Princess

By MReads99

COMPLETED. Damon Hale-the rising king of the underworld, focused on taking over the family "business". The l... More

Dedication & Playlist
Chapter 1: Money Makes Money
Chapter 2: Poker Night
Chapter 3: Wild Night for Dr. Ryder
Chapter 4: The Future
Chapter 5: A Shameless Rake
Chapter 6: Can't Help Falling In Love With Cabo
Chapter 7: The Bachelor Party
Chapter 8: 5 AM
Chapter 9: The Billionaire Façade
Chapter 10: The Wedding
Chapter 11: First Dance
Chapter 12: Like A Drug
Chapter 13: Nobody's Favorite
Chapter 14: Italian Night
Chapter 15: Aphrodisiac
Chapter 16: Hidden Magazines
Chapter 17: You're Mine
Chapter 18: Use Your Words
Chapter 19: Under The Table
Chapter 20: The Set Up
Chapter 21: Call Me By My Name
Chapter 23: The Stars Align
Chapter 24: A Mistake
Chapter 25: Heartbreak
Chapter 26: A Sister's Dilemma
Chapter 27: Apologize
Chapter 28: Silence Kills
Chapter 29: So Fucking Perfect
Chapter 30: Dream About Me
Chapter 31: Four
Chapter 32: Be Mine
Chapter 33: The Least Valuable Ryder
Chapter 34: Broken Promises
Chapter 35: Ice
Chapter 36: Heirs
Chapter 37: Grease
Chapter 38: Falling I(ll)n Love
Chapter 39: Love Languages
Chapter 40: Deliriously Happy
Chapter 41: A Seat At The Table
Chapter 42: A Gift
Chapter 43: Build-A-Son Mafia Edition
Chapter 44: Brothers
Chapter 45: Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned
Chapter 46: Pizza?
Chapter 47: Safe
Epilogue
Bonus Scene

Chapter 22: I See You

3.6K 154 73
By MReads99

Ariadne

Half an hour later, we were sitting in a dilapidated New York Pizzeria, two enormous $1 slices of pizza resting on the small table between us. Mario, the owner an old friend of mine, handed it over to us for free. Damon inspected the slices like they were filled with anthrax. I laughed at the frown lines covering his chiseled face.

"We just ate dinner, what are we doing here?" He asked, poking the slice with a napkin as if it was going to jump out and attack him.

Gulping down the enormous bite I'd torn off, I wiped my mouth of the escaping sauce and grinned. "Fine dining portion sizes are not my roll. I am starving; eat up or I will eat yours too."

"Be my guest."

"Damon," I hissed and that got his attention. "Eat the fucking pizza."

He stared at me with his cold gray eyes, a flicker of amusement passing through before picked up a napkin and dabbed at it ruthlessly. When most of the grease, half of the cheese, and all the fun was drained from it, he took a cautious bite, nibbling at the edge. He chewed slowly, his eyelids fluttered, and he swallowed, breaking into a grin that could light up New York City.

Holy shit.

Damon Hale had dimples on his cheeks that made me want to die inside. I had never seen him smile this wide and I made it my personal mission to make sure he smiled this big for the rest of his life just so I could see them. I never even knew he had dimples.

He couldn't possibly be a ruthless killer. The world wouldn't do that, right?

"I'll be damned," he said before taking another monstrous bite out of it and I laughed nervously.

We looked ridiculous, my expensive gown sweeping dust off the floor and arms stuck through a Kiton suit jacket entirely too big for me as I sat opposite his enormous biceps, threatening to rip through his dress shirt attached to his perfectly sculpted body.

This might have just been the best date I'd ever been on.

Our conversation picked up from the restaurant and we ate more pizza, demolishing four enormous slices between us. I couldn't keep track of how much time has passed.

"So how does Ariadne Ryder end up in this joint?" He asked, settling back in his chair.

I frowned. "What does that mean?"

"Your father is a billionaire," he stated plainly.

My chest burned, because I didn't want to think about my father when I was finally having a good night. "So? You're up there too."

He shrugged. "I'm not normal. Most of New York hates me."

"That's because you scare them. Or you've slept with them."

A wicked look crossed his eyes. "I've had strangers tell me they loved me when I was inside them, Doc."

My thighs clenched. "That's not love, Damon. It's lust. But I'm sure they do love the little man in between your legs," I said, swirling a finger at his general abdominal region.

Throwing his head back, he laughed. "I assure you there's nothing little about it."

Now that, I believed. Memories of his impressive length pushing into me flood back into my mind, making me blush as it so often did this past week.

"This conversation is vile," I rolled my eyes.

"You never answered my question," he said calmly.

How did I end up in a joint like this?

Something about this man—just his mere presence—was so ridiculously comforting to me that I didn't hesitate before I opened my mouth.

"I didn't have a whole lot of friends growing up, in case you never noticed. Everyone thought I was snobby, but I was just shy. My older brother was Christian Ryder. Everyone fawned over him, even then. And Bella, well, she could make Hitler fall in love with her. She's so loved by everyone, and she was always a queen bee. My brother and sister were fine because they were objectively gorgeous people and knew how to charm anyone with a pulse. They knew how to deal with people and interact—connect with them. But I never did. At least not with people I didn't know. I didn't know how to be superficial and pass it off as cordiality. I wanted genuine. I wanted real. I got enough fake shit from my dad at home. I wanted to make real connections with people."

He didn't say a word, just listened silently. It was comforting. No one ever let me speak like this to them because they always interrupted with faux comforting words or empty advice. It gave me the strength to continue.

"As I got older, I realized that was fucking impossible. At the end of the day, every relationship is just some kind of transaction. They'd always want something from me or use me to get closer to my siblings. Bella and Christian were loved more than me at home. And now I had to deal with it at school too. So instead, I would always just stay quiet and stay away from people. That way, no one ever disappointed me. I was the odd one out, essentially, because I never talked and yet I sat with the Christian Ryder. The older hottie that everyone was obsessed with. Everyone at school drooled over you like crazy, by the way, not just Christian and Francis. Francis was taken pretty quick and Christian was so he charmed everyone without even trying. But you were the bad boy. You just never cared about any of them," I chuckled and his eyes narrowed slightly.

"Maybe because I only cared about one person and she never even looked at me," he said quietly.

I blinked.

What?

"Go on, princess."

"I used to ditch school a lot."

A small smile crept across his face at my mention of breaking the rules as if me skipping Algebra and him breaking bones on the reg were in the same planet of rebellion.

"I would walk around New York all alone like an idiot. I was... 11? 12, maybe. And I would be in my uniform and my stupid backpack, walking around aimlessly and one day, I found this place. Mario, the owner, saw me staring at the pizza through the glass and he walked out in two seconds, handing me a slice. I dug out my purse to pay and he laughed at me, shaking his head, folding my palm and patting it twice. He had no idea who I was. He just showed me kindness because that's who he is. Ever since then he never lets me pay. It was my experience at someone who showed me kindness without wanting something in return. He just wanted a smile on my face. Oh, by the way, you're the only person I've ever brought here so don't go telling people about it. It's my safe haven," I warned and he nodded.

"I feel special," he said wryly.

My face heated up immediately. "You are."

He rested his elbows on the tiny table between us and I mirrored it.

"Anyway." I shook off the feeling. "I loved it. I loved not being known. I loved it so much. Bella and Christian, they were made for the spotlight. I never was. This place has been crumbling for years but I keep it alive with my money. Mario doesn't know. I don't want him to. He's the only person who sees me as me, and not Jackson Ryder's daughter or Christian and Bella's sister. I'm not giving that up. That's how I ended up in a joint like this."

He leaned in so close to me that I could see every single curve of his face, the flecks in his eyes. I reciprocated once again.

"And now," I continued breathlessly. "I'm sitting here with Damon Hale. There goes my anonymity." I tried to laugh but nothing came out.

After a long silence, he searched my face to see if I was going to say anything more and when I didn't, he spoke.

"I see you, princess. I've always seen you," he said so softly that his voice was almost a whisper.

"And who do you see?"

He didn't hesitate before he answered.

"You're strong. You give up a lot of yourself for other people. To make people around you happy. Even if it means you are not. You don't want people to know who you are, but they do. Not because of your last name but because of your kindness. You exude it. No matter how much you try to hide your heart with your mouth, it's always there."

My heart beat violently in my chest, each thump threatening to leak arterial blood all over me. Questions filled my mind. Ones like why did you stay away from me all these years when I could have found out how incredible you were so long ago?

"I thought you like my mouth."

"I do. Very much," he said nonchalantly. I swallowed hard. "Ariadne..."

"Yes?" He didn't speak for a while. "Use your words."

"Ariadne," he said again.

"Yes?"

"Do you know what I want to do right now?"

My heart pounded so loudly I could hardly hear the words coming out of his mouth. "Tell me, Damon."

A low noise of contentment escaped him. He leaned in closer until his voice was a whisper but still retained the calm, icy edge to it.

"When you say my name, it makes me want to tie you down to my fucking bed and never let you leave. I want to tear your dress with my bare hands until you're naked, taste every single part of you for hours and then, I want to fuck you over and over and over again until you can't walk, Ariadne. You drive me fucking crazy."

My lips parted.

My breathing slowed.

My blood boiled even though his words had such a blasé tone to them.

Fuck, that sounded like heaven already, but he wasn't done.

"I want to make you come while you're screaming my name to the fucking sky so loudly that you can never take it back. So, I know you're mine. But at this very moment, do you know what I'm going to do instead?"

"What?"

"I'm going to kiss you."

A smile formed on my lips. I waited for a moment before I answered.

"Do it then."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

614K 11.9K 19
-COMPLETED- 13 years ago the Romano manor was filled with the young mafia princess's giggles as her 'brothers' chased her around the house. Lit...
158K 5.1K 42
Chloe Rae Lovric (24) makes ends meet as a waitress at the Last Olive Bistro in Manhattan. She's under the pressure of petty customers, a might-be de...
Demon By Rebecca

General Fiction

777K 30.2K 142
Damon was a cold hearted businessman who ran the Mafia with no emotion. He killed for fun and took pleasure in watching people die at his hands. He w...
453K 23.3K 72
•[COMPLETED]• Leah Stevenson is her name. She lives a happy life unbeknownst of the things that had happened at the time of her birth. 16 years lat...