His Caged Dove -Mafia Romance...

By HisBeautifulMess

Dove Genovese, daughter of the second in command of the Italian mafia boss, has one sole purpose in life. Tha... More

One: Dove
Two: Gedeon
Three: Dove
Four: Gedeon
Five: Dove
Six: Gedeon
Seven: Dove
Eight: Gedeon
Nine: Dove
Ten: Gedeon
Eleven: Dove
Thirteen: Dove
Fourteen: Gedeon
Fifteen: Dove
Sixteen: Gedeon
Seventeen: Dove
Eighteen: Gedeon
Nineteen: Dove
Twenty: Gedeon
Twenty-One: Dove
Twenty-Two: Gedeon
Twenty-Three: Dove
Twenty-Four: Gedeon
Twenty-Five: Dove
Twenty-Six: Dove
Twenty-Seven: Gedeon
Twenty-Eight: Gedeon
Twenty-Nine: Dove
Thirty: Gedeon
Thirty-One: Dove
Thirty-Two: Gedeon
Thirty-Three: Dove
Thirty-Four: Gedeon
Thirty-Five: Gedeon
Thirty-Six: Dove
Q&A + The Second Book

Twelve: Gedeon

67.3K 2K 288
By HisBeautifulMess

Twelve:

Gedeon

"I was beginning to worry before as of where you took Dove and for a second, we all assumed she escaped," Timor sighed in relief upon seeing me walk in after I had slammed the front door closed. "You didn't even warn me you'll be taking her out. Where did you both go?"

"The annex house in the back," I replied. Taking off my coat and handing it to a maid, I straightened up my tie with Timor on my side. As my right and second in command should anything happen to me, I knew his eyes were sharp when it came down to why. Not to mention the son of a bitch liked to poke his nose in anyone's business.

"Really? Rather strange," he murmured before his eyes widened like saucer plates. "No."

"If you're asking if I had sex with her, no I didn't," I scowled. "It's never going to happen so you can drop even for a moment I'd fuck her. She's a toy at the end of the day to bring my plan forward."

"That's too bad," Timor whistled. "Guess I lost then, since you never go back on your words."

That part was true, I held everything I promised or said with the utmost degree. Yet just a few days ago, I had broken it when it came to her. A misstep on my part since she wasn't what I had expected her to be; feisty and ferocious.

"Don't tell me you did," I scowled.

"We all took a guess if you'll nail her," he admitted, laughing. "If it's not that she's Italian, she seems like your type, besides her rather dull personality."

"I am surrounded with halfwits," I grumbled, my phone going off for the billionth time since this morning to add into my frustration. The least I needed was Timor up my ass about Dove, knowing he had a blast being on my case about it. "Sometimes I wonder how I got here with you all as my most trusted."

"I never said you need to love her, a man got needs as it's the duty of the wife to serve their husband, especially the don," he affirmed.

"And you think I'll seek it out through an Italian?" I asked, trying to hide my disgust.

"Your wife," he corrected.

"I'll fuck anyone else but her, even if she's my wife," I retaliated. I wasn't the first in the generation to do so, putting the need to bridge stronger alliances more than finding someone you love. It was a weakness, and my Father was the perfect example of the detriments of it. When my Mother died, he fell apart while I had to pick up the slack as the youngest don.

"Like Lizabeta?" he questioned, rolling his eyes.

"Yes," I shot back.

"Does that mean Dove's up for the taking?" he stared at me head on, rather curious. Mistress and prostituting one's significant other weren't uncommon within our world, but the thought of anyone touching what's mine, even if I hated it, made me want to slit his throat. "You think she's a good lay?"

"I'll fucking kill anyone that does touch her, so make that clear to everyone," I said stalking up the stairs. I didn't have time to humor Timor, who made it today to see which buttons he could push. I was going to hand his ass to him later when we sparred without holding back. I didn't care what she was like in bed. I wasn't going to touch her, and neither is anyone else. So long as she's here and does as she's told, she'll be treated the same as everyone else. "I'm saying this once, anyone who touches her, I'm sending them straight to hell."

"Someone's in a bad mood," he mused.

"You try being in my place for a day, and then you can say that," I shot back. "Now that we have this alliance, I know for a fact that I need to mend some fuel. There's a chance someone might hire to assassinate her just to piss off the Italians. So, I have to smooth things out in detail today."

"Meeting still on?"

"Per usual in compliance with our families' contract, yes. Checking with suppliers, making sure nothing had been tipped of any sorts," I replied, my eyes drifting to the open curtained window. If I didn't have the meeting, I would have gone myself to fetch Dove and I knew when it comes down to Anastasia and Aleksei, they get carried away when it comes to playing around. "In ten minutes, I need you to fetch Dove back in here."

He gazed out with me, leaning onto the window with a smirk. "Aw, worried about your little bird catching a cold?"

"Hilarious. How about I demote you," I threatened.

"Why is she outside by herself anyway?" he inquired, ignoring my comment before his eyes caught Aleksei and Anastasia who came tumbling back from a tree with what appears to be hollies with them. "Oh, never mind I see she's not alone. Compared to them, Dove is stiff as a board. Guess she's still hesitant and jumpy, which is good. Makes me feel better about her being here."

Though he teased me, I could tell there was a storm brewing within him when it came to the Italians. It didn't matter those born innocent in this world, so long as their Italians, they're all the same in our eyes. Everyone will die, with the last one to be my bird. Until then, I'll let her thing she has freedom. That was the best kind of revenge and torture.

Walking away from the window, I cocked one eyebrow at him. "Are we done discussing her now to focus on more important tasks on hand?"

"Nothing much going on, let's face it. We're waiting on Robert to make the move before anything else right now. Biggest thing coming up next is that formal event," he reaches into his slack pockets for a cigar and lighter, offering it to me. Shaking my head, he lights it, puffing out a smoke before continuing. "If you asked me, I didn't think there was a point in the whole event. I get it's to get connection and touch base upon with our families, but we all know this year's spotlight would be on your wife by your side."

"Nicolai made it clear he's not going?" I questioned.

"Much like every year," he replied, his cigar hug immobile in his mouth. "Which I don't understand why. It wouldn't kill him to check in with his family members, especially his sisters."

"Doesn't matter. If we're done, I'm going to my office and get ready," I murmured, walking past him. Once I was in there, I knew the meeting would take the whole day. It was enough time to keep myself busy for the plan in motion.

"Make sure to actually eat and get some rest, you can't always be working."

"Someone has to," I countered. The youngest don, and probably the first to, as my Father said, kill myself by working myself to the ground. I recall then saying if God wanted me dead, I would have died a long time ago along with my Mother.

"I know, but that doesn't mean you should carry all that burden," Timor motioned his hand, resting it to the left side of chest. "Open up that steel heart of yours."

Scoffing, snapping back with ease, "I don't think I have a heart to open it up."

"We all don't, huh?" he mused, slumping his shoulder. "I guess we'll not be seeing you then till the dinner event since you love locking yourself in your office till needed?"

Everyone knew at this point I hole myself up in my office rather than waste time on miniscule things. Aside from sparring every other night or the occasion where I went out for breakfast or dinner rather than getting it delivered to the front of my door, I didn't leave my office. Too many things to do, and I couldn't risk handing my business to someone else. "I take it you'll handle everything and only call me when needed?"

"You know it," he nodded firmly. "Are we sparring tonight?"

"Yeah." It had become a routine that we exchanged blows every other day. It was a good way to relieve our stress, train, and also take out our anger and frustration at one another with no hard feelings. Though Aleksei and Nicolai also took it to spare match with us, they rather used weapons in combat. "Same time as usual but if anything changes, I'll let you know.

"Then good luck with whatever you do, but take it easy," he said, walking lazily down the flight of stairs as he grinned up at me. "So, then I can kick your ass tonight."

I straightened my back. If there was one thing I pride myself in, it was being able to read my enemy's well, and faster than them too. "I can beat you in sparring and chess. Should we take out the board so I may remind you?"

He mumbled a curse under his breath before flipping the bird at me. "I may be able to sometimes beat you in sparring, but never in chess. Though don't get too comfortable in that thrown of yours. One day, someone's going to beat you at chess if it's not me."

"Impossible." The last person who did so was when I was just a child and it only fueled me to perfect at it. When I reached ten, it was the first time I had also beat Mother and I haven't been defeated since.

Making my way up to the office, I slammed it shut, locking it before getting my mindset to the tasks at hand. The next two days revolved around me in the office, coming out to spar with Timor, making sure everything was doing fine without me. Dove would knock three times a day, her knocking to be the most distinct compared to the others due to the softness of it. She would come in, place the meal down and bit her lips like she wanted to say something though she would always stop herself before scurrying off like a scared animal.

In the two days, I also realized something peculiar when it came to Dove. It started off when I was on the security cams to make sure she wasn't doing anything troubling or out of the ordinary. Though I assigned Aleksei to watch over her, he seemed to have strayed from the task at hand getting rather friendly with her. I made a mental note to remind him what his task at hand was later as I zoomed into the camera in her room now that everyone had gone back to their room for the night.

Besides leaving when fetched by Anastasia or one of the maids to come out, she stays in her room all day. In her room, from what I saw on the cameras, she would often gaze out the window most of the time in longing or pick up the same book to read.

What caught more of my attention was because my office wasn't too far from my room and hers, I can hear her shuffling around a lot. It seemed my little bird had trouble sleeping at night, yet refused to leave either. Occasionally, she would slightly open the door to peek out, placing her foot out before treading back in quickly to pace around the room while everyone else was asleep.

To my dismay, I had picked up a rather uncanny habit of watching her on another monitor at times. I persuaded myself it was because I didn't want her to jump from the window and make a run for it. Now, it became watching her to see what other intricate thing she may or may not do.

By the third day, it pissed me of why I had become fascinated with watching her.

It's because tomorrow is the formal family event, and you don't want her to do anything stupid.

Yeah, that'll be it.

Then I'll go back to my usual habit of not watching her and get back to ignoring her like she wasn't here. It shouldn't be hard to do. Shutting my laptop, I rubbed my temples in dismay, exhaling.

I didn't even know if Anastasia had gone to order a dress online for her or Dove for tomorrow's event. I knew Anastasia had dresses she can wear again, but Dove was another story.

A knock on my office door caught me off guard as I glanced at the grandfather clock in the corner. It wasn't time for the next meal yet and from the knocking, I could assume it had to be Aleksei. Getting up from my chair and opening the curtains, I called out. "Come in."

"Hey, sorry if I'm disturbing you. Is this a good time?" Aleksei asked, peeking in.

"Do you need anything?" I cut straight to the point. I needed something from him, it was almost the perfect timing.

"I don't need anything from you, per se besides one tiny request."

"Where's Dove?" I questioned, though I already knew the answer. I took a seat, offering him a seat as I motioned with my hand for the other side. "Have a game with me."

He stared at me, a bit baffled by my request. I usually didn't play unless I meant business. There was no playing for fun when it came to chess and everyone knew that. I propped my elbow on the edge of the table, fixing a stray piece while he cleared his throat. Sitting down, he made his first move and then drummed his finger onto the table. "She's in the kitchen with Ana learning another recipe of some sorts. In fact, I've never seen the kitchen livelier than the past three days."

"Aren't you supposed to be watching her?" I asked, devoid of any sorts of emotions while picking up a piece, tapping it on the board.

He flicked his wrist in dismissal of my double meaning. "Relax, she poses no harm."

"You don't know that," I shot back. "May I remind you who she is?"

"No, that's quite alright, Nicolai mentions it enough in Russian while cursing," he laughed. Humming lightly to himself, concentrating, he made his next move and glanced up. "If you get to know her –"

"Do you think I have the time right now?" I motioned to the papers neatly stacked I had been working. Though I had finished the same day as the meeting, he didn't need to know that part. I had then kept myself busy, though I refused to let anyone, especially Timor, knew they were right about me. Leaning into the chair, I exhaled, intertwining my fingers together while crossing my leg. "What exactly did you come in for."

"Ana had been hoping you'll let her go out with Dove. To get a dress for tomorrow," he clarified the last part. "She's been wanting to ask you but figured you might be busy so she decided I'll be the scapegoat."

"Denied," I stated after a brief pause.

"I'll be there," he said firmly. When it came to his sister, he yielded to her every command. That didn't shock me, since he had to protect her since she was only an infant. An almost ten-year age gap between them. "I won't let anything happen to Dove."

For some reason, that only got me more irritated that he had said her name so friendly and protective like. I didn't try to hide my anger as I thumped my piece down when it was my turn, glaring. "I don't need to repeat myself."

"It'll just be one of the places you own or are protected under our families like usual. It'll be nice for Dove," he continued. The more he talked, the more patience I was running out. I didn't like acting like a tyrant, I pride myself from doing so. These people were family, someone I grew up with. We shared the same hardship and success.

Yet right now, I wanted to gut him. It was like he wasn't asking on behalf of Anastasia, but Dove.

"My word is final unless you want to win me at a game of chess, then I'll allow it," I offered with a lackluster smile. "Checkmate, by the way."

Cursing under his breath, he sighed. Not bothering to even make his next move as he groaned. "You're an asshole if you think I could ever win against you."

"Oh, I know you can't," I replied, expressionless. "But while we're on the topic, I'll appreciate it if you don't touch my wife so friendly. I assigned you to look after her, not affable like your lovers."

He blinked a few times at my threateningly low voice and then frowned. "Your what?"

"My wife," I drawled out and before he could say anything, I continued. "My property. I don't need you standing so close to her or for that matter, wiping her mouth if she has something on her. She could do it herself. I said watch her, not be friendly with her."

"You're...watching her? Since when?" he asked, taken aback. I had hoped it didn't come off like I was possessive, because I could care less about her. I just didn't like him touching her and making a fool out of me. I didn't need her lips to come upwards at him with an almost smile.

"Not in particular," I said. He didn't need to know it had started to become an infuriating hobby I've taken up in my free time to pass time. What started off as one thing had quickly spiraled to finding her being to be rather diverting to indulge in.

His frown thickened as he leaned, examining me. "Are you actually interes—"

Another, much louder knowing, interrupts us. I was partially glad about the disturbance, but not glad about who was on the other side. Sighing, I pushed myself out of my seat, straightening my tie. "Come in, Ana."

A second later, she popped her head in. Her eyes landed on us and then opened the door all the way and made a beeline straight to where we were. Her hair was pulled high, with her kitchen apron covered in flour, and all sorts of other things caked onto it. In her hands was a silver tray, which I can assume was from their baking. "Hi, sorry but you were taking way too long so I decided to check up. Did Gedeon agree?"

"No, like I had expected. While we were at it, he also handed me my balls on a plate by completely annihilating me in ten moves," he mumbled. "He doesn't want Dove to go out."

"Why not?" Anastasia asked curiously. She waltzed over to where I was as I moved the chess board to the side for her to set down the trey. Lifting up the dome, there was a cup of tea and some sort of biscuits. "Dove asked for you to have it. We were baking biscuits hybrid cookies I found online. They're earl grey tea biscuits with a side of English breakfast tea. So why not again?"

"Because, as mentioned before, I don't trust her outside or with the state of everything right now," I explained. Eyeing the plate of thinly baked goods, I supposed it wouldn't be so bad since they weren't sweet either. Dinner was in a couple of hours anyways. Grabbing one, I took a bite. Dove has yet to make something I had distasted when it comes to baking to my surprise. It had some sweetness to it, but not overly insane either since it balanced well with the taste of earl grey. I continued as I watched Anastasia look around before frowning and turning to me.

"When was the last place you left your office?"

"Two days ago, to spare," I answered, topping it off with the cup of hot tea. "And then tonight for last minute preparation since it will be held in the grand ballroom a couple of miles from here. I want to make sure everything is to my standards, so I'll be going tonight."

"Which it will be since I've been the planner for years," Anastasia reminded, smug and proud. "You finished your business side of things?"

"For the most part."

"Then why not come down and play Durak with us?" she offered with a smile, her eyes glinting. "I may not be good at games but when it comes to cards, I'm a pro."

"Dove still struggling to learn how to play properly?" Aleksei asked, chuckling.

"Yep," she laughed, pointing at her brother. "And that's because you're a bad teacher,"

"Why exactly is Dove alone when she should be supervised?" I asked now, eyes narrowing at the two in front of me. It was one thing if only one person was watching, but she was practically unsupervised now. "Wasn't Ana supposed to be watching her?"

"Relax, it's not like she'll run out with guards posted outside. I trust her," she defended. Out of everyone, Anastasia was the friendliest when it comes to those that "her guts" tells her. If it says to trust someone, she said she would.

Utterly foolish but she's family.

"I guess siblings do share one braincell," I murmured. Finishing the biscuit in my hand, I walked over to my desk as they followed suit. Flicking on the monitor and switching the cams to the one in the kitchen. There Dove was sitting down nibbling on the container filled with the extras she had made.

"Huh, interesting, she said she wasn't hungry before," Ana observed out loud, brows knitted into a frown with her lips puckered. "Actually, this is the first time I've seen her diligently eat."

"She doesn't like to eat when there's people there," I caught myself admitting before I could stop myself.

That earned a stare from Anastasia whose corner of her mouth twitched slightly upwards as she leaned in. "Oh? She told you personally or you just happened to be observing her?"

"Think it stems from her past?" Aleksei asked, lightly punching Anastasia in her arms at her comment.

"I would assume so," I affirmed. "Unless she's alone or no one is watching, she won't eat."

"She's like you then," Anastasia decided, throwing herself onto the leathered couch.

"Don't compare us," I said, snarling as I turned off the monitor.

"Why?" she questioned, tapping her index finger onto her chin thoughtfully. "I mean, you like to eat in your office and sulk all day. She does the same, staying in her room unless someone gets her and doesn't eat with people there. Actually, now that you're done with work, I can totally give you a presentation on why you're a match made in heaven from my observation."

The thing was, I knew Anastasia would actually do it since she had nothing left to do either. Weighing the situation in my head, I took the latter. Exhaling loudly and pinching the bridge of my nose, I asked, "If I let you both go out supervised with three other men, would you shut the fuck up and leave?"

"Right now?"

"Yes, there's a mall one hour from here anyways. I'll let the manager running he place to start escorting customers out so there's less likely of something going wrong," I stated, grabbing out my phone to contact him. "It'll be a quick in, quick out."

She pushed herself up from the couch, frowning deeply. "The mall closes in two hours, you want me to get a dress and Dove one by then?"

"The time is ticking," I noted, expressionless. "You better both get ready and out if you're racing against time itself."

"You're a fucking asshole," she growled before grabbing Aleksei who was groaning now that he had to go to the mall. When it came to shopping with Anastasia, she could persuade a man to end his life with a quick gun to their head rather than do it again with her.

Opening my monitor back to where it left off in the kitchen, I watched Dove who seemed taken aback when Anastasia came running in along with Aleksei. Though the mics weren't on, I was able to decide just the general idea of what was happening as Anastasia frantically threw up her hand and explained away.

Slowly, what seemed to be a smile formed onto Dove's face.

It was one that even Aleksei wasn't even able to get her to make. It was much like before when I stated three days ago that she could be outside for a while. A smile that was caused by me alone.

Turning off the monitors, I set back onto finishing the rest of the biscuits and tea, finding myself to indulge in just the moment of silence with nothing else going on; the calm before the storm.

What do you think will happen in the ballroom party? ;)

Thank you again for reading! I hope to have a new chapter up Friday! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

265K 2.5K 52
"I wanted what I wanted, fuck everything else. And what I wanted was her. Anaís Semaya." "Out of all the stars in the galaxy, you're by far the most...
764K 12.1K 64
ꨄthe mob boss and his maidꨄ •• "I'm sorry Leo." I exclaim. "Your not." He growls, grabbing onto my ankles dragging me down towards the edge of the be...
392K 9.5K 52
"You're annoying. I just gave a speech to you about trying to get me in bed and now here you are fucking staring at my ass." I shouted at him, he smi...
5.5M 140K 107
I looked at her possessively before grabbing her by the nape of her neck and pulling her closer to me, our lips a breath away. "You are mine. Only mi...