Valeria Torres and the Blade...

By Rogue705

(Book 2) To protect her loved ones and prevent a Faction War, sixteen year old Valeria Torres orchestrates a... More

Author's Note
Chapter 2: The Valerian Alliance
Chapter 3: Camouflage

Chapter 1: The Bodyguard

631 37 5
By Rogue705

"Okay kiddo. Let's go over it one more time."

Sixteen-year-old Valeria Torres groaned as she looked over at her foster parents – Frank and Jada Pipino – two master thieves who welcomed her into their home. They currently stood in the foyer of the Pipino townhouse, with all three dressed in civilian attire. Valeria exhaled impatiently as she swung her book bag over her shoulder. "Once again," she grumbled, "I'm not sure who's more nervous: me, or you guys."

While Valeria found her new parents' overprotectiveness a little burdensome at times, she secretly loved every second of it. Having been a girl that no one cared about for so long, the notion that she was part of a family again brought newfound meaning to her life, and she would  savor every annoying moment.

"This is important girl," Jada scolded, her face contorting to its trademark frown. "We just want you to be safe. Prove you're ready and then you can go."

Valeria studied the woman across from her with a cautious smile. She wore one of her trademark flower print dresses, with sleek hair pulled back into a bun. She pushed the glasses up the bridge of her nose, her dark eyes focused on Valeria with both intensity and concern. While most people would look at Jada Pipino – also known as Janelle Malone – as a polite, prim and proper eighth grade teacher, Valeria knew there was more to her than what met the eye.

Jada was the Sovereign ruler of a worldwide criminal network that conducted illegal activity and balanced the scales of financial opportunity. Valeria felt a mixture of emotions every time the two of them locked eyes. Jada had manipulated her since their first meeting, and the wound from that betrayal was still fresh, dehisced, and raw. But wounds were nothing new for Valeria; she knew how to mask the scars. "Alright," Valeria said, her lips pursing into a fake smile. "I go in the car with Viktor every morning from now on. He'll drop me off in front of the school, and I'm not allowed to leave school grounds without him. He'll take me home after school, and I do whatever he says, no matter what."

Frank patted her shoulder gently. "This is for your own safety, kiddo. Jada and I have enough on our plate, so we can't carpool anymore. But don't worry, Viktor is one of the few Assassins I have any respect for, and he will make sure to keep you safe. Even still, I hope you remember what I taught you about getting into cars?"

Valeria looked over at her new father figure with a smile. Despite only knowing him a few months, their relationship didn't feel new, forced, or untenable. Of course, it helped that he was kind, easy to handle, and fun to be around. But most importantly, Frank didn't want to manipulate her like a pawn on a chessboard. He saw her as a human being; a second chance at fatherhood. She had learned that Frank and Jada lost their teenage daughter to leukemia, and while Frank told Valeria she would never replace Bianca, here he was, acting like an overprotective father. "Always sit up front," she said with a smile, "Where I can see the driver's hands."

"That's right, kiddo," Frank replied, his lips pulling back into a smug grin.

With her hand extended, Valeria added, "I also remember you saying I should be armed before getting into a stranger's car."

"You're still not ready for a weapon yet," Frank said, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Besides, I'm pretty sure if they found a knife or firearm on you in the school – you'd get expelled."

"So what?" Valeria protested, hands defiantly on her hips, "I'd rather be expelled – that's better than being murdered by a Shadow Knight."

Valeria shuddered upon remembering the shadowy figure she and Jada encountered within the Midas Vault – a secret cavern within the Rogue Faction – a few months ago. After surviving that encounter, Jada had explained that a Shadow Knight was essentially a lone wolf; an evil figure who corralled the powers of shadow and darkness to pursue their own malicious agenda. While all three of them still had no idea who the Shadow Knight was, or what their main objective was, Valeria learned that Shadow Knights traditionally fed of chaos, death, and destruction. Hence the need for extra security, she thought to herself.

Upon mentioning the Shadow Knight, both Frank and Jada exhaled impatiently. "We're not even sure he's still alive," Frank said, rolling his eyes.

"Even if he is," Jada added, "I would be less worried about him going after you. If anything, I'm more worried about the Tyrell protégé. I'm not surprised they hid her away."

I was worried about the same exact thing, Valeria thought to herself. I understand why she had to go into hiding, but I still miss her.

Valeria had not only discovered the Rogue Faction over the past few months. She had learned about a rival Faction known as the Celestials – a spiritual group of righteous healers – and developed a bond with their leader's daughter. While Erin Tyrell looked nothing like her on the outside, Valeria learned that she and this girl had several things in common, including losing their parents at a young age, and leading lives of relative solitude. And yet, while Valeria was left alone as the girl no one cared about; Erin was the opposite. The Tyrells' and the Celestials had proclaimed her as some sort of Chosen Savior and kept her secluded for the sake of protection.

Three months ago, Valeria and Erin had joined forces and traveled inside the Midas Vault to secure a mysterious artifact. Their attempt failed when the Shadow Knight revealed itself at the last minute. Having already obtained a different artifact, the Shadow Knight used his to steal the Rogue Faction's Artifact from Jada. He would have easily killed them all, but Erin Tyrell's Celestial spell saved them by possibly killing the creature outright, crushing it with a cave in, or at the very least, scaring it away.

"I'm worried about Erin too," Valeria said, clenching her sweaty palms. "I haven't seen her for months." Saying she was worried was an understatement. She was terrified, but for more than one reason. Erin had found away past her guarded exterior, awakening all different types of new emotions. But Valeria wasn't just worried about Erin's safety – she worried that Erin would forget her and abandon their bond. Sighing, she said, "you're sure she'll be safe, locked away in their headquarters?"

"If you think we're being overprotective," Jada said with a nervous laugh, "It's nothing compared to the Celestial Faction. I seriously doubt you'll see Erin in school today. In fact, you may never see her again."

Valeria stared at Jada with wide eyes. "Never?! They can't do that to her! To us!"

Frank sighed as he placed a hand on her shoulder. "I know you and that Celestial girl have become close friends. Did you try calling her again?"

Exhaling, Valeria replied with, "it always goes straight to voicemail. It's almost like she's forgotten about me." Her breath hitched, as the thought of losing Erin left her feeling hallow. But if Erin had decided to abandon her, there was another more than willing to take her place. In some ways, this boy already had taken her place.

"Guess I'm not too surprised," Frank said, disrupting her thoughts. He continued his lecture with narrowed eyes. "I told you not to trust Celestials," he said to Valeria, before turning to Jada. "Both of you."

Valeria looked over at Jada, who crossed her arms against her chest. She remembered their conversation a few months ago – after they exited the Midas Vault – where Jada confessed that she had been close with the Celestial leader – Lawrence Tyrell – since they were children and had secretly kept a back channel open throughout the years. It doesn't look like that's the only thing they've kept secret all these years, Valeria thought to herself.

"We'll see if Elmyra can stay true to her word," Jada said. "Either way, that's not something we can control. Do you know the serenity prayer girl?"

Valeria shrugged. She had heard this prayer recited during groups session at the juvenile detention center – but didn't remember many details. Sitting in those group therapy sessions, she had other, darker thoughts consuming her mind. Horrible memories that lingered beneath the surface, eating away at her core. But that time had passed – the dark cloud had dispersed. This was a different world, and she was a different person now. No one – not even Jada – would change that.

"Prometheus," Jada said, closing her eyes. "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

"Amen," Frank said, looking over at Valeria with a pointed look. She hadn't known him long, bt was already getting good at deciphering his facial expressions. This one hinted at reciprocity.

"Amen," Valeria added. She knew Rogues in her Faction revered Prometheus as much as other religious figures, with Frank declaring him, 'the original Robin Hood.' And while Jada might have been keeping up a Rogue tradition, Valeria knew there was a deeper reason behind her decision to substitute Prometheus instead of Jesus or God. Despite making them attend church every Sunday, Jada had confessed that she blamed God – and herself – for possibly cursing her daughter Bianca with leukemia and an untimely death. Even if the artifact Jada used was cursed, Valeria thought to herself, she didn't intend to sacrifice Bianca, and shouldn't blame God, herself, or anyone else for that. But she did intend to use me, and I still haven't forgiven her.

Of course, Valeria had tried to discuss their conflict over the past few months, but Jada had remained distant, cold, and calculated. They had mutual respect for now, but Valeria craved more. She wanted to embrace her new maternal figure and clung to the hope that Jada might see her as a daughter someday. But that day wasn't today. "Alright," she said, approaching Frank and embracing him with a hug. "I'm off to school." She remained within his embrace a moment, unwilling to let go.

"Stay safe...okay?" he said, refused to let go.

"Alright you two," Jada said, exhaling impatiently. "She's going to be late for school. Viktor's parked outside and coming to the door, so we'll introduce you."

Valeria released Frank and waited as Jada opened the door. A gangly young man stood at their doorway, a broad grin across his face. Shoulder length brown hair caressed his pale face, and he brushed it aside, revealing a single diamond stud earring in his right ear. He reminds me of a younger version of Loki in the Avengers movies, Valeria thought to herself. She was obsessed with Marvel movies and had binged watched them repeatedly on her laptop over the past few months.

"Ah, there you are Mr. Frank!" the young man said with a thick Russian accent. "It's been too long, comrade."

With eyes gleaming, Frank embraced him with a hug. "It has, Viktor. I'm assuming Dontrell briefed you about our situation."

The young man released him and tried to hug Jada next. She sidestepped his approach and stared daggers at him, arms crossed against her chest. While some might have been offended by Jada's abrupt refusal of social graces, Viktor didn't seem to mind as he clutched his belly and laughed.

"Ah Mrs. Jada...err Sovereign. I forget you don't like the hugs. That's okay, that's okay, and eh–yes, Mr. Dontrell explain situation."

With eyes narrowed, Valeria studied her new bodyguard and felt an overwhelming sense of concern and disbelief. Erin's bodyguards looked like secret service agents; broad shouldered men in suits armed with guns and earpieces connected to radios. She didn't expect the same level of protection – she wasn't a righteous savior like Erin. She had never been offered VIP services before, and while her expectations were low, she had expected more than this. "Seriously? This is the guy that's supposed to protect me?"

Viktor turned toward her with a lopsided grin. "Not what you were expecting, eh? You want Ivan Drago," he said with a laugh. "Sorry to disappoint."

"Ivan who?"

Laughing, Frank said, "the massive stone-faced Russian villain from Rocky IV. No, Viktor is not like that at all, but...he is still one of the best Assassins and bodyguards in the whole faction."

"Please," Viktor said, his grin fading, "I am Assassin no more. I am just personal bodyguard, yes?"

"Whatever, Viktor," Jada said, rolling her eyes. "You have our phone numbers, right?"

Viktor waved her off as he approached Valeria. "Yes...yes, you must be the special Valeria, yes? Heard so much. Give Viktor hug!"

Valeria didn't have time to react as he enveloped her in a bear hug. "Uh...nice to meet you."

"Likewise, likewise," Viktor said, releasing her. "Come on, come on," he said, motioning toward the door. "I'm good driver, you see."

As he exited the doorway, Valeria turned to Frank and pouted. "I feel so much safer now. You guys really went out of your way to protect me –"

"Quit whining," Jada interrupted, her voice curt and impatient. "Viktor is weird, but he's also a professional. Frank and I trust him, and he will keep you safe."

"Try to focus on school, kiddo." Frank added. "We'll see you when you get home."

Slinging her backpack over her shoulder, Valeria stepped outside and approached Viktor, who stood by his red car. She eyed the old and rundown vehicle with furrowed brows as she approached. She didn't know much about cars, but guessed it was an old Volkswagen Beetle. With both hands on her hips, she exhaled and sent a strand of her black hair upward. She didn't want to be mean, but there was no denying her frustration. This was not what she expected.

Viktor opened the passenger door and motioned for her to enter. "I know, I know. Don't look like James Bond car, but gets job done. You see."

Valeria exhaled before entering and sitting in the passenger seat. Viktor closed her door and rushed around to the front, hopping into the driver's seat with clumsy eagerness. "Ready to go, yes?"

Valeria nodded, failing to find the right words. She tried to remain pleasant on the surface, despite conflicting emotions underneath. When Frank and Jada had announced their intention to provide her with a bodyguard, she had refused. She didn't like the idea of some stranger – some man – to suddenly follow her every move. She valued her privacy, of course, but there was more to it than that. She had learned from an early age to be skeptical of men – especially those claiming to offer their protection. Could she trust this young man with her life? Why should she? Her thoughts were interrupted as the car engine revved a few times without starting.

"No...no...no, no problem you see."

Valeria watched as he frantically fidgeted with the car's ignition, trying all sorts of techniques to get the car to start. Beads of sweat pooled around his brow, his cheeks flushed red, and he quietly cursed to himself in a foreign language – which she assumed was Russian. Sitting there, Valeria felt her muscles relax. Her rigid posture loosened. Sure, it was annoying being stuck in a piece of shit car that refused to start. But she wasn't angry, and neither was Viktor. Studying his posture, she realized he was anxious. But anxious about what? She was about to say something but stopped when the engine ignited.

"Yes! See, this car is good," he said, wiping away beads of sweat. "Strong like bull. Shall we go?"

Valeria held back a laugh and pointed forward. "Yeah, let's go." As they started driving, Viktor turned toward her with a toothy grin. "Which music you want?"

Slouching in her seat, Valeria looked out the window. "Whatever you want."

Viktor fidgeted with the radio dial until a familiar song began playing. "Ooh, I love the Mariah Carey! She is good, no?"

With an eyebrow cocked, she turned toward Viktor as the infamous, "Always be my Baby," song played from the stereo. "Okay," she said, trying her best to remain serious, "how did someone like you become an Assassin?"

"Well," Viktor said, his grin fading as he focused on the road ahead. "Mr. Dontrell made similar offer when I your age. My parents killed by Chechen terrorists years ago. Unlike you," he continued, his voice sullen, "I choose vengeance. Once I kill those responsible, I tell Mr. Dontrell – Viktor no kill anymore."

Valeria looked up with surprise; his parents were murdered, just like hers. A few months ago, she had been presented with a similar decision at the accommodation ceremony. At the time, she wasn't aware that Assassins were allowed to walk away from assassinations. Part of her wondered if it was too late to change her decision. "And Dontrell just let you walk away?"

Viktor nodded. "Kind of. In Assassin guild, those who no assassinate, use skills to protect VIPs and kill anyone threaten them. So now, I only kill to protect."

"How many people have you killed?"

"Too many."

Valeria paused, letting his words sink in for a moment. She had been wary since they met, but just like her suspicion of Frank months ago – her suspicion of Viktor was lessening. His responses were genuine, and it was refreshing to hear an Assassin state that he had taken too many lives. It helped that his face and tone reflected remorse. And while Valeria had no intention of becoming an Assassin, learning from one might prove beneficial.

"Can you teach me?" Valeria asked, her voice low and cautious, "teach me some of your skills?"

Viktor looked over at her with another lopsided grin. "Of course. Mr. Frank no tell you? I will teach you Thursday now. Heard about Brigitte – never liked that woman."

Valeria sucked in a deep breath, slowly recalling her encounters with Brigitte the Assassin. The woman had hit her with a car, kidnapped one of her friends, and was revealed to be a traitor working for the Shadow Knight. Last she'd heard, Brigitte was still locked up in Coterel and being interrogated daily – but had not said a word.

"Me," Viktor continued, his eyes gleaming, "I am truly honored protect and instruct you. You is Faction's most important special person, and I pledge my life to you."

Valeria looked over at him, eyes narrowed. "What?! You don't even know me. If this is some kinda seduction routine you're running – it's not working."

"Seduction?" Viktor asked, pinching the bridge of his nose. "What dis mean? My English still not very –"

"It means you're not getting in my pants," Valeria interrupted.

Viktor's eyes bulged and he clutched his side. He released a deep laugh, one filled with mirth and disbelief. "You are spunky, no? No lying in you – I like dis. But don't worry, Protégé. You're not my type. Too young...and too female."

With an eyebrow cocked, it took Valeria a moment to decipher his statement. A light bulb eventually went off in her brain, forcing her to relax. "So you're..."

"Yes," Viktor said, chuckling under his breath as he focused on the road. "So you don't worry about that. You should worry if Viktor strong enough to protect." Sighing, his face flushed bright red again, his eyes cast downward. "Other say Viktor unworthy of guarding important Protégé. Maybe they right, but I try my best. Mr. Frank tell me how important and special Valeria is. Viktor knows you key to future... and will die to protect."

There it was again. Another person calling her special. Frank, Jada, and Erin had all told Valeria this, and yet, she still had no idea what that meant. "Why am I special? What did he tell you?!" He didn't reply, his gaze focused on parking the car beside the school entrance.

"I cannot say," Viktor said, his fingers tapping the steering wheel with frenetic nervous energy. "I already say too much." He pointed toward the school. "Off you go. Other Rogues already set traps around school grounds to stop Shadow Knight. I also patrol grounds and give you my number. Call me any problems, yes?"

Valeria frowned as she removed her phone and entered Viktor's cellphone number. She didn't want this conversation to end. There was so much more she needed to know. She had tried to press Frank and Jada about this topic, but they had refused to give up the goods. But if they wouldn't acquiesce, maybe her new bodyguard would. "Please, Viktor. I'm begging you. As my bodyguard, please tell me."

"As your bodyguard" Viktor replied with a toothy grin, his posture reflecting more confidence, "I protect you silently. So...go. Go to school, fill brain with knowledge. I be here when done, yes?"

"Okay," Valeria replied with a groan, her displeasure evident. "Thanks for nothing," she huffed, exiting the car and slamming the door. She wanted to storm off and leave him trembling in her wake. She was tired of people withholding information from her, claiming it was for her own good. She could have left it at that – but didn't. Not long ago, someone had told her to put compassion before ego. It was an exhausting mantra, but it came back to her here in this moment. Exhaling, she turned and leaned over the passenger window. "I'm sorry, Viktor. I was just frustrated. Thanks for watching out for me. I hope I'm worth guarding."

Viktor looked up at her, his blue eyes twinkling as his grin extended from ear to ear. "From what I see, you is very special and lovely girl. I am honored to protect. Go now. Stay out trouble, yes?"

Waving, Valeria nodded without saying a word. The old car's exhaust released a shotgun like blast and sputtered thick black smoke everywhere. As the car sputtered away, Valeria shook her head with disbelief and couldn't help but wonder, once again, what kind of crazy world did I get myself into?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

393 11 8
Zillael. A large country in the mountains, that was boasted of holy, righteous glory and best known for its pure clean lands, fresh crisp air, b...
535 81 12
Our female lead Norah had a horrible life, she was abused and abandoned at a young age. She was never loved by those who was to be her family (except...
301K 11.2K 31
Lucy Mathews didn't quite know what she was getting into when she agreed to be the personal assistant of Mateo D'Amico. Surly she didn't think she'd...