Clashing Blades (Levi X OC)

By Devilish_red

OC, named Ireen, is another childhood friend of Eren, just a year older (or so what they thought). Living in... More

『 C H A P T E R 1 : NIGHTMARE 』
『 C H A P T E R 2 : PROMISE 』
『 C H A P T E R 3 : BEGINNING 』
『 C H A P T E R 4 : TEST 』
『 C H A P T E R 5 : TRUST』
『 C H A P T E R 6 : MIRACLE 』
『C H A P T E R 7 : MEMORIES 』
『C H A P T E R 8 : ANSWER 』
『 C H A P T E R 9 : SACRIFICE 』
『 C H A P T E R 10 : REQUEST 』
『 C H A P T E R 11 : TRIAL 』
『 C H A P T E R 12 : TRYING 』
『 C H A P T E R 13 : WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE 』
『 C H A P T E R 14 : BETTING ON YOU 』
『 C H A P T E R 15: POTATO 』
『 C H A P T E R 16 : BAD DAY 』
『 C H A P T E R 17 : IT WASN'T MY INTENTION 』
『 C H A P T E R 18 : ARMIN ARLET 』
『 C H A P T E R 19 : THEIR SECRETS 』
『 C H A P T E R 21 : 2 WEEKS BEFORE AN EXPEDITION 』
『 C H A P T E R 22 : A PROMISE』

『 C H A P T E R 20 : HORSES 』

346 15 5
By Devilish_red

The beginning of a new trust

- - -

"So as we have discussed, the recruits will mainly be here, here and here... We'll have few officers to lead and watch each small group and ensure they won't be the titan's food," Erwin spoke as he slightly raised his voice trying to par with the noises from the outside.

It was 6 in the evening, but the outside was darker than usual due to the rain and storm. It has become a normal occurrence for the rain to suddenly pour this few days. They hoped it will end soon so it won't disturb their next expedition.

Erwin's finger tapped few times on few locations on the map as he went through the plan again, the plan to 'lure the enemy out during the 57th expedition', known by few selected squad leaders and soldiers that he truly trust. It has been tiring weeks, with preparation and all, and most of them hardly had any enough rest in addition to their piling works. But duties are duties and these are what they're signing for ever since taking the positions so no one's complaining.

Erwin stopped for a second as he turned to face a too concentrating blonde, whom currently had her fingers in front of her mouth with a pen in between.

"When we reach the Forest of Giant Trees, those not involve with the plan will be stationed on the boarders of the forest, and stop any titans that attempt to enter. Nanaba, you will take lead on Mike's squad and guiding the cadets. Mike will be busy with the other plan."

"Understood, Erwin." Nanaba nodded and scribbled something on her notes.

Erwin turned to face the brunette that in contrast to the blonde earlier currently was distracted and kept yawning several times. Her assistant sitting next to her has been keeping her awake throughout the entire meeting.

"Hange, how's the preparation to restrain the enemy? Has the weapons ready and enough for this mission?"

That was enough to shake her from her drowsy state. Hange explained throughly regarding her plans and preparations, satisfying everyone on the table.

The blonde commander next turned to other person.

"Pierre, I believe the logistic unit doesn't have trouble with the supplies' preparation? We can't confirm with the number of enemies we will encounter. Please make sure we have enough food and water, ODM gears, weapons and medicines for our soldiers."

The called man nodded and reported on his squad's preparations, putting the commander at ease.

"Levi, your team will be at the center, as we had discussed. Do you find any problems with it? You will be on standby so I hope nothing goes wrong till the plan enacted."

Erwin continue asking each of the squad leaders and captains on the table. 

"Mike, if you found your squad members unable for the role, please let me know immediately to find replacement."

Not a single person was left behind because he really wanted everyone to prepare throughly and focused on this mission. 

"I don't think I need to mention this, but to serve as a reminder, the only one knows about this plan are those that inside this room; the commander, 5 squad leaders, 4 squad vice captains, 1 squad captain and the squads' respective trusting members. Leaking of any of today's discussion is prohibited and will cause disciplinary action to the offender. Please take this matter seriously."

"Yes sir/Erwin", their answer chorused the immediate Erwin sharpened his gaze.

Erwin gave a satisfy nod as he silently exhaled a breathe of relief.

"If there's nothing else to discuss than we'll stop here. But before that, I was thinking to give a day off to everyone on this coming two days. I think everyone deserve i-"

"Oooohhhhh what about include a welcoming party?!!" Hange immediately perked up and bang her hands onto the table. Her sleepiness earlier went away in a flinch.

"Welcoming party?"

"Yeah! For the new recruits from the 104th! We haven't throw them one yet!"

"Tch, there are here to serve the humanity. Not to have fun." Levi rolled his eyes.

Upon hearing him Hange leaned across Moblit to reach Levi that currently sitting next to him.

"But Levi, it is sad thinking that they could possibly die from this expedition but never have fun once!"

Hange got way too close to him that the captain scoffed in annoyance.

"Get your damn face away from me!"

Hange's face was harshly pushed away but the scientist simply laughed it off while Moblit tried to stable her from falling.

"H-hange-san..."

"We can have a small one. It'll be a day off on the next two days and a party in the evening in the dinning hall. That should be enough." Erwin calmly spoke, stopping Hange's and Levi's bickers.

His blue eyes then landed on Moblit, whom catch on it in an instance. "Moblit, can I leave you to handle this?"

"... Yes sir, I can get help from the other cadets to set up and prepare for the night." He gave a small nod. Erwin reciprocated with the same gesture.

"Thank you. Don't forget to submit a report on it. And take it easy, it will be just a small and simple one."

The loyal and hardworking assistant nodded his head again, understood.

"Erwin, don't you think it's too rush to throw one in two days?" Mike raised his doubt.

"We only have less than two weeks before the expedition. The rest of the days gonna be used to focus on the mission so we are not gonna waste anymore time." But Erwin was quick to explain his reason.

Mike nodded as he accepted the reason.

"Meeting is adjourn. Make sure each of you prepare your task as what we have agreed."

Sounds of chairs scrapping the floor and papers rustling greeted him the moment he gave the green light. However Mike's voice halted the movement of the few, as he stated his request.

"Erwin, Levi, Hange.. Can you three stay for a while? There's something I would like to tell..."

- - -

The clattering and chattering noise, as usual, is lively across multiple tables. A dinner after a tiring whole day working, the soldiers sat and enjoyed their piece of averagely-fine food for the night. Rated average because today the soup isn't too watery, a bless to the cook of the day.

"Eh, they are giving us a break? Really Connie?" Sasha, the big eater leaned forward, eyes boring into the bald boy in front of her. For once, the potato in her hand was forgotten. Only for a second though...

"For real... I heard it myself when I came out from the toilet. The seniors are talking about it."

"A day off after two weeks of our enrollment? And there's celebration at night?!! That's awesome!"

"But, don't you think it's a bit late for the celebration? It's been two weeks since we joined the regiment." Jean muttered.

"Who cares. There'll be more food to eat! We should participate!"

"Are food the only thing you can think about, potato girl? Does your life even have other meaning to it?" Jean scowled and in return Sasha retorted calling him rude. But her hand was still quick to snatch Armin's food who was sitting next to her.

Poor coconut haired boy watching his food gone, unblinking.

"Even so, cadets like us will definitely need to help around more than the others. That means the day off in the morning will have us moving around to prepare for the party..." Reiner chipped in.

"Haaa?!!! No way!!!!" Sasha and Connie simultaneously whined.

Ray sighed pinching his forehead before taking a deep breathe through his nose. "There's no confirmation about it. Let's ask Ireen once she's here..." He batted eyes with Connie and Sasha to silence their whimpers, which is much appreciated by the rest.

"Ireen?"

"Why her?"; Reiner and Bertholdt questioned.

Ray took his time to answer as he was chewing and swallowing the food in his mouth.

"Because if you don't know, she spends more time with three superiors; the commander, captain Levi and her squad leader. I think she should know something about the news."

"Make it four, Ray..." Eren suddenly interrupted, stabbing his vegetables with the fork in his hand. "Hange-san has been dragging her around sometimes too, especially when it comes to experimenting me."

"How did that happen?"

"Captain Levi sold her because Hange-san won't stop talking and bothering him with titan's theory. So he pushed Ireen to her instead."

.....

The table was in silent for a second.

"Well that's still crazy! She got way into higher level than us just in two weeks!" Connie spitted in his outburst, which much to Eren's dismay.

"She's lucky to not be doing much work..." Jean lowly muttered.

"That's not true. I think Ireen has more tasks than we all had." Armin silently spoke. His claim suddenly got them interested to know more.

"Yesterday I saw her leaving squad leader Mike's room with a ram of papers, and only to return to the room with twice the amount and came out looking exhausted. I think she was helping him."

Eren and his friends' minds traveled back to the memories of few days ago when they've met Ireen. Immediately they hummed and nodded in agreement.

"Well she does look a little bit tired these few days." Connie muttered while scrubbing his chin.

But Jean suddenly screamed, slamming his palm on the table shocking everyone. Crimson shades crept onto his face as he leaned forward and whispered.

"You guys.. Don't tell me, she is helping him with some... 'thing'?"

"Some thing? You mean delivering the papers?" Asked Sasha.

"No.. I mean, something like..you know... When a low ranking cadet trying to get the higher ranking officers some attention through art of seduction..."

"Wha-?!! No way!! Ireen would never do such thing!" Armin was literally on high pitch voice as his face turned beet red. He was the first to defend Ireen.

"That's disgusting Jean. How low you are looking at her?" Meanwhile Ray made a grunt noise, eyeing the boy in distaste. Even Sasha clicked her tongue.

Few went red at the suspicions while two people - obviously Connie and Eren - looking confused, as they didn't get the direction of the conversation.

"I was just saying!! After all Armin claimed she came out exhausted it could be -"

"She was helping him with some paper work." Mikasa suddenly spoke cutting everyone's voice and argument. She got all eyes on her suddenly.

"Paper work? Why she needs to do them?"

"Because she injured two of her team members so now they are resting in the infirmary room and she's replacing their duty for a while."

"Mikasa, you've been knowing this all this time?" Eren looked surprised, yet genuine concern displayed on his expression that didn't went unnoticed by the ravenette.

"Yes... I help massaged her fingers and palms because she will cry and won't stop complaining about the sore.."

"She...cry...? I don't think I ever see her crying for trivial things..but is it?" Connie lowly questioned, afraid the devil in talk suddenly appear.

Jean clicked his tongue, bringing a finger under his chin as he stroke it. "But you know... Came out exhausted, fingers and palms soared, maybe she - ouch! What was that for?!!"

Ray had kicked his shin under the table.

Presenting him with his dirty glare, he looked at the younger boy in distaste. "Can you not think dirty about it?"

"What?!! I haven't say a thing!"

"You think I don't know what you plan to? I honestly surprised how fast a kid like you learning such stuff. If you don't have good things to say just keep it in your pants!"

"Huh?? What are you on about??"

"Ireen not gonna like that if she hears you." Eren sighed into his food as he talked to Mikasa, ignoring the small banter between Jean and Ray. Eren knows how Ireen doesn't like people to know she cries. So Mikasa stating that she was crying from some sore hands - hardly to believe - was a taboo.

Eren rose an eyebrow when Mikasa gave him a resting face, like those annoyed and judging face that normally occurred between two jealous girl friends. But then the ravenette ignored him as she turned to her food again.

Meanwhile at the other side of the table Connie and Sasha were whispering to each other.

"I find it hard to believe Mikasa actually help to massage her out of kindness."

"Actually, it's not. But Ireen promised a daily report on Eren's wellbeing that's why she do it."

"Sounds like her after all.."

"Yeah...." Sasha agreed. "Connie, can I have your bread?"

"What?? No!! You have yours! Eat that!"

"But I'm supposed to give this to Ireen so pleaseeee....give me yours!!" Sasha violently shook the baldy begging with snots and fake tears.

"No! Anyways, where's Ireen? She is so late I doubt there's even anything left for her." Connie pointed out loud his worry.

"Ireen said she's skipping her dinner. She went to bed early tonight." Mikasa once again spoke, monotonously.

"Really?! Then I can have this br-"

"Sasha, she told me to take her portion from you tonight. So hand it over." Mikasa displayed a 'I don't bother' look and 'now give me the bread', watching a tiny soul escaped the brunette.

"Noooooooo!!!!!!" And the soul wasn't the only thing escaped her lips.

- - -

0034 hours... Ireen blinked few times to erase the blurring vision. The light snores she heard told her that her friends were fast asleep, and not to be disturbed.

Ireen pushed her body up as she scrubbed away the crustiness in between her eyelids, leaving out a low growling sound while her body bent to weird angles until pop sound was heard. Satisfied she loosened back her muscles and sit by the edge.

She looked around the surrounding, illuminated by the only soft glow of the moon of the night that penetrated in through the opened curtains. On top of her night stand was a bread, on a small plate and wrapped with some brown food wrapper, and a glass of water.

Hunger took over quickly as she reached out to it, but stopped before munching it. After a while of thinking she got up, put on her slippers and left the room.

.
.
.

The hallways was eerily silent and quiet. Ireen's light footsteps were the only thing heard.

Well that's fine. If there's other sound she might be sprinting right now.

Already memorized the whole layout of the castle Ireen reached her destination easily. The bar that blocked the two giant doors was slide away, and left at the side before she walked in. One hand holding the plate with a burning candle while another held the previous bread.

She walked passed many chairs and tables - cleaned and nicely tucked away - heading to the end of the room. There was an entrance to another section which was separated by a square column framing the entrance and difference in height of the ceiling to separate two different areas. And it was the kitchen. All of the cooking spices, ingredients - raw and frozen -, cutleries, pots and pans and everything one needed to cook and serve kept in that place, arranged in a proper manner.

This wasn't the first time Ireen entered the kitchen, and not gonna be her last too. She used to get in here whenever she needs to get something at late night, like plain water or some hot tea. In contradict to the rules and curfew hours where no cadets should be up beyond this hours Ireen never actually got into trouble for it. Even though she got caught once they forgave her because she was only up to go to toilet and took a stop to the kitchen on her way back for a glass of water. The superiors were quite lenient to let her free.

And tonight will be just the same like many other nights.

Ireen snapped out of her own little thoughts when she heard the loud whistling coming from the burning kettle. She opened the lid to kill the sound and put off the fire. Next rummaging through cabinet she looked for the bottle containing the tea leaves, only to mumble in complain for the bottle had always shifted from one level to another level, forcing her to tiptoe for the higher shelf.

When she finally got the right bottle and hummed in delight, a low yet powerful voice greeted her.

"Oi. What are you doing?"

Letting out a small yelp she turned to the person, blinking few times to adjust her vision in the dark.

"Captain."

"Cadet."

......

Ireen knew the captain will find her here, because she could smell all the way from here of his freshly soapy scent. After all she had left the door to the dinning hall opened so a soldier as responsible as him will definitely check inside. But what she didn't expect was herself to get spooked from behind.

"I was making a tea to drink? Want some?"

Levi wasn't replying. He only stared at the girl with his furrowed look. Or maybe it was his resting look. Who knows? He always look like that.

"I know I shouldn't be awake at this hour. But I'm thirsty and hungry so I come down just to eat a bit." Ireen's finger twiddled with the bottle in hands.

"Eat? There's no food here."

"Oh, I have my friend saved her bread for me from her dinner. I skipped my dinner yesterday because I was too tired and went to bed early."

"So you just woke up?"

"Yes sir."

"That explained your nest-like hair." Levi gave a glare at her red tresses before walking passed her. He opened one of the cabinet, swiftly reaching to a certain bottle before pulling it out.

"Sit down. I'll make us tea." He nonchalantly spoke leaving Ireen in wonder. But as she was about to obey,

"Or maybe not. Stand here and watch me do it." Levi once again ordering her.

Despite being in confuse Ireen nodded and get closer, but not too close in case he suddenly decide to snarl at her uncleanliness like he did to her hair. And she kept her eyes opened to watch whatever he was doing.

"Put two teaspoons of tea leaves into the infuser, pour hot water into the teapot and let the leaves soaked for four minutes max. Strain the leaves afterwards and serve, got it?" He looked right into her green hues once he flipped the hourglass, entertained by her dumbfounded gaze.

"I got it, sir.. But why?"

"No reason. You looked like someone who doesn't know how to do it."

Excuse me?

"Go and sit. You are not needed here..."

I... Rude!!

Ireen obeyed nevertheless and pulled the chair to one of the table and slumped. She played around with the bread in her hand, fiddling bits by bits into her mouth. Not long after, Levi came out with a tray of two cups and a teapot.

Levi gently put the tray on the table, eyes didn't leave the girl in front as he served her a cup.

Once he seated, his fingers immediately reached to his own cup, holding it by the rim and brought it to his lips. By this time it wasn't a surprise to Ireen on how he's drinking, and since the captain himself already had his own, she can drink hers too. Though, there shouldn't be any rules implying who could drink first.

"This is... Very nice.. What kinda tea is this?" Ireen eyes widened at the taste of the tea. It was something new to her. The flavor was rich,
quite strong to be honest but she didn't mind it. Probably could do better with more sugar, but she didn't raised the thoughts because she didn't want the captain to misunderstand her to being bratty. But most importantly, the smell...oh it smells so good and relaxing.

She could use to this forever.

"Black tea, one of the finest from the center. You won't get it anywhere." Levi spoke from under his cup.

"From the center? How could we have it then?"

"It is from my personal stash."

"Personal stash? Is it okay for me to drink it?"

"Tch, why are you asking it now? I already served it to you was it even questionable anymore?"

"No.. I'm sorry..."

And it became silent again.

Ireen busied herself munching on her bread while Levi kept his eyes on his drink. Despite the two sitting on the same table it didn't change the fact that each were basking on their own comfort of silence. At least no pressure of having to force some unneeded conversation.

"Why are you awake?" Levi spoke after a while.

"Huh?? Oh, well I don't know. I guess I got hungry in my sleep so that's why.."

The answer caused him to sneak a glance upwards to her face.

"It's not healthy to skip your dinner after you tiring down yourself for the whole day. Don't do that again. It's an order."

Ireen gulped, feeling the chill ran down her spine when her gaze met with his. It was full of authority. Just a second ago he looked relaxed and unbothered but in a second it changed to a serious one.

No wonder Eren slightly frightened by him.

"Captain, if you don't mind I'm asking, why aren't you sleeping yet?" She peeked up from under her cup, suddenly feeling anxious from asking the question.

"Can't sleep."

"Was this a normal occasion? Because your eyebags... Never mind it's probably a stupid question and I probably should-"

"Tch."

"I'm sorry. I really shouldn't ask."

"Don't..."

"Pardon?"

"Don't back pedal, cadet. If you have a question you should just ask. Regardless the questions were answered or not is a different thing."

"I, see... Well I was wondering if unable to sleep at night was normal occurrence to you, captain."

"No. I sleep well at night."

"Just, how many hours per -" the glare given by the captain caused Ireen's face flustered as she tried to compose her nervous. "I mean, you don't have to tell if you don't want to, but genuinely I'm just worried because you looked so tired and Hange-san won't stop talking about you won't stop being cranky with the cadets and go harsh on her when she was actually worried that you didn't sleep much and -"

"Of course, it's Hange." He made a clicking noise with his tongue as he looked sideways. "Can't leave my business alone..." As he whispered to himself.

Ireen heard it though. Being right opposite to him in the dark and silence room of course she would heard it.

Her gaze lingered a moment at the cup in her hands, then to his, then back up to his face. Her eyebrows scrunched while looking at his grunting face.

"Sir, even without Hange telling me, I think, if I ever find out about this I will still be worried of you. Sleep deprived is common between soldiers, especially the higher rank they are in the more stressful they tend to be. And not to mention they are pretty busy during the day time. It's because of those busyness that I think they should get more rest so they can work well on the next day."

....

"I just...think that if one life can carelessly lose due to tiredness or lack of a proper rest then it's mandatory for each person to ensure they are well rested and energized before joining an expedition. I know you are strong but accidents have no scent so it is better to be safe than sorry."

Levi wasn't blinking as he stared at the girl in front of him. Out of all people he ever met, young cadets especially, none bothered to question his sleeping schedule. Some may not know of the problem he's facing, but mostly know because news spread faster than flue virus in the air, especially when the person in the topic is someone dubbed as the 'humanity's strongest'. And Ireen wasn't like any of them.

And the way Ireen did, the way she addressed to his problem, was by expressing her concern and instil some guilt sense to persuade him to sleep. It's like mentioning if you didn't rest well you could die being trampled by those giant freaks and caused chaos to the scouting formation. Because if he's dead then he won't be there to perform his duty. And all soldiers, if anything never wished themselves to be the burden to the survival of the entire troop.

But she was playing a dangerous game here if she thinks she could ordered someone superior than her.

"Cadet, what is the most important things to you?"

But Levi didn't want to brush off her concern because her worries stemmed from her being a kind soul that cares for others.

"Huh?? What is the most important things to me??"

So he changed the subject.

Levi gave a pointed look as he hated to repeat his question.

Knowing the eyes won't stop boring into hers until she answered, Ireen fiddled with the left strands of her hair as she looked sideways. "That'll be my family." She whispered softly as her eyelids hooded.

"I have read your record. It mentioned you don't have any family members left."

"I know. But I have a new one. Mikasa, Eren and Armin. They are my family."

Levi snuck a glance to the wall behind her. 

"Depending on how they perform you realize there are chance...they won't be back from an expedition, right?"

"I know..."

His gaze back on her face again.

"And you are fine with it?"

....

Ireen placed a palm flatly onto the table. Meanwhile the other was still cupping her cup.

"It's their dream to join Survey Corps. I can't stop them."

"And I have high trust on you that you will remain in your position during the expedition regardless what happen?"

Levi saw how her fingers twitched and pressed harder against the wooden table. Her lips fitted into a thin line.

"Yes, I won't break the formation."

She gave her words. Levi could confirm she was speaking the truth judging from how stressed her fingers were in clenching. She was trying to stick to the orders.

It went silent for once again. Levi still calmly drinking from his third round of tea. Ireen has been having her head bowing down and eyes staring at the remaining brown liquid in her cup.

"You can go back to your room if you want. You don't have to stay here."

The words didn't processed first at time she heard him. But then it slowly get into her brain and she nodded slightly before pushing her chair backwards.

Levi watched the girl cleaned up her mess before tucking back the chair under the table.

"Ireen, what's your age?"

Ireen momentarily stopped. "16".

"Hmm." Levi nodded as a response. "Come down at anytime if you need to drink the tea. Mind you, I only allow you to take from my stash."

Ireen was confused. Why though? But she didn't pressed any further.

"I see. Thank you, captain. I'll help myself whenever I feel like it."

After Ireen left, Levi was left in the darkness with the candle that he brought. He was spacing out thinking of things before curses left his mouth.

"Dammit, Erwin is sending a 16 years old girl to death. Was this really necessary?"

He pondered over the plans that they had discussed and Ireen's placement during the expedition. He exhaled harshly, wondering what could be the success rate of she's coming back home alive.

It didn't miss his mind how he's gonna break the news to Eren if she failed to, and how the brunette will react to the death of his friend. He hoped there's something he could do to change, but he trusted Erwin's judgement. He's not gonna interfere.

But he still a human with heart and empathy.

- - -

Ireen fly in the air like she was the bird herself. How many times had she circled the titan she had no idea. But she still did the same thing as she evaded and swung under its limbs and muscles to avoid the grab.

"Come on, Eren. You still can't catch me?"

The whizzing sound came from her canister singing in Eren's ears as she pressed harder, and closer.

"I'm still haven't done anything yet." She partially screamed while floating.

Within five metre radius from them were Levi and Hange, and Moblit. The veterans were watching and eyeing the situation, also taking some notes regarding titan Eren. A little bit at distance from them was the Levi's squad, randomly scattered around with more backup soldiers at the rear.

"I'm glad Eren was able to transform and retain his conscious at the same time. This experiment went successful. But he seems to be out of himself, or maybe that's just how his titan's form reacting. Do you know why, Levi?" Hange pushed up her glasses. She pulled the stir of her horse, bringing it to totter few steps.

"Tch, how the hell should I know his problem?" Levi had his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"You sure you didn't threaten him or something?"

Receiving the famous Levi's glare the scientist surrendered with a snicker. She faced forward and screamed to the air to where Ireen was.

"Time for plan B! Do it now, girl!"

"Already? Are you sure?" Ireen screamed back.

"It's fine! We are backing up here!" And Hange reassured with a thumb up.

At the sign Levi had a blade pulled out as he pulled the stir to his horse to get closer.

"I'm surprised you allowed her to do this task." Hange spoke as she followed Levi's action.

"I am more surprise she's willing to do it."

Hange took a pause as she looked at the back of his head.

The sound of the blade slicing the air signaled them that the test had began.

Ireen had a grappler hooked to Eren's shoulder when she pulled out her blades. "Get your eyes open wide, Eren", she said, before shooting another to the ground. The string connected to her hip pulled her body downwards quickly as the other grappler unhooked.

Few inches before her body could slam against the ground she hooked another to the back of his thigh, puling her up once again. While reeling in the air Ireen sliced Eren's left back knee, making him losing balance and tumbling forward.

Eren was distracted and tried to stand straight, channelling most of his pressure into the healthy leg. Meanwhile Ireen traveled up his body, piercing a grappler into his right bicep that pulled her body up. She moved quickly bringing her blades to her right waist, cutting diagonally on Eren's back - starting from the left waist to the right shoulder.

Ireen twirled in the air once she went beyond Eren's head level at the same time her grappler unhooked.

But it wasn't ending yet.

Eren could feel another hook piercing his side face, so he turned, eyes meeting with Ireen's.

As he attempt to grab her Ireen ricocheted downwards leaving a long nasty cut starting from his collarbone down to his right thigh. Eren screamed from the searing pain and stepped backwards as Ireen dropped on the ground and skidded along the way to stop herself.

It was just for a second, but Eren's eyes flickered to an anger and offensive mode. And Ireen saw it, immediately alerting her with the upcoming danger. So she backed away immediately, fleeing to a nearby tree and hang loosely there while watching from afar.

Eren stood at where he was, as his wounds started to heal. The sizzling sound came from the pouring steam. Eren went breathless, eyes yet to leave Ireen's but he looked a little bit calmer - if not wary - than before.

As he slowly regenerated himself Levi and Hange approached him.

"Eren, are you okay?" The mad scientist screamed while bringing her horse to a stop near his feet.

Levi meanwhile shot his grappler and flew up landing lightly on his shoulder. He grabbed a few strands of his brown hair to stabilize himself.

"Oi, you are still you, aren't you?"

Eren's gaze shifted and he nodded slightly due to his inability to speak.

"He's fine, four eyes! Now shut up!" Levi screamed from the top to the still shouting scientist below.

Levi threw a glance back at Eren and watched his fearful - plus shocking - eyes. "Surprised, huh? Me too. If you wasn't expecting that speed of friend of yours I certainly am not."

Levi could feel the shudder that silently coursed through the titan's spine. But he wasn't affected so his poker face remained.

"Alright, I think we are done here! Can you get back to your normal form, Eren??" Hange once again shouted once she's done with getting Moblit to jot down important notes.

Nodding his head, Eren forced himself out from his titan's nape, creating a small opening that allowed him to rise out from it and undetached his muscles from his titan's.

Levi then helped the boy down from the carcass and watched as steam poured out heavily to eradicate its ever existence.

Light steps and clacking sound neared them as Ireen descended from the tree and walked closer. Her blades were kept tight into the blade boxes and the grips were secured in into the holsters.

She watched Eren nervously as she got closer.

"You okay?" Ireen asked carefully, thinking back of what she had done earlier. She had a genuine concern seen through her green hues, as Eren gulped down and nodded few times.

He remained silent for a while. "Yeah.. What was that for? Suddenly cutting me?"

"It was..one of the test. We want to see your healing speed, your pain tolerance and your reaction to unforeseen danger. That's why I did that. I hope you aren't mad." Ireen solemnly looked down as guilt ate her.

Eren detached his gaze from hers as he stared into his open fist.

"I'm not.. It just, I feel sick. For a moment, I thought, you really want to hurt me..."

".... I'm sorry..."

The surrounding air went heavy. Hange could feel it. So she stepped forward standing next to Eren.

"By letting her testing you to try grabbing her while she fly around will give you the sense of focus. We purposely tell her to go slow and let you in the most calm self. And when you aren't expecting it she will attack you out of nowhere and see if your titan somehow has its own danger sense that can make you react out of your control." She spoke.

"With that said, do you feel any of it?! Do you feel like you need to suddenly attack back?! Does your body ever felt like being forced to move by its own?!!" Hange crouched down, eye to eye with the boy as her emotion changed 360° to an enthusiastic one while questioning him.

Stuttering his words and at lose Eren plead the scientist to give some space, through his eyes. Levi saw it so he pulled Hange back by the collar as Ireen handed the boy a bottle of water.

"Water?"

"Yeah... Thank you.." Eren accept the offered drink. 

He gave a small smile to reassure Ireen that he was fine  but obviously Ireen still couldn't shake off the guilt. She doesn't even know how to explain to Mikasa about today's experiment.

Bet she will be marked as her second target after Levi in hurting Eren. 

"Let's get back to the castle. The experiment is over and you should take some rest. Hange, lay off from the boy for a while. You can ask him after we reach there."

"Ehh??? But immediate response is important Levi! I can't not asking him now!!"

Levi clicked his tongue in annoyance.

"It's okay captain. I feel fine." Eren immediately spoke as to not cause the two to fight.

Glancing a look at the boy's face Levi hummed before turning his face away.

"If you insist."

Hange was immediately on her knees again to question Eren.

"So Eren? First tell me do you feel the pain when getting sliced? Where did you feel it? Which area most painful?! Does it feels the same as getting sliced in human's form?! Can you control which part to heal first?!! How about the speed?!! How fast can you make yourself heal?! Does it ever bother you -"

"Oi, let's talk at the side for a while." Levi called Ireen, muting the conversation between the nonstop asking Hange and the troubled-looking Eren. Cocking his head sideway to an empty place, Ireen nodded her head as she agreed, and leave Moblit that frantically trying to calm Hange down.

"Sir?" They came into a stop once they won't be hearing Hange's loud cries.

Ireen glanced for a while at Levi's neat undercut, before meeting his eyes as he turned. He stared down at the girl in front, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"Ness told me to get you to the stable by 12pm. The other recruits will be there to choose their horses for the expedition so you have to go."

"I see.. I'll make sure I'll be there on time. Thank you for informing me." Ireen bowed slightly.

Levi still kept his glance remained on her.

It was a questioning 5 seconds silence before the captain spoke again.

"I can see why Erwin adamant to put you in Mike's squad."

"Pardon?" Ireen blinked once.

"Your speed and endurance, as well as balance and self control in maneuvering ODM gears are in top notch. Perfect for a bait."

"A... A bait?"

"Tch, Cover and intervention Squad isn't any normal squad. It operates in the most similar ways like mine and four eyes. Criteria looking to be part of the team are fast enough and brave enough to act as titan's bait. The team will be patching up any holes in the formation, covering or replacing lost soldiers that ahead of the formation so the formation won't fall off early, and so on. Sure you know that." Levi started explaining. But noticing the lost look in her green hues caused the captain to widen his eyes.

"You... Didn't know that?"

"I... Know that. Except for the titan's bait part. No one ever told me."

"Tch. Then what were you told before?"

"Well I was told that my squad will mainly be near the command squad, protecting the entire formation by engaging with the titans that slipped past the frontal guard. Also to defense other squads while they are building the base and cover squad 4 when catching a titan."

"And how you direct the titan's attention away from those building the base or to let squad 4 catching them?"

......

Levi narrowed his gaze seeing the female looking stressed.

"You become the bait. That is the main task of Cover and Intervention Squad."

"I see..." The distressed in her eyes disappeared in an instance he gave the answer.

"Are you disappointed that they didn't tell you this?"

"Not really. Like I said, squad leader Mike told me that I'll be helping out the other squads, like yours or squad 4 in catching titans or taking out titans while others are building the base so technically speaking, becoming the bait is also considered as part of the job even though he didn't mention it. So it didn't bother me."

Ireen took a pause.

"Besides, he told me that I will know more of my duties when I'm on the field myself. And he judged my skills to be able to cope with the situation so I don't question him much further."

"Even so it's much better if you know earlier what you're going to face. Rather than having yourself figure out own your own... Tch.."

Levi scoffed as he uncrossed his hands.

"I don't know if you're stupid or what, but overestimated your capabilities could backfire one day. Be prepared at all time. Take it to your brain."

"Captain, are you worried of me?"

"What?"

"Aren't you guys suspicious of me for whatever it is....that's why you guys put such test and pressure on me before?"

"Idiot. No matter what you are still one of us. You choose to be in Survey Corps. That alone is enough to make you a valuable comrade that deserves all the cares from the others."

Levi glared. He turned and gave his back to the female, before looking behind his shoulder slightly. 

"Don't ever think your life to be so cheap.. While you are still breathing keep appreciating the value of it."

"Yes sir."

"One more thing. Keep polishing your skills. Your speed is highly appreciated and will help more in upcoming expeditions. Take yourself to another level and I can personally recommend you for a position."

"S-sir, are you ser-"

"Let's go now. I'll take you to Ness."

Ireen watched as the older walked away. He made it clear that the conversation was over. So Ireen couldn't say whatever she wanted too.

- - -

Ireen walked calmly to the stable once she was dropped off by Levi. She shared a horse with Moblit on her way to the experimenting area earlier. But since Moblit is busy helping Hange *ahem* "interrogating" Eren at the moment Levi offered her a lift back to the castle a.k.a the HQ. Otherwise she could walk herself to the building.

Ireen accepted it in a beat because she doesn't want to walk all the way back because she's lazy.

Getting nearer to the stable she could hear the murmuring voice of squad leader Ness from the inside. And she could smell all the scents of her friends so she knew everyone was there already.

She knocked on the wooden wall of the stable few times to alert her presence, interrupting Ness' talk before she walked in.

"Good afternoon, squad leader Ness. Sorry for being late." She stopped a few feet away from the older male and saluted him as usual.

"Ahhh Ireen. Finally here. Don't be too stressed. I understand you have few things in your hands." Ness calmly spoke as he waved off Ireen's worry.

"Get into the line with the others. I was just starting."

Complied, Ireen stood at the most left, next to Jean.

"Here are the spare horses." Ness cocked his head slightly backwards pointing to the numbers of horse inside their stalls minding their own businesses.

"I'll let you choose one for your own. You'll be stuck with the horse for your entire service with the Survey Corp, or until one of you kick the bucket, you know..so be picky and choose the one you can get along well. We'll start with the shortest in the group. I don't want them end up with horses that they can't jump over."

"That's you, Ireen." Jean snickered as he lightly elbowed the red-haired. "Think you can find a pony there?"

Ireen glared up, then smirked. "I hope you pick a female horse, Jean. She will be happy to have her companion as her soulmate."

"What did you say??!"

Connie overheard it and held his laughter as Ireen walked forward. She and Krista were the first to pick one.

Walking passed few stalls, Ireen briefly looked at each. She didn't exactly know which one to choose since every each of it looks the same. They have muscles ripped under their pelt, showing how reliable they could be during the expeditions. They  were also looking very fit and healthy as what they should be so picking which ever was fine. If she could further choose she would wanted to have Levi's black stallion but that was impossible for sure.

She guessed she would just have to pick the most shortest one to ease her step to jump on.

That, until her gaze met with a pair of soft brown eyes, that looked back at her with a tender gaze, pulling her to some sort of dimension of where the wind was blowing lightly pushing her hair backwards and ruffling her long summer dress God knows from where it came with petals of flowers and leaves falling down in a gentle manner.

Ireen snapped out of it.

She looked away to more horses at the other stalls feeling weird from such unexpected phenomenal. But when she walked pass the horse it suddenly bite her hair, puling her back backwards few steps.

Ireen let out a surprised scream as her hands tried to release her hair from its mouth, when Ness rushing to her side to help. The others were in shock, startled in their own pose. Until Sasha's comment blew them off.

"Ackk!! I don't know Ireen's hair was delicious! Why the horse is eating it?"

"What??" Jean and Connie deadpanned.

"You okay, Ireen?"

Ness managed to pry off Ireen's hair from the horse's mouth.

"Yes sir, I was just surprised that it suddenly eat my hair."

"Ireen, are you okay?" Krista eyed in worry, palms over her chest. She was immediate to her side when she heard her scream.

"Yeah.. I'm fine, Krista. My hair still intact." Ireen patted down her hair to fix it back to normal.

Ness took a look at the horse, that still watching Ireen as the female stepped away a bit.

"That's weird. It never misbehaved before. I wonder what could be the reason."

"Maybe your hair smells like food?" Krista wondered.

"That can't be right, Krista." Ireen sighed at the comment.

"Well let's just let it be. You can continue looking around to pick your hors-"

The horse suddenly neighed loudly, surprising Ness, Ireen and Krista as they backed away. It continuously rising its front feet, fretting around in its stall while eyeing the red-haired.

"What's wrong with it?" Ness looked in wary.

Ireen blinked few times watching the horse acting restless. Its gaze never leaved her, and despite she walked from one side to the other to check on it its eyes still followed her trail. She pondered over her thoughts silently.

Ireen's next action rose a questioning look from everyone. They all watched as the red-haired walked forward, to the still uncalm horse slowly. She gazed up, cocking her head sideways while sizing it up.

"Do you...want me, to be your companion?" She calmly talked to the horse, pointing one finger to it and another to herself.

A loud neigh pursed from its lips as its hooves stumping on the ground few times.

Ireen looked at Ness, pointing her finger to the said horse.

"I think, it wants me. It chooses me."

Ness was eyeing her like she grew a pair of horns.

"You can't be serious?"

"No.. I am. Let me check it." Ireen put out her hand in front its muzzle, and the horse took a swift sniff before nuzzling its head on it. When Ireen placed another hand on top of its head it purred in delight in low voice.

Ireen looked back at Ness. "I think it really wants me."

Ness was left speechless. Krista was wide agape at the situation.

"W-well, if you said so.." Ness looked back at the horse that currently spoiling itself by rubbing its face to Ireen's hands.

"I think it's perfect for your height too. Well if you have made the decision, you can get it out of its stall and wait outside. We will start with the horse training right after everyone get theirs."

Ness walked back to the other recruits as Ireen nodded, and handling the horse. While Krista get back to search for her own horse that she could rely on too.

She wished a horse will pick her too because that speaks a lot when an animal choose you to be the owner.

- - -

It was noisy.

A type of noisy that never ends whenever horse face met with a suicidal maniac, or a food lover squealing at the thoughts of ordinary boiled potatoes with a single brain cell baldy, or a non-stop "as expected of my Krista!" and "marry me!" gays (pretty sure the taller is gay but not sure about the shorty) that tingles every inch of the peace seekers' skins to the point that they wished the world was mute. Ireen slowing down her pace as she wished to be a bit at distance from the group, that currently heading to the dining hall for the usual dinner.

"What's with the stuck up face?" Reiner accompanied her as he wished to detach himself from the noise too. It had escalated when they bumped into Eren in the hallway earlier. 

"Nothing... Just, annoyed."

"For?"

"Not sure... The feelings just surfaced." Ireen sighed as she rolled her shoulders.

They didn't do pretty much of training today. Just learning to order around their horses through whistling, petting them in certain manners to instruct them to stop or moving, and bonding with them to build chemistry. But what supposed to be a dutiful training turned to a casual competition when Connie and Sasha suddenly challenged each other on who could race faster.

Of course things escalated and Jean was dragged along, and his smart mouth caused Reiner to join, then Bertholdt (forced by Reiner), and then Ireen, and then Mikasa because the ravenette's pride ticked off when the red-haired said she's better in riding horse.

Ness had turned a blind eye to the competition. He was actually enjoying it at the side. Most importantly he couldn't forget the excitement in most of their faces when he break the news that everyone is getting a day off tomorrow, and a welcoming party in the evening.

"Ohhh... Girl's day's coming?"

Ireen growled when Reiner interrupted her daydream. She felt like feeding that smug face of gorilla with her fist upon glaring up. Even though she has tiny fist.

"I'm pretty sure it was just because I'm tired."

Reiner laughed loudly at her evasive answer.

They finally reached the dinning hall and immediately sauntering to the line. Eren and Jean now were fighting over who gets to line at the front first, while Armin was trying to stop their fight. Mikasa was simply standing loyally next to Eren. 

Ireen smacked the both on the back of their heads and told them to shut up, glaring while walking pass them to be the first at the line. She ignored their mocking faces as Ray followed closely behind her before turning and made eye contact with them warning them to behave.

What they didn't expect was Ray's today's mood to be a not so good one. If they have to rate the level of his moody it would be 10.5/10 today. And just looking at his face could scare them badly more than Ireen did.

That explained why they were shivering and mouths tightly sealed, including Armin who wasn't even fighting earlier. It was common in the talks that the calmest one will be the scariest when angry.

At long last, everyone was seated at their preference table and ate in peace. Small chit chats were exchanged between them, before slowly one by one of them leaving to retreat to their own dorms.

The day finally ended, and tomorrow will be a day off. They could take easy tonight and choose to sleep late, but maybe because their body was to use sleeping early they immediately hit snoozed mode in a second their head hit the pillows.

Nevertheless, it was another peaceful night for the soldiers of the Survey Corps.

[Clashing Blades.] © Devilish_red

•Please leave your vote, comment and follow. Thank you so much! •

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 230 29
[COMPLETE UNDER EDITING] Ichika Hayashi is abandoned at the age of 18, she is left bearing a child by a man she wished she never came across. A few y...
6.8K 120 23
your also a killer of titans, when suddenly one day you come across wall Maria...you go in disguise as a human and see what life is like, thats until...
165K 4.4K 30
「𝙇𝙚𝙫𝙞 𝘼𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙧𝙢𝙖𝙣 𝙭 𝙁𝙚𝙢𝙖𝙡𝙚 𝙍𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙚𝙧」 Born and raised in the Underground, You lived happily and peaceful with your parents. But at...
58.8K 1.4K 84
* this story is a wlw story and will tackle heavy subjects The only person that filled the void after having lost your mother was your girlfriend th...