Masked Attraction

By taylorcelanturxx

Emma Barnes is a shy sophomore with a predictable life. Struggling with anxiety and focusing on her parent's... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Kappa Alpha Society
Chapter 2: He Won't Fall For It
Chapter 3: Your Fate Is Sealed
Chapter 4: Oops
Chapter 5: Dancing
Chapter 6: You're On
*Characters*
Chapter 7: I'll Just Add Myself
Chapter 8: I Lied
Chapter 9: You Always Eat My Pizza
Chapter 10: Bashy
Chapter 11: He's Only Cute if I'm Drunk
Chapter 12: I Can Sing Better Than the Band
Chapter 13: Doritos
Chapter 14: Girlfriend?
Chapter 15: I Can Totally Pull Off a Mustache
Chapter 16: Barista
Chapter 17: Model Emergency
Chapter 18: Man Spreading
Chapter 19: Flavor
Chapter 20: Out of Your League
*Pictures*
Chapter 21: Movers
Chapter 22: Mini Castle
Chapter 23: She's a Little Scary
Chapter 24: Steam Coming Out of Her Ears
Chapter 25: Kiss Me
Chapter 26: Munchkins and Midterms
Chapter 27: Sebastien John Reed
Chapter 28: Wrong Feelings
Chapter 29: Mushy Gushy
Chapter 30: Scream Music
Chapter 31: Big Bad Wolf
Chapter 32: Good and Dandy
Chapter 33: Pancakes
Chapter 34: Karaoke Night
Chapter 35: Slacker Cookies
Chapter 36: Turkey
Chapter 37: Victor
Chapter 38: Did That Happen?
Chapter 39: On A Break
Chapter 40: Dumplings
Chapter 42: I'll Bite You Too
Chapter 43: The Grinch
Chapter 44: Me, Myself & I
*Extra Pictures*
Chapter 45: Everything Okay?
Chapter 46: Old Sellers
Chapter 47: Deathtrap
Chapter 48: Bubble Bath
Chapter 49: Boy Toy
Chapter 50: Masked
Chapter 51: Attraction
Chapter 52: Everybody Knows
Chapter 53: You are Crazy
Chapter 54: Striped & Solids
Chapter 55: Goodbye
Chapter 56: Dragon Tattoo
Chapter 57: Engaged
Chapter 58: Bewitched
Chapter 59: Parents
Epilogue
THANK YOU NOTE <3

Chapter 41: Strike

5.8K 144 21
By taylorcelanturxx

I got you a day to test out the hospital internship with Dr. Williams. He is one of the doctors undertaking students from Princeton. Friday at noon. (Dad)

I reread the text 3 times. I shouldn't have told my dad. I rather get the internship on my own merit and skills. Biting my lip I respond back realizing I should at least use it to my advantage.

Thank you, dad. Any chance I could bring a friend along as well? He's also interested.

Done. (Dad)

Revealed I won't have to do this alone I text Luka I hooked him up.

NO WAY! Thank you! You may have just bumped Jared for best friend. (Luka)

I send him a laughing emoji. Are you coming tonight to bowl?

Yep, Vanessa can't come, but I'll be there. (Luka)

Excited at almost everyone coming, I open my closet settling with a silky teal long-sleeve top, black jeans, and some of my old bowling shoes from years ago.

"Rayna is actually going to tag along!" Becky shouts as I emerge from the bathroom.

"She is? That's great!" I pause "Wait... it is great right?"

She laughs a blush blossoming her cheeks. "Yes, it is."

"Perfect! So, it will be Sebastien, Jess, Jared, me, you, and Rayna." I look down at my watch. "Do you want to head there now?"

She nods and we lock our door before we head outside and start walking. It is chilly, but the alley is only a short distance from campus. Five blocks later, we walk into the complex shivering before taking off our coats. The rushing of distant pins scattering and balls crashing into each other floods my ears. I glance around taking it in since it is the first time I have ever been to this bowling alley. It's softly lit with neon lights and a pretty ugly carpet looking like it is from the '60s, but I like the overall feel. The lights reflect off the lanes offering a pretty sheen and there is a decent crowd of all ages spread across around the 20-30 lanes. We notice Jess who waves at us off to our right side in the rental shoe line.

"Hey! I already reserved two lanes. Let's go get our bowling balls. We are just waiting on Sebastien now."

She grabs her shoes and I follow her along. I constantly glance over my shoulder to the door while Jess and I go to browse our selection. I pick a pretty blue one with flames racing along the side. It is incredibly smooth and only 8 pounds. I highly doubt I can lift more than that.

"Oh, Sebastien is here," she says and I whip my head around and spot him. My stomach drops. He has his arm around a slim, red-headed girl. He brought a new girl. I turn back to Jess quickly covering any feelings that may have showed on my fave.

"Do you want to go grab them and bring them over?" She asks me unaware.

"He can find us," I mutter quietly snatching the ball a little too aggressively and walk back over to our lanes.

Luka walks up to me in a dorky bowling ball polo that he somehow pulls off. "Looks like we are doing teams. It could be me, you, and Sebastien,"

"And his new girl." I spit out.

Luka's eyebrows raise. "He brought—"

"Hey guys," Sebastien interrupts and we spin around. "This is Serena."

"Hello!" Jess says and quickly jumps into action introducing everyone. Sebastien and Serena look gorgeous and I hate my petty jealousy, but I still drop down to brood in my chair. Of course, he is with someone. Good thing Vanessa didn't come, because I would literally be the only single one. It never bothered me before, but all of a sudden I feel the odd one out for not being in a relationship.

"Hi, nice to meet you you're Emma right?" Serena comes and sits next to me in the plastic chair. I nod my head attempting a smile.

"This seems fun! I normally just go to bars and parties. I like the change-up," she tells me.

"Yeah Jess always has great ideas," I say.

"Sounds nice! I hope to be invited to more with Sebastien!"

I nod my head back with a close-lipped smile wanting to be as civil as possible. She doesn't deserve my poor attitude. I continue to listen to her as I watch Sebastien talking with Luka and Jess and then Jess bursts out laughing at something Sebastien said.

Serena catches my gaze. "So how do you know Sebastien?" She asks innocently grabbing my attention.

"Oh, he's just my neighbor back from our hometown since like elementary school."

"Wow! And you have been friends this long! That's crazy."

I smile softly at the floor. "Yep" I respond. She keeps talking and she comes off as nice. I have trouble concentrating because I am still stunned at Sebastien bringing her here. Even though I don't know what I was honestly expecting. I should be glad things are returning to normal and nothing has changed between our friendship. The overhead screen buzzes indicating the game began. Our names pop up with an empty scoreboard.

"Who wants to start?" Becky asks us all.

"You guys go, you'll need the advantage," Luka taunts.

"Oh really?" Jess says and walks up. She grabs her fire red ball and bends down slightly. She takes a step forward and pulls back her hand, throwing a strike first try. My eyes widen in surprise.

"Wooo!" Jared says and whistles. Jess grins sneakily. Jared goes up next and follows with a strike as well.

"Well damn we got some competition," Bash says and I hide my smile biting my lip.

"Just great. I hope you guys have some hidden skills I don't know about," Luka says. Serena goes next hitting a fair amount of pins and then my name pops up.

"Alright Emma, knock them out," Bash tells me.

I quickly glance over as he grins back at me and next to him Luka gives me a thumbs up. I grab my ball, slipping my fingers in the hole, and test the weight in my hands. I align myself to the center of the lane, whip my hand back, and throw the ball with a good amount of force. I don't move and watch it in anticipation to see it roll right into the gutter. I scrunch my eyes up in embarrassment my body tensing.

"The ball is supposed to go in the lane Emma," Sebastien teases.

The tension breaks in my body and I turn to the sound of his voice. "Oh hush," I call out to him rolling my eyes in fake irritation.

I wait for the whirr of the ball to recycle back through and grab it again. Focusing completely on my target I line myself up and forget how old and frayed my shoes are. I quickly turn taking a step and then the wooden floor slides from beneath me, my feet go up, and I am going down. I gasp bracing myself, but something grabs me preventing me from falling flat on my butt. I feel hands steadying me, holding my waist. A red flush spreads across my skin as I recognize the sandalwood soap.

"You good?" Bash says to me chuckling softly in my ear. I peek over my shoulder at him and I get a straight eye view of those blue orbs. He stares back and I realize how close we are. Luka's loud laugh bursts out in the background pulling us both out of the moment.

"Mhmm. Yep, thanks," I utter quickly to Bash snapping my head back forward before I somehow manage to get redder than I am. This neutral event is not going as I planned at all. He clears his throat and releases me to sit in the chair on my right.

"Are you alright Emma?" Becky asks and I nod my head laughing softly.

I blow out a huge gulf of air attempting to calm my nerves and focus again. I walk very very slowly this time and throw it a little softer aiming for the middle. I manage to at least knock down a few pins this turn. Ray and Becky follow their turns with splits boosting their team's score. Meanwhile, Luka misses half the pins like me, but Sebastien manages to throw a strike.

We continue to play, it is apparently clear that Jared, Jess, and Sebastien are the top players amongst us with Luka and I being the worst. Finally midway, I manage to throw my first strike, completely on accident, but no one needs to know that.

"Yesss!" I give a near-silent shout. Everyone cheers for me and I feel pretty proud of myself. I quickly look over at Bash, instantly chiding myself for even wanting to see his reaction. He gives me a wink back and I look down my face beating scarlet.

Sebastien and Jared break off to the food court coming back with plates of wings and chili nachos.

"Here, got some cheese fries for you," Sebastien says sliding them over to me. I thank him and he steals a fry before walking over to Serena to share a plate. We continue playing and by the final score, Jess's team wins. Jess ended with the overall highest score and Sebastien following in second place.

Jared slightly picks her up spinning her and she giggles into his side.

"Good going Emma," Luka says jokingly as I sit next to him.

"Dude you only got five points higher than me," I say chastising him.

He waves his hand in indifference but then leans to me his face serious. "I guess the conversation didn't go well," he whispers shooting his gaze quickly to Bash and Serena insinuating our past phone call about the kiss.

"I guess it depends who you ask," I mutter and his face grows filled with concern. I shrug and then look up to notice Sebastien watching the two of us and I sit back up straight. We start to all pack up, those who rented shoes returning them, and us buttoning up our coats.

"That was so much fun! Wasn't it?" Becky exclaims with Ray on her other side their hands laced together as we walk out the exit.

"Yes, it really was," I respond and look towards Lukas. "I wish Vanessa could have come."

"I know! She loves bowling too!" He makes a sad face. I glance back to Sebastien and Serena and he comes up on my side.

"Want us to drive you both back to your dorm?" Sebastien says indicating to me and Becky.

I peek over at Becky and she nods. "That would be great thank you," I answer back.

"No worries and I had a great time tonight thanks for inviting me," he says smiling as his arm is around Serena.

"Me as well," Serena adds in.

I nod with a weak smile as we separate from the rest of the group and hop in his car.

***
*author's note*
Thank you!! I am so appreciative when I see new and continuing readers and also some new votes :) Please continue to vote <3

By the way, my goal is to reach around 60-70 chapters for the story (not definite) !! I am already over 50,000 words which is crazy because I have trouble writing 1000 words for my schoolwork lmao.
Stay safe and happy reading 💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 376 51
We all remember that first love. The one who we fell head over heels in love with who also destroyed us. When Emily meets Jay on her first day at the...
36.5K 1.2K 35
The story revolves around Emily Heartwood, who is hopelessly in love with her classmate, Vincent Zaphyr. Only if it was just a crush. Talking about...
5.7K 90 8
After the mysterious death of her father, Violet, a determined young woman, moves to London to uncover the truth behind his death. Living in a small...
3.4M 104K 50
"𝐈'𝐦 𝐬𝐨 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐦𝐞." "𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚 𝐨𝐟 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐈'𝐦 𝐚𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐨𝐟."...