Epiphany | Johanna Mason

By sapphicastronaut

In which a girl feels too much and finds herself at the start of a rebellion. More

Introduction
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter One

6.9K 163 63
By sapphicastronaut

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. 

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. 

"Smile," the woman to her left said as the doors opened. "Just keep walking, don't say a word." She saw the boy before her tense.

"Don't worry," Odette whispered, leaning forward while Neil began walking, leading the group through the mass of bright and loud bodies. "All you have to do it get inside."

The girl was already walking, Miles following quickly. Her eyes scanned the buildings and the people screaming her name while his eyes remained low. Odette didn't remember the first time she'd left the train anymore, every time blurring together. Even after the many years she'd arrived in the same way, it was still overwhelming, even for her.

Rory opened the glass doors, allowing them in the cool interior of the training center with a bright smile. When they fell closed behind them, Odette released a breath, allowing herself to notice the scented air and muffled shouts from outside, easy enough to ignore now. "Come on, we don't want to be late," Rory chirped. He was smaller than the fifteen-year-old boy, but somehow still took up the most room. He grabbed the tributes when they remained unmoving, Miles' eyes widening as he struggled in the hold, searching for Odette.

"It's alright," she said. They had gone over what would happen, but she knew that wasn't enough to truly prepare them. "They're going to wash you and make you ready for the stylist, remember?"

Rory tapped his feet impatiently, arms crossed. Miles took a deep breath, nodding slowly. Odette took a step closer, offering him a smile. "We'll be right there when you're ready."

"Okay," had she looked this terrified the first time she stepped in the building? Much time to ponder wasn't given, because he'd barely spoken the words when Rory ushered them in front of him.

"I need a drink," Neil mumbled when they were out of view. "Somehow, I always forget how exhausting this is."

He didn't need to tell Odette that. The train ride had taken a little over a day, and she'd spent each waking minute trying to console the tributes, answer any question they had. "We've got whiners this year," Cecelia laughed. Odette was the patient one, though she knew they didn't mean it in a harmful way. The two moved first, and Odette had to admit she'd been looking forward to the pink champagne for the majority of the day now. Even more so to take the hour to try and relax. At least to try and think about something else than the Hunger Games.

The hallway was white and bright, the fluorescent lights above them almost blinding. Cecelia halted her movemnets slightly, falling in step next to Odette and linking their arms. It was broad enough for the three of them to walk next to each other. "I hope they have those tiny tarts," she mused. "With pineapple and oranges. Last time I was here they didn't, you never find them like they do here."

Odette chuckled, of course Cecelia knew how to find the good in a place like this. "I hope they have strawberry champagne," they always did. "With strawberries and those blue ones in it."

"You don't even like blueberries," Cecelia bumped her shoulder against Odette's, sending them a few steps to the left.

"Neil always eats them for me," The victors of districts eight were all close. Weekly evenings were spent together, everyone bringing foods or drinks. When the four were together, they could talk for hours. Odette had never felt more understood than with them, even though she was the youngest.

She'd won only a few years ago and been forced to settle in her victor role all too soon. Even so, she'd managed. Survived, at least.

At the end of the corridor came a wooden door, painted the same white as the marble walls. She wondered if they were late. It was unusual for victors to arrive at the same time. They wanted good shots of the tributes and the mentors, which would be impossible if they allowed them out at the same time.

The big waiting hall was a popular place for the mentors. Almost daily they were urged to go there when the tributes were training. Technically, they were allowed to leave, but there was nowhere to go anyway. Sunlight filled the room, the majority of the roof was glass decorated with gold and grand chandeliers. Along the walls were loveseats and some larger couches, a buffet table not too far and some high tables filled with various drinks filling the empty space.

"Oh, I smell something good," Cecelia stepped away from Odette, being lured to the buffet. Odette herself was being called to the drinks. She needed one, preferably more.

Neil was right behind her as she moved to the filled table, handing him a purple drink she knew he enjoyed. "So, how are you holding up?" He'd never been good at conversations like that, his eyes on the table and his tone awkward.

"I'm okay," she appreciated the effort, but it was the last thing she wanted to talk or even think about. "Thank you."

He gave her a nod, sipping his drink as Odette looked across the room. The careers were mostly always together, only few branching out to other districts, the others were more divided. She saw Cecelia talk with Finnick and Cassiopeia and Jack from six near Haymitch. There was only one face she was looking for, though.

"Didn't think I'd see you this year!" She shifted her attention back to Neil, who was hugging Kent from district eleven. "It's nice to see you though, it's been a while."

Odette gave him a smile of recognition, but more than a 'hey' wasn't offered to her. Excusing herself, she roamed further in the hall, enjoying the gentle chatter of people around her, the soft music she hadn't noticed before. She moved to Cecelia, Finnick, and Cassiopeia, still standing at the buffet table.

"Look who's decided to arrive," Cassiopeia said, the victor brushing her dark red hair behind her ear. "Ready to join the fun?"

"You should not say that," Finnick said with a short laugh, picking up a red pastry from the table. "Sounds like we were having a threesome." He clarified when Cassie's eyebrows shot up.

Her mouth fell open at that, Cecelia trying to hold in a laugh. "No one was thinking that!" She swatted at his arm, and Cecelia couldn't hold it in anymore.

At her laugh, Odette couldn't stop her giggle. "It was ambiguous," she said, taking another sip of her champagne.

"Get your minds out of the gutter," she shook her head, pulling her beige cardigan closer to her body. She was only twenty-nine but acted older. She always seemed put together, even though she had a child a few years ago. Odette would be in a constant state of panic knowing her kid could end up in the games one day. "I just meant that it's nice to see you and we're having fun talking."

"Alright grandma," Finnick stepped back just in time to avoid another swat from the woman. Though she was small, she was persistent. "I'm going to get another drink."

Cecelia picked up one more tart before heading to the love seat a few paces from the buffet. "How's Drew?" She asked before taking a bite, spilling a bit of the filling on her shirt.

"He's okay," Cassie was quick to take the free seat beside Cecelia, leaving Odette standing. "I think he'll like the silence now that I'm gone for a few weeks."

"He'll miss you before he's used to the calm," Cecelia said with a nudge. "I hope it won't be too hard to stay away from your son."

"Are you kidding me?" Cassie laughed, taking a sip from her own drink. "I'm glad to be on my own for a few days, i love them, but they suck up my energy."

Cecelia laughed, but a pit was beginning to grow in Odette's stomach. She wondered what that was like. To be in a family that asked a lot of energy, but undoubtetly in a good way. In a way that didn't hurt, that didn't leave her crying and never having a true home. The Hunger Games were only partly to blame for that.

The two older women had continued their chat, but Odette didn't feel like smiling anymore. It was hard to be reminded of something she'd never be allowed to have, no matter how hard she wished she could. She needed another drink.

The drinks were consistently being refilled, and Odette grabbed two flute's, walking towards a calmer area as she downed the first. She hoped it would help her relax like it did during the Capitol parties, but a few glasses of champagne wouldn't do much.

She stopped by a table cluttered with empty glasses, resting her elbows on the cold surface and resting her head in her hands. It was always difficult to be in the Captiol, but it had never been quite so quick she was reminded of that. Then again, this year was even worse.

"There you are," there was a brush of skin against her waist, her head turning towards the voice. "I've been looking all over for you."

At last, there Johanna was. Wearing a shirt with a few holes in it at the hem, pants with dirt on. Undoubtedly just to annoy the escort. Her smug smile made it impossible for Odette to sulk, and without meaning to, she perched up a little, a smile tugging at her own lips. "You'll have to think of a better lie if you want to woo me."

"I still need to woo you?" She placed her empty glass between the others. "I thought we were past that."

Odette smiled down at her drink, her mind on Johanna instead of every horrible thing that was happening to her. It came easy; a smile and a subtle movement. The way her voice almost always sounded teasing. "What can I say, I like some effort."

"I'll remember that," Odette sipped her drink, taking Johanna further in. It had been a year since she last saw or spoke her. That was easily forgotten. She leaned on the table, one foot wrapped around her own ankle, toying with her empty glass. "Are you coming tonight?"

"What?" Odette said before she'd thought twice.

She chuckled, knowing exactly what she did as Odette felt her cheeks heat up, hoping it wasn't visible. "We're having some drinks tonight. Well, just Haymitch and Finnck."

Normally, she would. There were no duties during the evening, no tips to be given. Especially not the first night, but this year was different, and every moment was precious. "I don't know, I'll have to see, I'm pretty tired."

Her eyebrows shot up, half a grin still on her face. She tried not to give in already, picking at a berry in her drink. "Too tired for a drink? With me? Thought you'd be better prepared," she chuckled, pushing herself off the table. "Alright, I'll continue to search for good company."

Before she moved along, the woman winked at Odette, making sure to brush her shoulder against Odette's when she moved past her. Johanna knew damn well the effect she had on her, and Odette hated it.

***

"You don't look ridiculus at all," Odette bumped her shoulder into Miles' as they came to a halt near the carriages. Though he was only fifteen, he was as tall as she was. "Actually, I think the outfit is kind of similair to what they made me wear!"

He groaned, throwing his head back as Thalia and Neil joined them. "So I definitely look ridiculous."

"Hey!" Odette gave his shoulder a push, and though he did look ridiculous, he wasn't the only one. He was covered in different kinds of fabrics, several patterns and colors. It looked like he was wearing a sack.

"I saw district three was covered in weird stuff that isn't even supposed to be clothing," Neil offered. "Maybe the distance will help, too."

Thalia chuckled from where she'd moved to pet the horses, hands still in its mane and a smile on her face despite the situation. "I can't believe you're worrying about clothes."

"Isn't the whole presentation thing important?" Miles raised his eyebrows, leaning against the carriage, and though he was covered in makeup, he looked as if he hadn't slept in weeks. "To survive?"

Odette shifted her weight, eyes scanning the room for nothing in particulair, she simply didn't want to look Miles in the eye. "First impressions are important, but there's more to it,"

"Like your dear aunt crying to her Capitol friends," Odette was surprised by the bitter bite in Thalia's voice. The girls eyes were on the horse, her fingers knitted through its manes. Odette didn't know what to say to that. Of course she was going to do whatever she could to help Miles, Thalia hadn't been on her mind much. It was unfair, but he was family. Even so, she would not run into the arms of men and women who bought her time without her being willing. "We all know that'll happen. I'm already dead, aren't I?"

It was more complex than that, but Odette felt a lump in her throat, her eyes burning with tears trying to escape. She couldn't even deny it. "We're here with three mentors," Neil said, Odette dared to raise her eyes back to him, his face was red, fists balled as he took two steps towards the young tribute. "Keep talking like that and you might be."

"Neil," Odette said softly, the last thing she wanted was the girl to feel unsafe with her own mentors. "It's okay, I get it."

"It's not okay," he turned to her, the sharp edge of his voice as his shoulder began to sag. "We'd never ask you to-"

"I know, it doesn't matter," she gave him a smile, trying to swallow the block in her throat. "Besides, looks like it's time for you to get in!" District one had just left, Odette blinked as fast as she could to push the burning in her eyes away as she ushered the tributes into the carriage. "Try to smile, maybe wave at them, they always love that."

Miles hand was clamped around the iron border, anxiously looking ahead. "You got this," she patted his hand, not finding the strength to do the same for Thalia. She stepped away from the carriage, tugging her lip between her teeth. There was little they could do wrong with this, but there could always be something.

"She doesn't know what she's talking about," Neil said as the carriages slowly moved forward.

Odette took a deep breath, keeping her eyes on the people in front of her. Colorful clothes, all weird looking with people who weren't quite tall enough. "She's not really wrong though," from the corner of her eyes, she saw Neil turned his head towards her at that. "I've barely thought about her. It's all been about Miles."

"He's your nephew," the man said, following her gaze. "Of course you want him to survive. She should've never insinuated what she did."

Odette shrugged, crossing her arms over her belly, feeling too exposed though no one was watching her. Perhaps she should have stayed home. It would've been much easier to watch Miles on a screen. 

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. 

(a/n): and so it begins! i'm very excited for everyone to get to know odette. i love her so much. some practical information i guess: the story will be updated every week, between friday and monday (can't be more specific cause i go home in the weekends and can never really predict how much time i'll have). if you see this thee day i post it; happy new year! i hope you have the best 2022!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99.9K 5.2K 22
Make sure you kiss your knuckles before you punch me in the face. CATCHING FIRE / oc x oc Β© π–†π–“π–™π–Žπ–›π–Šπ–“π–”π–’π–˜
85.6K 1.7K 11
"i'm here to win, not hold hands." [catching fire] [finnick x oc]
172K 6.4K 33
When π‰π”π‹πˆπ„π“π“π„ π€πŒππ‘πŽπ’π„ gets chosen for 68th annual hunger games and her mentor is none other then the capitol darling, π…πˆπππˆπ‚πŠ οΏ½...