The Search for Cinderella

By WaitingForEnd

After being left destitute by her stepmother Jade must dress up as a man to make a respectable living since s... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Epilogue
Drabble 1: Ring

Chapter 40

5.5K 274 88
By WaitingForEnd

Jade fumbled with her dress as she attempted to look nonchalant. Despite her instinct to snatch her fingers away she allowed Luke to hold her as one would let an attendant leading one to their dinner seat.

The King and Queen did not remain stationary for long and vacated the corridor. Jade breathed out aloud as the scrutiny upon them disappeared temporarily.

"Hang on," Luke murmured impatiently. His grasp on Jade's arm slowed down her long legs to a halt.

"What? Your parents are waiting," Jade hissed, unable to see any reason for delay.

"I don't care. They've already taken up too much of my time this month when I could have spent it with you," Luke grumbled and Jade just rolled her brown eyes.

"Oh, really," Jade retorted, "I was beginning to feel convinced you were avoiding me. You're lucky I'm not engaged to another by now."

"Engaged to another!" The Prince's voice boomed despite the shushing sound made by dinner companion.

"I was very popular with the courtiers if you must know. I had to leave the palace to avoid the circus," The girl explained with a lofty tone of voice. She was walking towards the end of the corridor at the slowest pace possible.

"And here I thought you were too scared to meet my mother," Luke smirked, souring Jade's triumphant look.

"Why would that thought even cross your head," The tall girl attempted to compose herself. She patted her mother's necklace upon her slender neck in an effort to look presentable," They must think me a shameless hoyden canoodling with you right in front of them."

"Perhaps," Luke said, mysteriously.

"You seem to have run out of words of comfort," Jade grumbled,"I would not be in this situation if it were not for you."

"You'd still be making that bread on a desolate hilltop if it weren't for me," Luke said, with teasing smirk.

The elegant doors were opened for the waiting pair and the herald announced their arrival despite the fact that no one else was expected. Jade stifled a smile on her face that escaped for no reason.

The Queen's blue eyes remained impassive while the King looked amused as the pair walked in and bowed gracefully once again. The one thing Jade did not miss from her time at the palace was all the Royal posturing. At least in an effort to keep things discreet even the usual noble attendants were not invited to their private dinner.

"I suppose we do not need any further introductions as it is not the first time we have met," The Queen's voice was sharp.

"Mother, I thought we did not wish to speak of that incident," Luke pressed the issue as he helped Jade stuff her red gown in her chair. His father was watching a servant swirl his wine glass for him.

"You did not wish to speak of it. I did not say a word in agreement," The Queen was obstinate and looked at Jade with an indescribable expression, "I suppose you took your time at the palace to understand my son's likes and dislikes."

"Yes, I am very familiar with his dealings. I would not have been a good secretary if I had not, your highness," Jade replied, ignoring the hostility completely.

"Of course," The Queen said with a pinched look, "You must have been startled to find yourself on a quest in desolate lands instead of dealing with the palace politics. It must have been unpleasant."

"Sir Elliot is a wise man. I hope he had chosen me with suitable qualities in his mind regarding the quest," The taller girl replied. She attempted to place her hands in her lap when her left hand was encircled by warm fingers. Jade gave the Prince a startled glance but the man remained placid, revealing nothing of his mischief on his face.

"I'm afraid my opinion on his judgement is not particularly high these days. Very well," The Queen dismissed the matter and allowed for the first course to be brought. The ordinarily sharp King remained silent although his grey eyes followed all the movements around him. The servants placed the meals in front of the small party and disappeared from view.

"I have heard your stepmother's trial is nearing completion?" The older Royal asked as if he was not aware of the happenings in his kingdom.

"I have had no word from the solicitor's office, Your Highness, but I intend to attend the court hearing the day after tomorrow before I leave for the country estates. There are pressing financial matters that require my attendance in the country," The girl replied as she tried to eat her meal with one hand. She hit Luke's foot with her own glass heel and the entire table shook as the injured man could not contain his reaction.

"Luke, my goodness," The Queen placed her cutlery down with a clang on her plate. Such manners at any other time would have brought comment from the courtiers but the older woman seemed to not care.

"Perhaps the appetiser is too hot for the Prince," Jade took a nonchalant bite into her delicately propped up meal.

"Will you not employ a steward?" The King with a probing look.

"I intend to, your Highness, but I need to understand even the minutest workings of the two estates before I hand the papers over to their respective stewards. I will not make the mistake of trusting a stranger ever again," The duchess remarked, taking great pains to look as civilised as possible while eating.

"Two different stewards? Do you not mean to combine the estates?" It was the Queen's turn to now interrogate. For some reason talking about money matters relieved Jade. She could safely answer questions without feeling like an imbecile.

"They both have different yields, Your Highness. My farmers on my cousin's estate deal with livestock while my father's tenants deal with grain. My cousin's farms function on a different timetable and I think it best to keep the two properties separate," Jade replied. She had made the decision after much deliberation.

"I see the wisdom in your decision," The King answered with a slow nod. Jade trembled from relief and nearly lost a morsel from atop her plate with her overzealous sawing of her knife. She may not be a distinguished woman of quality they must have wanted for their son but she could at least be deemed competent in their eyes. Luke took the opportunity to capture her hand all over again under the table.

"I should hope you keep them running competently, Lady Durnn," The Queen gave Jade a thoughtful look, "Our famous pillows are supplied by the Durnn estates and I would be devastated if they had to be replaced."

"I shall endeavour to keep things running as smoothly as possible," The brown haired girl accepted the challenge. She tried to snatch her fingers away but Luke's grip remained persistent. The benign smile on his face hid their struggle underneath the dining table which infuriated Jade.

"I did hear you wished to start another enterprise? My son informed me you asked him to be the guest of honour," The King added to the information.

"Why was I never notified of this?" Luke's mock outrage made his mother raise an eyebrow.

"The Crown Prince did me the honour of escorting me for a pleasant walk. It was natural I would ask of him for a precious moment of his time. After all you seemed rather busy," Jade blinked with faux innocence. The plates in front of her were changed for the next course.

"The veal you are tasting also comes from your farms," The Queen informed Jade who looked down at the meat in surprise.

"Well," Jade paused, "I am honoured to take part in such grand tradition of providing supplies to the Royal family. The pressure only mounts, your Highness."

"I suppose the pressure is a lot less than meeting the parents of your beloved," The Queen's red lips curled at the sight of the younger girl's face losing all colour. The brown haired girl tried to speak but lost her tongue.

"Mother, seriously. Please refrain from alarming our guests?" Luke exclaimed.

"My darling, what did you expect," The older woman drawled, "You have had your way for too long and now it is our turn. I just intend to make sure you are not bewitched once again."

"I could throw his glass of water at him if you have your doubts," Jade found her tongue at an inappropriate moment. She swiftly downed a glass of sherry to ensure her mouth remained too busy to talk.

"It will have been a good punishment for what you have put us through," Luke's mother declared.

"As if you lot were any help. If Jade hadn't taken up the role of my secretary who knows where I would have been. No body even knew I was enchanted or how to break the enchantment," The Prince protested.

"Men in love do silly things..." The King murmured breaking his silence.

"I was distributing glass slippers all over the city, nay country! Did I not seem mad to everyone," Luke grumbled.

"Even I tried on the shoe," Jade suddenly remembered, "It was tiny. My large feet could not be contained by it. If that was your criteria then you have failed with me."

"Those weren't the shoes that mattered after all," The younger man replied quietly.

"What are your intentions towards her?" The Queen rounded up on Luke with narrowed eyes.

"My intentions? Shouldn't you be interrogating her?" The Prince protested. The tables had turned too swiftly for him to understand what was going on.

"The poor girl has no parents. She deserves to be given a fair chance for someone to vet her prospective beau?" The older woman was as passionate about the matter as her son.

"I feel like Mr. Gepetto has done a good enough job scrutinising me..." Luke grumbled.

"The man does have a solid punch," The King agreed, "Or at least he did thirty years ago."

"She is everything I have dreamed off," Luke proclaimed to his parents in hopes they would accept his suit rising Jade's ire. The familiar words corroded her insides. His words only dredged up unpleasant memories.

"And what is your plan for the future?" The Queen interrogated, "I know I cannot stop you but you cannot just paint the town red like you wish. She is no longer your subordinate, or even just your friend. There will be talk."

Jade felt the hold of the larger hand tightened around hers. She could sense the discomfort seize Luke's brow as he mulled over his mother's words. Suddenly Jade's concentration was broken by a pinching gesture on her finger.

"What is this?" Jade brought up her newly released hand. She nearly bowled over seeing the precious metal ring glinting in the bulb light.

"Oh, that's a ring," Luke crossed his arms nonchalantly.

"You didn't even ask before you placed it on my finger?" The brown haired girl growled, forgetting all decorum.

"I promised I would not let go of you," The Prince whispered, solemnly.

"Oh, I thought I raised at least one boy with a flair for romance but I was proven wrong. Both of you have been atrocious. What will you tell your children when they asked how you proposed," The Queen looked as stricken as the younger girl. The King spluttered over his wine as he could not contain his amusement.

"Yes, what will we tell our children," Jade demanded though a grin was already unfurling on her face.

"I shall tell them to mind their own business if they wish for us not to interfere in their lives," Luke gave his parents a beady eyes stare, "Mother, father, I wish to drop Jade back to Sir Monroe's personally after we finish out meal."

"At this time of night?" The King gave his son an unimpressed look but his son was made from the same material he was. He did not look away before the King nodded.

"We will absolutely not do anything you haven't done," Luke declared.

"What a bore you are, Luke," The Queen drawled with the wave of her hands, "Why even bother with dessert. Leave both of you. You clearly don't want to be with us dowdy pair."

Jade stared at all the Royals with large, unblinking eyes. She had not fathomed how quickly the dinner party had dissolved into chaos. None of the Royals seem perturbed by the disruption of the young Prince.

Luke frowned at the still seated Jade and plucked her up from her seat. She was mid bow when he waved at his parents and dragged her out. He nearly shut the door on Jade's voluminous dress in his haste to get away but she pulled it out swiftly.

"My perfect charming Prince. You're not boring at all," Jade laughed at the ridiculous affair.

"I thought I was boring enough to be chosen over my own brother for your guest of honour," Luke made a pointed remark.

"As if you gave me a choice. Up and abandoned me when I least expected it. It serves you right," Jade sniffed in an affected way.

"When must us unprivileged few turn up for the opening ceremony of your women's home project," The Prince asked curiously.

"A fortnight from now you will receive invitations for a private dinner at my renovated home. At least the public rooms are expected to be ready by then. I shall give the Crown Prince the itinerary then," Jade informed the man. He helped her through the threshold of the Palace door. The pair stumbled out into the cold air and quickly made way to the already running car.

"So, does this ring mean we're engaged," Jade asked as Luke manoeuvred the levers. She looked at her green and gold ring in awe.

"You haven't said yes," The Prince replied plainly, keeping his grey eyes on the road.

"And you haven't asked," Jade's reply was bland. Instead of continuing the conversation Luke veered off the main road and parked the vehicle on the side of the road. The rose garden on their left provided a scenic view and some privacy for the pair.

"I'm not going to leave you alone until you bid me to. I want you make me luckiest Prince in the known kingdoms," Luke's voice was touched with emotion.

"I'm sure Edward has much to say about being the luckiest Prince," Jade deflected self consciously. She still found it difficult to talk about serious matters.

"He's still hobbling around like a Buffon. It's safe to say be shall be rather upset. He's liked Emma for a lot longer then I've known you. He has wanted to give her his ring for a while but I have beaten him to it," The Prince gave her a fond look. He knew he needed to coax her into admitting how she truly felt.

"So, does this mean I should start whispering in Mr. Gepetto's ear about making me a wedding dress before Emma takes over all the dress orders," Jade asked with half a smile. She did not look as light hearted as Luke felt.

"I will not permit you to wear anything but red for our walk to the aisle," Luke jested with a chortle although his eyes glanced down on her fetching outfit.

"My husband will be a brute," Jade bit out with a laugh while Luke took her hand once again. It seemed he truly did not want to let go.

"It's a pretty colour. You look magnificent in it," The Prince squeezed Jade's captured hand.

"I look hideous in it. I was thinking about going with blue," The girl mused.

"Fine, choose whatever you want. Just ask Mr. Gepetto to plan the entire thing. I refuse to have my mother involved. She went insane when my sister got married. I shall foist her on Edward's new bride," Luke ranted suddenly remembering the terrible time that was Delilah's wedding. The two women had fought bitterly even as his sister had walked to her groom.

"Does she even like me? I can never quite tell what she's feeling when she's looking at me," Jade finally revealed why she felt jittery.

"You did save my life. My mother knows the depth of our dealing with the..." Luke trailed off not wanting to ruin the mood with talks of the witch. The past month was the first time in a year he had not dreamt about the odious witch and he had no wish to return to his night terrors.

"But your mother couldn't possibly have ever thought your bride needs to have life saving skills, did she? Her royal Highness must have wanted a docile, feminine, elegant partner for you!" Jade argued.

"She thinks you're beautiful and is certain our children will have delightful features. I think that's seal of approval enough," Luke waved his hand with a decisive movement, "Her remarks about your scar were to put me on edge."

"And your father? We've barely conversed even during our private audience with him. He remained mute much of the time during our meal. I know he noticed us holding hands under the table," Jade bit her lip remembering the incident clearly.

"He finds you quite entertaining whatever that means," The Prince rolled his eyes, "I had a lengthy conversation about you before our meal. I am privy to their private thoughts."

"Well that settles it. I shall be shunned by everyone," The girl was miserable. She finally broke her punishing grip on Luke's hand, "I must go. Emma shall be waiting in anticipation."

"You're forgetting something," The dark haired man reminded his partner and Jade's brown eyes narrowed with determination. She leaned close with her hand grasping the back of his neck and pressed her pliable lips to Luke's. The man inhaled sharply as the girl gently released him from her embrace leaving a stain of her rouge on his parted lips.

"I-I meant your ring," The man fumbled with his words along with the green stone ring he had stolen from her. The girl laughed at her own stupidity but Luke pounced on her without warning. Their lips clashed hotly until none of the rouge remained on either of the pair. Their harsh breath mingled as they parted. The heat running through their veins dismantled any signs of the cold weather. Luke's grey eyes could not break away from Jade's flushed face.

"Would you do me the honour of becoming all mine, to never letting me go," Luke asked with a gravelly breathlessness.

"I'm not going to be the girl of your dreams," Jade reiterated firmly.

"Who needs to dream when you're right in front of me," The man declared and Jade could not contain her smile.

She allowed Luke's warm hands to place the ring back on her finger. With a lingering kiss on the cheek Jade scampered back to Sir Monroe's home and waved the Prince away not caring if anyone saw.

...

Jade tried to look demure as they sat in her drawing room on uncomfortable chairs. Edward sat in the middle while the Luke and Jade flanked him on either side.

"Wouldn't it best if the lady is sat in the middle. It will make the portrait much balanced, Your Highness," The photographer suggested, nervously.

"I think we're suitably placed," Jade shrugged before the Prince could say a word.

"I insist," Edward said sharply as he rose from his place imperiously, "I will not have this photograph published in the newspaper if it looks unbalanced."

"Unbalanced, oh the tragedy," Luke hissed in Jade's ear making her giggle

"Please, even the smallest movement will ruin the picture," The photographer pleaded.

"How long will it take?" Luke fidgeted with his buttons as the photographer changed the glass plate.

"Long enough that my limbs are starting to sleep," Jade replied from the corner of her mouth. The photographer was now fiddling with the lens.

"Hush, both of you," Edward interrupted their conversation, "Please don't waste any more of my time."

"Please try to look pleasant enough. I don't want my brother and fiance to look murderous," Luke spoke with a wide grin.

"Fiance," Edward hollered and the photographer emerged from underneath the cloth looking very put out.

Jade waved at Edward the gleaming stone ring while wriggling her fingers. The man frowned at the ring as if it were mocking him.

"You couldn't have waited? I should have done my duty before you. I'm the eldest," Edward growled at his brother from atop of Jade's head.

"Deliah's married before you and she's younger."

"She's a girl. And she ensnared that oaf faster then he knew what to do. Oh, what shall I do now. I didn't even bring the ring with me," The Crown Prince looked agitated.

"You're mighty confident she shall say yes," The girl sitting next to him nudged his arm with her elbow. The man was too worried to care about her irreverence.

"No, I'm not. That's the problem. I cannot tell whether she shall say yes," Edward finally admitted.

"You deserve it. The way you treated her was beastly," Jade announced while Luke tried to discreetly keep the room temperature from boiling over.

"She wouldn't pay me any attention. What was I supposed to do?" The crown Prince replied with a lame excuse.

"What are you doing now should have been what you started with. Talk and listen to her. Communication is the only way forward," Jade had finally cottoned on Luke's whispering and was now speaking in gentle tones.

"Did I hear talk about an engagement," Mr. Gepetto announced as he reached the threshold of the drawing room door.

Emma peeked out from behind the older man. Her expressions displayed are varying array of emotions but they finally settled on delight for her friend. The two Princes stood politely to greet the new arrivals.

"Would the engaged couple like a picture taken," The photographer decided to make the best of the dire situation.

"I would like that. I suppose sitting for a photograph is not as uncomfortable as sitting for a painting," Jade clutched onto Luke's arm and sat herself down next to him.

For the next few minutes they stared at the camera with smiles that strained with the passing time. Emma and Mr Gepetto made small talk while the Crown Prince hovered close. He looked like he wanted to participate but remained frozen in place instead.

As soon as Jade's portraits were done Emma hugged her. They giggled like school girls and Jade let Emma admire her ring.

"I am ecstatic despite the fact that you hid it from me. I knew you would get engaged before mid summers. I have won my bet," The shorter girl stood on her toes to give Jade another hug.

"What bet?" Luke asked. He had now been roped along with his brother into taking some more pictures.

"Dimitri has his hands in many money pots but he was utterly wrong that the wedding would happen in winter after a short engagement," Emma revealed.

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard today," Edward couldn't help himself and looked like he was hoping the earth would split open and devour him.

"It's all in good fun," Emma exclaimed with a genuine smile. She seemed more at ease in Royal company now.

"Would you like to sit with our group for a portrait?" The Crown Prince asked. He kindly included Mr. Gepetto in the offer. A camera was an expensive and rare possession and it was possible they might not get the opportunity any time soon so everyone agreed instantly. Mr. Gepetto was placed in the centre with the two girls sitting next to him while the Princes were relegated to standing behind the chairs.

After an hour of portraits in various configurations dinner was served. The dining room seating was informal and the meal rustic instead of traditional despite the royal guests. Edward fortunately showed no airs and seemed to enjoy his vantage position which had him sat across Emma.

"That's a beautiful ring, Prince Luke. The colour is so vibrant," Emma expressed her approval of the engagement ring.

"Do you like these types of new age rings," Edward asked curiously and Emma considered his question.

"I'm not particularly picky about the kind of jewellery I wear. If the ring is beautiful no matter what the setting I would wear it," The shorter girl answered diplomatically.

"Oh, come on, Emma. You must have a firmer preference, surely," Jade decided to help out her future brother in law. The man was wilting before her eyes.

"Not particularly although I will say my only preference is to choose my own ring," Emma replied pointedly. Her eyes were on no one in particular but the meaning reached the recipient loud and clear.

"Are you excited for tomorrow?" Mr Gepetto broke the following silence.

"I do this kind of thing every other day," Edward declared loftily. He tool a sip of his mead.

"Forgive me, I thought Crown Princes had jobs that went beyond ribbons cuttings," Jade teased.

"It's really a stressful job. Surely you should know after trailing behind Prince Luke the entire time," Emma defended the Crown Prince before diving into the next course of the meal. The girl seemed oblivious to the fact that Edward's dimple had made an appearance for the briefest of moments.

Jade wanted to nudge Luke but felt it was too impolite and noticeable. She made the decision she needed to talk to Emma after dinner. The pair had had months to expand their relationship but it seemed stuck for no good reason.

"Will you join us in the parlour after the meal," Mr Gepetto asked as he licked the last spoonful of dessert.

"I must write my speech, I'm afraid, perhaps tomorrow I shall indulge in the comforts of this esteemed home," The Crown Prince replied respectfully.

They were scattering out to the parlour when Jade realised Emma had disappeared. She swirled around and found Prince Edward missing.

"Where are you going?" The younger Prince asked with a perturbed look.

"Follow me," The tall girl refused to explain herself as he nearly broke out into a run. Luke rolled his eyes as he realised what she was up to. A corner ahead, near the exit, were his brother and his beloved and he was not excited to see them.

"I hope you are having no trouble preparing for tomorrow. The books I sent you must have helped," Emma asked with a sweet smile on her face.

"Thank you. I'm glad you're assisting me with my task for tomorrow. I usually allow my speech writers their way but I am not satisfied by their words and must redo the speech myself," Edward gave a fond smile.

"If you would like further help I shall be available," The fair haired girl showed no sign of timidity as they wandered into the garden.

"Drat, not very fruitful," Jade grumbled, "I have a score to settle with Dimtiri as well. I've bet for them to be engaged by this spring."

Luke grinned at his fiancé and brought her back towards the room where Mr. Gepetto waited for them with sparkling drinks and witty conversation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 376 49
Gifted to a monstrous prince and expected to fulfill his every whim, a nameless slave yearns for one thing above all else: her freedom. There may be...
97 8 13
The fae princess, Aurelia, of Priamorus has been promised to the youngest prince of The Kuvine Kingdom, Adrian Kuva. They now must make their marriag...
1.8K 246 16
[A young adult retelling of Cinderella - LGBT] What begins as a failed date in a tea shop leads Jay to find his fairy Godmother, the one who could ma...
87 0 27
Autumn's life has always been a little more complicated than normal because she is a half-Fairy, but things take a turn for the worst when Jade, her...