harry hadn't been that shocked to learn that; both his father and Sirius were from Olde families and they were obviously not completely biased about Blood magic as they had used a blood adoption.

Thinking about what else he needed, Harry was happy when the room conjured a bowl full of purified water for him.

"Thank you," he whispered, speaking to Hogwarts herself. Harry felt a slight warmth wash over him for a second and wondered if he was just imagining it or if the castle really was sentient.

Casting a quick Tempus, Harry saw that the first group of his friends should be arriving soon. He had told them to come in two separate groups just in case people were watching. Draco, Pansy, and Blaise appeared first.

"This is amazing," Blaise said when he entered the room. "It can really turn into anything we would need?"

"Yes," Harry told him, smiling.

"Merlin, Harry, did you draw this?" Pansy asked once she was finished studying the rune circle.

"I did," Harry admitted.

"It's amazing. I didn't think you had celebrated Samhain before."

"I haven't but I saw a picture of the needed rune circle."

"Wait, you drew this from memory?" Pansy asked, clearly shocked enough to let her pureblood mask fall. All the Slytherins were slowly letting themselves act more normal around Harry and the rest of their group. In public they would still be emotionless, but when alone they would show more of their true selves.

"I did, but I remembered the room could give me any book I wanted, so I checked against them."

"Well, it looks fantastic," Draco praised.

Just then the others arrived and Luna danced towards Harry, smiling brightly. "Tonight's a good night, my Lord," she said.

Getting his friends in position, all sitting on the floor on comfortable cushions provided by the room, Harry focused his magic and set the bowl of water alight with a flick of his wand.

The effect was immediate for Harry - he felt like he was floating in water. He was completely at peace and one with his magic. He could not see or hear much, but he felt like he was surrounded by love and affection. He felt safe.

Harry soon recognised a feeling in this space space. He had only associated it with one being and, before his eyes, a figure appeared quickly from the nothingness. Death.

"Master, I am surprised to see you here in my realm. You've never before crossed on Samhain."

"Hello, Death," Harry greeted. "And no, I've never been part of a traditional Samhain ritual. I never knew how to do one or even what one was. They're illegal now thanks to Dumbledore."

"The number who partake each year is dwindling," Death said.

Harry nodded, not surprised. "I see. Do you mind? I mean, you have no problem with the ritual?"

Death stared at Harry from beneath his shadowed cloak. "No, the walls between these realms are at their weakest tonight. The ritual is my gift to Magic. For your people to know peace and love is eternal in the afterlife."

"Then I thank you," Harry said, surprised that the being that invoked such fear would be even slightly sentimental.

Death seemed to growth, the shadows increasing. "I shall leave you, Master, to your family."

As quickly as Death had appeared, He disappeared and Harry once again found himself surrounded by warmth and protection. He imagined that this was what children felt like when in the arms of their parents.

Eventually Harry felt himself falling back into his body and, after Merlin knows how long, he was able to open his eyes.

"You've been gone the longest, my lord," Luna said. The rest of Harry's friends were all sitting on a table that had appeared and seemed to be eating a selection of sweets and cakes. The room must have provided them a snack as Harry guessed they had missed the feast.

"I see," Harry said. He felt light and happy, like the love from his experience was still with him.

"I only just got back, myself. My mother was very happy to speak to me," Luna said.

Harry tilted his head. "You were able to actually speak to your mother?" he asked.

"Oh, yes," Luna said. "She always has so much to say. She can only talk once a year and has to cram to get it all said."

Harry nodded. "Was she like you, your mother?" Harry asked.

"Like me, my lord?"

"Able to see beyond the scopes of us lesser beings?" he said, smiling cheekily.

Luna giggled. "She was," she admitted.

"Then I'm sure she was a remarkable woman and I am sorry I never got the chance to meet her."

"Oh, she likes you. She told me as much. She also likes how you did my hair today, she's happy that we're friends."

The words made Harry smile. Luna's hair was up in a bun today, with plaits wrapping the bun to her head, it was the fanciest thing he could do, and he personally thought his hair dressing skills were improving.

"Let's join the others before they eat all of the food," he said, offering Luna his arm.

~

After the success of the Samhain ritual, Harry found his friends seemed to blend and integrate easier than before. Now Harry wouldn't be shocked to see Draco talking to Hannah and Susan, Neville and Pansy studying together, or even Blaise and Luna gossiping. They all seemed to really relax and accept each other in a way they hadn't before. Even Pansy seemed more willing to listen to Luna; she was still sceptical, but now she at least listened.

It was while they were sitting out in the courtyard, enjoying what would probably be the last sunny day of the year, when Harry felt eyes on him.

Looking up from plating Luna's hair, Harry saw Dumbledore staring at him, his blue eyes boring into his emerald.

Albus knew that Harry had done something - his magic and that of his little friends all seemed to suddenly grow and they radiated with power. It wasn't great power like himself, but a calm power that was mature for their young age. It was like they had performed that damned ritual, but Albus knew they couldn't have. He would have felt it if they had performed any Olde Blood magic within the wards of Hogwarts.

Harry watched the twinkling eyes and withheld his sneer.

"Hello, Harry."

Harry groaned. His eye battle with Dumbledore had distracted him from Ginny's approach.

"Ginevra," he said, tying off a plat and pulling his hands away. He didn't want to hurt Luna by accident if he got angry and distracted.

"Honestly Harry, why must you insist on this formality? Call me Ginny," the redhead said, rolling her eyes. However, Harry noticed how her brown eyes stared hatefully at the small blonde in front of him.

"What do you want this time, Ginevra?" Harry asked.

"I was wondering where you were the other day during the feast. You and your friends all missed it." Her eyes held a gleam that Harry recognised.

"I tend not to like celebrating the day I was made an orphan. My friends joined me and we spent the night together away from the crowd," Harry said.

Harry watched Dumbledore's eyes narrowed—obviously, the man was listening. Ginny, however, nodded. "Oh, yeah. Why didn't you say anything, Harry? I would have happily helped you," she said, batting her lashes.

"I wanted to be with my friends," Harry repeated. He was being blunt but, honestly, he didn't care anymore.

Ginny flushed. "Yes, well, I could have helped."

Harry rolled his eyes at how petulant she sounded. "I'm sure," he said dryly.

Ginny ground her teeth together. Why was he being so difficult? "Really Harry, I want to help you. We could be great friends."

Harry looked around at the mixed group of friends he had found before looking back at Ginny. "I think I'm alright, to be honest."

"But—"

"Enough, Weaslette! Harry doesn't want you here and neither do we," Draco finally burst out. He hated how the redheaded menace would always appear and attach herself to Harry.

Ginny sent him a dark look. "Please, like I would listen to you, you slimy snake."

"You should. Unlike you, Harry actually wants to be my friend," Draco said haughtily.

"Well, he obviously hasn't realised how terrible you are!"

"Hey, Draco's not terrible," Neville defended. He and Draco had bonded over their pranks.

"And you, you're just as bad. You're a Gryffindor, yet you're supporting a snake!"

"Your point?" Pansy said, giving Ginny a droll look.

"He's a traitor!" Ginny said, sending Neville a glare. She still hadn't forgiven him for making Harry laugh at her weeks ago.

Harry rolled his eyes at the irony. "They're my friends. Now, I think it's best if you left, Ms. Weasley."

Ginny gaped. "But—"

"Goodbye, Ginny," Luna said, sending the redhead a sweet smile and wave. Before she insisted Harry finish her hair.

Ginny let out a small snarl and turned with a huff. If she didn't get Harry to start liking her back soon, then she was done for. Dumbledore was already angry enough about the Lockhart situation. She didn't understand how he could resist her—she was perfect! She was smart, funny, beautiful - she even liked quidditch! She was so much better that that weirdo Loony Lovegood!

What was she doing wrong?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 34.8K 89
When Harry got hit by the killing curse, he thought that would be the end of his life. He was happy that he could reunite with his loved ones in the...
40.6M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...
103K 2.5K 8
"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...Born to those who have thrice defied him,born as the seventh month dies...And the Dark...
1.1M 47.9K 94
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC