The Dark Days: A tale of murd...

By LightningMcQueen6

Set in the same universe as the main book "The Dark Days", this book will depict two seperate tales that star... More

Prologue

The Floridian resort

3 0 1
By LightningMcQueen6

 Before the chapter starts, i want to say that whenever italics appear in the book, it means that the character is thinking to himself. I did to show the thought process of the characters. Anyways enjoy!

-----

Jason's pov:

  "Cut it out man!" Larry laughed, smacking away the bottle that Leon kept using to splash water on to him.

  "You cut it out" Leon smirked, as he turned to pick up the discarded bottle. "Have some respect for other's property."

  "Maybe i would if said property wasn't being used to annoy the hell out of me!" Larry responded wittily, turning towards his other friend, me.

  "Jason, please tell him to cut it out!" Larry pleaded, as we walked out of the narrow alleyway and on to the Floridian streets.

"Leon stop splashing Larry with water" i said, smiling a bit and rolling my eyes.

Geez those two idiots really are enough to give me a headache.

  "Fine but only because he's being such a cry baby" Leon said, flicking the now empty bottle in to a trash can some feet away, but then sighing in disappointment as it bounced off and hit the pavement with the sound of crinkling plastic.

  "You better pick that up" Larry chided, only to be answered by an exasperated sigh from Leon, who just kept walking on. Larry looked at me for help and i looked down at the pavement, knowing that Leon wouldn't really be moved no matter what was said.

  And besides, statistically speaking for everyone who litters in a public domain there are at least five others who would clean up the litter.

  And sure enough, a few moments later someone else dropped the bottle in to the bin, and we all moved on, forgetting about this trivial matter.

  "So..." Larry began, "What do you guys want to do now? It's pretty amazing being by ourselves out here isn't it? You know, without parent supervision?" he asked, running his hand through his hair.

  "It is pretty epic so far. Hey, how about we try and crash one of the buildings here?" Leon suggested, "With Jason's brains we could get on to the roof of any place."

  "Well..sorry, not going to help you do that dude; it's illegal. There'll also be a penalty depending on which building we climb on top of, and depending on what we are charged for" I replied, although i could not deny that i was curious as to where this conversation would go.

  "Come on, if we're friends you guys will listen to me" Leon laughed, punching me on the shoulder causing me to wince slightly in pain.

  "You know,that hurt" i replied, nursing my shoulder, "And you really need to stop blackmailing us in to doing things we'd rather not do."

  "Come on, it'll be fun!" he answered, "Don't be such a bore Jason. Besides, i didn't come all the way out here just to get stuck with a bunch of wimps."

"I'm not a wimp!" Larry objected.

"Are too"

"Are not!"

  "Ugh if i satisfy your desires will you stop bothering us Leon?" i asked, fearing that i may get a real headache if the two didn't stop bickering.

"Sure, it's a deal!" Leon replied.

*Sigh* guess i have no choice now.

"Fine, what place do you want to break in to?" I asked, sighing.

  "Hmm" he thought, scanning the buildings around him. "That one right there" he said, pointing towards a rather posh looking seaside resort with a tall hotel, "I bet the view will be epic from up there."

"Fine, let's go then" i said.

  "Great!" Leon exclaimed, grabbing both me and Larry by our arms and pulling us forwards, "This is going to be so cool! I just know it!"

Oh boy, this is going to be such a drag.

------

Emily's pov:

  "Dad and mom should have been here an hour ago" I began, glancing out the window, "It's not like them to be late, even with their demanding jobs."

  "It is strange no doubt, but i'm sure they're fine. Mom and dad probably ran in to some traffic on the way back, which wouldn't be surprising considering that this is an area where beach side resorts are built" Felix replied, seeming unconcerned.

"Yeah...you're probably right, but still, i can't help but get a bad feeling" I responded.

  "You needn't worry Emily. After all, nothing bad could possibly happen to them" the black haired teen reassured.

  "I hope you're right" i said, sighing and going back to looking out the window. Nothing out of the normal was going on outside; the usual hustle and bustle of tourists, the normal beach side activities, the residents of the resort cooling themselves off in the swimming pools, and..wait..

  "Huh?" i thought to myself, looking at the wall of the resort in the amazement. A boy, no..two, wait..three boys were quickly climbing over it, and almost just as quickly they jumped down in to the bushes, not even alerting a single passerby as they disappeared momentarily from view.

  It was like they were professionals at this or something, because it was obvious their entry had been carefully thought out. No one had seen them, and the only reason i had was because of sheer luck.

  "What are you so fixated on Emily?" Felix asked, standing right behind me, causing me to jump slightly.

  He curiously looked out the window and then towards the bushes that i had been staring at, "Do you seriously like those bushes enough to stare at them?"

  "It's not that moron, watch" i answered wittily, falling silent as i waited for the three intruders to make their next move.

Then, for barely a moment, i saw movement that was ever so slight, in the greenery.

"You saw that Emily?" Felix asked curiously, "Is that a person hiding in there?"

  "Persons" i corrected, "And so far they remain undetected. In fact how they got in to the resort at all is beyond me."

"Well this has piqued my interest for sure" Felix grinned, amused. "Let's see what they do next."

  "I see that the bushes lead to the very crowded swimming are-oh, i see now! They're going to conceal themselves within the bushes till they make it to an area densely packed with people, and then blend in with the crowd!" I said, impressed.

  "It is quite crafty no doubt. I wonder if one of the these people was the one to think of all this. Hey, should we alert anyone to this news?" Felix asked.

  "Under normal circumstances i would, but, i don't think we're in any danger right now. I only got small glimpses of the three trespassers, and they seemed to be around our age. But the real reason i don't want to have them caught right now is because i think...i think they're just doing this for fun" I explained, looking at Felix to see what he would say.

  "Do you really think people who'd be doing this for fun would plan things out so finely and intricately?" Felix questioned.

  "Hmm i have some doubts about what i said right now, but if those three do try something suspicious we can report them then" I answered.

"Oh so slipping in to a resort and hiding among the bushes wasn't suspicious" Felix joked.

  Before i could reply i spotted the three figures hurriedly merge with the crowd, before spacing themselves out a little, and one by one each of them at different intervals entered the changing area next to the swimming pool.

  "That was quite clever of them to keep that distance between themselves" Felix mused, "It was just enough for them to not lose sight of each other, but enough to make it seem like neither of them had any relations with each other."

  "Once again if this is true i am quite impressed. What do you suppose they'll do next?" I asked, feeling excitement course through my veins.

  "They're probably discussing what to do next, but listen, i have a great idea Emily" Felix smirked, "Our window can only let us see so much, so i propose we head down to the pools and tail our uninvited guests."

  "Oh that sounds like a great idea, let's go!" i squealed, wearing a pair of running shoes and rushing out the door with my brother.

  And as both of them rushed down the hallway they knew in their hearts that today was going to be no ordinary day. Indeed, this was probably going to be the start of an adventure they couldn't turn their backs on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kairos By leigh heasley

Science Fiction

842K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...