brothers.

By electrawhittaker

brothers. (2021) Fourth Edition (2023) After 12 years of being in foster care, Diana Watson has had enough of... More

Author's Note
Disclaimer
Prologue
1~ Family Number 23
2~ Just Like The Rest
3~ First Breakfast
4~ Meeting the Girlfriends
5~ Elephant in the Room
6~ Maid
7~ High School
8~ Waterworks
9~ Disapproval
10~ Quicksand
11.1~ Sophomore
12~ Small World
13~ Whispers
14~ Eye for an Eye
15~ Something Wrong
16~ Secrets
17~ What a Tangled Web
18~ Running Out
19~ Memory Lane
20~ Doppelganger
21~ Answers
22~ First Session
23~ Movie Night
24~ Addie
25~ Friends and Foes
26~ Healing
27~ Diary of a Foster Kid
28~ Belonging
29~ The Book Club
30.1~ Exposed
30.2~ Exposed
31~ Overload
32~ Last Day
33.1~ Review
33.2~ Review
34.1~ Watch
34.2~ Watch
35~ Surprise
36~ Genuine
37~ Under the Stars
38~ Friendships
39~ Trick or Trap
40~ A Haunting Face
41~ Everything is Fine
42~ Every Day
43~ The Track Team
44~ Rescue
45~ Decline

11.2~ Sophomore

2.8K 92 36
By electrawhittaker

Upon entering, I went to the office, as Susan had told me last night. According to her, she'd asked the school to give me a tour guide for my first day. I was a bit worried that this would call attention to me, but it was better than wandering around this giant school and getting lost.

After asking the staff for the tour, I sat and waited for a few minutes until two feet entered my vision, my eyes turned down.

"Hi. Are you Diana Watson?"

I looked up at the owner of the friendly voice. A girl with sienna skin and chestnut brown hair stood in front of me, wearing a badge that read 'Summit High Welcoming Committee'. Her smile froze in place when I looked at her.

"Uh, yeah. That's me."

"Um... r-right. Uh- hi. I'm Alma Santiago. I'm a junior and a member of the Summit High Welcoming Committee." She fingered her badge. "Usually, we help out the freshmen students, but they told me you were... you needed some orientation."

"I guess so."

"Okay. So follow me and I'll lead you to your locker."

I stood, slinging my bag over my shoulder, and followed Alma down the hall. I kept my eyes on my shoes. If people around me were giving me that look, I couldn't allow myself to see it.

Alma herself seemed quite tense around me. Whatever it was, it had to do with the boys and the school. It felt like some kind of urban legend.

We finally stopped at my locker; 223. I took out my combination and tried to enter it, but failed. After another try, Alma stepped in. "You need any help?"

"Yeah."

Step by step, she guided me through the process without asking for my code. 2... 3... 4... 9... I finally opened it after the fifth try. Alma smiled, as if congratulating me, but impatience reflected in her brown irises.

"What's your first class?" she asked me.

"Um..." I looked at my phone. "Biology. Room 102."

"That's close by. I'll show you." We started down the hall. After a few awkward beats, she finally spoke again. "Diana- it is Diana, right?"

"Right."

"The office told me the Fields requested a tour for you."

"Yeah."

"Why them?"

"I'm, uh... staying with them." No use lying now.

She stopped. "What do you mean, 'staying with them'?"

"I... uh... I'm a foster kid."

Alma stared at me, nodding blankly, and continued down the hall. I hurriedly followed, noticing a faster rhythm in her legs. "Why?" I asked.

"Just curious."

As we speed-walked through the halls, they got less and less crowded. Soon there were only a few clusters of students standing around talking.

I noticed a few groups staring at me and whispering. When I met their gazes, they looked away or walked in the opposite direction. I was hoping it was just my imagination, but I had a feeling it was very much real.

Inside the Biology classroom, students sat in desks, two seated in each. There was only one empty desk left, which was at the back.

"I'm not gonna be here after this period, so what's your next class?" Alma asked me.

I checked my phone. "Spanish 1, Room 154."

"That's easy. Go down this hall, make a left, then turn at the stairs- the opposite way. It'll be the third door on your right. Got it?"

"I think so."

"Great. Welcome to Summit High, and good luck." She patted my shoulder and left.

Well, that was... something.

I hesitantly went inside and took the seat on the right. I put my backpack against my seat and laced my fingers together, looking around at the classroom. No one had noticed me yet.

"Uh, excuse me."

I looked up to see a boy standing next to the empty seat I left. He had wavy brown hair and matching brown eyes under thick eyebrows.

Huh. He's cute.

I blinked, realizing I hadn't answered him. "Oh, hi," I said, my cheeks heating slightly.

He looked at his schedule. "This is, um, Biology, right?"

"Mm-hmm." I nodded, looking down.

"Great." He put his black backpack down. "Mind if I sit here?"

"S-sure."

"Thanks." He sat down and stuck his hand out. "I'm Anthony Lowe- my friends call me Tony".

He didn't look at me that way... just like Mildred.

"Diana Watson." I shook his hand.

"I'm actually new here. I just moved here from New York," he said.

"I'm new here, too."

"Nice. I'm not alone," he said, taking off his sport jacket and draping it over his seat.

The final bell rang and the teacher came in. She put her books on her desk and took some chalk, writing her name on the board.

'Mrs. Sylvia Howard'.

While she organized her things, a voice started speaking through the intercom.

"Good morning, everyone! Welcome to your first day at R. T. Summit High School. For those of you who don't know me, my name is Principal Imelda Blake. It's a pleasure to have you all with us. I'd like to make a few announcements before you start your first class. Our new Vice Principal this year is Janet Lissing. And I'd like to welcome two new teachers to our staff. Welcome, Tanya Sills, our 12th Grade Government and Social Studies professor; and York Steinfeld, our Music Theory professor.

"And a gentle reminder to all students that today's schedule will be your regular Monday schedule. Starting next week, you'll have a different schedule for Tuesday."

"That's weird," Tony commented.

"Welcome back again, and have a great first day!" The microphone squeaked a little before going silent.

"Good morning, everyone," the teacher said. "For those of you who don't know me, I'm Mrs. Howard, your Biology teacher. Now, who's new this year?"

I raised mine along with Tony and another girl.

"Three new students. Welcome! Now, to get to know all of you, I've prepared a few icebreakers."

A few groans erupted.

"Aw, come on! It's better than doing homework right off the bat, right?" She picked up a pile of papers. "Now, everyone move your desks to the side so we can have a nice, open space."

Everyone stood and moved their bags and desks against the wall. The room was noisy with squeaks and metallic scrapes on the floor, coupled with murmurs from everyone.

"Okay, here, I've got some bingo charts with different attributes on them." Mrs. Howard held up one of the papers to show us. "All of you will go around the room and find other students that have these attributes. When you do, they have to write their initials in the square. Only one student each. First five students to complete their chart get a prize!"

"Yay, breath mints!" Tony said under his breath. I snickered.

"Everyone grab a sheet!" She put the pile on the desk. Everyone came forward and grabbed one. Tony took two and handed one to me.

"Thanks." I wrote my name at the top.

There were 9 squares, all of them different; 'is an only child', 'has siblings', 'is allergic to nuts', 'likes to read'.

"I like to read," I said.

"I have siblings. Well, one." He handed me his chart.

I gave him mine. "Younger?"

"Yeah, younger sister. Addie. She's Deaf."

"Wow, really?" I wrote D.W. in the 'Likes to read' square. "I've never met anyone Deaf."

"Yeah, she was born Deaf." We switched back. The 'siblings' square now had T. L. written inside. "Do you have any siblings?" he asked.

"Uh..." I hesitated. "No. Only child."

"Too bad you can't initial two." He pointed at the 'only child' square, shrugging. Someone behind him tapped his shoulder, diverting his attention.

I looked around at everyone else. I wasn't sure who else to talk to. It took me immense amounts of courage to talk to Mildred and Tony, and both of them had approached me.

Someone tapped on my shoulder and I turned, smiling. "Hi," I said.

The girl was smiling, but it instantly faded.

Oh, God. My smile must've looked horrible. I cleared my throat and tried to calm myself. "You, uh... want to... switch charts?" I held up mine.

She continued staring at me, pale as a ghost. I blinked in confusion, my heart tripping over its beats.

"Are you alright?" I asked her.

She gulped, stepping back. "Uh... yeah. Yeah. I'll just, uh..." She turned, leaving me.

What happened? Did I scare her that much?

As I looked around at everyone else, I noticed eyes on me. People were whispering and staring at me, pausing from the game.

They were looking at me. So many people... looking at me.

I tried to calm my heart rate as I clutched my bingo chart. What were they looking at? Was it my clothes? My hair? Did I not have enough makeup on? It was enough to cover up the old cuts, I was sure. The swelling had long since gone down weeks ago.

There was something wrong with me. Everyone gave me that look. Everyone stared at me, and I didn't know why.

Too much staring. It was too... much... staring.

My breath suddenly quickened as my heart skipped a beat. My palms turned clammy.

Oh, no. It was happening again. I couldn't do this right now. Not now.

I went to my desk against the wall and sat down with shaky knees. My vision darkened at the edges. Everything seemed to ripple around me.

Oh, God, not now. Please, not now. Please...

My vision momentarily blurred as my head spun. My stomach felt like it was going to burst.

A hand touched my shoulder. "Sweetie, are you-"

I gasped, jumping. My gaze met the teacher's. She was looking at me with concern. Her eyes widened and she reared back. Panting, I gathered my bearings, noticing the whole class staring at me.

This did not help.

"Diana, you okay?" Tony approached me, his brows furrowed. He was the only one that didn't stare. The girl beside him looked confused, lacking that 'look' in her eyes.

I shook my head, gulping. My mouth was completely dry.

"Do you need to go to the nurse?"

I glanced at the teacher, whose mouth was hanging open. I shook my head again, unable to speak.

Tony looked at her. "Mrs. Howard?"

She blinked, regaining her composure. "I'm sorry. I... are you alright, miss? What's your name?"

I glanced at everyone else nervously, choking out a response. "D-Diana. Watson."

"Diana..." She nodded. "I'm sorry, I didn't... are you alright?"

"Um... yeah."

"Are you sure?" Tony asked.

"Yeah. Yeah. I'm fine." I looked down, unable to bear the weight of everyone's gazes on me. I stared at my hands clenched together.

"A-alright, everyone. Time's up!" Mrs. Howard clapped her hands. "Let's all take our seats again. Return the desks to where they were, please."

I blocked out the sounds of chairs and tables scraping together, concentrating on my hands. I could sense Tony next to me. "You sure you're good? You're all pale."

"I'm fine." I nodded hastily, trying a smile. I shakily stood and tried moving the desk, but all the strength had left my limbs. They felt like jelly.

"I can move this. Just... sit down." Tony gently nudged me to sit again as he dragged the desk away.

That was the perfect way to start off the first day.

I shouldn't have come. I shouldn't have done this. But I wouldn't dare prove the boys right.

Thoughts on Tony? How do you think Diana will handle high school?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

973K 31.1K 80
Being alone? Check. Being afraid? Check. Being abused? Check times 3. Honestly, my life wasn't this bad before, not until I ended in foster care... S...
689K 28.6K 36
Diana is looking forward to finally finishing high school. Stay out of trouble. Focus only on art. This is Diana's grand plan - until she is assigned...
438K 6.6K 41
Arianna Hope is a child of a rich family, but doesn't act like it. She spends her free time volunteering, contributing to charities, keeping a perfec...
4.2K 124 37
Last year, Emma Richardson had it all. The perfect family, friends, popularity, looks, and even the perfect boyfriend...or so she thought. In just on...