Don't Talk To Me | BOOK 3

By honeywriitings

(Prequel to Don't Talk To Anyone) 18 years. Since the world turned black. Since zombies took over the world... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
a/n
characters!

thirty three

271 21 11
By honeywriitings

Riley Murphy

2048

My head hurt. I had cried for hours in Dakota's arms who thankfully didn't say a word.

We were on Dakota's bedroom floor before but thankfully we moved to the bed where I was now  laying beside Dee, my hand on her leg.

She stroked my hair, pulling her fingers through the rough strands of my brown hair as her breath hits my skin softly. 

She looks so beautiful when she's distracted. Her face is babyish almost. Long eyelashes, soft lips, smooth skin. 

I heard a knock at the door and heard Dakota called for them to come in.

It was Elle. My breath hitched and I tried to stay still, hoping they wouldn't notice.

"Are you alright?" Dakota spoke gently.

"I heard you guys." She whispered, sitting on the end of the bed.

The bed squeaked as she sat down and I felt her place a hand on my back. 

Elle watched him, "Does he really think that we don't love him?" Her voice was barely above a whisper as more tears fell down her cheeks.

There was slight shuffling on the bed before I heard Elle sigh, "He's just upset." 

Guilt flooded my body and I felt the need to cry grow stronger. 

I'm such a bad person. 

Elle sighed, "I watched him grow up. I raised him, you know?" She nodded, "I just wish he'd talk to me. Or Alex, or Paxton! Even Megan, she's a freaking therapist!" 

"I know. I'm working on it. He's just... been through a lot. More than you know and more than he lets on." 

"That's for sure." 

I looked up at her face and saw tears in her eyes, "Did you know that when he was about 3 or 4, he snuck out of his room and managed to turn on the kitchen sink." Elle smiled, "He flooded the whole floor. We didn't realise until we woke up the next morning and found him curled up in a ball, asleep on the couch."

Dee giggled, "That sounds like something he'd do." 

"Well, I'll leave you to it."

Before she could leave, Dakota called out.

"He loves you, you know that right?" 

Elle nodded, "I know."

The door was closed again and we were left in silence. 

Darkness welcomed us as the night sky continued to grow, stars appearing on every inch of the sky as the moon came into vision.

Dakota sniffled a little and the sound tugged at my heartstrings.

She shuffled down into the bed and placed her hand on my chest, the heat from her fingers warming my cold chest.

What did I do to deserve her? To deserve my family? I've done nothing but bring them pain.

My hand reached up and my thumb wiped away the remaining tears on her face. She gasped at the sudden contact, obviously not expecting it.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled.

There was silence, "I know." 

* * * 

When I woke up the next morning, my eyes were heavy. I managed to peel them open and noticed an empty bed.

There was a note attached to the pillow and I picked it up, smiling at her handwriting.

Gone to the house to move stuff, be back soon.

D x

I smiled at the note and placed it in my pocket, deciding to get up.

I made eye contact with Gage as I headed into the kitchen, both of us silent as he sat next to Levi, who watched the two of us closely.

"You two still aren't speaking?" Alex sighed, hands on his hips, "Seriously guys? I don't know what the issue is? What, did one of you not replace the toilet paper?" He joked.

Gage had a straight face as did I, "I don't know. As your son, apparently I'm too selfish and immature." I spat, earning an eyeballs from Gage.

I chucked a few grapes into my mouth, grimacing at the sour taste before exiting the kitchen, grabbing a box and placing it into the back of the car.

"Might as well be useful." I mumbled under my breath, "About time you got up." I heard.

I turned to see Paxton. He grinned at me, a thin layer of sweat across his chest.

"You look wet." I teased. "I am. I've been shifting boxes all day while you've been in bed. Even your girlfriend has been hauling ass." 

Paxton slapped me on the back and I rolled my eyes, "She's not my girlfriend." I frowned, "Not yet." He said.

"What was that?" I asked, waiting for his reaction, "Nothing man. But you better ask her before she loses interest."

Great, another fear to add to the list!

Just as I had stacked the last box into the car, I heard a loud boom from the distance.

Shielding my eyes as I looked in the direction it came from, my eyes widened as I realised it came from the street over.

"DAKOTA!" I screamed, catching Paxton's attention from inside.

I took off running, my legs giving out under me as fear took over.

Paxton, Alex and the others were hot on my heel as we rounded the corner, seeing a car up in flames.

"DAKOTA!" I yelled, praying to hear a response.

"ELLE?" Paxton screamed.

I could hear Gage and Levi calling for Dakota and Elle, whilst we tried not to get too close.

The car was smoking again as the wheels caught on fire, "This thing is going to blow." I yelled over the crackling of the fire, "We need to find them and hurry!" 

There was a low buzzing noise as I covered my nose and mouth with my arm, starting to sweat as I got deeper into the fire.

Come on Riley, this isn't your first Rodeo.

"HEY, THEY'RE OVER HERE!" Alex yelled.

I followed the sound of his voice before sprinting off in that direction.

Paxton had Elle in his arms, carrying her bridal style as she lay unconscious in her arms. My heart sank as I searched for Dakota.

"Where is she?" I yelled, "She's here, I can't get her out." 

Levi ran towards the fire, Gage failing to hold him back, "Levi."

"She's my sister, Gage. I have too." 

He disappeared into the fire before Gage and I gave each other a look.

We may not be speaking, but we have each other's back.

We followed in after Levi, my eyes watering from all the smoke.

When I finally spotted Dakota, my heart did a somersault.

She was conscious, just barely and coughing. 

Levi grabbed onto her, trying to pull her out but the fire was too much, "Okay, keep pulling her. Gage, grab her legs, push her toward Levi."

But just as we managed to manoeuvre our way into the car, the engine made a rumbling noise.

Next thing I know, I'm being thrown into the air.

* * * 

hi *hides*

I'm sorry for this 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 4.4K 35
~I tried to get up but my stomach was so big and the pain was back. I tried to crawl away from the scene but didn't come far. The pain was now even w...
1.7K 292 24
*Editing* Sophia's life had been pretty normal up until this point, Of course she's went through the normal teenage drama, her own personal problems...
186 12 6
This story is about three teenage girls about 17 who suddenly have to live in a world where a sudden incident happened That started the end of the wo...
43.5K 422 34
This is my 1st book off of a brain injury that almost killed me i am 6/24 months healed so plz dont hate on me that much. The story is about a younge...