𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇. enhypen

By CTRLVTAE

❝ DESTINY ALWAYS FINDS A WAY. ❞ ━━━━━━━━━━━ Seeking to strengthen the East Kingdom, the Princess of the East... More

one
two
three
four
five
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven

six

3.3K 224 139
By CTRLVTAE

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A NICE AND PEACEFUL DAY FOR SUNOO.

He had an energizing cup of earl grey tea as soon as he woke up, a delicious and filling breakfast, and an idle schedule for the whole evening.

It was rare for him to have a day where he wasn't bombarded with multiple tasks and overwhelming lessons from his father. Quite similar to the Princess, Sunoo was expected to follow the footsteps of his father and undertake his position as the King's right-hand man. It was a position that held the most power below the King and demanded an ardent successor with much integrity and resilience. For years his father has molded him to become a worthy successor of his dignified position. And Sunoo plans to equal his father when his own time comes to serve the East Kingdom and its subjects.

However, the stress and pressure can truly debilitate a young lad like him. That is why he anticipated to enjoy his day off without a single interruption of the chaotic atmosphere he dwelled in.

But just as he laid down on his bed with a lavender-scented candle burning its aroma in the air, prepared to take a relaxing afternoon nap, Jihye barged into his room with a determined glint in her eyes.

He took one look at her and knew that the nap he was looking forward to wouldn't be happening any time soon today.

"I need your help." She had said as she pulled him out of his room with no other explanation given. He didn't even get the chance to protest.

And now here he was.

Standing, arms crossed in the castle's library as Jihye had her newest spell book sprawled on one of the tabletops. He wasn't too fond of the large space, the tall and wide bookcases made him feel small and suffocated, a feeling he didn't quite roister. Whenever he needed a specific book kept within the library, Sunoo would always request for a servant to fetch it for him to avoid his piffling phobia.

It was another reason why he disliked visiting The Hollow Bookshop back in Acacia, but forces himself to set foot in it as it's Jihye's favorite shop in the entire Kingdom.

"I'm going to try this one out." Jihye tells, pointing at a page titled, 'Velox Devita', which roughly translated to avoid quickly in their native tongue. "It's not entirely teleporting to a far location. The caster only moves a couple of feet or a meter at most from where they were originally standing."

Sunoo hummed, not entirely interested in the unanticipated Magic lesson Jihye decided to teach out of the blue.

"The book says that this spell was created to help Magian knights to avoid the fierce strikes of enemies during battles and wars." Jihye had always admired the Royal Rose Guards of the East, as all of them gave an oath to protect their Kingdom before their own lives. She could only imagine how terrifying it would be to fight in a battle with your life on the line, all for the name of the East. The Velox Devita spell must've gave them at least a sense of security.

It wouldn't do Jihye bad either if she had this spell under her belt. "Could come handy one day." She utters to herself.

"I don't get it." Sunoo pipes up, nearing the table where Jihye stood and giving her a deciphering stare. "If your intended goal is to teleport into Acacia without anyone catching you, why don't you just skip to that spell instead of wasting your time with the other ones?"

Sunoo knew how Jihye hated taking the more complicated course of action, altering the castle's stone walls to create an egress. Although she had already learned transmutation, a sub-magical branch which allowed the caster to transform into any living creature they have seen or come in contact with, she wasn't able to put it to use.

She could transform into one of the many servants that lived in the castle and simply leave through the front gates. But because of her Father's cautious trait, if a servant needed to leave the castle's grounds, they were required to report their leave a day beforehand and recorded within their servant log that was handled by the Royal Council. No servant would be willing to cooperate with her misbehaving schemes in risk of being discovered by the King and receiving an adamant punishment.

And for some phenomenal reason, not a single magical creature or animal dared near the castle. Birds even avoided flying over the royal land all together. So if Jihye were to transform into a bird and attempt to fly off into the woods, it would cause immense suspicion by whoever spotted Jihye's avifauna form.

Even with all those obstacles present, Jihye was still persistent in finding a way to leave the castle whenever she pleased with little to no hassle. If Sunoo were to be in her expensive and tailored shoes, he would have skipped right to the point and done his deeds.

"The spells are written in an order for a reason, Sunoo. They must be learned the way the table of contents is written." Jihye said in a manner that made Sunoo feel as if he had asked a vacuous question. "It's more satisfactory to work your way through than taking a shortcut."

"But why am I here then? I could've been in deep sleep by now." Sunoo asked as he noticed an hour had crawled by and he had not done anything except give the Princess useless company. By now the candle he had set back in his room had surely burned away, leaving nothing but melted wax and a profuse aroma.

"I needed someone to keep a lookout while I tried to learn these spells." Jihye stood up from the chair she had been sitting in to take one last look around the library in search of a wandering servant. "And it's better to have you here because if I'm caught we'd both get in trouble regardless of your presence or not."

He didn't insist further after her explanation. With nothing else said between them, Jihye turns back to her spell book and begins to read the instructions.

"The spellcaster must channel their energy into their core and mentally propel themselves to their desired direction..." Jihye muttered under her breath. Sunoo only listened from where he stood, trying to make sense of what she was reading. Channel their energy? Mentally propel? What was that supposed to mean?

"Huh." Jihye tilts her head in a curt manner as her eyes scan over a sentence. "It says the spell becomes easier to cast when the spellcaster is actively avoiding a projectile." She noted the words out loud for Sunoo to discern with her.

Jihye shifts her gaze to the peach she had brought along with her in desperation to bribe Sunoo in aiding her magical shenanigans. Sunoo wasn't in the right mood to eat fruit, making her bribe ineffective. Though Sunoo didn't verbally protest when she had dragged him to the library, so she supposed the peach wasn't necessary in the first place.

An idea pops into her mind and she swiftly picks it up. "Try throwing that peach at me." She tosses him the fruit.

Sunoo looks at it in his hands before glancing back up at her. "What if the spell doesn't work and I hit you?"

"It will work." She smirks. "Besides a peach won't kill me."

He wanted to scoff at her words. He thought he'd only be needed as a standing lookout, not a fruit pitcher. Though, Jihye was the Princess. And as much as Sunoo hated the fact, it was the custom to follow an order of a Royal Family Member.

"I warned you," Sunoo mumbles with a shrug. He gets a firm grip on the peach, making sure to position it in a way that would make it travel at an adequate speed without gravely hurting the Princess. Aiming at her body, Sunoo watches as Jihye takes a deep breath and focuses her stare at the ripened peach. He finally throws it, quickly regretting ever to have agreed to do it as the fruit leaves his hand.

Just as Sunoo suspected that the peach would hit Jihye's torso, she vanished from her spot, causing the peach to hit the floor with a thud.

After blinking away the surprise, Sunoo spotted Jihye a couple of feet to the left from where she originally stood, a triumphant smile on her face.

"It worked!" She clapped her hands together in joy. "I can't believe I just did that first try!"

"I admit it's quite impressive." Said Sunoo as he picked up the peach from the floor.

Jihye's face brightened even more. "You really think so?"

Sunoo made a reluctant face. "Don't make me repeat myself." He didn't give compliments often and the only recipient was always Jihye, but whenever he did compliment her on anything she shined with such splendor and teased him to no end.

"I don't need to." She giggled, pointing a finger to the side of her head. "I've already recorded it in my mind forever."

Sunoo ignored The Princess as she continued to laugh and instead made his way towards the table to curiously stare at the opened spellbook. He tried to read for himself what it said but still wasn't able to make sense of the words. Sunoo came to the conclusion that only Magians could understand the instructions as they have experienced the so-called energy described in the book.

"You know, I miss the times when you weren't so obsessed with learning Magic." He tossed the fruit he was still holding in the air and let it fall back into his hand, sighing at the memory. "Times where I wasn't constantly covering up your confidential matters."

Sunoo took a small bite of it then spoke while chewing. "We should have never gone into Hanbin's bookshop that first time."

Jihye's laughs have long ceased. There was now a disapproving look on her face. "Going into that shop was one of the greatest discoveries of my life." Sunoo could see the passion in her eyes. "Beginning my journey with Magic has given me something to look forward to each and every day."

"You've never really told me why you're doing this." Stated Sunoo after he swallowed another bite and set down the peach. Jihye enjoyed talking about anything and everything, it was just a part of her personality. But not once had he heard a reason leave her mouth. "Why Magic?"

It was a very vague question. But Jihye knew what he was trying to ask.

She thought about it. Why was she doing this? It's been three years since she first picked up a spell book and now she has learned enough spells to be called a Magic Doyen among other Magians. "I don't really have a reason." She concludes.

"There has to be a reason." Sunoo persisted. "You've gone through multiple hobbies and diversions but I've never seen you as determined as you are with this."

It was true. Jihye was the type of person who progressed through many past times without sticking to one of them. In the span of a year, Jihye had managed to learn and drop archery, embroidery, candle making, horseback riding, painting, tea collecting, and many more. She's been able to last with her private Magic learning for three years straight now. The longest she's ever lasted with one of her interests.

"I'm being honest!" The Princess defends herself. "I'm not sure why I'm doing this either!"

Jihye pauses for a moment. She glances away as she speaks. "It's just something that I enjoy doing." Jihye steeled herself and looked him in the eye. "And I'm pretty good at it too. Wouldn't you agree?"

Sunoo hesitated, then tilted his head as he breathed out. "I suppose so." He'd never seen such amazing skill in the arts of Magic before. Even as other Royally Authorized Magians came and went. Anyone who saw Jihye's talents would instantly realize there was something prodigious about her.

"Are you going to learn another one or am I free to go?" Sunoo asked, eyeing the spellbook once more.

"Actually, I wanted to learn a bit more spells if you don't mind." Jihye confessed.

"Depends on how many you have planned." He began to flip through the pages. "Lord! Why are there so many for a single magical component?" Sunoo exclaims as he noticed all the spells within.

A movement at his side drew his attention. Though he froze when he felt Jihye lean in and plop her chin on his left shoulder, nearly spooning him as she peered over.

He could feel her breath close to his face, a bit too close for comfort. Sunoo wasn't sure why she lacked the concept of what personal space was, as distance was a major part of Royal etiquette. It might be due to the fact that Jihye's demonstrations of trust were shown by her skinship with others.

When they were children, Jihye would often drag Sunoo around the castle while interlacing her small fingers with his. No matter how many times Sunoo reminded her that it wasn't proper for a Princess to hold hands so openly in front of spectators, she would only dismiss him. She would say, "It doesn't matter what they think. I like holding your hand."

Now that he thinks back to those moments he realizes how remissing it all was. Someone of his status, regardless of living in the castle as a noble, should never associate with a member of the Royal Family in such careless and friendly manner.

"You're exaggerating. This is one of the thinnest spell books I own." She murmurs, her chin digging into him as she pronounces each syllable.

The longer she loomed behind him, the more he could smell the scent of her favorite perfume.

He couldn't take such closeness any longer. The more she stayed inches from the side of his face, the more he felt his cheeks burn. "Your breath is tickling my ear, Jihye." Sunoo finally informed the Princess.

"Oh, sorry." She apologizes before shifting her weight to lay her chin on his other shoulder.

Jihye couldn't see but Sunoo rolled his eyes. "Now you're just breathing in the-" He stops as Jihye teleports away from him.

"Come on..." He breathes, already sure she would use her newly learned skill to pester him.

"Jihye-" Sunoo started as he took a step closer to her but The Princess teleported again. "Stop doing that!" He urges.

In response she says, "Try to catch me."

Sunoo's eyes squinted in disapproval. "I'm not going to do that."

"It could help your swordsmanship and reflexes!" Jihye encourages. She grabs a random book from a nearby shelf, not caring to check the title. "Try to steal this book from me."

Sunoo quirks a brow at her childish challenge. She had a point. It could be a good opportunity to better his abilities to unarm an enemy. And his father was always on his tail claiming that his swordsmanship could use some polishing. "Alright, but if I get the book from you then I get to leave the library."

Jihye was sure he wouldn't be able to lay a single finger on her as the spell she had just learned was a great advantage. "Deal!" She agrees with a daring nod.

They both stay in their place for a few seconds, their studious eyes waiting for the other to make the first move to initiate their little game. It all happened quickly. As Jihye blinked, Sunoo briskly lunged forward, his hand reaching for the book. The Princess reacts quickly and dodges his attempt with magic. However, Sunoo who anticipated she would teleport to the left, swiftly pivoted on his feet and outstretched his other hand this time.

Surprised but not unprepared, Jihye casts another spell just as she could feel the warmth of Sunoo's hand at her wrist, momentarily avoiding him again. Sunoo wasn't giving up yet. Hot on her trail, he continues to reach for the book just as Jihye avoids each time. As Sunoo got threateningly closer to catching up, Jihye sees herself forced to teleport as far as she could.

"Giving up already?" Sunoo ridicules with a smirk, noticing the distance between them now.

She stood there impressed, running her free hand over her dress, smoothing out the skirt. "You've gotten a lot better than I remember."

"Is that your way of surrendering?" He asks, taking a few steps closer but stopped at arm's length.

Jihye makes no attempt to subdue the small chuckle that escapes from her lips. "Never." She says before teleporting away as Sunoo's hand reaches out again.

Sunoo's body acted quicker than his mind. Years of mandatory training stipulated by his father were embedded into his bones and muscles.

Jihye had to admit that even without a magical upper hand, Sunoo was a respectable challenger. She was having so much fun being chased around by her dear friend that she had forgotten all about the peril she was putting both of through by using Magic against her Father's orders so openly.

"Jihye?" The sudden intruding question startled them both, causing Sunoo who was still lunging towards Jihye, to crash his forehead against hers. To avoid falling further, Sunoo places a hand on a bookshelf and catches Jihye by her waist. In the midst of the chaos, Jihye had dropped the book in hand, making the heavy thing hit the floor loudly.

"Ouch!" Jihye hissed at the nip of pain while Sunoo groaned.

The realization that they had been discovered dawned on them both. Sunoo didn't fully register the voice that had called out for the Princess, though he hoped whoever it was hadn't caught a glimpse of any sort of Magic usage. He tried not to panic, but he could feel perspiration trickle down his neck.

Sunoo straightened up to his full height, pushing his shoulders back as he cleared his throat. Though he made no effort to remove his arm from Jihye's waist as her footing wasn't stable. Whatever sort of explanation he had planned to say died in his mouth upon registering that it was indeed not a servant.

It was only-

"Heeseung!" Jihye exclaimed, a hint of discomfiture evident in her tone. Her eyes were wide like a doe caught in a predator's gaze.

She turns to the boy in front of her. "Sunoo! You were supposed to keep watch!" She admonished, pulling herself into an aligned posture.

"You distracted me!" He counters, his voice too high pitched for his liking. Sunoo clears his throat once more. "But are you alright?" He says in a gentler tone.

He raises his hand to check for any hints of bruising marks on her complexioned skin. "I don't want to come up with an explanation to tell your Father as to how we got matching bumps on our foreheads."

"I'm alright." She grabs his hand and lowers it back down to his side, giving it a small squeeze in reassurance. "But I'm starting to think I'm the clumsy one."

"I apologize for startling you both." Heeseung excuses as he approaches them with a heedful look. "I should've let my presence be known in a more discrete manner."

Jihye shook her head. "No need for an apology. I'm actually glad you were the one to find us first." A sheepish smile found its way to her lips. "Otherwise I would've been caught disobeying the Magic ban!"

The head of the familiar scholar of the West came into view as he peeked from behind a bookcase. "Oh Jungwon, you're here too!" Jihye called out, gesturing for him to join the three of them.

"Jihye!" He beamed, his eyes shining as he focused solely on her, unintentionally bypassing Sunoo and Heeseung. "We didn't know you would be in the library today too! Heeseung was just showing Jaeyun and Niki around the library before dinner."

She heard said two before she could visibly spot them. They were caught up in a confab that Jihye couldn't decipher from her place a few bookcases away. But as quickly as they came within earshot, their voices faded into distant sounds as Jaeyun and his companion passed them in oblivion.

Ever since their little encounter in the rose garden, the two have shared brief conversations about trivial things but never anything personal. There was an implicit implication to never cross the line of boundaries. To never ask something deemed out of acquaintanceship.

As for his companion, it was a completely different story. Jihye had yet to know what his voice sounded like as he hasn't spoken a single word to her yet. She had learned through Jaeyun that his name was Niki and that he was a fairly new appointed knight that had been assigned as Jaeyun's personal guard. That bit of information had answered a few questions she had of Niki. Like why he looked so confused during the first breakfast she ate with him. He must've never seen that much silverware for a single person before in his life.

"I ran into Jaeyun earlier so I asked him if he wanted to hang out for a while." Heeseung informed Jihye. Though something nipped at the back of her mind. While Jaeyun had eased into staying at the East Castle, Jihye worried for the Royal pair from the North.

"I'm going to look for the other two!" Jungwon announced before he took off in his search.

Before Heeseung could follow after his friend, Jihye gently grips the material of his jacket and lulls him to stay in place. "Heeseung, I have a question."

He looked at her with attentiveness. "What is it?"

She opened her mouth but hesitated for a second. "Have you talked to the Prince of the North at all since you arrived here?"

"Not really, no." Heeseung shakes his head. "He and his cousin hardly leave their rooms. And whenever they do leave it's only to eat their meals. I've only seen them converse among themselves."

She couldn't help it but hearing that disquieted her. "I see." She tried her best not to mumble as her eyes casted downward.

Heeseung quickly took notice of her fallen spirit. "Don't feel bad. It's not your fault." He thinks of words to reassure her. "It might take some time to warm up to it all."

Jihye's lips stretched into a weak smile as her eyes darted over to the Prince. "Thanks, Heeseung."

He tells the two of them that they're welcome to follow along before he excuses himself. Sunoo watches Heeseung head off over to Jungwon and the two Southern boys. He turned to Jihye who had remained silent.

Jihye was no longer focused on Heeseung's departure, instead she stared emptily at the book that remained on the floor.

"Aren't you going to join them?" He asks bringing her back from her internal thoughts.

She breathed in as she picked up the dropped book and placed them on the table. "In a minute. I need to hide my spell book before anything else."

"Good idea." Sunoo agreed, glancing around.

Jihye closes her spell book and uses her magic to teleport it away. "Alright."

"Alright." Sunoo echoed unsure.

"Thank you for helping me." She placed both her hands on his shoulders, looking him in the eyes as her mouth curved upwards. "I really do appreciate everything you do for me."

Her touch lingered as if waiting for Sunoo to say something- anything at all. When nothing came, she took a step backwards, her hands falling to her sides. "I'll leave you be now. I know you sometimes prefer to spend your days off alone."

Sunoo couldn't speak. Jihye's earlier words had impacted him greatly. Sure she's thanked him for favors in the past, but there was something about the way she conveyed her appreciation that truly struck him.

By the time Sunoo regained his composure, Jihye had already disappeared, heading after the others.

"This whole ordeal is driving me insane." He muttered as he raked a hand through his hair. There was no point in standing around like an idiot, so Sunoo began his way back to his room, thoughts swirling in his mind.

As he finally made it back to the privacy of his chambers, he gave himself a final reminder of who he was and what his place was destined to be.

A devoted follower but never an equal.

••✦♥✦••

WORD COUNT: 4.1k
NOT EDITED

[a/n] sunghoon and jay waiting to be included in the story : 🧍‍♂️🧍‍♂️
jk they're gonna show up soon lmao

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.9K 2.5K 13
♕︎ 𝑹𝒐𝒚𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒚 𝑨𝒖 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬...
27.3K 787 36
❝Noona, I think it's too late to go back❞ Park Sunghoon has fallen in love with his senior, after ENHYPEN debuted, he has decided to ask her out. So...
6.7K 240 15
Just what the title says:) Requests are allowed and appreciated. This is purely a work of fiction. Do not mix up reality with this. Some chapters mi...
54.5K 4.4K 23
wherein a girl cursed with immortality meets another cursed soul. © FLAUVIER 2021 ENHYPEN FANFIC NAR...