Covid Can't stop us: A Jay Ha...

By tvshowgirl4

BooK THREEEE!!: Emma, Jay, Nick, and Masie, face on the world, this pandemic, and the social and political ch... More

Season 8 Episode 2 "White Knuckles"
New chapters coming soon
Season 8 Episode 3 "Tender Age"
Season 8 episode 4 'Unforgiven'
Season 8 Episode 5 'In Your Care'
Season 8 Episode 6 'Equal Justice'
Season 8 Episode 7 'Instinct'
Season 8 Episode 8 'Protect and Serve'
UPDATE ON THIS BOOK
Season 8 Episode 16 'The other side' SEASON FINALE

Season Eight Episode One "Fighting Ghosts"

1.3K 13 0
By tvshowgirl4

"Okay, Nick is online, Maisie is asleep, milk and food are in the fridge." Emma said as she walked around the house checking things off on her fingers. Jay sighed and checked his watch, holding both their coats and bags. 

"Baby, we gotta go." 

"Shhhh!" Emma put her finger up, David Rossi walked into the kitchen and put his hands on her shoulders. 

"I've got it all covered, now please go to work." 

"Okay." Emma said walking over to Jay, he handed Emma her coat. "Oh wait, baby's toys-"

"In the play pen." Jay and David said. 

"Wow, Okay." Emma put on her mask and Jay opened the door. 

"I feel like I'm forgetting something."

"You are." Jay said.

"Really! What?"

"The fact that We had to be at work fifteen minuets ago. Let's go." Jay said pushing her out the door.

"Bye! Don't drop the baby!" Emma called into the house.

''''''''''''''''''''''''

"She's fine." Jay said as they sat in the bullpen, Emma nodded and rubbed her hands together. 

"I know she's fine, it's me who's not fine. Maisie is fine she can take care of herself."

"She's six months old."

"Do you want me to slap you?" Kim came out from the back.

"Turn on your computers, Deputy Sup is giving a speech." Emma and Jay stood up as she put the news on her computer. Kevin and Adam came up the stairs at the same time.

"Hey, Deputy sup is giving a speech." Jay said to them.

"You mean apology, she's basically telling us we're a bunch of unenlightened idiots." Emma said.

"I wouldn't go that far babe-umEmma. She's just telling us what we already know. Police have to do a better job at deescalating." Jay said,

"Sure, but she doesn't have to be so disrespectful, we're all trying our best."

"Not good enough Emma. It isn't. CPD did not killed Gorge Floyd, (It's Me: So sad still upset. Black Lives Matter and Police do need to learn how to deescalate. Sorry, back to your story!) but we sure as hell did kill Sean Page. So maybe we need to reserve our judgment, and listen to what the sister has to say." Kevin said.

"Yeah, I'm not."

"Em." Jay said waving his hand, she sighed and looked back at the screen.

''''''''''''''''''''''

Jay and Emma walked with the ambulance crew as they escorted a little girl on a gurney into an ambulance.

"Hang in there, you're going to be okay." Emma said to her.

"We were walking back from the market, I heard two loud pops, sat Lara bleeding on the ground." Her father said.

"Okay, did you see the shooter?" Jay asked.

"No."

"Did you see anything suspicious?"

"No, I need to be with my little girl right now." 

"Of course." Emma said as the father and daughter got into the ambulance, Voight came  around the other side. 

"What do we know?" he asked.

"Not much, Jay and I heard a shots fired call over the radio, we rushed to the scene. Little girl was bleeding out when we got here." Emma said as they met up with the unit.

"She got shot in the stomach, good news is the ambo got here quick."

"What happened? Robbery, drive by?" Kim asked.

"We don't know, uh. She was walking with her parents, unfortunately no one saw anything. They heard two loud pops, next thing they knew their daughter was on the ground bleeding out." Jay said.

"Stray Bullet." Adam said.

"Sounds like it." 

"Alright, start canvassing, get Rocky on pod footage, anything we can use, Security cameras, find someone who saw something." Voight said, they all nodded and split up.

'''''''''''''''

"I hope Kev didn't think that I-" Emma started as they walked the neighborhood. "I was bitchin about the Deputy Supe's speech, not at all was I trying to minimize what happened to Sean Page." 

"I think he knows that babe, but you gotta remember, he's going through so much right now, he was probably venting. I wouldn't worry about it." Jay said.

"Okay." Emma said as they walked up to a short and stout African American man that was leaning against a fence,

"Sir do you live around here?" Jay asked him. He nodded. "Did you see anything unusual. Anyone with a gun, arguing? Anything like that." Jay asked. 

"No."

"Hear any gunshots?" Emma asked.

"No."

"How long have you been out here?" 

"Bout an hour."

"You've been out here an hour and you didn't hear two gun shots that hit a little girl right over there two minuets ago?" Emma asked.

"I already told you no." He said forcefully.

"Look we are just trying to get some information."

"and I Ain't got any. So get the hell outta my face bitch." 

"What did you just say to me?" Jay asked staring him down.

"Jay come on." Emma said grabbing his wrist and walking away. Jay turned around and started to walk away:

"Yeah, you racist ass cops ani't welcome round here no more." Jay stoped, pressed his lips together, then kept going. 

'''''''''''''''

"What do we know?" Voight asked as everyone gathered back in the bullpen.

"Nothing much, no shot splatter, no shell casing, no witnesses." Kim said.

"None that where willing to cooperate anyway." Adam finished. 

"Just talked too Will."  Jay said putting his phone down. "Lara Diaz, the girl, she's in critical condition, but doctor's removed the bullet. It's a 9mm, with Balstics right now."

"Okay, I'm not sure if it's related." Rocky said coming up the stairs with Emma. "Buttt, Lara's father was arrested for possession three years ago. I looked at his file, he's also got some gang cards, it looks like he runs, or ran, with the Latin Players." Rocky said.

"Maybe we where wrong and it wasn't a stray after all." Jay said.

"Kev, let's go." Voight said, he and Kevin headed out. Emma got out her phone and started typing.

"What are you doing?" Jay asked.

"I set up baby cameras all over the house to make sure Maisie was okay. Just a precaution." Emma said turning her phone, she sighed in relief as she saw David rock Maisie in his arms pacing her room back and fourth.

"I'm so glad when he retired he moved in down the street and offered to watch them all the time. I also feel bad. Doesn't your grandpa have a life." Jay asked.

"He does, but he always put's family first." Emma said putting her phone away.

"Sounds like someone else I know." Jay smiled at Emma and she smiled back. 

'''''''''''''''

"So I-" Rocky cleared his throat. He, Jay, Emma, and Kim gather around Jay's desk. "Rocky, found a security camera. It caught our masked offender running down an ally. An unknown male chasing after him, confronts him, they fight. Our offender draws a weapon, fires two rounds, guessing that's our nine mill. Misses his intended target."

"And it hit's Lara Diaz a block away." Emma sighed.

"Question is, where did the offender come from, who did he rob?" Kim asked.

"That's why I'm still here." Rocky said handing Kim a picture."I enhanced it, see that white cross on the building. That cross stands for Jesus, god, our lord and savior. So, he robed a church. St. Angelas Church, to be exact." Rocky said, Jay and Emma got on their coats and masks.

"I love you." Emma said.

"I'm aware."

''''''''''''''''

Jay and Emma walked up some old wood stairs into an old church, it was dreary and empty, the only light coming from the stained glass windows. 

"Hello! Chicago PD! Anyone here!" Jay yelled.

"I don't like church, it makes me feel dirty." Emma whispered.

"At least you haven't burst into flames yet." Jay responded.

"Yet, being the key word." They continued to walk through the church: "Hello!" Emma called. They walked down some stairs into the lower level. Kids toys, and a few doors where all that was down there. Emma walked over to one and pushed it open. A man was laying on the floor tied up with tape over his mouth.

"Jay!" She shouted walking in quickly and putting her mask up. She touched the man's neck to feel for a pulse and he gasped.

"It's alright, we're the police." She said ripping the tape off his mouth.

"Do you need medical help? Want me to call an ambulance?" Jay asked, he handed Emma his knife for the tape.

"No."The man said.

"Are you sure." Jay asked.

"I'm okay." He said, Jay and Emma helped him to his feet.

"I'm okay, I'm okay." He said shakily brushing them off and walking towards his desk.

"Wanna tell us what happened?" Jay asked.

"Hold on, I need a drink." He said.

"They can do that?" Emma whispered to Jay.

"I don't know." Jay mumbled.

"That's the last time I stash money from a drug dealer, that's for damn sure." The man said taking a swig of something. Emma raised her eyebrows and nodded.  "I'm not proud of taking dirty cash, but I won't apologize for it either. I did what I had to do to keep this place open. To give people a safe place to come."

"yeah, we are not here to judge, or absolve. We just wanna know what happened." Emma said.

"I was in here doing paperwork, I look up see a guy in a mask. He was pointing a gun at me telling me to open the safe. So I did what he said, gave him the money, ran out. But then I realized the dealer would think I was involved. SO I ran after him, chased him down. I tackled him, he tried to shoot me. Anyway, he ran away and drove off." The guy said.

"Than why do you look like hell if he drove off?" Emma asked.

"I called the dealer, told him what happened. Next thing I know he's in my office punching me, calling me a thief."

"Alright, what's the dealers name?" Jay asked, the man looked away.

"Hey, a little girl got shot and there's a good chance she's not going to make it because your hiding drug money in a church. So you better start talking, now." Emma said.

''''''''''''''''''''''

Voight talks to a guy named Carlos who knew about the drug money.

''''''''''''''''

"Did we get a hit on that black car?" Voight asked coming up the steps into the bullpen.

"Yep, Rocky did. he pulled a video from a traffic cam two blocks south of the church." Adam said.

"Run the plate." Voight said.

"Already did, it belongs to a 2004 grand Cherokee. It's registered to a 29 year old hispanic female named Anna Salgado. She lives at 6438 South Harmen, she has a sheet boss." Adam said.

"Pinched for a drug misdemeanor. But, she has a brother doing three years for a felony, and she has a daughter, seven years old. Guess who the father is." Emma said handing him a file.

"I'll tell you, It's Carlos, the banger who is hiding his stash at the church." Jay said.

"Good work Rocky." Voight said sincerely, he turned back to Emma. "Bring her in." Before heading into his office. Rocky smiled and snapped his fingers.

"I got a good work."

"Yes you did buddy." Emma said, Rocky nodded proudly before gong back downstairs.

''''''''''''''''''

Voight and Adam interrogate her, she lawyers up, Adam and Kevin do surveillance, get into fight, apologize, Kevin goes home is stopped by cops because some had landed drugs on him but luckily he and Adam found them. Kevin and Voight have intense conversation.

''''''''''''''''''''

"Miguel Corteze, he's a career punk. He's got five priors, two armed robberies, two ag bats, one attempted murder, and six or seven drug charges." Jay said to Voight handing him a file. 

"Sounds like a guy Emma dated in high school." Voight said, the whole unit looked at Emma and she laughed.

"Ohhh yeah, I wonder how Montey's doing." She said. 

"Emma, pull up the surveillance video please." She nodded and typed into her computer. 

"Okay, is that Miguel?" Voight asked.

"I mean I don't know. He's in a mask. But same height, same build. It's not clear."

"I mean come on though, we all know it's him. It makes perfect sense." Kim said. "He's dating Anna, she starts complaining about not getting child support, she get's fed up, tell's Miguel where the dope money's stashed." Kim said.

"Yeah, he grabs a gun and a mask, heads over to the church. Commits the easiest robbery of his life." Jay said.

"Yep." Kim said. 

"I've got good news, after we pulled Miguel I had Rocky get video of his last address." Adam put a tablet down on the desk and pressed play. "That's him. Entering his house forty five minuets after the robbery and shooting."

"Same pants and shoes and the same bag." Kevin said. 

"Get a warrant let's scoop his ass up." Voight said. 

'''''''''''''''''''

Because Voight kicked down the door without aouncing his arrest, the States attorneys deemed the evidence inadmissible, so bassicly they have to throw away the whole case. 

'''''''''''''''

"Right or wrong there's nothing we can do." Voight said. "All the evidence has been tossed."

"I'm sorry guys, I saw the blinds move and I just reacted."

"No! Adam listen to me, you did nothing wrong. The thing is that no one has the  guts to stand up for police right now. Not the mayor, not the ivory tower, no one. Get used to it." Everyone sat there in silence. "Okay, so the only real evidence we have is Miguel entering his house carrying the bag."

"Same bag he used when he shot the priest." Emma said.

"Yeah, I get it. But try proving it's the same bag. Black bag is a black bag. We're starting over. Go all the way from the beginning a whole new case. Find new witnesses, more sirvalence, Let's go."

'''''''''

Things get intense, little girl dies, Voight says put the dude in the cage, Adam says no, Kevin get's defensive, Voight screams him out. 

''''''''''''''

"So how was it?" David asked Emma, they sat in her living room as Jay put the kids to bed. 

"No ending I guess, I don't know anymore." Emma sighed, David nodded.

"That will have to do for now, until things get back to normal, or new normal." David said, Emma shook her head.

"At this point I don't even know what Normal means. What am I supposed to do Grandpa, just let this one go?"

"Yeah Emma, that's exactly what you do. You take a deep breath, and let it go.Just Like I had to, just like Jay has to, just like everyone else has to." 

"But that doesn't work for me."

"Well that's too bad. Because that's how it is now. I don't care if you like it, and I don't care if you don't like it. Suck it up and move on." David said, Emma nodded. Jay came back into the living room and sat on the top of the couch.

"They are down and out." David got up.

"That's my queue. Honey I'll see you tomorrow. Get some rest, Jay... have a good night." David said giving Emma a hug before leaving. Jay took Davids place and Emma leaned on his chest.

"Do you think things will ever be normal again?" Emma asked, Jay sighed.

"I don't know. But I think you gotta start adjusting to the fact that they are not going to be normal, for a long time." Jay said stroking her hair.

"Yeah, I agree. But you know I hate change. I mean I love this change, it's good change. But like announcing our presence."

"Shhhh." Jay said, Emma rolled her eyes.

"Don't 'shhhh' me."

"Just let it go." 

"Fine." Emma sighed getting up Jay wrapped her in a tight hug.

''''''''''''''

So Happy to be back. Hopefully episode two and three will be out soon, Definitely before next Friday! Love you all! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 518 21
After everything Jay and Riley have gone through, will the war be the one thing to take away their safe place? They thought they had it all figured o...
97.9K 1.1K 45
Hailey and Jay had been married a month and were settling into that life well. There were still a few bumps they experienced as they grew accustomed...
24.4K 384 38
story about a normal girl (lyla) who works as a firefighter/EMT and a boy(jay) who is a detective. Both have a scared past and hardly believe in love...
39.9K 913 23
"This baby. You.. This is what I want." He muttered with his head in his hands. She looked at him. "Oh you mean the baby who shouldn't exist and the...