๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ๐ฒ โœฆ ๐›๐ฒ๐ž๐ฅ๐ž๐ซ

By XX-CLOUDEN

"๐ฐ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ, ๐ก๐ž'๐ฌ ๐ฎ๐ก..." "๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ๐ฒ. ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ๐ฒ, ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ๐ฒ... ๐ ๐จ๐จ๐ ๐ข ๐ฆ๐ž๐š๐ง, ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ'๐ฌ ๐š... More

un
deux
trois
quatre
cinq
six
sept
huit
neuf
dix
onze
douze
treize
quatorze
interlude [ grab a snack or somethin' ]
quinze
seize
dix-sept
dix-huit
dix-neuf
vingt
vingt et un
vingt deux
vingt trois
vingt quatre
vingt cinq [ part one, end ]
vingt six
vingt huit , fin
vingt neuf, epilogue
merci

vingt sept

1.6K 62 268
By XX-CLOUDEN

chapter twenty seven - the book

a/n: i made a hxh reference here, comment when u see it! Omg this chapter yall i hope u enjoy I was crying when I wrote it. This book is almost over fhfnjgkgjg I love u guys so much. i'm so thankful for all of your support. i'm so sad this is gonna end soon :,) but it's been a wild ride and this is one of the last few chapters. man it felt so long but only like 27 chaps so far. i love all of you so much. get a blanky and enjoy the show.
-

the spot. mike had a feeling he knew, but will didn't specify. he must be back in hawkins now, mike thought. and he smiled to himself, fiddling with his fingers. all night, for the rest of Christmas, he read will's book. when he'd finished reading it, he'd read it again. sometimes, a tear would run down his cheek and he'd wipe it away, forgetting it was there. nancy would smile like an idiot, for she knew what was happening.

New Year's Eve couldn't have been a longer wait. for the first time, mike was in a rush to see the end of the holiday season. the weather was cold, brisk, and the air had an unpleasant chill. mike had loved it. he'd been suited for the cold. he remembered something about will.

he was a heavy sleeper. he could be having the worst nightmare of his life, or mike would shake him awake, but he'd never budge. he also had lots of dreams, whether they were about mike or any of their friends— unicorns and butterflies or demons from hell, you couldn't jolt will awake no matter what. mike hoped that will could still sleep so soundly, he wanted nothing more than that for will.

he wondered if will's hair was the same. if he was still shorter than him. the latter question was most likely a yes. he wondered, most of all, if will had found love. and he wondered if it were a boy or a girl. even now, neither mike nor will gave much thought to their sexualities, they liked people who could understand them. mike realized that he didn't really care much about gender— will seemed to feel only emotional connections to other boys. either way, mike thought, i am attracted to dudes...

yeah, mike just didn't care, period. he shrugged. he found himself reading will's book again in the old basement where he and el used to have hour long conversations, either about nonsense or will. mike remembered, all those years ago, when el so deviously tricked him into thinking will was a jealous fiend. he laughed to himself. people do change, don't they? now he'd see her again. now he'd see eleven. now he'd see the two boys that were his best friends for years. and the redhead who beautifully intruded on their lives. and, of course, will.

-

8:51. december 31st, 1993.

mike wore a dark fleece coat and a checkered red scarf. his hair messy and curled up at random sections.

"you look nice," nancy remarked snarkily.

"do i really?" mike sounded desperate, red dusted his face and nancy was surprised. nonetheless she smiled and smoothed down his hair.

"hm, you could use some makeup."

"MAKEUP?!" mike exclaimed. nancy cackled loudly, using her brother's shoulder as support.

"relax, dumbass, it won't be a lot."

"nance i never agreed to this."

"just relax, i'm just gonna put eyeliner that's it."

mike scrunched his nose as he unwillingly followed nancy up to her old room. "i don't wanna look stupid."

"didn't i say to relax?" her eyes narrowed menacingly at her brother who stood in the doorway. he held his hands behind his head in surrender.

"alright dumbass," she said holding the dark pencil, "hold still."

nancy was very skillful at this sort of thing. she only applied a small amount, and smudged at the edge pf his eyes to get a smokey effect. with her work complete she smiled victoriously, the dark pigments contrasting his pale skin. there was just enough to get the smokey demeanor she wanted. right when she finished, mike rushed to a mirror. he tilted his head— the color beneath his eyes the same color as his hair.

"do you like it?"

he held his sister by her shoulders and looked into her eyes. "get me more of this thing."

nancy cackled joyfully again, and made a mental note to buy her brother some eyeliner as a late Christmas gift. "how're you feeling right now, brother?"

"alright i guess."

"you're about to see the boy you've been pining for for years and your answer is alright i guess?"

"will's just an old friend, the heck? don't get any ideas in that crazy head of yours."

"mike you're basically the main character in a gay romance."

"no."

"yes."

"no."

"yes-"

"alright that's enough, we're supposed to meet at 9 and it's already 8:40. how do i look... really?"

"if you don't love will why do you care about how you look-"

"NANCY I SWEAR TO GOD."

"alright alright,". she said with a laugh, "mike you look amazing. honestly if i were will i would kiss you on the spot."

"shut up nancy," mike scoffed and paused. after a brief silence, he said, "really?"

another witch-like cackle and then a contrastingly soft smile. "and you say you don't love will."

"i never said that..." mike mumbled, to which his brunette sister squealed.

"mike... before you head off, i want you to know that I'm so proud of you, okay? really, i am... don't ever not think that, okay? i love you so much." nancy sounded so loving then. it was evident in her tone and her words that, yes, indeed, she loved and cared for mike wheeler. and he sensed it, almost immediately, the moment she'd uttered his name, a smile crept onto his face.

his smile was infectious. there was absolutely no way to look away from mike's smile, because it was rare. it is not often that rare things aren't beautiful. pearly crooked teeth and pink lips thin, and crinkling eyes that even sparkled. nancy loved to see her brother smile. the sound of the television and mike's parents in the other room, and the crickets delicately chirping were the only noises to be heard on the last night of the year.

and the first night that mike would see will, at this age. "don't get all sappy now, nance," he said, "i won't do anything stupid." he remembered the time he jumped out of his sister's car due to his nervousness and stupidity. the brunette stifled a laugh, thinking of the same moment.

"don't break your arm or anything, yeah?" she pat him on the back. he scoffed. the night was cold when he headed out the door. though clad in a fairly warm coat he still shivered and his cheeks reddened immediately. you could see the cold puff of breath that left his mouth. mike ran back inside to give his parents and sister a hug-- it had been way too long since that happened. his parents now knew about his sexuality-- or rather that he likely wouldn't marry a girl. surprisingly, they reacted indifferently. his mother karen had a feeling he'd felt some sort of love for will, and she mainly was happy mike was in love at all. ted, his father, only shrugged. he only cared that mike was happy. mike was grateful more than anything. he'd told them a few days before christmas.

blushing and walking briskly, the tall male checked his watch, hoping that time was on his side. 8:59. he'd be a little late. perhaps five minutes. he wondered if only he and will would be there. he knew lucas and dustin would come, along with max and el. but was he the only one that received a book and a note for christmas? from the pretty boy? he fiddled with his fingers and quickened his pace. mike thought about how pretty will was when they first met, when his chestnut doe eyes, lost and confused met mike's on that fateful day in the classroom. 'fuck,' mike muttered lowly. 9:01.

he'd almost arrived. just one more turn and one more street to cross, he thought to himself, and will would be right there, behind those rotating doors.  'fuck,' he said again, louder this time. a group of teenagers must've heard, as one eyed him curiously, red solo cup in hand.

turn the corner.

cross the street.

9:03.

starcourt mall. the place.

mike's hands shook vigorously as he waited for the people to pass through the sliding doors. it was crowded, no doubt, will would be hard to spot. though noise was all around, and music blasting in every store and every corner of the neighborhood, to mike, it was quiet. it was eerily quiet-- all the people and sounds were invisible blurs and barely audible. where is he?  he'd said to himself. needless to mention, will might've had to make himself unnoticable, due to the fact that he's a fairly popular children's book author.

"MIKE!"

he looked up to the source of the sound. he knew this voice, it was el, no doubt-- much deeper now but still, the same pitch and oscillation. mike smiled sweetly at the dark-haired girl who waved to him at the balcony. he'd never felt more warm in his life-- mike missed her. mike missed her so much. el signaled that she was coming down to see him, but he declined and practically ran toward the escalator. "MIKE, I TOLD YOU I WAS COMING DOWN-" she continued to yell over the mall music.

"SHUT UP, EL!" he yelled back happily. she changed only a bit. her hair was longer, her face more defined-- still wearing an innocent smile and a lovely aura, her tiny button nose and pink lips.

"mike you absolute dumbass," el exclaimed running toward the escalator. mike abandoned himself into her tiny arms, cherishing the moment they shared. taken aback, el laughed and closed her eyes.

"el, you absolute dumbass," he replied.

"what the hell happened to you?! are you wearing eyeliner?! oh my god- that's so cute-"

"shut up! my sister did it... what happened to you?! you're all- fashionable now!" he said, gesturing to all of her. she wore a bright pink trench coat and a dark pink scarf to match, wide-legged jeans and a cream-colored turtleneck. el only laughed.

"max is kind of a goddess and helped me update my whole wardrobe. i love her so much," she gushed.

"where is she anyway?" queried the other.

"I'm right here BITCHES!" she exclaimed, appearing from behind a tall plant. her hair was short now, and mike's eyes widened. she was incredibly fashionable herself, wearing a similar outfit to el's but with a darker set of colors.

el punched her playfully and lightly kissed her cheek. mike smirked. "well well well, if it isn't the random ass girl."

"mike, you look gay as ever. still a total closet case?"

"i see you haven't changed."

"why would i change? i've always been perfect!" the redhead exclaimed. "right el, my sweet?"

the shorter brunette girl nodded in agreement. the male only rolled his eyes.

"so are you two married yet?" mike asked, walking vaguely in the direction to scoops ahoy, without realizing it.

"kinda, but not really. not legal," the redhead whispered the last part. el sighed.

"eh, one day," the tall male shrugged. he wondered where will was, more than lucas or dustin. but he still longed to see them. he wondered if lucas was still doing game design. he hadn't called his best friend in so long— perhaps two years. and dustin, who was interested in a similar field. their relationship ended quite rockily, but they'd still continued their friendship, though it'd been 3 years since they'd truly spoken.

max took the lead on where they were going next, betting that mike was headed the right direction and dustin, lucas and will were at scoops ahoy. the old spot. the old spot where mike and will had their first date.

he blushed.

he remembered it all so clear.

upon arriving at scoops ahoy, memories flooded back as waterfalls— and there was his old friend, lucas sinclair, with an undercut and straight jeans talking to dustin henderson, whos hair was as curly and unruly as ever, wearing baggy jeans.

mike grinned like a happy little child.

"lucas, dustin?" he inquired, his eyebrow raised and a smirk plastered on his pale face. immediately, they looked up from their booth.

"michael fucking wheeler!" they said in unison, getting up to tackle him in a very, a little too tight hug.

"g-guys you're suffocating me—"

"oh sorry! sorry i can't fucking help it— look at you dude! you really let loose, you look fucking awesome, why cant i look as awesome as him what the hell-"

"lucas, honey, you don't wanna look like mike."

"honey?!" max, mike and el said in unison.

"relax it's not gay," dustin said scoffing.

"yeah bro, it's not gay," lucas nodded along.

then they all burst into laughter.

"max and el, you two bastards still together?" lucas inquired.

"practically married," they both said.

"practically married is an understatement! hey lucas what's a step up from marriage?"

"i don't know, being bros?"

"yeah that sounds right."

"y'all two i swear, i'm so glad i'm with el now," the red-haired woman said with a laugh.

mike spent that time catching up with el, max, lucas and dustin. his questions were answered, and he even told his friends how crazy he was in college. he truly did let loose. but he's glad that he's on track and happy with his job. but the burning question was where was will?

after an hour or so, they all began to wonder of his whereabouts. mike concluded that because he was an author, he had to conceal himself in some way, either that or some fans asked his autograph.

but he still wanted him to come, more than anything. it felt like the first night he asked will over.

hour after hour, that night, will didn't show. that memory was clear as day.

except this time, will did come.

this time, mike saw him enter the double doors of scoops ahoy. golden round glasses and a long brown coat. bangs swept to the front and sides of his face, straight brown hair with faded flickering light streaks. he had the aura of a writer. he shined so brightly that mike had to look away. it was then, seeing him there, standing sheepish yet ethereal, mike concluded that he truly wanted will by his side forever.

would will want that?

their eyes met.

will's eyes glinted curiously. there they were. bright, doe-brown. those eyes, mike could never forget them. those lost, puppy-like eyes. they shined and popped behind the glasses rimmed with golden. mike almost stood up at his presence. will knew too. yes this was mike. yes this man with the black mop of hair and dark trench coat and checkered scarf was indeed mike wheeler, the man he was missing his whole life. this had to be.

this had to be mike wheeler.

"mike, you really did make it," will said. his voice soft and soothing, yet loud and boisterous. he practically ran toward the group.

"i- it's you. it's really you," said the latter, without thinking. his face lit up with a cherry red gleam.

the others stayed silent and murmured to each other, max lightly squealing at the end of the booth.

"hi."

"hi."

-

y'all rn:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 155 13
๐–๐Ž๐๐ƒ๐„๐‘; "๐ข ๐ฐ๐จ๐ง๐๐ž๐ซ ๐ฐ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ข๐ญ'๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ ๐›๐ฒ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ..." in which a monster hunt reunites friends and f...
21.4K 545 17
๐€ ๐’๐ญ๐ซ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ž๐ซ ๐“๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ฌ ๐’๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐’๐ญ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž ๐‡๐š๐ซ๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ญ๐จ๐ง ๐ฑ ๐Ž๐‚ ๐’๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐จ๐ง ๐Ÿ ๐–๐‡๐„๐‘๐„ ๐€๐‹๐‹ ๐˜๐Ž๐”๐‘ ๐ƒ๐‘๐„๐€๐Œ๐’ ๐€๐๐ƒ ๐...
13.7K 149 34
2.3K 57 16
๐’๐“๐‘๐€๐๐†๐„๐‘ ๐“๐‡๐ˆ๐๐†๐’ ๐—”๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ฎ ๐—ฆ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ด๐—ต๐˜ ๐˜€๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐˜€๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ป, ๐—Ÿ๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐˜€...