Harry Potter and The Shadowed...

By itshannieee

After the final battle Harry learns some unsettling truths about himself and those who he trusts the most. Fo... More

The bonds that hold us
Unlocked Potential
A look beneath a mask
The master of Three
Hello Old world, I'm back
Honey I'm home
Snake in the nest
Revenge served cold
Magical Maze's
Friends, old and new
A web is cast
Then there were three
Let the disillusionment begin
Black family values
new experiences and namely friends
Fate really does like certain events
Unravelling a web
Far fetched reality
Four out of five
Second year
A peacock and two weasels
Traditions
Building bridges
Secret chambers and sacred maps
How to get rid of a peacock
foolish plans of a peacock
Theft and compulsions all around
A diary
yuletide
An inner circle
Mortem Magicae
Call me Marvolo
A complete soul, more or less..
Relocation
A baby Dark Lord in the making
Part two
It begins
It's not all sunshine and daisies
Bug Hunting
The First Steps
Will there be dragons?
Magical interventions
I see fire
How to catch a goat
End of a Legend
A monster of our own making

Allies and Enemies

27K 925 428
By itshannieee

Previously

Thinking about that, Harry considered ways of training up his magical stamina; it would be hard to do it undetected, but he thought the benefits would be worth it. He had gained control over his new power levels, no longer having bursts of magic when he was angry, but he had yet to really explore them. Harry had kept his power masked pretty much constantly; stretching it would probably do his a world of good.

Making sure not to act suspicious when he finally went down to lunch, Harry made sure to casually look around and observed the staff. He didn't notice anything off and concluded that his plan had worked. He had gotten away with taking the stone.

Thinking back on his conversation with Death, Harry almost wondered if he had imagined it in his sleep deprived state, before he flicked the thought away.

~

January 1992 Hogwarts

When the students returned the next day, Harry was pleased to find himself back in the company of Neville and the girls.

"So, how was your holiday? Did you do anything interesting?" Hannah asked.

Harry smirked internally when he thought about all he had accomplished, but outwardly he remained passive. "Not really, I mainly just tried to ignore Ronald," Harry replied.

"Well, next time you will just have to take us up on our offers to have you over," Susan said.

"I'll think about it, I promise," Harry replied.

"You had better," she said before smiling. "Oh, and I wanted to thank you again for the hair pins. They really are beautiful."

"It's okay, Sues, I'm glad you like them. The book you got me was amazing as well," Harry said. He had started to read it just that morning and found that it gave clear instructions and suggestions about how to advance in creating mind shields and protections.

After that, the group went on to talk about presents and their holidays, as though they hadn't already told each other through owls. Harry didn't mind as he sat silently and observed his friends.

~

Harry had been called up to Flitwick's office just after Christmas to have a chat with him; the meetings were for all first years to see how they were settling. Harry had been nervous about Flitwick as he wasn't sure if his goblin heritage would make him pick up on Harry's abnormalities. However, the diminutive professor hadn't, or, at least, he hadn't made it known he sensed anything different.

"Hello, Harry," the Charms professor had greeted jovially.

"Good afternoon, sir," Harry replied. He hadn't really ever interacted with the part-goblin in his last life and was surprised to see how proactive he was in managing his house compared to McGonagall. He always spent the morning of every other Sunday in the common room, making himself available to help his students.

"Why don't you take a seat for me, Harry?" Flitwick suggested.

Sitting in the offered chair, Harry looked up and waited.

"Well Harry, from looking at your scores from this past term, I have to say: I am extremely proud of you. You're at the top of all of your classes and you're producing results that are well beyond the normal capabilities of a first year student."

Harry contained his scowl. He had tried to bring his work level down, but even with that he outclassed his peers by a considerable margin. "Thank you, sir," he said. He didn't mind being thought of as a prodigy, but he felt bad for his peers competing against him.

"Now, from looking at your results, I can clearly see you're not having any problem with the work. However, I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask; is there any area you feel you need help or support in?"

"No, sir," Harry said honestly. "That could obviously change, but at the moment I find the work load and classes to be fine."

"Good, good," Flitwick said before a slightly darker look appeared on his face.

"Now Harry, I know that you and I haven't really had a chance to talk much this year; however, I do want you to know that I will always stand by my students and fight for them," he said seriously.

Harry was confused by the sudden turn and let it show in this voice. "Thank you, sir?" he said questioningly.

"Over the holidays I received a note from Madam Pomfrey - now, before you get upset, she did not in any way betray your trust. She simply asked for me to keep an eye on you as she had not had a chance to run her check up. Knowing she would not be able to give any insight, I took it upon myself to write to your family asking if they knew about any health concerns as I doubted you would want to talk to me yourself as you hadn't do so. The note I received back shocked me, and I am honestly unsure what to do with the information."

Harry was surprised by the man's actions as it showed how dedicated he was to his students. Handing over the piece of paper, Harry read the note with interest.

~

Professor Flittle,

If the freak is ill, then it's not our fault! We wanted nothing to do with him from the start! Let the cretin die for all we care!

We were promised that if we took him in, your lot would leave us alone. We do not appreciate you and your freakish owls being sent to our NORMAL home.

You forced him on us, that old man promised he would be normal if we worked him hard enough! He's your problem now!

Leave us alone in the future; we do not care what happens to the boy.

Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Dursley.

~

Harry couldn't help but be thankful for his relatives' stupidity. They had just gained him another potential ally.

Harry, making sure to turn in on himself, handed the letter back, before letting out a quiet sigh, "Oh."

"Now Harry, the abuse of a minor is a serious matter in our world. Magical children are to be cherished. This letter indicates that your home life is less than ideal," Flitwick said with concern.

Shuffling in his seat, as though uncomfortable, Harry spoke, "Well, my family... they don't like anything they consider abnormal, and magic is just that. They're muggles you see, and they hated it if I ever did accidental magic. They would treat me... worse... when it happened. They've always said that they didn't want me and that they were forced to take me in."

Flitwick swore in gobbledegook, much to Harry's hidden amusement. "Harry, I would like you to be honest with me: do they abuse you?" he asked softly.

Harry squirmed. "I wouldn't say that... they just...." Harry trailed off as though scared and confused.

"Have they ever hit you?" he asked.

Harry nodded softly and whispered, "Yes."

"What else, Harry...?" Flitwick asked, his rage hidden on his face but his eyes dark and stormy.

"They wouldn't feed me," Harry whispered.

"Is there anything else?" Flitwick asked almost fearfully. Harry could image the horrors that some teachers were forced to see and was suddenly glad that his abuse had only been physical.

"No," Harry said. "They would just beat me and lock me up without food sometimes."

Nodding, Flitwick let out a long breath. "Mr. Potter, thank you, I know that must have been very hard for you to admit," he said.

Harry sat silently, making sure to keep his head down, an idea forming in his mind.

"Who did they mean, professor? In the letter, I mean. They said 'that old man' forced them to take me," Harry asked.

Flitwick kept his face carefully blank. "I'm not sure, Harry. I have my suspicions, but I can't truthfully answer you." He was positive he knew, but he couldn't work out why. What did Dumbledore gain from forcing Harry on people who didn't want him? He couldn't imagine it was because of their family bond, as obviously Harry's family didn't feel it. Filius was confused and concerned as he ran through his list of thoughts.

"What's going to happen now?" Harry asked.

"Well Harry, I can't promise anything yet, but I promise you this: I will find out what has been going on," he vowed. He would have to make some subtle inquires to check and see if Albus was aware of Harry's home situation. He didn't want to believe that he knew, but he remembered the man talking about Harry growing up. He had said the boy was loved and cared for. What had changed?

Harry considered his head of house for a moment and weighed his words and actions against what he knew about the man from the past. Coming to a decision, Harry smiled lightly.

"Professor, if I told you something, would you keep it to secret? Even from, say, your boss or somebody?" Harry asked.

Flitwick considered the boy's words. "Well Harry, I would, depending on the secret. If I thought you would be in danger I would have to tell somebody if it meant helping you," he said honestly, wondering what the boy wanted to say.

"Well then, professor, you should know that with the help of Chief Ragnok and a law wizard, I'm currently in the process of getting Sirius Black freed."

Flitwick's eyes had widened at hearing Ragnok's name; with his being part goblin, he knew the importance of having the head goblin's personal help. However, at hearing Sirius' name, he actually spluttered.

"Why, Harry?!" he asked, shocked.

"As you have probably realised sir, my memory is rather exceptional. I have memories from when I was very young. I remember things about that night and I know Sirius is innocent. When I returned to this world and I realised what had happened to him, I started the process of getting him freed. How he ended up in Azkaban without a trial, I will never know," Harry said. He was, of course, lying about how he knew, but he didn't want go into detail about being the Master of Death.

Flitwick sat for a few moments, his face contorting as he processed all the information Harry had just given him.

"How did you come to know the head of Gringotts' London branch?" he finally asked. Having Ragnok's personal help... well, he was blown away.

"When I re-entered this world, I was told he was personally overseeing my accounts," Harry said. "Why? Is it a big deal?" He wanted to come across as naive.

"Yes, actually, it is. As the head of Gringotts bank, Ragnok has the power to act on behalf of the goblin nation. By taking in interest in you and supporting you, he is declaring the support of all the goblins in England," Flitwick said, astonished. He had heard whisperings about a new goblin friend being named and he had to wonder: if it was the small boy in front of him, why?

"Oh, I didn't know that," Harry said, making sure to seem shocked.

"You are sure that Sirius Black is innocent?" Flitwick asked, going back to Harry's statement.

"Yes. I know he didn't betray my parents - it was Peter, and I doubt he would have killed twelve innocent people. He just needs a trial, he never had one, I asked," Harry said earnestly.

"Peter? Peter Pettigrew?" Flitwick repeated.

"Yes, he brought Voldemort to the house. I remember," Harry lied.

"Oh, I see...." Flitwick said, his face full of concern at the thought of Harry remembering such tragic events. He had realised that Harry possessed a rare magical ability with his eidetic memory, but he had never considered this possibility.

"I just want Sirius to have a trial. He's my godfather, you see. If he gets cleared, I will be able to live with him and not have to worry about going back to the Dursleys," Harry explained softly.

Flitwick gained an understanding look. "You don't have to worry about that, Harry. I will do everything in my power to make sure you never have to return to a home where you're hurt. And, if what you say about Mr. Black is true, then I will do everything I can to support you both," he vowed.

Harry smiled. "Thank you, sir, I really didn't want to return to them. I don't know why I was placed there to begin with," Harry said, looking up and watching as the seeds were planted. His work was slow going, but he would have the world questioning Dumbledore; so far, he had Amelia Bones, Madam Pomfrey, and Severus. Adding the goblins and Flitwick, Harry was happy to see his web spreading. The sooner he started to chip away at the old coot's fan base, the sooner he could get his revenge.

Flitwick looked pensive as he hummed. "No, I don't know the reason either, Harry. But I will look into it," he swore. "Now, why don't you run along? Oh, and Harry? Do try not to worry."

Harry stood and sent him a small smile. "Okay sir, and thank you," he said.

"No, Mr. Potter, thank you. You have given me a lot to think about."

With that, Harry left, happy with what he had accomplished.

~

The next few weeks seemed to rush by and before Harry knew it, March was turning into April and the older year Ravenclaws seemed to go mental. They wrote out study and exam timetables and Harry was practically hogtied to a chair and forced to sit through Maria's speech on proper preparation for tests. It had become common knowledge that Harry was gifted and, at first, his fellow Ravenclaws had been hostile about this fact, but they had quickly stopped when they saw he was willing to help them.

The rumours that he was a prodigy had Harry wanting to laugh; he was only considered such as he had already done all of the lessons. In truth, during his last life, Harry thought himself to be an average student. Yes, his Defence work had been strong but, other than that, he had been level with the rest of this group. Although, when he thought about it, without the blocks Harry did have a large amount of knowledge to draw from, yet that only helped him so much. He would never be a Potions master; he simply didn't have the intrinsic skill in brewing or the patience for long term brews. Nor would he ever be great at Herbology, he didn't have the touch. The same could be said about Divination, Harry simply lacked the ability. Yes, he could give endless facts and spout obscure knowledge, but he would never master the subjects.

Since his talk with Flitwick, the part goblin had made sure to check in on Harry during his biweekly stops in the common room. Harry had noticed how he seemed to now watch the headmaster more, with looks of consideration on his face. Harry barely stopped himself from cackling the first time he had noticed this during dinner.

Harry had also finally gotten around to having his checkup with Pomfrey and was happy to have his potions reduced to three times a week for his bones and every other day for his weight. His scar ointment was still being used daily, but they had faded considerably and would probably only need to be used for another three months or so; not all of his scars would fade, but Harry was pleased to note that they would be faint.

After being released from the speech about preparations, Harry made his way to lunch.

"Are you prepared for the exams, Harry?" asked Terry. He had taken to hanging around Harry and his friends more.

"What are you asking about exams for? They're ages away!" came Ron's distinctive voice as he appeared. He had been trying to worm his way into their group and had taken to just appearing and inserting himself into conversations.

Terry looked aghast. "They're not! We only have a few more weeks!"

"Whatever. Like Harry needs to worry about stupid exams being who he is," Ron said arrogantly, making Harry wince and the group stare at the redhead.

"What's that supposed to mean?" piped up Hannah, who had joined them along with Susan. Usually the girls would just ignore Ron, especially as he had taken to going on about the faults of the other houses compared to Gryffindor - they really were proud 'Puffs.

"Well, it's obvious: he's the Boy-Who-Lived. Why should he worry about exams? Heroes don't need tests."

Harry rolled his eyes at his friends. "Listen Ronald, I do not care about any silly titles. Exams are important," he said slowly.

Ron huffed, "I don't understand why you're being like this, Harry. Over Christmas I thought I had gotten you to understand."

"Understand what?"

"That you are destined for greater things. You're a hero!" Ron said.

Harry snorted. "I'm no hero," he said decisively.

"But what about the three headed dog? You were so close to uncovering a mystery - to being a hero!" Ron whined.

"What three headed dog, Harry?" Susan asked.

Harry thought for a moment and had a moment of brilliance. "There's a Cerberus on the 3rd floor," he said.

"A-a Cerberus?" she squeaked.

"Really? They're very rare! An XXXX level beast...." Terry, extremely excited by the prospect, began to recite facts about them.

"You saw it?" Susan asked after she had calmed down.

"Yeah. During Christmas I accidently wandered to the third floor when I wasn't paying attention; I just walked right into the room with it," Harry said.

"Wait. There's no protections or wards stopping people from going near it?" Susan asked quickly.

Harry, glad that she had picked some traits from her aunt, replied, "No, nothing. I was shocked. I wonder what Dumbledore's up to - keeping such a dangerous beast in a school with children? With no protections stopping them from stumbling into it? It's all very strange."

Susan's eyes had narrowed. "I agree. I think my aunt would as well," she mumbled.

"What the hell, Harry?! How dare you question Dumbledore?! He's the greatest wizard since Merlin!" Ron shouted.

"I was just wondering what he was thinking not even warding the door against entry," Harry said.

"I can't believe you!" Ron screamed. "You're supposed to be a hero! Not questioning Dumbledore like some dark wizard!"

"How does me thinking the headmaster made a mistake make me a dark wizard?" Harry asked.

"If it does, then I must be a dark witch," Susan said, standing next to Harry and glaring at Ron.

"Me too," said Hannah.

Ron stood there, face turning red, before he span on his heel and stormed off, knocking into Neville who had just turned the corner and causing the blond boy to fall to the ground.

Helping him up, Harry said, "Sorry about that."

"It's not your fault, Harry," Neville said, dusting himself off. "What happened this time?" he asked.

"Well, according to Ron, we're all dark wizards for thinking the headmaster is wrong to keep a level XXXX beast inside the castle without even setting wards around it," Harry said.

Neville let out a squeak, "A-a level—?"

"—Yeah, there's a Cerberus on the 3rd floor! Harry saw it," Terry interrupted excitedly. Harry hadn't known he was a creature enthusiast.

"I see," Neville said faintly. Harry was almost worried he would pass out.

"Are you really going to tell your aunt?" Harry asked Susan as the group made their way down to the lake.

"Yes. I think she would like to know; she's not been happy with Dumbledore since I told her—" Susan cut herself off and looked at Harry quickly.

"It's okay if you told her about my family. I should have expected it," Harry said, internally cheering. Slowly, but surely, he would ruin Dumbledore's carefully crafted image.

Susan smiled softly. "I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't mean to betray you or anything, I just couldn't not tell her - she could help. With her job, I thought it would be okay," she explained, rambling in her fear.

"It's okay Susie, I'm not angry," Harry said, soothing her nerves. "But I don't understand why your aunt would be mad at Dumbledore for how my family treats me," he said, pretending to be confused.

"Well, when I wrote to her, she apparently went to work and looked up your file. Dumbledore has classified it and it took her some time to get a copy. Apparently, he's your magical guardian and he should have been checking up on you. That he didn't is bad as you're a known wizard, without even mentioning your status in our world," Susan explained. "She spoke to me about it over Christmas and told me it was strange. She promised to look into it more."

"Thank you," Harry said.

"It is strange, when you think about it," Neville commented.

"Oh?" Harry asked, wondering what the blond thought about this. He was hoping to convert them all to him and he worried that, with Neville's history with Death Eaters, he would never accept Harry once he learnt the truth.

"Yeah. I mean, I know they're your closest family, but usually when a magical child is orphaned, they're kept in our world. It's just easier on them to adjust. I've never heard of a magical child being given to muggles."

"Closest family? I thought they were my only family," Harry said.

"Well, they're your direct family, but you should know that all pure blooded families are related. Hell, I think me and you share a great aunt or something, so really placing you with a magical family wouldn't have been hard," Neville explained.

Harry was slightly surprised. He knew that purebloods all intermarried, but he hadn't thought he had any relation to the Longbottom's. Then again, he had never really seen the Potter family tree. "I didn't know that," he said honestly before he smiled. "So, we're related then?" he asked.

"Distantly," Neville said.

A silence fell then before Hannah voiced what they had all been thinking. "It's also strange how Dumbledore didn't check on you," she said. "You would think he would want to keep a close eye on you after everything."

"Yeah, well, I guess we'll never know," Harry said.

Seeing their doubtful faces, Harry hid his glee and instead distracted them, talking about the up and coming quidditch match. Harry hadn't been bothered about the game since he had come back, but he was grateful for it now as he distracted his friends.

~

Meanwhile, Dumbledore was not pleased. He had thought he had the boy under his control when, over Christmas, he had started going after the clues left to him about the stone. Yet, for the last few months, there was nothing! The boy had gone back to ignoring Ronald and stopped acting how he was supposed to. Albus was not happy; and to make things worse, he was sure that Harry had said something to Filius as the part goblin had been wary around him recently when he had been asking for reports on his pawn. Even Severus had nothing to say when he asked - which would not do! He had spent decades planning this and he would be damned if an eleven year old would destroy all he had worked for!

Sitting down to worry at his lemon drop, Albus thought of how he could get Harry back on the correct path.

~

July 9th 1992 Hogwarts

It was the day before exams before anything interesting happened to Harry. He had been waiting for Neville by the doors to the great hall when he had accidently overheard a secret conversation between Dumbledore and Hagrid. Their obvious set up was sickening to Harry as he listened.

"Now Hagrid, you must be watchful. With me gone for a few days, the stone will be unguarded." Harry heard Albus say in a grave voice, barely keeping his eyes from rolling.

"I will headmaster, but I doubt anybody would be able to get past Fluffy. Nobody knows that it takes music to put him to sleep," Hagrid said.

"I pray you're right, my old friend. As you know, I suspect Voldemort is after the stone...."

Harry wondered if they honestly thought he was that stupid and walked away from them, moving to wait slightly away from the doors. The two continued to have their super secret meeting without their audience; Harry really didn't feel like playing their game.

"You alright, mate?" Neville asked when he arrived and saw the mutinous scowl on Harry's face.

"Yes, sorry," Harry said, trying to cover his dark expression. "Just worried about exams," he lied.

Neville laughed. "Why? You know that you're going to have the best marks in our year," he said.

Harry smiled slightly. "Maybe, but still, it's normal to be nervous."

"Let's head to breakfast," Neville suggested.

Walking in, Harry directed Neville to the Hufflepuff table. He wanted to avoid his fellow ravens as exam fever had hit them hard and he really didn't fancy having Ron pop up. Joining the girls, Harry sat down and made a plate for himself.

"Morning guys," Hannah greeted.

"Good morning," they said, before they fell into conversation about the up coming exams and holidays.

"What are you going to do about the holidays?" Susan asked, concerned about her friend.

"I'm not sure," Harry said honestly. "Flitwick wants to meet me after our exams are over."

"You told him then?" Susan asked.

"Yeah, after Christmas he found out," Harry told them.

"Good," Neville said.

"Yeah, hopefully he will sort it out. My aunt's still looking into it, but she said it's hard as your files are locked," Susan told them.

"You are welcome to spend the summer with me," Neville offered.

"Oh, and you should definitely visit us, we live next to each other," Hannah added.

"I'll try to see you all," Harry promised.

The owl mail arrived then and Harry saw a familiar small brown owl that he knew belonged to Edgar Dodge. Cutting up his bacon fat, Harry placed it in a small dish and gave it to the owl as he took the letter.

~

Mr. Potter,

I believe now would be a good time for you to acquire that piece of evidence.

I have managed to secure an emergency trial for the innocent party, which will be taking place in two weeks. I believe with the evidence you supply and his own testimony, you will soon be reunited with your godfather.

If you would bring the evidence to Gringotts at your earliest convenience, I will arrange for it to be found by a reliable Auror.

Sincerely,

Edgar Dodge Jr

Law Wizard, Dodge E & Dodge E'r

~

Reading the letter, Harry let out a relieved breath: he wouldn't have to spend the entire summer at the Dursleys. Now, all he had to do was capture that rat.

"Good news?" Neville asked, seeing Harry's smile.

"Oh yeah, great," Harry said absently as he planned - and he knew just the way to get into Gryffindor tower. Looking up and seeing that the hall was full, Harry decided to collect his evidence now.

"Hey guys, I've just remembered I've left my Charms work in my room. I'll meet you all later," he said.

"Okay, Harry," they agreed.

Sneaking into the lion's den was ridiculously easy with his cloak. All Harry had to do was wait for somebody to say the password and he slipped in with them undetected.

Making his way up to the first year dorms, Harry saw the mess that was Ron's bed. With a grimace of disgust, he approached the cage that Pettigrew was sleeping in. Stunning the already sleeping rat, Harry reached in and grabbed him. Returning to his dorm, Harry transfigured a shoe into a cage and set about warding it. Placing the rat inside, Harry revived him and sent a stinging hex. Seeing the rat suddenly jerk awake, Harry smiled, not realising how sadistic he looked in that moment.

"Hello, Peter," he said, enjoying how the rat panicked and let out a pained squeak as he obviously tried to transform and found himself unable.

"Now, now Peter, you wouldn't want to do that. This cage is special. You won't be able to transform or escape from it," Harry said.

Harry flicked his wand so that a small food and water dispenser appeared; it wouldn't be good for the rat to die before he had gotten Sirius free. Placing the cage in his trunk, Harry barely kept from dancing in celebration.

Things were working out perfectly.

~

July 15th 1992 – Hogwarts

He should have known that he would jinx himself he thought as he was called up to Dumbledore's office after his final exam later that week. Quirrell had vanished two days ago, most likely with the fake stone, and Dumbledore had been looking grave and resentful whenever Harry had seen him.

Entering the office, Harry saw that it was in shambles; the headmaster had obviously lost hold of his temper.

"Ah, Harry, my boy, do come in," Dumbledore said, his voice strained as he obviously forced himself to act like a benevolent old man.

"You wanted to see me, headmaster?" Harry said, his voice light and inquisitive.

"Yes, my boy, I was just wondering if you had noticed anything strange recently?" he asked.

"Strange, sir?" Harry replied, sounding confused.

"Yes, with your scar?" Dumbledore said, his eyes gleaming.

"No, sir," Harry said.

Dumbledore seemed to deflate. "I see," he said, his voice void of emotion.

"Why, sir?" Harry asked, keeping his voice childlike.

"I have reason to believe Voldemort will likely return," Dumbledore said, his voice suddenly going dramatically grave.

Harry made his eyes widen in shock. "V-Voldemort, sir?! Why would you think that? I thought he was gone," Harry said fearfully.

"Oh no, my dear boy, he's out there waiting," Dumbledore said darkly.

"I'm sorry professor, but what has this got to do with my scar?" Harry asked, wondering what the old man would say.

"I believe, Harry, that your scar connects the two of you, and I had thought you would feel it if something had happened or if he was close," Dumbledore said, his shrewd eyes scanning Harry.

Harry just contained his snort. Yes, the scar connected them, not the fact they were soulmates. "I'm sorry sir, but I've felt nothing," he said.

Dumbledore's eyes narrowed with suspicion, the twinkle disappearing. "I see. You may go then, Harry," he dismissed, forgetting to act like a kind old man in his anger.

As Harry walked to the door, he called out, "Oh, and Harry? Don't mention this to anybody, it wouldn't do to worry them. Perhaps I am wrong about my fears," he said.

Harry nodded his head and left the office. He had his meeting with Flitwick as well before the feast, and would have to hurry to get to his office.

After Harry left, Albus picked up a paper weight from his desk and launched it at the door.

"Damn him!" he screamed.

"Temper, temper, Albus," mocked the portrait of Phineas Black.

"Silence, or so help me, I will find a way to have you removed!" Albus seethed.

He couldn't work out how Voldemort had taken the stone; he didn't even know how long it had been missing! His protections around the mirror itself had been infallible! He should have felt it the moment the stone vanished but he had felt nothing! And Harry, that damn boy! He refused to take the bait, this was his fault! If he had just gone after the stone, then everything would be alright now! But no, the boy refused to take the bait, refused to be what Albus had planned for. This would not do!

~

Reaching Flitwick's office just in time, Harry knocked and entered, seeing Snape and Pomfrey in there as well.

"Hello sirs, ma'am," he said.

"Harry, take a seat," Flitwick said, indicating to the chair left free.

Sitting, Harry turned to the three adults. "You wanted to see me, sir?" he asked.

"Yes. We all here in this room are aware of your situation at home," Flitwick began. Harry made sure to dart his eyes to Snape, hoping it would be picked up on.

"Yes Potter, I am aware," the dark eyed man said. "I recognised the signs and, based on the potions I have observed you taking and the ointment you require, I pieced the facts together."

"Oh," Harry said, trying to act ashamed.

"Anyway, both Madam Pomfrey and Professor Snape have approached me to ask about your summer plans, and I felt it would be best if you answered their questions as I promised the information you told me last time would be secret," Flitwick explained.

Harry was surprised at that. Not that Flitwick had kept his promise, but that Snape had worried about him enough to ask. He was also surprised that Madam Pomfrey had gone to Flitwick instead of Dumbledore; he hadn't considered what he would have done if she had gone to the old coot.

"I see. Thank you, professor," Harry said to his head of house.

Turning to look at the other two occupants of the room, Harry smiled lightly. "I am very grateful for your concern professor, Madam Pomfrey, but you shouldn't worry. I will be fine this summer, I've been making alternate arrangements," Harry said.

Severus picked up on the vagueness of the answer and narrowed his eyes. It wouldn't be unexpected for an abused child to lie. "What arrangements, exactly?" he asked.

Harry tried not to scowl at the man's insistence. "I would rather not say. It has come to my attention that it was Professor Dumbledore who placed me with my relatives and I would hate for him to be aware of my plans," Harry said.

"I see," Severus replied. He was impressed the boy had discovered that much, but his answer also worried him. Why did Potter not trust Dumbledore?

"You will be safe, dear?" Pomfrey asked.

"Yes, ma'am," Harry replied.

"I don't like this, but I've known Albus for years. He never listens to me when I tell him about children I fear come from bad homes. It's the reason I go to the head of houses now," she said, sighing. Harry was shocked by this and wondered how Dumbledore maintained his great image if his staff knew he ignored abuse.

Severus looked at Filius and saw that the man's eyes were hard. "You are aware of Mr. Potter's plans?" he asked.

"I'm aware of some of them," Flitwick replied.

"You trust he will be alright?" Severus asked. He respected Filius as the man would always go out of his way for his students.

Filius looked at the boy sitting in front of him and considered all he knew about Harry Potter. He was a mystery; he had friends within the goblin race and his abilities were beyond that of his age. He also knew a lot about this world for somebody who had apparently just entered it. However, he trusted the boy. He had seen him spend hours teaching wand movements to his fellow first years, watched as he united the houses.

"I trust Mr. Potter knows what he is doing," Flitwick said.

Harry contained his smile.

Severus, who had been watching Filius as he thought about his answer, nodded his head. "Very well, then. However, Mr. Potter, I will expect you to owl me if you find yourself in trouble or in need of assistance," he said, looking at the boy who reminded him so much of Lily.

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

~

After that, Harry was allowed to go to the feast. Sitting down with his housemates, Harry smiled at them as they celebrated their first year being complete. Unlike in his last life, when the house cup was awarded, it went to Slytherin. Harry received no unexpected points. Clapping politely for the snake house, Harry returned to his dorm with his roommates and started to pack.

Getting on the train the next day, Harry shared his compartment with the same people he had arrived at Hogwarts with.

"You look happy, Harry," Susan commented, surprised as she thought the boy would be upset about returning to his family.

"I am happy," Harry said. "It's been a great year." He thought about what he had accomplished. He had gotten his revenge on Hermione, though his gut still churned sometimes at the thought of what happened, started to plant the seeds needed to destroy Dumbledore's reputation, gained the stone, and gotten Sirius a trial. A very good year, indeed.

"It has been great," Neville agreed.

Eventually the journey was underway and they all made plans to meet up, Harry promising to try. He knew he would be busy, though, what with Sirius' trial and everything.

Pulling into the station hours later, Harry left his friends, promising to write and visit. Susan had been against letting him leave as she had wanted her aunt to meet his relatives, but Harry had persuaded her to let him go. It wasn't like he was actually going home to Surrey. Finding a secluded spot, Harry shrunk down his trunk and let Hedwig free, telling her to head to the Leaky Cauldron, before he apparated there.

Walking out into Diagon Alley, Harry headed straight to Gringotts. He had to see a goblin about a rat.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 5.7K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
3.6K 118 11
Harry Potter, is a bright kid lives with his parents Lily and James Potter and three younger siblings. when Harry was one years old their family was...
558K 34.2K 98
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
40.6M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...