Luan's Wolf

By EdenY_

Mating an alpha to a rogue terrified of alphas, and a bodyguard to the charge he can't have, sounded like cru... More

1. Mystery Patient
2. Witch's Curse
3. Grumpy Warriors
4. Realisation
5. Fated Meeting
6. Future
7. Bedtime Visit
8. Alphas of the West
9. A Possession
11. A Chance
12. New Rules
13. Stay With Me
14. And Hold Me Forever
15. A New Guard
16. The Twin
17. Secrets Well Kept
18. My Room, Your Room
19. Night to Remember
20. Role Reversal
21. Jackpot!
22. Trespasser
23. Looming Shadow
24. Open Up
25. Incomplete Bond
26. Prepare
27. Unleashed
28. Lost To Us
Book 2: Kyrie's Promise, 1. Cabin in the Woods (Arvyn)
2. Cruel Fate (Kyrie)
3. On the Road (Arvyn)
4. Weakness(Kyrie)
5. Duskfall Down (Arvyn)
6. Disrupted (Kyrie)
7. Backfire Games(Arvyn)
8. Challenger (Kyrie)
9. Reap What You Sow (Arvyn)
10. Relief (Kyrie)
11. The Only Decision (Arvyn)
12. Catharsis (Kyrie)
13. Status Shift (Arvyn)
14. Smoke Them Out (Kyrie)
15. Hunters Hunted (Arvyn)
16. To War (Kyrie)
17. Scattered To The Winds (Arvyn)
18. Lost Heir (Kyrie)
19. Unfair Exchange (Arvyn)
20. An Alpha's Sacrifice (Kyrie)
21. United We Stand (Arvyn)
22. The Witch's Rage (Kyrie)
23. Exchange (Arvyn)
24. Ruins of Tomorrow (Kyrie)
25. A Glimmer of Hope (Kyrie)
26. Reconcile (River)
27. Forgiven (Luan)
28. Winterpeaks Alliance (Kyrie)

10. The Witches of Winterpeak

35.2K 2K 157
By EdenY_

The Alpha couple stayed overnight in the castle. I knew because their expensive car was still out back when I checked early in the morning. I didn't see Alpha Cecilia or Alpha Derek again after our meeting, however.

Mom, Dad or Luan must've convinced them to stay in the North wing to avoid being spotted by the patients. Probably Luan. Nobody could order the Alpha couple to stay out of sight, but Luan could at least request they did without getting his bones broken.

I cringed when I imagined how the conversation between Luan and his parents must've gone. It could not have been friendly, and that was to be expected. Me and an Alpha was a weird match to anyone who would hear it.

The Mercedes parked outside was a weird presence at the castle as well. Unlike the Alpha couple, it was one that did not go unnoticed. When I walked into the nurse's office in the morning, Rena, a stout blonde, and Lou, a freckled seventeen-year-old boy, stood at the window, whispering.

"No, but really, who do you think that car belongs to?" Lou asked Rena. "Could it be the witches?"

"Of course not, dumb-ass," Rena harshly rebuked. "Witches don't use cars. It goes against their teachings."

"Then who is it?"

"I don't know! Stop asking!"

I wanted to step away. Quietly walk past the office until Rena and Lou were no longer there, discussing our mystery guests.

Like many times lately, I did not get my way.

"River!" Lou called out to grab my attention while I tried to hurry on, stopping me in my tracks. "Come over here for a sec!"

He gestured for me to step into the office. I made the grave mistake of coming to a halt automatically when Lou called my name. That's how they got you. With a small sigh, I stepped into the office.

"What's up?" I asked, playing dumb.

Lou wouldn't have it.

"You heard us," he scoffed. "And you saw the cars. You noticed your mom cleared the North wing. Come on, everyone noticed. Who do you think it is?"

"I don't know," I continued playing dumb. "And if my mom didn't tell you, it's probably in your own best interest that you don't go looking."

"That's what I said, too," Rena agreed, rolling her eyes.

"You're not even a little tempted to go look?" Lou challenged with a playful grin.

He'd done this countless times, cleverly playing on my curiosity. I had taken the bait before. If I hadn't already known what was in the North wing, I definitely would have taken the bait now.

Perhaps it was better if I did give in. A plan formed in my head.

I pulled a face. "I don't know, Lou," I fake-hesitated. "Maybe, okay? If I can sneak into the North wing after meeting the witches, I'll do it."

"Yes!" Lou punched my shoulder.

Rena sighed, but I spotted the slightest hint of interest in her eyes before I ducked into the kitchenette for a cup of tea.

I could make up a fake explanation later. At the very least, I'd satisfied Lou and he wouldn't go looking. Probably. Crisis averted.

I'd already had my share of excitement for the day by doing this gossip control, and the main event hadn't even started yet.

The witches.

As part of my training to take over the sanctuary from Mom and Dad one day, I always accompanied them to meet the witches in the fields.

The witches insisted on that; meet at neutral territory, never at the castle, and never in town. They had plenty of outlandish ideas on how to live. Many refused to use cars and other modern equipment, claiming it messed with their energy flow. They also insisted we wore nothing of metal on our body, nor carried phones on us.

The witches always made me nervous with their strict rules and the constant fear of accidentally offending one of their nature spirits. If I screwed up the delicate alliance my father had forged, I'd never forgive myself. I usually kept my mouth shut and observed.

Today, the nerves were worse than usual as I walked with my parents to the snowy grass fields just outside of Winterpeaks.

My boots crunched in the snow. I always found it a shame, ruining the perfect landscape with footprints.

Unlike us, the witches left no trace of their presence in nature; no footprints in the snow behind them. They always arrived before we did at the meeting place, and they always left after we did, adding to their eeriness.

When he passed the hills, I spotted three cloaked forms waiting for us in the distance. Two of the witches, I recognised. Their names were Everly and Aria, or so they claimed. We could never know whether they'd given us their true names.

The third witch was new to me. She was much younger than the other two. A mere teenager while the two other women were past their sixties. I curiously took in her dyed-red hair and brown eyes.

"This is Liliana, our new apprentice," Everly introduced the young woman before any of us could ask.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Liliana," my mother offered with a smile.

Liliana nodded at us politely but didn't speak, so my dad and I returned nodded without speaking as well.

Then the usual trade begun. My father placed a basket with vials in the snow. They contained various werewolf parts: hair, blood, and nails. Warriors occasionally brought back other gory stuff acquired from enemy wolves. The less I knew about it, the better. Likewise for the reasons the witches needed these body parts; the less I knew, the better.

In return, Aria placed a basket on the ground next to it, filled with enchanted herbs, soothing stones, and whatever other object my mom or dad had asked for the previous meeting.

Mom and Aria inspected the contents of the baskets. Both were satisfied, so the exchange was done.

The witches simultaneously bowed their heads in gratitude, and we mimicked their gesture, albeit not as coordinated.

"We need a werewolf's heart the next moon," Everly stated. "And what is it you desire of us for our next meeting?"

"If I may be so bold," Dad started, "I would like to request that we can ask some questions now instead. In exchange, we will not deliver one but three werewolf hearts next moon."

The witches were quiet. This meant they were interested in the deal. If they weren't, they would have already flat out refused the offer. Dad went on.

"There is a curse placed on one of my patients. A curse cast by a witch. Is there any information you can give us on how to break a powerful curse?"

Aria's expression shifted. Her eyes narrowed slightly. "We would have to see the cursed one to say anything of its nature," she replied. "There is always the option of killing the witch who cast it. That would break your curse."

"And in case that fails or is not possible on a short term?" Dad asked.

Everly shook her head. "We have told you many times, Dr. Carter, we will not get involved in werewolf turf wars, or lost witches who bestow curses. We are a peaceful coven uninterested in warfare."

Uninterested in warfare, yet eager to accept the spoils of it like the werewolf hearts. I held my tongue. It would be catastrophic if I ruined this meeting for the sake of pettily getting the final word. Luan would not get his cure that way.

"I understand," Dad replied. "However, we may not be at peace at Winterpeaks for much longer if we don't break the curse. You are not interested in turf wars, but wolves may bring their turf wars here."

"I am sorry, Dr. Carter," Everly replied. "We can't help you. In exchange for the hearts, you may bring the werewolf to Winterpeaks and we shall look at him to determine the nature of his curse. But that is all."

My stomach sank. We already knew what the curse did. This would likely bring us no additional information, nothing that could help Luan. I didn't understand why the witches wouldn't help us. It was their town on the line, too! What did they not understand about my father saying the turf wars would be brought here?

"If there is no further business you have with us, this meeting is over," Aria said.

Mom and Dad both looked like they wanted to argue, but both refrained.

"Very well," Mom said. "We meet again when we can provide the hearts."

As was our custom, Mom and Dad turned to leave first. I wanted to follow, but not before I noticed that Liliana, the young apprentice, stared at me intently. I met her gaze for a moment Just as I turned to hurry after my parents, her eyes flashed.

I felt a sudden warmth in my pocket. Frowning, I stuck my hand in and found a little piece of paper that I definitely had not put in there.

I almost opened my mouth to tell my parents. But the young witch had specifically chosen me. What if she didn't want me to share?

The entire walk to the castle, I felt the note burn in my pocket.

I pretended nothing was the matter while my parents discussed other strategies to get the witches to give us answers. When we arrived at the sanctuary, however, I immediately hurried into the bathroom. There, I took the note out of my pocket and read.

Meet me in town in an hour. I will find you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 789 66
Ryan King is an Alpha desperately trying to hold his pack together. Between the blood thirsty enemy packs wanting to take what's his, a council that...
214K 6.1K 68
Gay romance mxm (MATURE!!. Smutty) (NOT mpreg) ⚠️🔞⚠️ Kai and Shadow have been best friends forever, but not long after their eighteen birthday, they...
356K 20.4K 62
Bitten by a stranger she was trying to rescue, June realizes she is turning into a werewolf. An alluring man named Dom promises to help her as long a...
168K 3.7K 25
When Eira goes to the forest at night, she doesn't expect to meet her mate and be taken against her will. Not wanting to spend the rest of her life l...