Ecokinetic - My Highschool He...

By Krystalityy

Musutafu, Japan. A city over 6,000 miles from her hometown, the big city of Chicago, and the soon to be birth... More

Disclaimer
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chatper 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 5

668 23 18
By Krystalityy

Present time

"Hey Krystal," I pick up my phone and place it up against my ear. "On your way to school, take the long way. I got held up. Trains out. Another villain. I'm not sure when I'm gonna make it into the office."

My dad's voice rang through the phone as I heard what sounded like an action movie playing in the background.

"OK. Thanks for the heads up." I hang up the phone and continue getting ready for school. I put on my Musutafu Private Middle School uniform and undo the ponytail I had worn to bed.

"OK, today we're supposed to go over future high school options in homeroom, we have that biology test fourth hour, and then I have my extra Japanese grammar class between the last two periods." I mumble to myself while I double and triple check my backpack.

I just have to get through my classes today and then I get to meet up with one of my masters helping with the quirk control later.

Easy.

I put my shoes on and quickly throw a 'goodbye' to my mom before I run out the front door. On my way I couldn't help but admire the beauty of all the cherry blossoms flying through the air.

This definitely wasn't Chicago.

———

"Ashido, would you mind passing out these career aptitude tests?" Sensei Sato asked while directed at my friend beside me.

"Sure, teach!" She responds. Sensei responds with a straight face and then rolls his eyes.

Mina Ashido. Quirk: Acid

I giggle to myself as I reach my hand out for Mina to give me one.

"No, no, no, missy. You know damn well you don't need one of these. We already have a plan!" I sigh and sink into my chair dramatically.

"I haven't even decided if I'm applying there yet, Mina!" The bubbly, pink girl put a single finger against my lips to signify my need to shut up.

"We've talked about this ever since you transferred here and I took you under my wing! We have trained together, played volleyball together, and we're going to be heroes together! You're NOT getting out of this." Mina has been an absolute dream ever since my family and I finalized our move here.

She was selected by the school to act as a mentor for the 'incoming American transfer student' and we actually get along very well.

MPMS is very different from the school I attended back home but I've adapted smoothly. The volleyball team was over the moon when my 5'9" head ass walked into the gym wanting to play.

In America I was tall for a girl but in Japan I literally TOWER over everyone, including my coach. There isn't anything particularly wrong with my team but the passion I held for the sport has dwindled since the move.

Mostly due to the fact that I have a quirk now.

"Well you're not getting one of these useless pieces of paper so you better start agreeing to a UA application."

"Wow you guys are applying to UA?" A voice comments from behind us "that's the national school. There's like a .2% chance of getting in. that's crazy."

"Hell yeah we are! Right Krystal? Tell them!" I gave the students my fakest smile and slight nod, hoping it would satisfy Mina's demands.

She rolls her eyes and continues around the room, handing out the papers to other students.

UA high school. The number one ranked school for educating those seeking a future in heroics. It's true I had been training more and more since coming to Japan, and had much more control over my quirk but... Everyone else who talked about becoming a hero seems to have a good reason for wanting to attain that goal. I didn't really have a reason.

Before I had any more time to wallow in my own thoughts, Mina was back in my ear telling me a story about a run in she had with a villain wanting directions the other day.

———

Finally school is over.

As soon as the bell rang, I grab my bag, tell Ashido to text me, and sprint my way out of the building. It was time for me to meet up with Shinji Nishyia.

A.k.a. Kamui Woods

I arrive at the small, hidden park that Kamui told me to meet at. He wasn't there yet, which was expected. Heroes always have something they need to be doing.

Instead of wasting time, I thought I might as well practice what little I've already learned. I remove my shoes and get in the stance sensei had shown me the last couple times we met. I close my eyes, reach both hands out in front of me and breathe deeply while trying to connect myself with the life inside the ground below me.

Following each breath, I feel the grass, flowers, and trees breathe with me. Suddenly, a sprout splits through the dirt beneath me. At first it's no more than a small stem but as I concentrate, it's size rapidly increases.

I started by only swaying my fingers, like I was moving a small invisible ball with my fingertips that symbolized my center of control. Then as I craved more power, the size the ball would increase along with my movement.

The stem was becoming a large vine as I moved the center of control further up my arms. Feeling comfortable with my progress, I focus on another area of earth, bringing forth two more stems that grew into large vines.

I open my eyes and spotted a nearby tree. With the three vines I had brought to life now maneuvering in larger movements, I concentrate on making the tree branches expand towards me.

A bead of sweat ran down my forehead but with the increased range, I began using my whole body to control the plants. I move my feet and hands in an uncoordinated, yet graceful dance that set the vines to create a loose barrier between me and a park bench that I had decided would act as an opponent.

"Keep your eyes open and on your target. You don't have to watch the plant you're manipulating to keep it in check. If you are confident, it will do as you will." Kamui-Sensei's Voice rang in my ears from behind me but didn't break my concentration.

I focus my attention on the park bench again, thinking about how I could use my quirk.

"How about you try the offensive move we practiced last week?" I nod and compose myself. Shifting my weight onto the balls of my feet, I prepared to jump and do the whiplash move he showed me when all the sudden-

An explosion.

A really, really big one.

"Krystal, I-" I cut him off before he had to say anything

"Go! Help them!" He nods as a thank you and runs off towards the commotion.

I turned back to the large vines that had fallen and retracted after my lost concentration. Using my quirk, I return the tree branches to the way they were and sigh.

Apparently I should work on controlling my quirk when distractions are in the background.

Whatever is happening downtown didn't seem like a small scale attack so I have a feeling Kamui will be busy for the rest the day.

I put my shoes back on and grab my bag. Maybe I'll stop and get something to eat on my way home.

As I walked, I started thinking about Mina again. She's so certain that the hero path is the one for her and then there's me.

Those who have seen my powers think I have potential, my father has sources that even let me train with pro heroes, and I do genuinely try to get stronger but...

I still don't have my drive.

What is a hero without a goal or motivation outside of "being a good person"? Maybe I should get more serious with Mina about not going to UA.

As I continue to sulk in my own 'hero's block', I look up to realize I was walking past my little sister's school. She does stay after for extra classes at the end of the day so maybe she's still around to walk back home with.

As I scan the large front courtyard, I spot her talking to some of her I assume classmates.

"Mika, your quirk is so cool!" A girl with blonde pigtails says.

"Totally awesome! And you already know how to use it so well! Did someone teach you?" I pause and hide behind a wall so I can eavesdrop. I know it's wrong but you can't blame me for wanting to hear her hype me and our mom up after practicing together.

"Yeah... Just me and my mom practice together. My sister is there sometimes but she just gets in the way. She didn't even get her quirk until she was 13 so I'm better than her even if I'm nine." I could almost hear my own heart shatter in my chest. I just get in the way? "If you ask me, she doesn't really deserve her quirk. She barely tries to use it or get stronger."

I begin to wish I had just kept walking or went to see what the explosion was about. Instead I overheard a conversation I wasn't meant to.

Without saying anything or letting her see me, I kept walking towards the house.

"I don't deserve my quirk?" I don't even know what to do with this information. It could've just been her trying to flex on her friends but it didn't feel like that.

It felt like something she genuinely meant.

While she's been growing up, I spent almost every waking moment either working on the court or working on how to get better while off the court. I poured my heart and soul, blood and tears into improvement. Sometimes with little to no progress in my personal or my teams stats but I don't think that's why I did it.

Volleyball gave me something to put all my energy into. It kept my body healthy. My mind entertained. And gave me something to be proud of.

And then I got my quirk and I've been training my ass off to get stronger with that. It's not because I wanted to be a hero that the whole world would look at and praise. I just wanted HER to look at me and think I was amazing.

But apparently I had failed to do that. I stopped walking and hung my head.

Stay in control. Don't let your quirk tell you what should happen.

I could feel my emotions bubbling up. My heart physically hurt and my body was aching in sadness. Raindrops started landing on my head and shoulders.

Looking up to the sky I saw all the dark clouds that had begun to form because of me. At the same time, I looked back at where the explosion earlier had happened and there was a large tornado of wind.

Across the road from me was a store with TVs in the window. All Might is in town? And it looks like he just took out a villain that captured a kid my age...

A real hero.

One that deserves his quirk...

As I looked at All Might on the screen, I felt envy. I knew how my sister felt about him. How he was her inspiration and idol so that's when I decided.

I will become a hero. I will train as hard as possible. I will become strong. I will be something that Mika can look at with admiration. And while doing all these things, I'll become that same inspiration for other people to.

But to do this, I'll have to quit volleyball.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

430K 17.7K 36
//discontinued// hiraeth /hiraɪ̯θ/ (noun) a Welsh word for a homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the no...
5.7K 331 36
How can someone so fragile, be so strong? °☆°☆°☆°☆°☆°☆°☆°☆° Disclaimer: This book will mention adult themes such as racial slurs, sexual assault/abus...
27.1K 1.3K 90
Hiraku Nakahara had made a lot of choices throughout her entire childhood. She had chosen to live happily despite her tragic past. She had chosen to...
307K 8.2K 32
『𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆...』 Her quirk changed everything the minute it appeared. "You will alway be a villain." "I know. That's...