Restored (A Caleo Selection)

By just_an_astrophile

Calypso Nightshade is the lowest of the low - a captive of war, cursed for her father's crimes, her life slip... More

1 ~ A Hope So Small
2 ~ A Nostalgia So Piercing
3 ~ An Annoyance So Odd
4 ~ A Boy So Fickle
5 ~ A Tension So Thick
6 ~ A Fear So Paralyzing
7 ~ A Dream So Distant
8 ~ A Talk So Intriguing
9 ~ A Friendship So Kind
10 ~ A Memory So Painful
11 ~ An Anxiety So Great
12 ~ A Family So Twisted
13 ~ A Time So Enjoyable
14 ~ A Task So Daunting
15 ~ A Dress So Pretty
16 ~ A Shock So Immense
17 ~ A Confession So Abrupt
18 ~ A Firestorm So Terrifying
19 ~ A Mourning So Sad
20 ~ A Confidant So Sweet
21 ~ A Truth So Fundamental
22 ~ A Passage So Dark
23 ~ A Scar So Deep
24 ~ A Distance So Wide
25 ~ A Solitude So Sharp
26 ~ A Gunshot So Loud
27 ~ A Reunion So Joyous
28 ~ A Scrutiny So Awkward
29 ~ A Panic So Sudden
30 ~ An Epitome So Horrid
31 ~ A Victory So Shallow
32 ~ A Miracle So Stunning
33 ~ A Recovery So Slow
35 ~ A Riot So Petty
36 ~ A Terror So Powerful
37 ~ A Resolve So Unyielding
38 ~ A Love So Real
39 ~ A Peace So Perfect
40 ~ A Hope So Vast
~ Playlist & Author's Note ~

34 ~ A Princess So Hated

529 17 52
By just_an_astrophile

The remaining Selected took the news of our relationship with cheers, congratulations, and smug grins. I almost broke down as they showered us with support -- not a single one of them was anything less than thrilled for us.

Even Juniper hugged me, jumping up and down. "I knew it would be you! Can I come to the wedding?"

I reassured her that I wouldn't dream of a wedding without any of them.

There weren't many left. Piper, Thalia, Reyna, Juniper, Lavinia, Kayla, Hazel, and Nyssa. Nine remaining, of thirty-five. The rest were all dead, except for two who had refused to come back to the palace.

Everything seemed to remind me of them. An ambassador from Japan brought Alice to mind. A curl of auburn hair invoked memories of brave Skye. Someone with a laugh too loud resembled Lou Ellen. The paintings we'd admired together renewed my thoughts of Jade.

The palace didn't take long to resume its normal rhythm. New servants were found and old ones relieved so as not to be constantly reminded of the coworkers and friends they'd lost.

The king hired several workers to build a memorial garden in the courtyard for those lost in the attack. Each of the Selected had a plaque and a different type of flower representing them, and in the center was the queen's headstone, wreathed in white roses.

It was surrounded by hedges, but from my window, I could see the king when he walked the rows, always stopping at his wife's grave for a while. Sometimes Leo joined him.

Leo gave me a room on the fourth floor across from Piper's, in the north wing. I moved my little pot of moonlace there and set to work actually making it my own in a way I never had with my Selection-deemed room, simple and tidy in shades of blue and white and silver. Frequently I would enter to find Piper chilling on my bed or at my desk or even just sprawled across the floor.

I decided I would never again keep secrets from either of them. I had nothing left to hide, and I wanted to keep it that way. But that rule didn't apply to the rest of the country.

True to his word, Leo gave me a full two weeks before he brought up the public again. "Don't you think we ought to give them some good news?"

"Why?" I swept my gaze over his room, where I'd come to check on him. "The rebels have been quelled. The palace is rebuilt completely. Life is back to normal."

"We have to do it sometime. It's almost December -- why not do it near the holidays? We haven't given an update on the Selection in weeks and they're clamoring for a choice."

I swallowed. "I know. I've seen the articles."

Leo said nothing, spinning a pen between his fingers.

"We can announce it." The words were out of my mouth before I could convince myself otherwise. "You're right. It's time."

"We don't have to. I have infinite time," he said hesitantly. "I don't want you to have any doubts going into -- "

"I don't," I assured him. "And it would reflect badly on you to let it drag. I'm ready. We can tell them."

"Are you sure?" Leo looked up at me. "Once we announce it, there's no going back. You'll be in the spotlight for the rest of your life."

I leaned on the back of his chair, brushing my fingertips over his hair, reveling in the fact that I could. "I know. I'll do it for your sake. If you can handle it, then I'm pretty sure I can manage."

He grinned then, and it was a look I thought I'd kill to see again. When he smiled like that, I always knew I'd made the right decision.

"Thank you, Calypso. I know this won't be easy for you. Like, at all." He flipped the pen over his wrist. "But it's got to happen."

"Yeah, I get that," I said. "It'll happen. Don't worry."

I kissed the top of his head, and he touched my jaw. His fingers were warm. I rested my chin on his shoulder, trying to remind myself that I was making him happy and not think about the turmoil the reveal would bring. It doesn't matter, I told myself firmly. Leo has done so much for you. You can do this for him -- it's the only way your relationship can move forward.

Still, the uneasiness in my gut refused to go away.

Someone knocked on the door, and I stepped back in a hurry, a bit embarrassed to be interrupted in such an intimate position. Jason poked his head in. "Leo, you're supposed -- oh, hi, Calypso. Sorry to barge in."

"Nah, you're good." Leo spun his chair around. "What's the news?"

"They have the informant. The Selected girl, Sam? Thought you might want to see her files before her interrogation."

"Sam?" I repeated, startled.

Jason nodded. "Allen. That's the one. She's like a distant niece of Koios in one way or another, I think? Anyways, she was passing on information and we finally got her in custody."

I glanced at Leo. "Can I come with you?"

"Yeah, sure." He shrugged. "Can't hurt."

Jason led us down to the area of the basement where temporary holdings for prisoners had been built. King Hephaestus was already there, conversing with Lord Hades. Hades was an intimidating man, fit for his position, with black hair and skin so pale he might as well have been a vampire.

Leo took the papers and began skimming them as I peered through the one-way cell window. Sam sat inside, her arms bound, her black hair loose and messy. Her face was weary, and seeing her made my heart squeeze.

"I think we'll send her down south. Away from any family. We'll make sure her record is public, too." Lord Hades was so expressionless. "She's young, but we can't let her off easy with the repercussions that came from her actions."

"Do we know why she was complicit?" the king asked.

"She was protecting her little brother," I blurted.

Both the king and his advisor turned their gazes on me, Lord Hades' more of a glare. "That's what she claims," he affirmed. "How do you know this to be true?"

"My uncle. Hyperion." I shifted from foot to foot, uncomfortably aware of their attention. "He mentioned it to me when I was in...when I was being held."

"You're certain of this."

"Yes. I am."

King Hephaestus shook his head. "That's only one witness, and even if it's true, she still committed unspeakable acts against this country."

"I trust her word and her intellect, Dad," Leo spoke up. "If Calypso says it's true, then it is."

"I understand the nature of her crimes," I added, "but I knew her, in the Selection. I cannot believe she would do such a thing without a great deal of coercion."

Lord Hades scowled. "We'll look into it. For now, the inquiry must proceed."

Wordlessly, Leo tugged me away. I wished I could reach out to the girl in the cell. I hadn't really known her -- but she'd been just as kind and open as anyone. I prayed she would not be branded a traitor in the same way I had been, even despite her guilt.

As we walked upstairs, Leo was quiet. I slipped my hand from his. "Was that...was that wrong? Should I not have said anything?"

Leo sighed. "No. It wasn't. It's just a lot simpler for us and our image if she's completely guilty, and we can punish her as such. By granting her clemency in any measure, it reflects poorly on us."

"Yes, I'm sure that was exactly why the Council decided to imprison an eleven-year-old," I retorted.

He stopped in his tracks. "Are you going to blame me for that now? Because I was twelve at the time, if you recall."

"I'm not blaming you. I'm just trying to remind you that life is not remotely simple and that girl is barely eighteen. Actually, I'm not sure she's even eighteen yet."

"She's significantly older than you were, and these are largely different circumstances."

"Are you really going to lecture me on what is and isn't right under the circumstances of treason?"

Leo whirled on me. "She helped kill my mother!"

"So did I," I snapped.

"That's -- that's not the same!" He ran his hands over his hair, his face dark. "You didn't know what you were doing. She did!"

"How do you know?" When he didn't answer, I grasped his arm tightly. "How do you know?"

Leo turned away. "I don't," he murmured, "but the end result is the same. She knew what could happen."

I said nothing. I didn't know how to answer him. I could see that I'd upset him, and I hated that, but I also didn't believe I was wrong.

He walked away, and I let him go.

Madeleine sat with me in my new room that evening as I waited for calls to the Report. "Are you excited, miss?"

It never failed. After all this time, she still called me 'miss'. "Not really. I'm not ready for the world to hear about is yet, especially if we're not even..." I had to swallow back panic, thinking about our fight. "Not on great terms."

"All couples fight, and you've had much more stress on your relationship than most," Madeleine soothed me as she pinned up my hair. "It will pass. I promise."

"How's Kate doing?" I asked abruptly.

Madeleine hesitated. "She's improving slowly. She was finally able to secure a job at a dress shop. It's easy work, and she'll enjoy it."

"Good." I ran my hands down the front of my lavender dress. "I'd like to see her again. Someday. When she's doing okay."

"I'm sure that can be arranged."

Annabeth came too soon, far too soon. The knot in my stomach kept growing, bit by bit, until I was truly afraid I would throw up.

Annabeth side-eyed me as we walked. "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

"Yes." I squared my shoulder in my best attempt at confidence.

"Okay. You don't look ready."

"Dang it, Annabeth, don't make me question myself."

"There's still time, you know," she said. "Leo would delay. For you."

I shook my head so hard I felt my bun loosen. "I'm doing this no matter what I feel. It's for him, and the people of Illéa, and that's all that matters."

Annabeth squeezed my shoulder. "You'll be a good queen. Hold your head high, Calypso, and they'll never question it."

Her words brought me a little comfort as I took my place beside Piper with the rest of the Selected. Piper beamed at me, and I reached for her hand.

At the front of the set, Leo sat next to Julius, his hands twisting in his lap. I caught his eye and smiled uncertainly, hoping he wasn't angry. I was relieved when he smiled back, even if it wasn't with his usual deviousness. Maybe I was blowing everything out of proportion.

The cameramen signalled, lights flickered on, and Julius waved at the camera. "Welcome, Illéa, to the weekly Report, live from the palace. This week, you have been promised very special news, and we are here to deliver."

I shut my eyes as he rambled about the excitement of the Selection and the impact of the attack until finally, finally, he turned to Leo. "Our dear prince, we've waited many months for this moment. Looking at the Elite, you have quite the selection" -- he winked at the camera -- "of young ladies from which to choose. So. Who will it be? Who shall be crowned as the next queen of Illéa?"

Leo took a deep breath. "I have spent quite a lot of time with each of these wonderful girls over the past months. They're all amazing, each of them, in their own ways. But one, I will say, has captured my heart in a way no one else ever has."

He stood, and I found myself trembling. I knew it was irrational, but I couldn't help but think, what if it's not me? What if he changed his mind?

His eyes locked on mine, and his face was enough to take my breath away. How could one boy make me feel so beautiful -- so loved -- with no words at all, and after the last exchange of ours had been bitter?

He extended his hand. "Lady Calypso Nightshade has won not just my heart and mind, but the crown as well. I can find no one I would rather have by my side to rule this incredible country."

I rose on shaky legs as the production crew, courtiers, and even the other Selected began to applaud, all cheering for us. I grasped his hand, and that simple touch steadied me.

Julius placed a hand on his chest. "They grow up so fast. Prince Leo, it's clear to see you have chosen a fine young lady who loves you just as much as you do her. In the near future we will have so much more to ask, but for now, we will wish you well and leave you to enjoy your union for a few more days in peace. Thank you and good night, Illéa."

The room exploded with congratulations the minute the cameras shut off. Piper hugged me and the Selected whooped and hollered all over again, overwhelming us with support. Slowly, I began to let go of my fears.

In the chaos, Leo whispered in my ear, "Forgive me?"

"Only if you forgive me first," I whispered back.

His fingers squeezed mine. "Deal."

King Hephaestus regarded us thoughtfully. "Welcome to the family, my future daughter-in-law," he declared, offering me his hand.

I shook it tentatively. "Thank you, sir."

"I can't believe it's real. It's really official!" Hazel was bouncing up and down, more excited than I'd ever seen her. "I can't wait for the wedding!"

I was about to protest the prospect of a wedding in the near future -- we'd just barely started courting! -- when a guard burst through the door. "I'm so sorry to interrupt, your Honor, but there's an issue that requires your immediate attention."

The king straightened. "What seems to be the problem, General Yang? We are celebrating an important milestone in my family's life."

"It's the people, sir, rallying through Angeles. They've begun rioting, heading for the palace." General Yang paused. "They're incited about the news -- they're demanding we execute the traitor princess."

~
~~~
~

A/N:
And now we add two shots of vodka *chug chug chug*

Hello again, my friends. I simply cannot believe how far we've come. I've been waiting to write this chapter for a v long time :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.4K 957 84
Under the rule of Emperor Zeus, the Roman Empire has become wealthier and larger than ever, but not everyone benefits from the increased riches. Perc...
33.8K 806 35
"Lucky, I'm in love with my best friend." Usually, fire and water don't get along too well. But these two are proof that things may not always be as...
19.8K 427 43
This is a story about how the greatest demigods of our time travel into the future to warn their past selves and camp about a danger and has some plo...
1.6K 56 9
For the city, a normal Saturday night features multiple news headlines searching for a 'goddess-like woman'. It's a usual occurrence. None of the cit...