(2) Dracarys (D. Malfoy)

By Lone-wolf-fanfics

Year Three of Hogwarts begins. Daenerys has grown since her first year, personally and physically. She's turn... More

Daenerys 'Dani' Scamander
Other Characters
Shadow-Kissed
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Epi - Weeks Later
News
Daniella Potter
Daniella Family Tree

Chapter Seven

1.6K 130 12
By Lone-wolf-fanfics

Dani and Neville enter their defence against the dark arts class, many of their classmates already there and waiting for it to begin, Dani and Neville actually some of the last to arrive. Neville is nervous about this class and may have dragged his feet. Draco glances at her from his little group of Slytherin, Dani holds her head up as he smirks at her. She's been trying not to think about their interaction in the library. Something shifted between them. She felt it. She no longer instantly finds him annoying him when she looks at him. She saw some other side of him. He wasn't cruel or mean. He was quiet, soft....not kind per se but....a lot nicer than usual. In the centre of the classroom, a tall wardrobe rattle violently. Neville jumps a little and shifts closer to Dani. Remus...Professor Lupin walks closer to the wardrobe.

"Intriguing, yes?" He asks. "Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?"

"That's a Boggart, that is." Seamus offers in a hushed tone.

"Very good, Mr Finnigan. Can anyone tell us what a Boggart looks like?"

"No one knows." Hermione offers, Ron jumps, glances at Hermione, then whispers to Harry.

"When'd she get here?" He asks his friend.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears most. That's what makes it so..." Hermione continues.

"Terrifying, yes. Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a Boggart. Let's practice it now, shall we? Without wands, please... Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" All of the class state together except for Draco who rolls his eyes slightly.

"It's this class that's ridiculous," Draco mutters to himself.

"Good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a Boggart off is...laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Neville, come up here, will you?" Remus continues. Neville eyes the rattling wardrobe, he steps forward queasily. "What would you say is the thing that frightens you most?"

"Profter... Snafpt..."

"Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry."

"Professor Snape." Everyone laughs good-naturedly except for Dani, because she knows just how scared of Snap Neville is. It's a really deep fear. Like her fear of banshees. Remus nods thoughtfully.

"Hmmm... yes. Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?"

"Yes, but I don't want the Boggart to turn into her either." Neville is quick to argue.

"It won't. But I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes, very clearly in your mind. Can you do that?" Remus asks him, Neville closes his eyes.

"She carries a red handbag..." He states to himself.

"That's fine. We don't need to hear it. If you see it, we will. Now, when I open this wardrobe, Neville, here's what I want you to do..." Remus leans close to Neville, whispers to him. Neville's eyes pop open in shock, he glances at Remus uncertainly. "You can do this, Neville." Neville nods nervously, takes a deep breath. "Right then. Wand at the ready. One. Two. Three!" Sparks jet from Remus's wand, strike the doorknob, and the wardrobe bursts open. Instantly, Snape appears, eyes flashing hideously as he stalks forward. Neville backs away in fright. "Think, Neville. Think!" Remus reminds him.

"R-r-riddikulus!" Neville casts. Snape stumbles in a flash of light and reappears in a long, lace-trimmed dress, towering moth-eaten hat and a crimson handbag. Instantly, the class roars with laughter, Dani included (except for Draco and his fellow Slytherins). Neville blinks, amazed, then slowly, grins himself. Remus drops the needle on an old gramophone. As a scratchy rumba fills the room, he points to Ron.

"Ron! Forward!" Snape dissolves into a mad whirling mass, then mutates into a giant spider. As Ron gasps, Harry and Hermione exchange an uncertain glance. Remus puts his hands on Ron's shoulders to steady him. Ron raises his wand.

"Riddikulus!" Roller skates suddenly materialize on the spider's hairy feet and it begins to shuffle crazily in place. Instantly, Ron relaxes as the class' laughter rings out.

"Parvati!" As Parvati steps up, the spider spins faster and faster, a dizzying blur, then reappears as a vampire.

"Riddikulus!" The vampire whips its cloak across its eyes, then lower it again, the class laughs seeing that the vampire is now dressed like Carmen Miranda. As it begins to shimmy about, against its will, the class starts to clap.

"Mr Thomas!" Remus states. As Dean steps up, the vampire's undulating body attenuates, its skin darkening with diamond-thatched scales becoming... a giant cobra.

"Riddikulus!" Dean casts. The cobra's hooded head bobs back and forth, transforms into a Jack-in-the-box. Remus grins.

"Next!" He asks, then turns, finds Dani waiting, familial concern flickers through Remus's face. The Jack-In-The-Box pivots on its spring, its face tumbling toward Dani, becoming more sinister, transforming into a...Banshee. She clutches to her wand, her eyes staring at the banshee, she shakes slightly as her fear sinks into her bones, Remus takes a step forward to help but she doesn't need it. She holds out her wand, determination on her face. The banshee begins to scream, hands come up to cover ears around the class.

"Riddikulus" Dani casts and the banshee's scream turn to streams of fire, retreating back into the banshee's face, transforming into a dragon and on its back sits a giant niffler in a saddle dressed as a cowboy, Dani chuckles. Remus lets out a small huff of laughter. Because only Dani would find comfort in a niffler riding a dragon. The dragon lifts its head and roars. Shaking the room. Dani smiles though, vibrating on her feet with pride. She looks at Remus who smiles back at her, just as proud. She moves to join her classmates.

"Next" Remus then turns to seek out the next student, sees Harry step forward expectantly. The dragon turn, looking straight at Harry, becoming more sinister, transforming into a Dementor. Harry starts to raise his wand, then... freezes, transfixed. The Dementor looms closer and closer. Remus steps between, snaps his wand. "Here!" The Dementor vanishes and a rolling mist appears, which turns to clouds. Something glows within the clouds, white, silvery and round. "Riddikulus!" The orb deflates like a punctured balloon, whizzes crazily about the room, then darts back into the wardrobe. The door slams shut and the class cheers. "Well done, everyone. I think that's enough excitement for today." The class begins to file out of the room, talking excitedly about the lesson. Neville moves to Dani.

"I'll catch up with you," Dani tells Neville who nods and leaves with the rest of the class, Dani slides her wand into her robe and then approaches Remus when the room is empty. "Are you alright, Uncle Moony?" She asks, he looks at her and smiles a little.

"Yes, nothing you need to worry about" He assures her.

"Are you having trouble with...?" She gives him a look, he shakes his head.

"No more than usual" He answers as he moves closer to her. "More concerned about you" He admits. "I promised your father that I would look out for you....with the dementor attack and...." He glances at the wardrobe. "And I should have realised that your Boggart would be a banshee" He admits, she shrugs and looks down at her feet as she scuffs her shoe against the stone floor. "You shouldn't have had to witness that again"

"I miss her" She admits.

"We all do, my dear" He places his hand on her cheek and smiles at her. "How are your dreams? Your father told me you had some trouble last year"

"I have one that is recurring" She answers. "Professor Trelawney is attempting to help me decipher it....but I had a new one last night..." She lets out a breath. "It felt...different"

"Tell me" He offers warmly.

"It's nothing special" She argues. "It's just....." She sighs and shuffles her feet a little. "There was a lion and a serpent" She admits. "And the snake...it's coiled around the lion...." she motions with her fingers. "Wrapped tight...But his mane is on fire..." Remus gives her a look. "I don't know what that means" She admits. "I never know what they mean..."

"Is the snake hurting the lion?" He asks, she looks away and shrugs. "Is the fire hurting it?"

"I don't think so" She answers. "It doesn't feel....it doesn't feel like the lion is in danger...it's more...protective, as if the snake is trying to protect the lion. And it...isn't coiling really..." She stares off at the wall, at nothing in particular. "It's embracing it....it feels...warm...loving..." She suddenly snaps back and looks at Remus. "The last time I dreamt of a snake it ended up meaning the basilisk" She reminds him. "I don't like animal dreams" He chuckles a little and places his hands on her shoulders.

"I am sure you will figure it out...you are a very bright young girl, Dani....so much like your mother"

"Really?" She asks. "Because Dad always says I am much like Newt" He laughs and nods.

"Yes, that I see too" He agrees, she huffs but smiles. She doesn't mind being equal parts her mother and her grandfather. They are among the best people she knows.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.7K 1.4K 20
"She'd promised she'd never leave me." Clara Diggory, Cedric Diggory's sister, Ginny Weasley's best friend. It's her first year at Hogwarts, but not...
13.8K 287 43
"Who is she?" "She is the heir of Godric Gryffindor and quite possibly the most powerful witch the world has ever seen." ...
2.6K 31 28
Now starting her sixth year at Hogwarts, Catherine Collins has discovered that she has quite a talent for finding trouble. She's managed to find tro...
42.2K 1.4K 25
Book cover by @DawnXx :) Amie's in for her third year at Hogwarts with her best friends Hermione, Harry and Ron. This year, a prisoner has escaped fr...