Emma Crawley (Downton Abbey...

By QueenOfDiamonds07

Lady Emma Crawley is the third child of Lord and Lady Grantham. She is extremely loyal to those who loves her... More

Cast
Episode 2 - The New Heir
Unfortunate circumstances
Episode 3 - The Turkish Diplomat
Episode 4 - The Fair
Episode 5 - Dinner
Episode 6 - Politics
Episode 7 - End of an Era
Epilogue
Season 2

Episode 1- Dilemma

5.7K 79 16
By QueenOfDiamonds07

April 1912 

What a jolly year it was. A young woman aged nineteen was still asleep until the early morning light had cast down on her fair skinned face. The young woman groaned and turned in her bed. She was already awake and she heard the birds chirping from a distance. She rubbed her eyes and she opened them to reveal sky blue eyes, looking at the ceiling. She groaned again and twirled her light wavy blonde hair in her fingers. This young woman's name was Emma Violet Crawley.

She heard a ringing of a bike and she got out of bed and walked over to her window and saw the post-man riding his bicycle towards the back door of the Abbey.

She knew her day had started again. She looked at herself in the mirror and saw her figure, she was slender, fair skinned, delicate lips and diamond face shaped and she was tall. She wasn't as tall as her eldest sister, Mary, although she was taller than Edith and Sybil.

Emma walked over to pull on her bell and waited for her maid, Jane, to arrive and dress her. Her room was warm, thanks to the maid, Daisy. Emma walked over to her drawer and dressed herself in her silk robe and looked over at photograph of her family.

Robert Crawley was her father and Cora Crawley was her mother, she was the third child. Robert was a proud & a traditional man, Emma inherited his eyes and his temper. He was the seventh Earl of Grantham and the son of Violet Crawley, her paternal grandmother that she was close to. Emma liked to visit her grandmother at least once a week in the Dowager's House.

Next was her mother, Cora. Cora was born in the United States and she was the sweetest and kindest woman in the world. Emma adored her mother so much and wanted to be like her mother towards her own children when the time came. Cora always seen the best in people no matter which class they are in.

Mary was the eldest and she never let anyone forgets it. Mary inherited her mother's looks. Mary had dark brown hair and brown eyes, from her mother's side. Mary was the strong willed person Emma knew. Although Emma had seen that cold facade Mary puts on, and sees a kind person buried inside. Emma dearly wished that Mary could inherit Downton and damn the rules of inheritance to the male line.

Edith was the second eldest and she and Emma looked similar, they both inherited the same hair colour. Edith was the overlooked daughter, because everyone's attention was on Mary. Emma knew that Edith hated being in Mary's shadow and she struggled to be in the spotlight. Edith was the closest to Emma, out of all the sisters. Emma genuinely believed that Edith is the smarter Crawley sister out of the four.

The last child was Sybil and Emma couldn't find a fault in her younger sister that she adored. Sybil was a great beauty, she had Cora's blue eyes and her hair, although she had olive tone to her skin and a voluptuous figure and was the shortest Crawley sister. Sybil was exactly like Cora in many ways, although she was the kindest and had a beautiful heart and Emma thought that any man to have Sybil's love was extremely lucky.

The matriarch of the Family was her grandmother, Violet Crawley. Violet was the traditional female counterpart of her father. Violet was one Emma never wanted to mess around with. She was very fond of Violet and vice versa. Emma liked her wit and sense of humor and wisdom.

The door opened and her maid, Jane, came in, carrying a tea-tray with a decorated tea pot that was steaming, a teacup and spoon. Emma loved waking up and drinking a cup of green tea and reading The Sketch.

'Good morning, Jane, how are you this morning?' Emma said, looking away from the photograph, and towards her loyal maid. Jane had dark hair and eyes and pale skin and full lips, as well she was around thirty years old, she was tall and slim. Jane was married to a head chef and had a son, Anthony, who was ten years old, and attending boarding school. Jane had been attending to Emma since she was eleven years old.

'I am well, my lady,' she said.

Emma sat down at her makeup table and Jane set the tray on the free space of the table and Emma helped herself to tea whilst Jane started to comb Emma's wavy hair and pulled the newspaper and saw the headline, Emma nearly spat out her tea.

DISASTER TO TITANIC ON HER MAIDEN VOYAGE

'What! This can't be!' Emma exclaimed, looking sternly at the page.

'I'm afraid so, my lady,' Jane said, 'how would you like your hair today?'

Emma didn't even ponder about her hair, only the headline started to whirl around in her mind.

'Oh, just in a simple bun, thank you, and a light green dress.'

'Very well, my lady,'

Emma read the article and her mind was blank with shock. She knew some people who were on board, she remembered meeting JJ Astor months ago and his new wife.

Emma got dressed quickly and she thanked Jane before heading downstairs to the Breakfast room. She hoped her father was down there already.

She met Mary and Edith down the stairs and caught up with them.

'Did you hear?' Edith said to her, glancing at her younger sister.

'I did, I hope it's not as devastating as it sounds on the newspaper,' Emma said sadly.

'It's in black and white, Emma, regardless. Many people died overnight,' Mary said sharply.

Emma didn't say anything more as they made it to the Breakfast room and she saw her father, already sat down for breakfast and had his favourite paper, THE TIMES, in his hands. No doubt reading about the Titanic.

Mary, Edith and Emma looked over his shoulder and saw the large photograph of the RMS Titanic on the right side of the paper.

'When Anna told me, I thought she must've dreamt it,' Edith said sullenly, staring at the paper.

'Do we know anyone on board?' Mary asked.

'Your mother knows the Astors, at least, she knows him,' Robert said. 'We dined with Lady Rothes last month, there are bound to be others.'

Emma couldn't look at the paper anymore, so she went over to the self help table and helped herself to some toast and fresh yoghurt.

'I thought it was supposed to be unsinkable.'

'Every mountain is unclimbable until someone climbs it, so every ship is unsinkable until it sinks,' Robert said wisely.

'Hear, hear,' Emma said, she nodded at her younger sister, Sybil, who just entered the room with a letter in her hands.

'Morning, Papa,' Sybil greeted.

'Morning,' said Robert, 'What's that?'

'Telegram, it had just arrived.'

Emma sat down next to Mary and started to help herself to breakfast when her father opened the letter and there was a troubled look on his face and Emma was about to ask what had happened, he got up and left without a word.

'I wonder what was that about,' Sybil said.

'Maybe it was about the Titanic?' Edith said.

'Perhaps, but I hope not,' Emma said, pushing her toast down on her plate.

Later on the day, Emma was going to the library to find the Anna Karenina novel to read when she saw Mary came out of the library, looking troubled, her eyebrows creased and she pursued her lips, her head down.

'Mary, are you all right?' Emma asked anxiously, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Mary sighed, 'Papa called me into the library, it turns out James and Patrick were on board. It's most likely they are dead, and Papa wants me to mourn.'

Emma had to cover her shock. James Crawley was her Godfather and she had no inkling that he was going over to New York. She remembered Patrick very well and was instantly saddened about his death.

'I can't believe it, poor Edith.'

'I don't believe you, I thought you were on my side' Mary said, sounding annoyed, 'I was engaged to Patrick!'

Emma gave her an exasperated look, 'We both know that she was in love with him more than you ever did.'

'Still...It seems too much to be mourning him.'

'To you, but to us, he was like a brother in the house,' Emma underlined.

'You mean, your god-brother. They are distantly related and they rarely visited Downton.'

Emma shook her head absently at her sister, 'I know. But please don't be harsh on Edith. Although, we should tell them, I don't think they had heard the news yet.'

Mary scoffed and walked away upstairs.

Edith took the news dreadfully as Emma had expected than Sybil. In Emma's perspective, Sybil was stronger than Edith in holding back emotions. Edith cried loudly on her bed and Mary held back a snappish retort and left the room. Sybil murmured about going for a walk and Emma offered company to Edith, although Edith said she wanted to be alone and Emma respected her decision and left. She felt like riding her horse, Pearl. Whenever someone died, she always rode her horse until she couldn't see Downton Abbey.

Just as she was dressed in her riding gear and turned to the stables, she heard her name being called and turn to see her mother, Cora, dressed in deep purple.

'Emma, your grandmother is here,' Cora said softly, 'Would you like to accompany me back to the house?'

Emma nearly refused, but she could never miss out seeing Violet and she was interested in hearing about what would happen now. Patrick was Robert's heir to the house and fortune, however Mary was not a male and she couldn't inherit. She wondered if there was an heir and who was he.

'Of course, later on I will go out riding with Pearl again.'

Cora held her daughter's arm and they walked back. They talked about the tragedy of the Titanic and the deaths of James and Patrick.

'That's why we need to talk to her, I have to tell her what had happened to James and Patrick,' Cora said wistfully.

'Why do I need to be involved in this conversation?'

'Because your grandmother is extremely fond of you. You know what happened when you were born.'

Emma remained silent and glanced down at her riding boots.

'Mama, if I know Granny, I think she'll already know the news and wants to beat around the bush and come up with ideas about how to give Mary the house instead of the unknown heir.'

Cora nearly smiled at Emma and grasped tightly on her daughter's arm.

The pair went upstairs to the Drawing Room where Emma rushed over to her Granny and enveloped her in a hug. Violet was dressed all in black from head to toe.

'Emma, how lovely to see you, my dear,' Violet said, giving her a watery smile.

'Oh Granny, as much as I love seeing you...I wish the visit was in better circumstances'

Cora finally entered the room.

'Mother, there is something you need to know, it's about James and Patrick-'

Emma turned to her mother and said, 'I think she's heard the news.'

Violet turned to Cora and said, 'Of course I head, why else would I be here?'

Cora used her calm and diplomatic tone, 'Robert didn't want you to read about it in the newspaper and be upset.'

Violet puffed out her chest and said, 'He flatters me. I'm tougher than I look.'

Cora sighed and Emma took a step away from Violet.

'We know you are, Granny. You're the pillar of the family.' Emma said modestly, folding her hands on her stomach.

Violet nodded in agreement.

'I'm very sorry about poor Patrick, of course. He was a nice boy.'

Cora added in, 'We were all so fond of him.'

'I will miss him and our talks,' Emma said, a tear itching from the corner of her eye.

Although Violet cut in, 'But I never cared for James. He was too like his mother and a nastier woman never drew breath.'

Emma frowned instantly at Violet, not liking the way she spoke of her late Godfather. 'Really, Granny, can't you be a little civil about him, even after his death.'

It was quiet for a moment before Cora asked kindly to break the ice, 'Will you stay for some luncheon?'

'Thank you,' Violet said.

Cora was about to walk out of the door when she said, 'I'll let Carson know.'

'I've already told him, shall we sit?'

Cora, Violet and Emma sat down. After hearing what Violet said about her godfather, she was grateful to sit next to her mother.

'Do you know the new heir?' Violet asked Cora.

'Only that there is one,' Cora replied.

Violet looked stern at the subject. 'He's Robert's third cousin, once removed. I have never, well, to my knowledge set eyes on him.'

Cora rolled her eyes, 'if your late husband hadn't forced me to sign that absurd act of legal theft-'

Emma swallowed. She knew her mother's detestation for her father in law and she wouldn't hesitate in giving unpleasant about him.

'Mama, please, peace.' Emma sighed, and Cora stopped on her ranting.

'My dear, I didn't come here to fight. Lord Grantham wanted to protect the estate. It never occurred to him that you wouldn't have a son.'

"Well, I lost him,' Cora said defiantly.

Violet snapped her eyes to Emma and Emma looked down at her lap and she held on her mother's hand in comfort.

'Yes, he is dead,' Violet said, 'but when Patrick had married Mary, and your grandson had been hailed as master, honour would have been satisfied. Unfortunately, now...'

'Now a complete unknown stranger has the right to pocket the money,' Emma said sassily, her eyebrows raised, 'along with the rest of the swag.'

Violet ignored Emma's tone.

'The problem is, saving your dowry would break up the estate. It would be the ruin of everything Robert's given his life to.'

'And he knows this?' Cora asked sceptically.

Violet was hesitant in answering, 'Well, if he doesn't, he will.'

Cora shrugged, 'Then there's no answer.'

'Yes there is, and it's a simple one. The entail must be smashed in it's entirety, and Mary recognised as heiress of all.'

Emma pondered for a moment and said, 'There is nothing we could do about the title.'

'No,' Violet, approved of Emma's statement and turned to Cora, 'She can't have the title, but she can have your money, and the estate. I didn't run Downton for thirty years to see it go lock, stock and barrel to a stranger from God knows where.'

'It sounds like you'll need a lawyer,' Emma said.

'I'll send a telegram to Murray,' Violet said, gripping her cane tightly. Mr. Murray was their family lawyer and good one.

'Are we to be friends, then?' Cora said, smiling.

Violet didn't answer until she realised Cora was waiting for an answer, 'We are allies, my dear, which can be a good deal more effective.'

It had been a few weeks later the whole family went to London for the memorial of the Titanic lost souls. It was a decent event that was set up and Emma laid a white rose on her Godfather's coffin, she knew his body was never found and neither was Patrick. She held onto Edith's hand as she still wept for Patrick.

'I still can't believe that we'll never see him again,' Edith sobbed.

Mary huffed and stormed off, with Sybil following after her.

'I know,' Emma cooed.

They went back to Downton a few days later and Sybil and Emma were still comforting Edith. Mary was with Sybil and as they walked up the path to home, Edith wiped her tears on her handkerchief.

'Really, Edith, do you have to put on such an exhibition?'

Sybil countered, 'She's not.'

'I was supposed to be engaged to him, for heaven's sake, not you, and I can control myself.'

Edith glanced at Mary and said, 'Then you should be ashamed.'

The sisters continued walking down the path where they saw Cora at the front door, dressed in black.

'Mr Murray, how lovely to see you. Do come in.'

Mr Murray refused, 'You're very kind, Lady Grantham, but I must get back to London.'

Emma piped in, 'But you'll stay for luncheon?'

Mr Murray glanced at her, then at Cora, 'Thank you, but no. I'll eat on the train. In fact, if you'd be so good as to ask for the motor to be brought 'round?'

Robert turned to the butler, Carson, who nodded.

Although Cora didn't give up, 'But didn't you want the afternoon to talk things through?'

'I think we've said everything we have to say,' Mr. Murray said stoically, 'haven't we, my lord?'

'Oh, for the time being, yes. Thank you, Murray. You've given me a good deal to think about.'

Emma furrowed her eyebrows, thinking what Mr. Murray and Robert were talking about on the driveway, she didn't hear what was said between them, although it seemed like Cora and Violet were losing a battle.

Everyone was heading inside and Cora whispered, 'Mary, try to get everyone into the dining room. Edith, make sure old Lord Minturn sits down, and Emma, please take that ridiculous thing out of your hair.'

Emma rolled her eyes at her mother and removed her white diamond dragonfly clip near her right ear.

'I told you not to wear it,' Mary whispered in her ear when they were inside.

The luncheon flew by so quickly, people had saying their apologies for their loss, although to Emma, they were empty words. Emma went to the library where she finally found Anna Karenina and read for most of the day. She and Sybil played a few rounds of poker and then Sybil left, looking for Edith and leaving Emma alone in the library until Robert entered, not expecting Emma to be in there.

'Oh, Emma, I didn't expect you to be here,' Robert said.

Emma looked up from her book and said, 'Oh, Papa. It's all right. I was reading Anna Karenina. Did you need me for something?'

Robert shook his head, 'No, no, I came in here to talk to Bates,'

Emma's eyebrows rose, 'The new Valet?'

'Yes, that's right, I asked for him to come down.'

Emma nodded and Robert sat down at his drawing table, looking over at some paperwork. Emma walked back to the book shelf and put the novel back and find her favourite book, Pride and Prejudice, although it wasn't in its usual spot.

'Papa, have you seen Pride and Prejudice? It's not on the shelf,' Emma said, her eyes roaming quickly over the endless spines of volumes.

'Right over here,' Robert said.

Emma turned and saw the book open on her father's desk.

'Thank you, papa,' Emma said gratefully, 'I must've forgotten to put it back last night.'

Robert chuckled and Emma heard the familiar sound of footsteps a cane hitting the floor.

Emma turned to see Mr. Bates and she gave him a kind smile.

'You must be Mr. Bates,' said Emma, walking over to him, 'It's so nice to finally meet you. Papa holds you in high regard for your service in the war.'

'It's an honour to meet you, my lady,' Mr. Bates said politely, shaking her hand.

'How are you settling in?' Robert asked.

'Very well, I think,' Mr. Bates said, standing tall, 'Unless Your Lordship feels differently.'

'No complaints?'

'If I had any, I should take them to Mr. Carson, milord, not you.'

Emma hid her smile behind her book and Robert chuckled.

'You're probably right. And the house hasn't worn you out with the endless stairs and everything?'

'I like the house, my lord,' Mr. Bates said, 'and I like it as a place to work.'

Robert glanced down at Mr. Bates leg. Even Emma had wondered what happened to his leg.

'What happened?'

'Oh, it's only the old wound. After I left the army, I had a spot of bother and just when I got through that, about a year ago, my knee started playing up. A bit of shrapnel got left in or something moved-'

'My God, are you all right?' Emma gasped.

Mr. Bates smiled kindly, 'its fine, milady, it's not a problem.'

'And you'd let me know if you felt it was all too much for you?'

Mr. Bates nodded, 'I would. But it won't be.'

'Well, that is a relief,' Emma said, 'I should be going. I'm taking Isis for a walk in around the grounds.'

Emma whistled for Isis to follow her and one of the servants had given her a collar and leash and Emma went on for a walk on her own until it was sundown and Isis was tired. Emma went upstairs and rang her bell in her room where she had asked Jane to get her bath ready. Emma usually doesn't take a bath before dinner, but she smelt of dog and rather wash off than to pass the aroma around the house.

Emma didn't like wearing black and was getting tired of it. It was one thing that she and Mary had in common, although she kept reminding herself it was for James and Patrick.

Jane helped Emma dressed into a black beaded gown and silk gloves and then Emma walked across the hall to Mary's room where she saw Anna dressing Mary.

'Good evening everyone,' Emma said warmly.

The girls nodded at her and Emma sat down next to Sybil, who was looking at a book.

'Why was he taken on?' Mary asked Anna, as Anna was fixing Mary's hair.

'Oh, he was Lord Gratham's batman when he was fighting the Boers,'

'I know that,' Mary said plainly, 'but even so.'

'I think it's romantic,' Sybil said dreamily.

Emma grinned.

'I don't,' said Mary.

'Why not, what better man to look after Papa than the man who saved his life?' Emma said.

'How can a valet do his work if he's lame?'

Emma rolled her eyes and said, 'So how can fighting for England is lame?'

Edith smirked.

'He's not very lame,' Anna said as she finished fixed Mary's hair. 'There, anything else before I go down?'

'No, that's it. Thank you.'

Mary stood up and looked at herself in the mirror as Anna left the room. 'Oh I hate black. I feel like I've been wearing black forever'

'It's not for forever, Mary,' said Emma. She longed to wear colours like a parched man needed water. 'Mama says we can go into half-mourning next month and back to colours by September.'

Mary exhaled and went back to her table to make final adjustments. 'It still seems a lot for a cousin.'

'But not a fiancé?' Edith snipped.

Mary kept her head down, and Emma was watching Mary intently, 'He wasn't really a fiancé.'

'No?' Edith said, on the verge of tears, 'I thought that was what you call a man you're going to marry.'

'I was only going to marry him if nothing better turned up.' Mary said flatly.

Emma's eyes widened.

'Mary, what a horrid thing to say.'

'Don't worry, Edith would've taken him, wouldn't you?'

Edith sounded emotional, 'Yes, I'd taken him, if you had given me the chance; I'd taken him like a shot.'

A few minutes passed and Edith had enough of Mary and stalked out of the room with Sybil following her. Emma stayed, placing a hand on Mary's shoulder in comfort as she was staring at her own reflection.

'Well, I am about to head down, are you coming?' Emma said softly.

'You go,' said Mary, sounding tired.

Emma sighed looked down at her oldest sister, 'I know you're sad about Patrick. Whatever you say, I know it.'

Mary held onto Emma's hand that was Mary's shoulder. 'You're such a darling. But you see, I'm not as sad as I should be, and that's what makes me sad.'

Emma gave a hopeful smile, 'well, maybe you'll have better luck with the next heir.'

Mary scoffed, 'What? A solicitor from Manchester, you make me laugh.'

'Laugh it off, but you may never know, he might be Mr. Right.'

Mary rolled her eyes, 'Really, Emma. Me, the firstborn daughter of Earl Grantham marrying a middle-class solicitor from Manchester? if that ever happened, then the world has gone mad.'

Cora, Mary, Edith, Emma and Sybil walked downstairs for dinner, although they had heard quite a commotion in the drawing room and Emma realised it was her father's voice that was raised. Cora led the girls into the room to disrupt the fiery dispute.

'I hope I don't hear sounds of a disagreement,' Cora said lightly.

Violet answered back, 'Is that what they call discussion in New York?'

'Well, I'm glad you're fighting. I'm glad somebody's putting up a fight.'

'You love a good fight,' Edith murmured, only Emma had heard.

'You're not really fighting Granny, are you, Papa?' Sybil asked worriedly.

'Your grandmother merely wishes to do the right thing. And so do I.'

Carson entered the room and said, 'Dinner is served, my lady.'

September 1912

Emma was relieved it was September; she was joyful to dress in her pale colour dresses and relieved to shop for new gowns. She went into the village with Cora and Edith one day and strangely, Emma's favourite boutique had closed down, so she went to Edith's favourite store and bought two gowns, one pale blue for springtime and the other an evening down that was pale pink with pearls. She was elated to go out riding with Pearl, so she went with Sybil and Edith to their neighbour.

Mary kept to herself since everyone had heard the Duke of Crowborough was visiting Downton and Emma believed the Duke's reason of visiting was to propose to Mary. Once she had heard of the future visit, she had seen Mary smiling dreamily whilst she believed she was in seclusion.

Jane had helped Emma get ready in the late morning for the Duke's arrival. She had never met him, although she had heard he was a bit of a snob in London.

Emma was wearing a pale coral dress and a white soft jacket and pearls around her neck and simple pearl earrings.

'Thank you, Jane, it's looks good, how is your husband?' Emma said, applying lotion on her hands.

'He is feeling much better, thank you, my lady,' Jane said, curling Emma's hair into a neat bun.

'Well, I think better head down, or otherwise Mama will send a search party after me.'

Jane smiled and watched as her mistress walked out of the room.

Emma walked as quickly as she could, she knew she was a little late and almost slipped on the rug as she touched the floor. She huffed and ran outside and hurriedly stood in between Edith and Sybil. Everyone was there, even the staff and Isis.

'Where were you?' Cora asked out of the corner of her mouth.

'Don't worry, I made it in time,' Emma breathed.

The car pulled up in view and Emma pushed her shoulders back and puffing her chest as the car came closer and circled towards them. William opened the door to the car and Robert and the Duke stepped out. Everyone bowed and curtsied as Robert said to the Duke, 'Welcome to Downton.'

The Duke smiled and said, 'Lady Grantham, this is so kind of you.'

'Cora and the duke shook hands and she said, 'Not at all, Duke. I'm delighted you could spare the time. You know my daughter, Mary,'

Cora introduced the daughters and Emma's face turned pink when the Duke's eyes landed on her.

'Lady Emma, I have heard of your charm and the rumours weren't lying,' the Duke said, shaking hands with her.

Emma smiled, noticing Mary's eyes on her, she dared not to turn away, 'You flatter me, Duke.'

Cora's eyes lightened and she turned to gesture Sybil, 'I don't believe you've met my youngest, Sybil.'

'Ah, Lady Sybil,' said the Duke, shaking hands with her.

'How do you do?' said Sybil.

'Come on in, you must be worn out,' Cora said, gesturing for the Duke to step inside.

'Oh, Lady Grantham, I have a confession to make, which I hope won't cause too much bother. My man was taken ill just as I was leaving, so...'

Robert intervened, 'Oh, well, that won't be a problem, will it Carson?'

Mr. Carson looked proud, 'Certainly not. I shall look after His Grace myself.'

'Oh, no, I wouldn't dream of being a nuisance, surely a footman...' the Duke said, then his attention turned to Thomas Barrow, a footman of Downton. Emma didn't really like him, but detested Sarah O'Brien, Cora's maid. Jane had told her what goes on downstairs and hears that Barrow and O'Brien are thick as thieves and conniving as chameleons.

'I remember this man, didn't you serve me when I dined with Lady Grantham in London?'

'I did, Your Grace,' said Barrow.

'Ah, there we are. We shall do very well together, won't we...?'

'Thomas, Your Gace,' said Barrow.

'...Thomas.'

The family headed inside and Emma had started to think about continuing reading Pride and Prejudice when she heard a disturbance behind her and she looked down to see Mr. Bates on the ground on his front.

'Bates! Are you all right?' Robert asked him in concern.

Emma glanced up to see Barrow and O'Brien share a look. She turned to Jane and saw her shake her head, she caught Emma's eye and glanced down pointedly at Mr. Bates.

'Perfectly, my lord. I apologize,' Mr. Bates said.

Emma followed her family inside to have lunchon and soon after Emma went straight to the library where she got her favorite book and went to the drawing room where her mother was embroidering on the lounge chair. Emma enjoyed watching her mother fixed on embroidering; Emma didn't really have the patience for it. She still had the kit in her room that she got from her mother last birthday.

'It looks beautiful, Mama.'

Cora smiled endearingly at Emma as Emma settled sitting on the rug and her book opened at where her bookmark faced. Emma was halfway through her book. She had read it more than fifty times and she still never got tired of it.

It was quiet for some time whilst Cora and Emma chatted about the Duke and Mary and the fine weather when Robert entered the room.

'Good day, Papa,' Emma smiled at him.

Robert smiled back at her.

'Mary's settling him in,' Cora said warmly.

'Robert went over to the piano where he found a book he wanted. 'Cora, don't let Mary make a fool of herself,'

Cora and Emma shared confused looks. Emma never knew Mary to look like a fool, the day Mary looked like a fool would be the day Emma would be a clown.

'By the way, I'll be going up to London next week.'

Cora piped in, 'Do you want to open the house?'

'No, no, I'll just take Bates and stay at a club. I won't be more than a day or two.'

Emma smiled at the thought of London, she hadn't been there in months and it wasn't in good events either, she wished she could go, although on good solid reasons.

'I see. Are things...progressing?'

Emma glanced down at her book and bit her lip.

'What "things"? It's just a regimental dinner.'

Emma flipped a page of the book as her mother said, 'It's a pity Bates spoiled the arrival this afternoon.'

Emma didn't turn away from her book as she said, 'He didn't spoil anything. He fell over.'

'So undignified,' Cora continued and Emma shared a look with her father. 'Carson hates that kind of thing.'

'I don't care what Carson thinks,' Robert said offhandly.

Carson cleared his throat and Emma bowed her head down to hide her embarrassment.

'A message from the Dowager Countess, milady. She says won't come to tea, but she'll join you for dinner.'

Emma took a peak at her mother throwing her father an exasperated expression.

'Oh, Carson,' said Robert, 'I hope weren't embarrassed this afternoon. I can assure you the Duke very much appreciated his welcome.'

'I'm glad,' said Carson stiffly.

'Is Mr. Bates all right?' Emma asked benevolently.

'I think so, my lady,' said Carson.

'Must be so difficult for you all the same,' Cora drawled.

Carson left and Robert said in a low voice, 'Don't stir.'

Emma was relieved it was night. She was looking forward to wear her black couture beaded dress made out of silk and lace she had gotten from Cora from last Christmas. She never wore it because it was a fancy dress. Emma loved dressing up and Jane helped her put on the dress, along with adding a few pieces of jewellery.

Emma sat down in between Mary and Sybil at dinner. She had observed the Duke during dinner and he seemed to be smug about something. Emma glanced at Mary and found her to be troubled whenever the Duke talked.

Emma helped herself to taking a sip of wine whilst her mother talked to the Duke.

'I'm afraid we're rather a female party tonight, Duke, but you know what it's like trying to balance numbers in the country. A single man outranks the Holy Grail.'

'No, I'm er...I'm terribly flattered to be dining en famille,' said the Duke.

Emma set her glass down when Edith spoke up.

'What were you and Mary doing in the attics this afternoon?'

Emma nearly spat out her wine and glanced the Duke who seemed aloof. Emma attentions turned to her eldest sister.

'I expect Mary was just showing the Duke the house, weren't you?' Sybil said reasonably.

'Yes,' said Emma, saving Mary from talking, hoping to distract everyone away from the uncomfortable topic, 'I heard you are a student of architecture.'

The Duke nodded, 'Mm, absolutely.'

Violet said, 'Then I do hope you'll come and inspect my little cottage. It was designed by Rein.'

'Ah.'

'The attics?' Robert underlined.

Emma sighed in failure.

Emma knew Edith was a like a dog with a bone, she wouldn't let the matter rest until there was an answer. 'Yes, Mary took the Duke up to the attics.'

'Whatever for?' Robert asked.

'Why was this, dear?' Cora asked after no one answered.

'We were just looking around,' said Mary, sending a one second look at Emma.

'Of course, Mary told me that she and the Duke were exploring the house,' Emma invented, 'even the attics, when Mary meant the house, she meant the whole house.'

'What is there to explore at but servants' rooms? What was the real reason, hmm?' Edith said in a pushy tone.

Violet chuckled in an unsettled way, 'Don't be such a chatterbox, Edith.'

'I think we'll go through,' Cora said with a relieved tone.

Although Edith kept pushing, 'I still don't understand-'

'Will you hold your tongue!?' Mary snapped.

The men rose from their chairs as the ladies exited the room in order of age.

Emma got up early in the morning and she rushed downstairs after putting on a navy blue dress and had a quick toast for breakfast. She didn't catch the looks of surprise from the servants as she finally made it to the front door and she saw Cora and the Duke of Crowborough talking.

'They have been down if they'd known you were leaving so soon.'

Emma stood next to her mother and she put up a neutral expression, she saw Mr. Bates at the front with a forlorn look and Emma's heart plummeted. Jane had told her last night that Bates was leaving in the morning and Emma found it unfair that he should leave because he had an injury fighting for his country.

'Well, Grantham, this has been a highly enjoyable interlude.'

'Really, I thought it had proved a disappointment,' Emma said dispassionately.

The Duke looked flustered as Robert stood next to his daughter, 'Alas, s-something's come up, which has taken me quite by surprise, Lady Emma.'

'Obviously,' Emma said.

'A short stay in your lovely house has driven away my cares,' said the Duke.

The chauffeur spoke to the Duke, 'We ought to go, my lord, if His Grace is to catch the train.'

The Duke stepped into his motor and Emma watched as Robert said farewell to Bates and Bates got into the motor and the motor drove away.

Emma walked over to her father and said, 'Papa, I wished you didn't let him go, He's a kind man. He shouldn't be sacked because he fought for England, it's not fair.'

Robert glanced at his daughter and he looked uneasy for a moment before he ran after the car and shouted, 'Wait!'

The motor stopped and Robert took out Bates' bag. Mr. Bates got out of the vehicle and Robert said, 'Get back inside and we'll say no more about it.'

Mr. Bates took his bag from Robert and headed back inside, Emma gave him a encouraging smile and he returned one back at her.

'Well done, Papa,' she said, smiled slightly.

Robert smiled wistfully and said, 'It wasn't right, Carson. I just didn't think it was right.'

This story would be publishing episode by episode. I had already written all the chapters for season One. I hope you all are satisfied with the chapter and I hope to update the next chapter soon. Feel free to vote, comment, or even say hello. If there are errors, you can tell me and I would correct it... I had written stories before but I am not a pro at it.

Until next time :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6K 710 63
March 1912 - a baby is abandoned at the doors of Downton Abbey. Servant Thomas Barrow agrees to claim paternity for the foundling. The story mainly r...
11.9K 439 8
Cora Mills was not happy with her daughter marrying a women, even more so when said women turnt out to be the daughter of her worst enemy Snow White...
12.2K 264 13
World War One has now occured and Lady Emma Crawley must either sink or swim in this troubled, dark times. Since the Garden Party in 1914, Emma must...
582 26 14
What if Robert and Cora Crawley had a fourth daughter who were born in 1906 Gabriella is secret hero with Anne Shirley, Diana Barry, Ruby Gills and...