Given Time

By KWardBooks

As kids, Leah and Tanner hated each other. To this day, they still do. Tanner Cole is tall, dark, tattooed, a... More

Author's Note
♡1♡
♡2♡
♡3♡
♡4♡
♡5♡
♡6♡
♡7♡
♡8♡
♡9♡
♡10♡
♡11♡
♡12♡
♡13♡
♡14♡
♡15♡
♡16♡
♡17♡
♡18♡
♡19♡
♡21♡
♡22♡
♡23♡
♡24♡
♡25♡
♡26♡
♡27♡
♡28♡
♡29♡
♡30♡
♡31♡
♡32♡
♡33♡
♡34♡
♡35♡
♡36♡
♡37♡
♡38♡
♡39♡
♡40♡
♡41♡
♡42♡
♡43♡
♡44♡
♡45♡
♡46♡
♡47♡
♡48♡
♡49♡
♡50♡
♡51♡
♡52♡
♡53♡
♡Epilogue♡

♡20♡

57.9K 1.3K 128
By KWardBooks

I'm beyond glad it's Saturday. I worked my butt off during the week, finishing my assignments and reading the chapters in advance for the coming week, all so I can have this weekend to myself to celebrate my birthday.

No Tanner, no drama, just me and my friends. Well, in an hour I'll have my friends.

While Zara's busy spending the morning with Jake, and Ben's off visiting his parents for lunch, I'm as free as a bird.

It's kind of been a blessing having some time alone. It's not even one in the afternoon yet, and I've already been to the laundromat, tidied my side of the room, and popped down to the local convenience store to pick up a bag of popcorn and bottle of coke for our movie marathon tonight.

When Zara suggested on Tuesday to redo our night in, I was ecstatic, as the jerk who must not be mentioned our first attempt at this. As for the jerk, I haven't heard from him since the night he stormed into my room, and I don't want to again.

I'm sitting in front of the mirror, curling the last piece of my hair with Zara's curling iron when my phone chimes on the bed. I release the delicate curl in a rush, so it bounces past my shoulder, and I swipe my phone off the bed. The screen is lit up with my mom's picture on the home screen, requesting to FaceTime with me. That's odd. I slide the bar to accept, and I'm immediately met with my mother's cheery face.

"Hi, Mom! I thought we were going to FaceTime later?" I ask as I unplug the curling iron.

"Hi, sweetie, I couldn't wait. Look at your hair, it's so curly! I love it."

"Thanks."

The screen zooms out of her face, and I spot a patch of bright green grass behind her right shoulder. Why is she standing outside? It's meant to be raining back home.

Wherever she is, it looks sunny. I notice the strap on her shoulder, and it looks like she's wearing one of her floral midi dresses.

"Where are you? I thought there was supposed to be a thunderstorm in DC today."

"Well, that's the best part about me calling, hon. Your dad and I are standing outside."

"Outside, where?" I ask dumbly.

"Outside of Putnam Halls silly. We thought we'd come visit you for the weekend!"

She spins the phone around so I can see my dad dancing in front of the door of my dorm.

"Oh, wow, Mom... Dad. I can't believe you're here," I squeal.

"I see we got you," my dad jokes, showing his face on the screen. "You couldn't expect us to not see you on your birthday."

"Aren't you going to let us in?" Mom asks.

"Sure. I'll be right down."

I hang up the phone and grab the key off the hook. I descend the stairs two at a time, and when I see them waving at me from the other side of the glass door, my mouth bursts into a smile.

"Mom!" I yell, running into her open arms as soon as I open the door.

"Oof," she breathes as I encase her in an hug.

She feels so warm, and I can smell the heavenly scent of lavender from her perfume.

"Oh, how I've missed this," she coos, stroking the top of my head.

"Don't cry. This is meant to be a happy moment," my dad says, hugging me after.

"I am happy." I hiccup, overcome with emotions.

After a while, I release my dad and step back, looking at them both. "This is insane! I can't believe you're both here."

"Well, you better believe it, as we're whisking you away for the weekend," my dad announces with a smile.

Shit, the entire weekend?

"I kind of had plans with Ben and Zara in an hour. I'd feel rude blowing them off."

"They can come with us," my dad interrupts.

"Yes, I want to meet your two new friends that you keep telling me about," mom tells me. "But you're going to want to change out of your sweats, Leah. You can't wear that where we're going."

"Going? Where to?"

"On a yacht in the bay," my dad answers.

"Please tell me you didn't buy one!"

I know my mom especially was having a hard time letting me go, but I swear to God if they have bought a home to stay down here, I'll hit the roof.

"No, honey. We're just renting one," my mom hastily responds. "I was playing tennis with Mrs. Norris, and her son; you remember Curtis dear don't you?"

I nod my head in response.

"Well, Curtis owns a boat down here, and when I mentioned wanting to visit you, Mrs. Norris offered it to me. So for the entire weekend, you'll be staying on it with us," she gleams.

I'm going to need to pack a bag. "I guess I should get some of my things then. Do you want to come see my room?"

"Yes!" my parents answer at the same time.

I chuckle and put my key in the door and usher them in. I send a quick text to Ben and Zara to let them know my parents have offered to have them join us for a catch-up, and I then give my parents a brief tour of the communal rooms, until we finally make it to my door.

I step aside and allow my parents to enter my room and watch them inspect it with eagerness, but my body feels out of sorts like I'm looking down from above as a spectator.

As soon as my mom gets a real good look at Zara's side of the room, her mouth goes slack. I guess her black bed cover and posters of the supernatural is different to her initial thoughts of the girl I've talked about. "So, is she a goth, then?"

"Um, Zara doesn't really label herself as anything. She just has a likeness for things like this."

"Huh," is all she responds.

"She's really nice, Mom."

"I bet she's lovely, dear. From everything you've told me about her, she seems like a nice young lady."

Thank God!

My parents sit down on my bed, and I sit on Zara's while we fill each other in for the next thirty minutes.

"It sounds like you've had a wonderful time, then," my mom points out after I've told them everything I've been getting up to so far.

Well, almost everything. I purposely left out every interaction I've had with Tanner, as he has put a real damper on my college experience. It's funny how I predicted only a few weeks ago that he would derail my life here.

My dad leans his arms back on my bed, and he shares some unexpected news with me. "I spoke to Tanner this morning on the phone. He said you've come out of your shell more since being here."

"He did?"

I'm a little annoyed that Tanner is telling my dad things about me after I asked him not to. But then again, my dad may have just asked in passing.

"Yeah. I'm glad you're letting your hair down a bit, Leah. That's exactly what you should do, instead of focusing solely on classes. It's not healthy otherwise."

I guess I was a little guilty of doing this to begin with. "I am experiencing college life more, and it's actually fun."

"That's good, hon," my mom responds.

"Did he say anything else?" Like me and him making out twice.

"Not much. He told me he's spending more time on the ice training the new players. I may come down to see him play at some point when the season starts."

"Why?"

"Because he's practically family, Leah, that's why."

The sound of a key turning in the lock causes us all to look at the door.

Zara and Ben stroll in with shy smiles on their faces, and for the next few minutes, my parents greet both of them with a warm hug and exchange pleasantries.

"So Leah's filled you in on the plan, right?" my dad asks, clapping his hands together.

"Sort of," Ben responds.

"Leah's staying on the yacht with us tonight, but there are plenty of cabins for you if you want to sleep over too."

"A yacht!" Zara squeals. "I'm so there!"

"Sounds like fun," Ben replies with a smile on his face.

"Leah, why don't you get changed, and we'll meet you by the car," my mom tells me.

"Sure." I was already planning on changing out of my sweats before my movie marathon with Zara and Ben so it'll be nice to wear something pretty.

"I'll join you if the girls are getting ready," Ben quickly says, not wanting to be in a room with half-naked girls.

While they exit my room and go to the parking lot, Zara and I pack our overnight bags and throw on some fancier clothing.

"You didn't tell me your parents are loaded!" she exclaims when she finishes putting on her crimson red lipstick.

"It's not something I like to brag about," I respond as I slip on my silver sandals.

"I get that, but it's so cool!" She throws her lipstick in her bag and then motions her hand down her body. "Do you think I look presentable?" She winks.

I giggle. "You look hot as hell like always."

Her dark-gray body con dress and white sandals look amazing on her. They show off her tarot cards and skull proudly on her arms while the dress hides away the grim reaper holding the silhouette of a girls' hand.

I think my mom would have a heart attack if she sees that one.

"Awesome!"

We sling our backpacks over our shoulders and lock the door behind us, heading down the stairs to meet my parents and Ben by their rented car.

What do you think of Leah's parents surprise visit? What do you think will happen on the yacht? 🤔

Thank you for reading! Please vote ⭐ and comment ❤️. These little stars mean a lot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19M 582K 55
"Never call a girl a bitch," I glared into his eyes as he opened them, piercing into me, the bright blue drink I had just poured over him still dripp...
696K 13.4K 46
[18+✔️] (Completed. Ongoing bonus chapters.) When Kaitlyn finds her four year relationship ending the day she finds out about her parents separating...
10.1K 391 51
We all remember that first love. The one who we fell head over heels in love with who also destroyed us. When Emily meets Jay on her first day at the...
136K 10.6K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔻𝕒𝕣𝕜 & 𝕃𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕊𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤 ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...